PDA

View Full Version : BB Logging beta update: April 26, 2008

Blacky
April 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM
IMPORTANT
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO,
YOU MUST UPDATE FLASHSCAN'S BOOT BLOCK TO V2.05.08(0426)
BEFORE
YOU ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE TO V2.05.16 OR LATER.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804

Download here:
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILive_Beta_Update_April_26_2008.zip (19Mb)
This download includes and supersedes all previous BBL beta downloads.

Please read the Readme_First.pdf file included in the zip file.
It has been revised for this release and contains important information about how to upgrade the boot block in your FlashScan and/or AutoCal devices.

Make sure you update your FlashScan (and/or AutoCal) firmware and boot block using the latest *.ffw files from the \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi folder\.

Please read the first posts in the March 20, March 26, April 07 and April 14 releases so that you are aware of the previous versions' pre-requisites.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7566
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7643
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7747
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7809

Regards
Paul

kbracing96
April 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Damn, I though this was gona be packaged as a full install, not more pieces, lol. I want to try BBL, and serial input of my WB but I'm afraid I'm too far behind with all the step it takes to get to here, lol.

Blacky
April 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Damn, I though this was gona be packaged as a full install, not more pieces, lol. I want to try BBL, and serial input of my WB but I'm afraid I'm too far behind with all the step it takes to get to here, lol.

You don't need to do any of the previous steps, just start with this latest release. It includes everything that has been in the previous beta releases (except the problems).

Regards
Paul

kbracing96
April 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You don't need to do any of the previous steps, just start with this latest release. It includes everything that has been in the previous beta releases (except the problems).

Regards
Paul

Well then, I might just have to try it next week after I tune the 3 cars I have on the books :)

I'll use my room mates V2 since my truck is on it too, haha, in case I have any problems :D.

swingtan
April 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Guys,

The good news first.... The TechEdge serial data looks excellent, thanks a lot for getting this added so quickly.

Now on to the "not so good" news. I just tried 2 BBL sessions and both log files come up with the error above. Opening the logs in a Hex editor shows the data is different from the old logs, with no delimiter data between some of the Meta data details.

During the upgrade I formatted the config file system and copied over the new files. I've checked my PID count and it is only 17.

Sample file is attached....

Update: I just went through the log file with the Hex editor and added in a few "0D 0A" characters at the right spots and the file opens cleanly. The addresses are.....
0x042C
0x0443
0x0450
0x0596

Redline Motorsports
April 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Paul,

How far out is the stable release??

Howard

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Now on to the "not so good" news. I just tried 2 BBL sessions and both log files come up with the error above. Opening the logs in a Hex editor shows the data is different from the old logs, with no delimiter data between some of the Meta data details.

I changed the return codes from the write() function to allow the file system stats to be collected. But failed to update the code that writes the meta data:bash:.
Attached firmware update should fix that.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Paul,
How far out is the stable release??
Howard

I'm confident this version is 99.9% safe. There may be a few niggly bugs left but nothing that will cause a major failure. But maybe give it a few days to see if anything unexpected shows up...

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
April 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Do we all need to use the new firmware just posted.

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Do we all need to use the new firmware just posted.
Yes, otherwise black box log files will be unreadable in th eV7 scan tool software. Unless you want to modify the files using a hex editor like swingtan described.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
April 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Keep getting this error when I unzip and update for BBL , then open EFILive Explorer :

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/My-fotos/EFILive_Error2.jpg

I just click o-k , anything to this ?

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
With the address shown in the dialog box, I can track down the source of the fault. Once I find it I'll let you know what is causing it and whether it will affect any further operation of the software.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
First up, thanks heaps for the firmware fix. Great effort as usual!

I've been getting these off and on for that last couple of releases but had put them down to the work laptop image and / or my use of the laptop. I tend to you the "sleep" function heavily and only reboot if there is a Windows update or I start seeing problems like slow downs or the above mentioned "access violations". I have received these errors from the Hapi driver when connecting the V2, from the Tune tool when saving files and the scan tool at various times. From now on I'll note the addresses and pass them through.

Simon

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Keep getting this error when I unzip and update for BBL , then open EFILive Explorer :

I just click o-k , anything to this ?

Clicking ok is ok. It is caused when EFILive_Explorer is attempting to load the settings from a previous session. I.e. trying to display the last used folder etc.
The second time you run the software it should be ok.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
First up, thanks heaps for the firmware fix. Great effort as usual!

I've been getting these off and on for that last couple of releases but had put them down to the work laptop image and / or my use of the laptop. I tend to you the "sleep" function heavily and only reboot if there is a Windows update or I start seeing problems like slow downs or the above mentioned "access violations". I have received these errors from the Hapi driver when connecting the V2, from the Tune tool when saving files and the scan tool at various times. From now on I'll note the addresses and pass them through.

Simon

Thanks, that will help. Also documenting the steps leading up to any error will help more so.

Regards
Paul

Kevin Doe
April 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I changed the return codes from the write() function to allow the file system stats to be collected. But failed to update the code that writes the meta data:bash:.
Attached firmware update should fix that.

