PDA

View Full Version : Shift Range Inhibited when in reverse.

JoshH
April 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
I don't know if this is related to some transmission work I did recently or if it is related to some testing I've been doing with the new DVT stuff, but today my truck started being retarded about going into reverse.

When I put the gear selector in reverse, the light would come on for a second, then it will go off, and a second or two later the DIC would display "Shift Range Inhibited." The first time it did this was yesterday. I was playing with the DVT stuff in the new release of BBL beta. I reset the TAPs and Garage TAPs. I then tried to put the truck in reverse and it didn't want to go. I shut off the truck, disconnected the EFI cable, and tried it again. That time it worked.

Then I decided I'd try the hold a gear and lock the converter stuff. I held it in 5th with the converter locked and it worked great. I then deactivated the DVT and disconnected the scan tool. As soon as I did that I got the "Shift Range Inhibited" message followed by a thunk. I immediately put the truck in neutral, pulled to the side of the road, killed the truck, and restarted it. I didn't have any more problems after that.

Then today I decided I would try to reset TAPs again to see if I noticed a difference in anything (I didn't have time to do a drive and allow it to relearn yesterday). I made about a 10 mile loop, pulled into the parts store to get a tap, and when I got back in the truck it wouldn't do anything when I put it in reverse. I ended up pushing it back out of the parking spot and driving home. When I got home I searched on Diesel Place to see what I could find, but I didn't really turn anything up. I then went back out, hooked up EFI again, reset Garage TAPS and tried it again. When I first put it in reverse it didn't do anything. I went all the way down to "1" and back up to reverse, and it worked. I thought it was fixed, but I drove to get some dinner and when I tried reverse again, it was doing the same thing it had been.

I then tried to reflash the TCM with a new tune. I flashed it in, and once again, reverse was working. I drove it around a little and tried it again. Reverse was still working, but if it has been driven much at all, the little orange gear indicator will flash on and off and on again before it will engage reverse.

Like I said before, I'm not sure if this is related to the BBL stuff, but it didn't start until after I was messing with the DVT stuff.

This is on an '06 6 speed Allison.

GMPX
April 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
At this stage it's hard to say with any degree of confidence as to what is causing the issues.
We might need to wait and see what others with the 6 speed are finding.
Is there a chance the work you did on the trans was related?

Cheers,
Ross

JoshH
April 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Possible, but I doubt it as it was only clutch stuff. Nothing in the valve body was touched, and the issue didn't start until after I had used the new DVT stuff.

GMPX
April 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Josh, I'm not trying to offload blame, just trying to make sure we aren't chasing a non DVT problem.
This might be a big ask, but do you remember at what point the problem started?, like after you reset the TAP's, or commanded 1st gear etc?

Cheers,
Ross

JoshH
April 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
I got the message immediately after resetting TAPs for the first time, and again when disconnecting the scan tool after commanding TCC lock and hold 5th. Then the problem got worse after I reset TAPs this afternoon and went for a drive. I can't say with absolute certainty that it was the DVT stuff that caused it, but it seems awfully coincidental if it isn't.

GMPX
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Josh, well, hopefully there is another 6spd user on here that might be able to test some of what you did to confirm.

Cheers,
Ross

JoshH
April 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks Ross, hopefully one of us can figure out what the problem is. Like I said before, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I figured I'd share, just in case it is related to the new update. If there's anything else you want me to try, let me know.

Jasondt2001
May 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, Josh I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread but I wanted to tell you I had the EXACT same thing happen to me this morning.

I had my trailer all hooked up, walked out to the truck, loaded a different tune.
I figured I'd use the new reset feature and reset all taps (Fast learn and base, the middle taps selection, and garage taps) I reset all 3.
Did NOTHING else(TCM wise). The truck was running when i reset it.
Put the laptop in the passenger seat, put the truck in drive, and nothing but shift range inhibited, i tried reverse, M, and 1 all w/ the same message.
I then just shut off the truck, sat there a moment (and prayed i wasn't stuck) started the truck back up and put it in Reverse. It didn't show any errors but when it went into reverse it slammed/lunged into reverse. Backed up about 5 feet, then put it in drive where it clunked into drive and shifted out fine learning.

Just letting you guys know.

07 cc w/ Alli

Acoombs
May 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Im having the a similar problem expcept mine wont come back at all. I did the same as above I reset everything. I get the shift range inhibited and my truck now wont do anything at all, Ive tried reflashing the ecm the tcm turning the truck off and nothing works. THis is an 06 6 speed trans also.

Cougar281
May 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM
There's definately a problem with the 6speed DVT. I've run a 06 TCM in my truck a few times, and while it doesn't work 100% right due to being in default mode, it always has shifted right (just harsh) and no DTCs other than loss of comms. When I tried DVT this evening, I was getting "Shift range Inhibited", flashing range indicator, dropping to 3rd, etc.... All kinds of funky things that have never happend before. Just FYI. Only function I used was TCC Lock. The problems started pretty much right after I clicked "Activate".

Acoombs
May 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
DId you get it to work again?

Cougar281
May 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
I took the TCM out and went back to my 5 speed TCM, but prior to doing so, the 4 or 5 times it went to "Shift Range Inhibited", I was able to get it to act "normally". I'll have to check later... Hope DVT didn't corrupt my TCM!

Acoombs
May 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
I think mine is toast. It does absolutly nothing just blinks at me.

Acoombs
May 2nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Anyone have an idea on how I can get my truck moving again?

Cougar281
May 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Did you try disconnecting the TCM for a few minutes?

Acoombs
May 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
I got it going again, I disconnected the battery and TCM for about 3 hours. Then I downloaded the ecm and tcm tunes and flashed stock tunes back in.

When I first put it in reverse i had nothing then it clunked at has been working fine ever since.

Here is what I did exactly when the problem ocurred:

I connected my truck to the scan tool from there I clicked the DVT tab and hit active, I then selected the top 3 taps buttons and hit clear on all of them.

I then unhooked efi from my truck and I had nothing just blinked at me and said shift range inhibited. I didnt use any other functions besides the taps reset.

Ive tried to duplicate what happened, now it seems to work fine when I select and clear the taps. Hope that helps.

Cougar281
May 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Good to hear you got going again.

As a note, the only function I was attempting to use is TCC Lock. It seemed to have worked once, but I did start having issues right away after activating DVT.

Code3Response
May 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Anyone else have any updates on this?

JoshH
May 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
What problem are you having? There was an updated file that came out to correct this. I figured out what my problem was, and it had nothing to do with EFI.

Boost
June 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Glad you all got it figured out. Can you post a link to the updated file? Also, what does DVT stand for and are you guys using 6 speed TCMs in your 5 speed because your have an upgraded tranny? Thanks.