PDA

View Full Version : CKP Learn option not working or I am doing something wrong..

marcink
August 5th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Here is the story:
I have a '99 C5 and EfiLive Commercial 7.2.3 prerelease 002. Two days ago I upgraded the OS from 9373372 to 12221588 ("Program PCM operating system and calibrations" option). I transfered important calibrations from my '99 file to the new one before programming of course. When programming I chose the option to preserve the CKP data and at the end of programming I got the message that this data was preserved succesfuly. But when I started the car I got the DTC1336 "CKP Variation not Learned", although the car started and run fine. So I tried to use the CKP Learn option on the scan tool, I did all the procedure steps, got the fuel cut-off at 4000rpm, let it come back to idle, turned it off for 30s. But when started the car again the DTC was still there. So I repeated the CKP Learn procedure a few times already but with no success as till now.

And one more question about the oil pressure sensor - does it have different pressure vs resistance curve between '99 and '02? I am asking this question because my oil pressure as reported by the DIC is much lower now than before the OS upgrade (although I am not sure this was the cause) - 18psi cold vs at least 36 psi cold (20C). So I started to think that maybe '02 OS interprets the pressure sensor voltage in a different way than '99 OS...

Currently I am thinking about programming the '99 OS back and seeing what happens. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marcin

SinisterSS
August 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Programming your '99 OS would take 30 seconds to flash and would be worth doing since it is so easy and may solve all the problems.

hpcubed
August 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I too have a 99 C5 using the above EFI version and just flashed an 02 operating system in. I recieved the same trouble code for CKP re-learn. I did not attempt to perform the re-learn yet as I ran out of time. Is this an issue?

GMPX
August 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
There has been a few reports of this, we are looking into it right now.
It would REALLY help us out if you could Email your last flashed 99 O.S where the code was not setting and then do a read of the updated O.S once it is in the car and the code will not clear.
ross@efilive.com

Thanks,
Ross

mistermike
August 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm glad it's not just me. Whew! I thought I might have toasted a port on the PCM with a jump start gone wrong. I'm sure the good soldiers will root it out. Good news is, the cars are running fine.

Blacky
August 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
We have figured out the problem and it will be fixed in the "real" V7.3 software release, soon.

Regards
Paul

BowlingSS
August 18th, 2005, 09:46 PM
We have figured out the problem and it will be fixed in the "real" V7.3 software release, soon.

Regards
Paul
You guys are good...... Keep up the great work.

Bill
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jfpilla
August 19th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I can't get CPK relearn to work on my 2003. Does this issue apply tp 03's?
No codes.

marcink
August 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Back to my original post: I flashed back my '99 OS and after that I did not get the P1336 code. But it was so just because the P1336 was disabled by GM in the '99 OS as I have found. When I enabled it the DTC came back. What I do not know is if the CKP variation data was missing in my original calibration or if it became corrupt durring the process of changing the OS to 2002 and back.

Also the behaviour of the CKP Learn is different on 99 OS. I am even not sure if it was implemented by GM on this OS. When I try to do the procedure I do not get fuel cut-off at 4000rpm (and I did get it with the 02 OS).

Ross, do you still need me to email you the 99 and 02 tunes I used or it is not necessary anymore as you have figured out the problem?
So is it a problem with the CKP Learn function (scan tool) or with preserving CKP data (tuning tool)?

Thanks,
MarcinK

TAQuickness
August 19th, 2005, 08:30 AM
FWIW - my '00 bird didn't cut fuel till 4800 - at least that's when i felt it

Blacky
August 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
The following conditions are required for a CASE learn:

1. Transmission must be "NOT IN GEAR"
2. Only one *successful* learn attempt per ignition cycle is allowed.
3. ECT must be >= 60 degC (140 degF)
4. Brake pedal must be depressed - although EFILive attempts to bypass that check - not always successfully.
5. Handbrake should be applied - although I am not sure if any operating systems check that - but it can't hurt to have it applied.
6. None of these faults are allowed to be set:
P0335 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Circuit
P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Performance
P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1 Sensor A
P0342 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor A
P0343 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor A
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High
P1539 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit High Voltage
P1546 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit Open
P0705 Transmission Range (TR) Switch Circuit
P0706 Transmission Range (TR) Switch Performance
P1810 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Position Switch Circuit
P1825 Internal Mode Switch-Invalid Range
7. Additionally, EFILive requires the VSS to be 0.

The RPM that you must rev to is a calibrated value in the PCM, so it could be different in some calibrations. But it should be between 4000 and 5000 - if you get to 5000 and have not felt the fuel cut then you've probably gone far enough.
Also the ECT is a calibrated value so it may be higher in some calibrations.

Once you feel/hear the brief fuel cut (it's only about 1/10 of a second), you must get off the throttle completely as the engine rpm must be allowed to decelerate down to idle while the PCM learns the CKP sensor variation.
Then you must switch off the ignition and wait 15-20 seconds for the PCM to write the learned data to non-volatile (flash) memory.

Regards
Paul

jfpilla
August 22nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Paul,
It was me. I got on the gas right with the chime and it worked. I fact it worked at 3000rpm's. Sensor in front?
Thanks for the help.
Joe

Brains
August 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
I've got an odd one that isn't EFILive related -- kinda curious if anyone has run across it though. In my 98 Formula, the speedo will jump off 0MPH if I wind the throttle up -- without the car moving anywhere :lol: So, as soon as I attempt a case learn it terminates because it thinks the car moved ...

Blacky
August 22nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
I've got an odd one that isn't EFILive related -- kinda curious if anyone has run across it though. In my 98 Formula, the speedo will jump off 0MPH if I wind the throttle up -- without the car moving anywhere :lol: So, as soon as I attempt a case learn it terminates because it thinks the car moved ...

I should probably remove the EFILive imposed VSS=0 restriction and make it a warning only. As far as I can tell, the PCM does not check for vehicle speed during the test.

Paul

SinisterSS
August 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
That would be good Paul; mine does the same freaked out speedo during CKP.

Brains
August 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
Wow, and all these years I thought it was just my clunker that did it... 8)