Regards
Paul

Did you edit the .zip file in your first post to include the new firmware file?

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Did you edit the .zip file in your first post to include the new firmware file?
No, not yet. It will be V2.05.18 when I do.
Paul

Goldfinger911
April 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I thought I should chime in. This is the first firmware and boot block I have had problems with. I first updated my v7x and v8 folders. Then started EFILive Explorer. I got the Access Violation. Second start attempt worked fine. I flashed the new boot block and it stuck in dead poll. Couldnt update the bootblock or firmware. The good news it, I went back to the 0414 EFILive Explorer, and reflashed that bootblock successfully. Then successfully flashed back to the 0414 firmware. Now it works fine. Tried the 0426 again and same errors. Went back to 0414 again and all is good. Mucho problems with this one looks like. Any logs you need or want to see, Paul?

Goldfinger911
April 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
UPDATE: I used the 0414 EFILiveExplorer to flash the 0427 bootblock and firmware and now it seems to woork fine with the latest version. At least the version numbers in 'Explorer show it is current.. and I have the Inverse feature. Weirdness. All is good now I will try BBL in the morning.

Hyper99
April 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Had the same problem with the Exeption Error

Noticed that when programming the firmware, EFI Explorer used to give a percent of completion. Mine just sat there, and finally said complete......Strange.....Hope it works tomorrow.:wallbash:

Blacky
April 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Had the same problem with the Exeption Error

Noticed that when programming the firmware, EFI Explorer used to give a percent of completion. Mine just sat there, and finally said complete......Strange.....Hope it works tomorrow.:wallbash:

From the Readme_First.pdf file:

While FlashScan's firmware is being programmed a "percentage complete" counter will be displayed from 0% to 100%. Sometimes that counter may "freeze", however the reprogramming process will continue. It should be complete in less than 20 seconds. A dialog box indicating success will be displayed when the programming is complete.I do not know why that happens. It happens outside of EFILive_Explorer's control. :( If I ever figure it out I'll fix it.

Regardless, if FlashScan boots normally (not into dead poll) then you can be sure that a firmware update was successful. FlashScan has built in CRC checks similar to the GM ECMs which will gaurantee that the data programmed into FlashScan is 100% correct.

If even just 1 bit of 1 byte is wrong, FlashScan will boot into dead poll forcing you to retry the firmware update.

Regards
Paul

dfe1
April 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Upgraded to 2.5.08 boot block and 2.05.17 (427) with no problems. Logging worked fine. One thing I did notice is that in the Options.ini file under PSL_LS2, the node for FuelSys is listed as PCM. Every other node is ECM or TCM. This probably has no effect on operation, but it "looks" like a mistake and may be the cause of some confusion in the future.

tobyk321
April 28th, 2008, 03:33 AM
ok so i just did the update, everything went good i was able to record a log with the v2. now how do i read it in the scan tool?

Chevy366
April 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Can we use the Digital data from the wide-band in pass through to log BENs for AutoVE and other processes ?
If so how , did I miss a key process somewhere ?

Redline Motorsports
April 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Is this a stable release?

Howard

Chevy366
April 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Can we use the Digital data from the wide-band in pass through to log BENs for AutoVE and other processes ?
If so how , did I miss a key process somewhere ?

Never mind found this in a old thread :http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7445&highlight=digital+data&page=15

Post #143

Blacky
April 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Never mind found this in a old thread :http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7445&highlight=digital+data&page=15

Post #143

The PID you should log is one of these: (taken from sae_generic.txt)

CALC.BEN1 "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, LS1 style"
CALC.BEN2 "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, LS1 style"
CALC.BEN1_B "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, LS2 style"
CALC.BEN2_B "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, LS2 style"
CALC.BEN1_E38 "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, E38 style"
CALC.BEN2_E38 "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, E38 style"

"Bank 1" and "bank 2" correspond to wide band controller 1 and wide band controller 2 respectively if you have two controllers.
Otherwise if you only have one wide band controller always use "Bank 1" - even if your O2 sensor is in bank 2.

Regards
Paul

AGRO
April 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I keep getting this when trying to install V2.04.72.ffw :confused:
the two leds are flashing (dead poll):bash:

ScarabEpic22
April 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Have you started with BBL beta firmware yet or are you trying to get to a point where you can begin beta testing? If you already have an older version of the BBL beta firmware then you need to use EFILive Explorer in the V8 folder to program FlashScan V2.

AGRO
April 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
do you mean this? i have intsalled the first release of bbl beta software.
i have programmed V2.05.08 (V@.05.08) (bootblock) when i hit the refresh button V2.05.04 (bootblock) comes up :confused:

Blacky
April 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Once your boot block is greater than 2.04.xx (i.e. once it gets to 2.05.xx or later) you can only use the EFILive_Explorer.exe program to reflash the firmware and or boot block. You can no longer use the EFILive FlashScan Firmware Programming Utility.

