PDA

View Full Version : how to tune for cam?

southern
April 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
In a week or two i will be installing a milled set of heads and a mti T1 cam in a 04 gmc 5,3L truck but I have never had to tune for a cam so any pointers would be great. Also is there anything that I can go ahead and adjust before I start it up the first time or do I need to just wait and do it all after the install? thanks guys

azcatfan
April 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I don't know the grind on a T1, but I'd go ahead and get the idle bumped up a bit, to save from stall. That's what I did until I could get help with it....

Aloicious
April 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
In a week or two i will be installing a milled set of heads and a mti T1 cam in a 04 gmc 5,3L truck but I have never had to tune for a cam so any pointers would be great. Also is there anything that I can go ahead and adjust before I start it up the first time or do I need to just wait and do it all after the install? thanks guys

I'm not familiar with that cam either, but I'm still working on tuning my truck from a cam swap and other stuff. you'll basically want to do the normal tuning stuff. AutoVE, RAFIG/RAFPN, AutoMAF (If you're running a MAF), bump up the idle depending on what the cam likes, there is a good thread around here somewhere about tuning the idle after a cam swap. I've been tuning mine almost daily for about a month now and its still not perfect, but then again I'm no tuning expert, so expect it to take some time to get right. (plus I've got some POS injectors that are giving me problems so I'm swapping them to some better ones)

southern
April 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM
MTI T1 221/221 .559/.559 112 lsa if that helps any

BowlingSS
April 27th, 2008, 12:57 AM
MTI T1 221/221 .559/.559 112 lsa if that helps any

That is a pretty mild cam. You should not have too many problems. When I installed mine I was rich down low and had to lean it out.I would do your cold/warm idle first and then your VE table. I am not running a MAF so I did not have to mess with that.

Good luck.

Bill
:notacrook:

southern
April 27th, 2008, 04:19 AM
not to mild of a cam for a 4x4 ecsb truck, I think a 3k stall should suit it well but I am going to wait and see how the power band is first.

BowlingSS
April 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM
not to mild of a cam for a 4x4 ecsb truck, I think a 3k stall should suit it well but I am going to wait and see how the power band is first.

A stall would really wake it up. I love my stall.

Bill
:beer::beer::throw:

JezzaB
April 27th, 2008, 08:22 AM
-Up the idle speed a little
-Do a cold start RAFIG
-Change the over and under speed correction on the spark to try and stop it by slowing the wide stock swing from base spark commanded timing.
-Change the Base spark table into a block of the same timing (say 22deg) around the kpa and rpms of it idling.
-Do an autove
-Try commanding 14.5 at idle and in open loop as the O2 swing can cause the idle to fluctate when the o2s are switching

It is a juggliing act of fuel, spark and desired airflow. The bigger the cam the more balls you have in the air :D

The after it is idling ok you can lower the idle speed a bit and work on the Throttle Cracker and Follower

Good luck mate.

Jez

southern
May 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
well I have the idle at 800 for now and it will start and idle now. What do I need to start with first auto VE or what do yall usually start with. here is my tune if yall could take a look at it. thanks

TAQuickness
May 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
This might help http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=68427#post68427

southern
May 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
hey I got it to idle for the most part but I have a problem if I rev it in park and just let off the gas it will idle down to low and stumble and die. What do I need to look at for that?

azcatfan
May 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Throttle Cracker adjustment needed....