Please read the ReadMe_First.pdf document really carefully. It says that to flash a new boot block the FlashScan MUST NOT be in deadpoll. So, if your flash scan IS in dead poll you must FIRST program some valid firmware.
That means you really need to program back in the FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw firmware (that matches you V2.05.04 boot block).
Once that is done, THEN upgrade the boot block to V2.05.08 (while FlashScan IS NOT in deadpoll). Progreamming the boot block will put FlashScan into dead poll once it is done.
THEN you can program the V2.05.17 (or V2.05.18) firmware.

P.S. At no stage should you program in the V2.05.06 boot block - it may brick your FlashScan unit.

Regards
Paul

AGRO
April 28th, 2008, 12:26 PM
:doh2: i feel embarrased! thanks alot Blacky worked fine, i still have not learned my lesson, i am the sort of guy that does not look at the instruction's whilst putting a tv cabnet together!

after this little scene it sure has taught me a lesson.:book:

once again thank you.

Hyper99
April 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Paul,

I usually breeze through the PDF for the important notes. Guess I should read more carefully.:lookaround:

From the Readme_First.pdf file:

Quote:
While FlashScan's firmware is being programmed a "percentage complete" counter will be displayed from 0% to 100%. Sometimes that counter may "freeze", however the reprogramming process will continue. It should be complete in less than 20 seconds. A dialog box indicating success will be displayed when the programming is complete.
I do not know why that happens. It happens outside of EFILive_Explorer's control. :( If I ever figure it out I'll fix it.

I did note today that while monitoring AFR on the INNOVATE - Flashscan was fine, but would jump into the FREE AIR CALIBRATION screen and display 19-20% - then jump back to reporting what looked like "real" numbers. It got to the point where I had to reboot the unit because it was stuck in that screen.

I don't really think it tried a calibration in the actual INNOVATE control while driving or the AFR numbers would be really wacked. Once V2 was rebooted, it was fine for awhile (20 minutes) and then did it again upon decel from a high speed run. Was intermittent over a 2.5 hour drive. Very strange. All connections were checked, and everything looked fine.

Ideas?? Will be testing again tomorrow to see if there is a pattern.

Blacky
April 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
and then did it again upon decel from a high speed run. Was intermittent over a 2.5 hour drive. Very strange. All connections were checked, and everything looked fine.

FlashScan will display free air whenever the Innovate device sends that it is detecting "Free Air". That will happen in decel fuel cutoff - since the injectors are off and the engine is just pumping air through the exhaust.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "jump into the FREE AIR CALIBRATION screen and display 19-20%"?
Did it jump to the free air calibration screen that you see after pressing the "0" key? Or did it just display "Free Air?".

Regards
Paul

Hyper99
April 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I was crusing along and it changed from the Lambda /AFR display to the Free Air calibration screen - 20% . After a few seconds, it would switch back to the Lambda/AFR screen, then go back to the Free Air Calibration screen and it would always display 20% complete in the Free Air calibration screen. I was not even touching the unit, it was sitting on the seat next to me. TP did not seem to dictate what it was doing other than that one high RPM run.

swingtan
April 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi guys,

Today I had 2 errors with Tune.exe.

The first error was the Access Violation error and occurred when I went down to the car after work and pulled the laptop out. I had left the laptop on from when I was working and just pulled the cables out ( monitor, power, LAN and possibly the V2 unit ) and carried it down to the car. When I opened it up again, Outlook complained that it had lost connection and as I clicked on the tuning tool, the error popped up. Window is shown in the first attached image.

The second error was a new one and occurred when I tried to revert a tune file back to the saved version. I received a "TFsCal.GetMap: 0 out of range: 0.. -1." error. This was pretty terminal and I had to resort to killing the process to shut down the application. Window is shown in the second attached image.

Simon.

oztracktuning
April 29th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Innovate units do that - they say % oxygen rather than AFRs when the cars are in Decel or very lean.

oztracktuning
April 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
How good at flashing are people finding the V2s running BB beta now, i have a need to modify my main unit so i can use the serial afr feature for tuning now. Do i do it (take the leap) or wait?? I have used a scan only unit so far for BB. I do E38, LS1b and E40 plus also some T43s.

Chevy366
April 29th, 2008, 02:22 AM
The PID you should log is one of these: (taken from sae_generic.txt)

CALC.BEN1 "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, LS1 style"
CALC.BEN2 "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, LS1 style"
CALC.BEN1_B "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, LS2 style"
CALC.BEN2_B "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, LS2 style"
CALC.BEN1_E38 "BEN Factor Bank 1, Serial Wideband, E38 style"
CALC.BEN2_E38 "BEN Factor Bank 2, Serial Wideband, E38 style"

"Bank 1" and "bank 2" correspond to wide band controller 1 and wide band controller 2 respectively if you have two controllers.
Otherwise if you only have one wide band controller always use "Bank 1" - even if your O2 sensor is in bank 2.

Regards
Paul

Thanks ,
Found the CALCs and will try later on today .
Don't know how I missed this . :secret::mrgreen:

Hyper99
April 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Innovate units do that - they say % oxygen rather than AFRs when the cars are in Decel or very lean.

After testing again today, that is exactly what is happening. Yesterday the V2 would not leave that screen even under accelleration. I had to reboot it to get back to the AFR screen.

The V2 was hot from being in the truck all day. Today it has worked fine.

My mistake originally thinking that it was in FREE AIR calibration mode when I saw the percentage.:doh:

Thanks for the info.:mrgreen:

Blacky
April 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,
Today I had 2 errors with Tune.exe.
Simon.

Can you reproduce the errors with a reliable sequence of steps?
Regards
Paul

swingtan
April 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'll try........

I just tried a few "reverts" after editing the VVE on an E38 tune. Every time it brought up the "TFsCal.GetMap:0 out of range: 0..-1." error. Changes to other setting looks to be fine, but any changes in the VVE cause the error. If you don't attempt a "revert" it seems to work fine.

Simon.

GMPX
April 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
How good at flashing are people finding the V2s running BB beta now, i have a need to modify my main unit so i can use the serial afr feature for tuning now. Do i do it (take the leap) or wait?? I have used a scan only unit so far for BB. I do E38, LS1b and E40 plus also some T43s.

Steve, there would be an advantage in going to the latest as the CAN based controllers now program faster.
The compiler issue Paul found the other day seems to have sorted out a number of issues with the VPW based controllers not programming correctly.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
April 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM
The second error was a new one and occurred when I tried to revert a tune file back to the saved version. I received a "TFsCal.GetMap: 0 out of range: 0.. -1." error. This was pretty terminal and I had to resort to killing the process to shut down the application. Window is shown in the second attached image.

Simon.

I remember this one happening a while ago, it was some weird combination of what was opened previously and then trying to edit the Virtual VE tables. Did you happen to have open a non E38 file open before editing the E38 file? From memory that was what I had to do, but, I never was really able to nail it down.

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
April 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I remember this one happening a while ago, it was some weird combination of what was opened previously and then trying to edit the Virtual VE tables. Did you happen to have open a non E38 file open before editing the E38 file? From memory that was what I had to do, but, I never was really able to nail it down.

Cheers,
Ross

No, in all cases I was only working on E38 files. I thought it may have been something to do with Scan.exe hooking into Tune.exe but the problem is still there even if Scan.exe is not open.

Simon

Further update: It occurs when attempting to close the tuning file after altering any one of the VVE graphs. There is no need to generate co-effs. or generate the VVE. Simply altering one cell will do it. If you try and close the file without saving, the error occurs. Here's the kicker..... If you close the VVE "item" <file> - <close item> or <CNTRL>F4, it is OK. You can then close the file without error as well as reverting. It seems to be isolated to just the VVE Table screen.

Blacky
April 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I'll try........

I just tried a few "reverts" after editing the VVE on an E38 tune. Every time it brought up the "TFsCal.GetMap:0 out of range: 0..-1." error. Changes to other setting looks to be fine, but any changes in the VVE cause the error. If you don't attempt a "revert" it seems to work fine.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I reproduced it here and it is now fixed. It was the order I was closing the windows. During the revert, I closed the coeffs window first, then generated the coeffs from the changed VVE values which caused EFILive to attempt to save the new coeffs into the non-existent coeffs window.
Now it generates the coeffs, then closes the window.

Paul

swingtan
April 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Here's an update on the Access Violation errors.

I was doing some testing and can reproduce the error as shown in the attached image. Basically all I need to do is extend the windows desk top to an external monitor, or reduce an extended desk top back to a single screen. As soon as I try to access anything in the application, I get the error.

I think this should help out a bit.

Simon.

Ninety8C5
April 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I updated to the latest release after getting my V2 back from Ira and everything went well. This morning I tried to do some logging and had two problems. The first one was that 'DYNCYLAIR_M' was not recognized. I thought this had been fixed for the 98 PCM in the update just before I fried my V2.

The second problem happened after I stopped a log and then went to restart it, The V2 froze on the 'Please Wait' screen. After a re-boot it worked. If I reselect PIDs (different or the same ones) and then restart logging, the V2 does not freeze up.

swingtan
April 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
The second problem happened after I stopped a log and then went to restart it, The V2 froze on the 'Please Wait' screen. After a re-boot it worked. If I reselect PIDs (different or the same ones) and then restart logging, the V2 does not freeze up.

I've seen this as well. The first BBL session will start logging fairly quickly and works fine. however if you terminate that log and then start a new one, it takes a while before the logging actually starts. I've waited around 30 seconds or so and after that it's back to normal. So far I've only tested this with saving to the SD card but I'd like to try saving internally to see if there is a difference.

Simon

Lennart
May 1st, 2008, 05:56 AM
Tried to use the DSP5 switchable tunes via V2 today without any success. Is there anything special that needs to be done in the tune to make it work with the V2?

joecar
May 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
I have been testing this update (0427) on my 2001 LS1 and BBL seems fine, so far.

I did note that EE gets an access violation the very first time you run it on a PC.

Blacky
May 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I updated to the latest release after getting my V2 back from Ira and everything went well. This morning I tried to do some logging and had two problems. The first one was that 'DYNCYLAIR_M' was not recognized. I thought this had been fixed for the 98 PCM in the update just before I fried my V2.

I'm working on both these issues today.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Tried to use the DSP5 switchable tunes via V2 today without any success. Is there anything special that needs to be done in the tune to make it work with the V2?

I'm pretty sure Ross has not released the software switchable DSP5 custom OS's yet. Once he does, you'll need to apply the new OS which will then support the software switching.

Regards
Paul

Lennart
May 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
I am running the 05875805 V5 OSID....not sure if that one will support the switchable tunes.
From what Ross posted I assumed it was available already:
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=65315&postcount=8
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=65428&postcount=10

Blacky
May 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am running the 05875805 V5 OSID....not sure if that one will support the switchable tunes.
From what Ross posted I assumed it was available already:
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=65315&postcount=8
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=65428&postcount=10

It's done and tested and works, Ross is just trying to figure out the least painful way to upgrade existing DSP5 customers with the new tune.

If we released it now, it would require reflashing the truck to stock, the re-installing the new DSP5 operating system. We are working on a away to allow existing DSP5 customers to update to the new software selectable version without having to go back to stock first.

Regards
Paul

Lennart
May 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
I don't think this is such a big issue as most people interested in the V2 switchable tunes either run stock or DSP2. Took me about 5 minutes in the car to create a DSP5 tune from my DSP2.

nevinsb
May 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
It took a little goofing around, but I now have beta running on my V2/computer. The biggest issue I had was trying to load the config files. I tried formatting it from the V2 scanner, but got a FAT32 error when I loaded the configs. I had to format the config area from the EFILive Exporer, config files page.

I am just wondering from the pictures, am I the only one running XP?

This is a great forum, hopefully I will be visiting more frequently.

Now I just have to figure out how to hook my AEM wideband up to it.

Would it be possible to have the boot checkbox automatically selected when you select bootloader FW?

The other thing I was wondering if it was possible to add descriptions to the DTCs on the scanner, maybe save them on the SD card?

Also, I think being able to switch from internal/SD from explorer would be nice to have, the ability to copy items between the internal/SD also.

ringram
May 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Well Im looking forward to BBF (Flashing) :)
Then I wont need the laptop in the car at all.

Blacky
May 1st, 2008, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the bug report. Found the problem. The fix will be in the next update.

Paul

Blacky
May 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
I tried formatting it from the V2 scanner, but got a FAT32 error when I loaded the configs. I had to format the config area from the EFILive Exporer, config files page.

That is expected, the format you can do from the handheld device formats the log files area. The format you do from the [Config] tab page formats the "config" area. They are two different volumes inside FlashScan. Think of them as two drives on your PC (i.e. C: and D:) that can be formatted independently of each other.

There is no option to format the config file system from the hand held device itself. As doing so would render the handheld device practically useless until new files were copied into the Config file system. Copying the files requires a PC so you would need a PC on hand anyway. So by restricting formatting of the Config file system to a PC there is no way to accidentally delete all the config files while "out in the field".

The software is tested on XP here before it gets released. However, I know of a number of testers still using XP. (Ross aka GMPX is using XP).

Would it be possible to have the boot checkbox automatically selected when you select bootloader FW?
Good idea - I'll implement that.

The other thing I was wondering if it was possible to add descriptions to the DTCs on the scanner, maybe save them on the SD card?
That is already planned as part of a future update. Just working on the code to format the text nicely on a 21 character x 8 line screen.

Also, I think being able to switch from internal/SD from explorer would be nice to have, the ability to copy items between the internal/SD also.

Unfortunately the design of FlashScan only allows one or the other of the internal or SD file systems to be active at any one time. That makes it difficult to copy files between the two. Unless of course you copy the files to a PC then change file systems form Internal to SD (or vice versa) and then copy the files back again. But I'm guess copying the files without requiring a PC is what you were after.

Regards
Paul

Lennart
May 2nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
Paul,

as soon as the switchable tunes become available I am more than happy to test them, but I realized that you always need to cancel out of logging before switching tunes. It would be very nice if you could switch tunes while loggin to see an immediate effect.
Another question on switchable tunes, which tune is tune #1 in the V2? Is it the base tune and #2 is DSP#1, #3 is DSP#2 ...

joecar
May 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'm running EFILive on XP on a desktop and two laptops.

joecar
May 2nd, 2008, 02:37 AM
nevinsb, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

Toired Old Man
May 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
Can't load PID's or select vehicle
Bootblock 2.5.08 Firmware 2.5.17
Can read ECM and TCM

ringram
May 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Can read ECM and TCM

More info might be helpful

Otherwise try plugging it into the car :)

joecar
May 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
Can read ECM and TCMTOM, welcome to the forum... :cheers:

Blacky
May 2nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Can read ECM and TCM

Have you formatted the [Config] file system and copied the Options.ini file and the *.pmm files to FlashScan?
If you have, make sure the first section in Options.ini is called *PID_SELECTIONS instead of *VEHICLES. It was changed form *VEHICLES to *PID_SELECTIONS is a recent release.

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
May 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately the design of FlashScan only allows one or the other of the internal or SD file systems to be active at any one time. That makes it difficult to copy files between the two. Unless of course you copy the files to a PC then change file systems form Internal to SD (or vice versa) and then copy the files back again. But I'm guess copying the files without requiring a PC is what you were after.
I have stuff stored in both the internal storage and on my SD card, because usually, I have the SD card stuck in something else. I was thinking maybe a drop down menu for internal/SD in the explorer, so I didn't have to go thumbing my way through menus on the V2 to download scans/tunes to the PC.

Even if they had to go to the PC to get from the internal to the SD, I would be OK with that.

It's not a big deal, and I'm sure you have other things to worry about. I should just probably spend the $14 on another 2GB SD to leave in the FlashScan.

joecar
May 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Amazon has SanDisk 2GB SD memory cards for $4.89 right now (shipping is $7):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J47W12

:cheers:

nevinsb
May 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
I remember when I paid over 100 for a 125 MB USB drive... that's just wrong.

Another suggestion :)

To be able to drag items to/from the lower pane of the explorer window to/from the local filesystem (like the desktop, or into a folder)

In any case, I crashed the EFI explorer (not responding) by copying .efi files from the flashscan to the "My Documents" folder. Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I have not closed it yet.

Toired Old Man
May 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Can read ECM and TCM

I can't find an options.ini Period>>>>>>>Where is this supposed to be????
Yes I have formated bothSD and Internal, and drug all config files frm V8\Hapi folder to V2 config folder w/Explorer.
I have a 2GiG SD card

What have I not done right

joecar
May 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Options.ini is supposed to be in the folder: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\Config

You used EFILive Explorer, right...?

When you dragged all files, Options.ini should have been included.

Post some screenshots....

Toired Old Man
May 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Options.ini is supposed to be in the folder: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\Config

You used EFILive Explorer, right...?

When you dragged all files, Options.ini should have been included.

Post some screenshots....

Screen Shots ???????? How???????

Toired Old Man
May 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Screen Shots ???????? How???????

I unziped the april update and took the options.ini and installed it in Hapi/config
Now I have PID's what else should I look for?????????? and thanks a bunch for all that you've done so far

Blacky
May 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Copy ALL files from
\Progam Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\Config
to the[Config] tab pag eon FlashScan.

Then select the very first menu option on the FlashScan screen:
F1 Select PIDs
That will present you with a list of PID selections for various controllers.
Choose the one that matches your target vehicle.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I remember when I paid over 100 for a 125 MB USB drive... that's just wrong.

Another suggestion :)

To be able to drag items to/from the lower pane of the explorer window to/from the local filesystem (like the desktop, or into a folder)

In any case, I crashed the EFI explorer (not responding) by copying .efi files from the flashscan to the "My Documents" folder. Is there any way to troubleshoot this? I have not closed it yet.

Yes, I would also like to have the option to drag/drop files directly to the local file system (i.e to/from Windows explorer). That may be implemented if/when I get some spare time :)

Click on the Trace checkbox (at the bottom of the EFILive_Explorer screen) to display diagnostic info on the drag/drop operations.

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Screen Shots ???????? How???????If you ever want to post a picture of your screen (1 pic == 1000 words), here's how:

showthread.php?t=3064 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

Toired Old Man
May 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Open Explorer and I get (Explorer start ) click ok and get (Open BBL Log)
This is the about showing showing sotware version
I went to Explorer and drug .EFI logged files to logged data to read and got in trouble.
Help is always appreciated

joecar
May 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You have to shutdown the scantool/tunetool while running EFILive Explorer...

Blacky
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I went to Explorer and drug .EFI logged files to logged data to read and got in trouble.

I think that error message should say "...can only be opened with EFILive V7.5.4 or later." instead of "...can only be opened with EFILive V7.5 or later."

Can you please check the EFILive Scan Tool software version using Help->About? It must be V7.5.4 or later to be able to load black box logging files.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Lets try this

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Why are you using 7.5.3 b36 instead of 7.5.4 b50? Thats probably the problem, have you extracted the BBL files and overwritten the files in the Program Files\EFILive\ folder?

Toired Old Man
May 5th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Lets try this

More problems????????????

Toired Old Man
May 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
YET another

Blacky
May 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
From the looks of that screen shot, it appears you have unzipped the V7.5.4 zip file into \My Documents\EFILive.

It MUST be unzipped into \Program Files\EFILive

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM
From the looks of that screen shot, it appears you have unzipped the V7.5.4 zip file into \My Documents\EFILive.

It MUST be unzipped into \Program Files\EFILive

Regards
Paul

I Just made sure that it was as you stated ( in program files) and it is. The same problem exists

joecar
May 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
TOM,

In scantool/tunetool do Help->About and post screenshots.

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
TOM,

In scantool/tunetool do Help->About and post screenshots.

Here you go
I'm sorry for being such a pain
This is on XP/sp3

joecar
May 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
How did you capture thae log file BBL00010.log...?
Can you attach that log file to your next post...

Blacky
May 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Here you go
I'm sorry for being such a pain
This is on XP/sp3

You're not being a pain, you're being very patient. We need to figure out what is going wrong so we can fix it and (hopefully) prevent anyone else having the same issue. I appreciate the trouble shooting work you are doing, thanks.

Meanwhile, some things that need to be done:

1. Can you please search your entire system for any files called obdiiV7.dll. Only one copy must exist and it must exist in the same folder as the EFILive_Scan.exe and EFILive_Tune.exe files. All three should be located in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\. Delete all copies of those three files that are not in that folder.

2. Edit the registry using regedit and delete the key (and the entire subtree under it): \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5
To start regedit, click the Start button, then Run, enter regedit and click OK. Make sure no EFILive programs are running when you edit the registry.
After deleting that key the next time EFILive is run, it will re-initialize all its internal settings and re-create those entries in the registry.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
How did you capture thae log file BBL00010.log...?
Can you attach that log file to your next post...

All three of these were captured on Flashscan V2 with te latest I belive version 49
I used Exsplorer to drag and drop them into Logged data ( to view them )

I have flased the ECM now 5 times w/no problem, thus the logged files it sure is nice to do BBL

joecar
May 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
TOM,

Did you stop the recording before unplugging V2 from the vehicle...?

When you select pids on V2 and start logging, does V2 display those pids and their values in real time...?

Joe

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
You're not being a pain, you're being very patient. We need to figure out what is going wrong so we can fix it and (hopefully) prevent anyone else having the same issue. I appreciate the trouble shooting work you are doing, thanks.

Meanwhile, some things that need to be done:

1. Can you please search your entire system for any files called obdiiV7.dll. Only one copy must exist and it must exist in the same folder as the EFILive_Scan.exe and EFILive_Tune.exe files. All three should be located in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\. Delete all copies of those three files that are not in that folder.

2. Edit the registry using regedit and delete the key (and the entire subtree under it): \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5
To start regedit, click the Start button, then Run, enter regedit and click OK. Make sure no EFILive programs are running when you edit the registry.
After deleting that key the next time EFILive is run, it will re-initialize all its internal settings and re-create those entries in the registry.

Regards
Paul
I deleted the 2 top references and left the third on intact ( .DLL )
I deleted the registry entries that you made refeence to above and allso the one for 7.5.3 and restarted and tried to open a log file and got the same reference as before

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
TOM,

Did you stop the recording before unplugging V2 from the vehicle...?

When you select pids on V2 and start logging, does V2 display those pids and their values in real time...?

Joe
#1 Yes
#2 when I select pid's it shows a selection of ECM's and I select LLY AUTO push (YES) and reply frm V2 is (pLS Wait) then asks record data ,display data, Tune ECM, I forgot the third one. I scroll to record data and push (YES ) when done I Push Backspace, Reply is saving data as ??????????????
Hope this helps

Blacky
May 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
All three of these were captured on Flashscan V2 with te latest I belive version 49
I used Exsplorer to drag and drop them into Logged data ( to view them )

I have flased the ECM now 5 times w/no problem, thus the logged files it sure is nice to do BBL

Looks like you're using an old firmware version. The log files are not being created correctly. That was a known bug in the V2.05.17(0503) firmware.

You should update your firmware to V2.05.17(0506) firmware. I.e. May 6th release here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7978

P.S. Sorry that the version numbers remain the same - it is confusing if you did not know that. It is done like that during the beta test to allow beta testers to go back/forward between different "versions" of the firmware.

The only way to tell the exact firmware version is to look at the date. The (MMDD) at the end of the firmware file name tells you the month and day it was released. That will correspond to the firmware date shown in the [Firmware] tab page of EFILive_Explorer.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Looks like you're using an old firmware version. The log files are not being created correctly. That was a known bug in the V2.05.17(0503) firmware.

You should update your firmware to V2.05.17(0506) firmware. I.e. May 6th release here:

P.S. Sorry that the version numbers remain the same - it is confusing if you did not know that. It is done like that during the beta test to allow beta testers to go back/forward between different "versions" of the firmware.

The only way to tell the exact firmware version is to look at the date. The (MMDD) at the end of the firmware file name tells you the month and day it was released. That will correspond to the firmware date shown in the [Firmware] tab page of EFILive_Explorer.

Regards
Paul

You just confused me
This is supposed to be the latest ( OLD VERSION )

Blacky
May 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
You just confused me
This is supposed to be the latest ( OLD VERSION )

That firmware is April 25, the next one was May 03, then May 06.
You should be using May 06 from here:

Note: The version numbers will be the same, always V2.05.17.
Only the date change for each firmware update.
The reason was explained a couple of posts back.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
That firmware is April 25, the next one was May 03, then May 06.
You should be using May 06 from here:

Note: The version numbers will be the same, always V2.05.17.
Only the date change for each firmware update.
The reason was explained a couple of posts back.

Regards
Paul

I assume that the files that I logged are now NFG ( firmware upgrade )

Blacky
May 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I assume that the files that I logged are now NFG ( firmware upgrade )

If you want the files I can correct them, let me know.
Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
If you want the files I can correct them, let me know.
Regards
Paul

You have a full plate now, thanks for all your help
I don't have a problem relogging all over

Toired Old Man
May 8th, 2008, 04:30 AM
You have a full plate now, thanks for all your help
I don't have a problem relogging all over

All is well now
How do I get some pids that were available in 7.5.3 into Beta and when will the custom PIDs be completed? ( Metric and me have a hard time, Can't teach and old dog new tricks. )

jomobco
May 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I was using the V2 in pass through today to do some laptop logging and whenever I would stop to save data and upload a tune I would get errors unless I physically disconnected the V2 from the computer. One was that the PCM may not have a valid calibration. The other was that the connection was lost to the pcm. I snapped screen shots if you want me to email them to you. I'm running the May6th update V2.05.17(0506)

Edit: On reread I should have said PCM as I meant the cars computer above where I said computer. I could unhook the V2 from my laptop and I would get the same error. Upon unhooking from the PCM I could then proceed.

Blacky
May 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I was using the V2 in pass through today to do some laptop logging and whenever I would stop to save data and upload a tune I would get errors unless I physically disconnected the V2 from the computer. One was that the PCM may not have a valid calibration. The other was that the connection was lost to the pcm. I snapped screen shots if you want me to email them to you. I'm running the May6th update V2.05.17(0506)

Can you verify that the boot block version is V2.05.08?
Regards
Paul

jomobco
May 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Can you verify that the boot block version is V2.05.08?
Regards
Paul

Yes 2.5.08.

Edit: It's an 0411 PCM with the 12212156 OS on Windows XP if it matters.

Toired Old Man
May 12th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I used Registry Mechanic to do weekly routine on system and tried to run scan and tune and recieved this report, restored to previous and still have this report.

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I used Registry Mechanic to do weekly routine on system and tried to run scan and tune and recieved this report, restored to previous and still have this report.

Error 2 means "file not found".
Can you please check to see if that file does in fact exist?
And that you can open it using Notepad (i.e. check that you have permission to read the data from it)?

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Error 2 means "file not found".
Can you please check to see if that file does in fact exist?
And that you can open it using Notepad (i.e. check that you have permission to read the data from it)?

Regards
Paul
Vin.ini does not exist on this computer. (What is vin.ini? Where is it supposed to be)

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Vin.ini does not exist on this computer. (What is vin.ini? Where is it supposed to be)

vin.ini is a text file containing all the VIN breakdown data so that EFILive can display all the descriptive data that is extracted from the VIN.

If that file is missing,then the installation has not completed properly.
Try running the install again and selecting [Repair].
The [Repair] option detects missing/damaged files and re-installs them.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
vin.ini is a text file containing all the VIN breakdown data so that EFILive can display all the descriptive data that is extracted from the VIN.

If that file is missing,then the installation has not completed properly.
Try running the install again and selecting [Repair].
The [Repair] option detects missing/damaged files and re-installs them.

Regards
PaulIs tere a reason why registry mechanic would do something to that file?
What realy bothers me is that restore did not reinstall everything. (Ideas accepted )

Blacky
May 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Is tere a reason why registry mechanic would do something to that file?
What realy bothers me is that restore did not reinstall everything. (Ideas accepted )

Registry mechanic wouldn't do anything to that file.

It is possible but unlikely that the *.zip file you downloaded from our web site is corrupt and can't install itself properly. Maybe try re-downloading V7.5.3 from our web site using a different computer.

Does the EFILive "uninstall" option fail or succeed?

You may have already posted this info, but what version are you installing and attempting to run?

Other potential pitfalls are:

If you install the software as one user and then log out and log in to Windows as a different user.
If you are connected to a network and the My documents or Program Files folders are located on remote/shared drives.
Regards
Paul

joecar
May 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM
TOM,

You should log in as a user with administrator privileges, uninstall, and reinstall 7.5.3.

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM
TOM,

You should log in as a user with administrator privileges, uninstall, and reinstall 7.5.3.
Every Monday upon start up I do a series of WINDOZE defenses, PC tools spyware doctor, Diskeeper, Registry mechanic, not nessearly in that order, I have found that doing this has kept me out of trouble since DOS 3.0
I run the latest EFI and it worked fine until Monday after I did my routine ( BBL V2 and all ) See previous post. I'm just trying to mack sure it doesn't happen again. I am administrator on this and many other machines.

Thanks to all who have helped on this and other occasions

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Every Monday upon start up I do a series of WINDOZE defenses, PC tools spyware doctor, Diskeeper, Registry mechanic, not nessearly in that order, I have found that doing this has kept me out of trouble since DOS 3.0
I run the latest EFI and it worked fine until Monday after I did my routine ( BBL V2 and all ) See previous post. I'm just trying to mack sure it doesn't happen again. I am administrator on this and many other machines.

Thanks to all who have helped on this and other occasions
New problem when using laptop to monitor using scan tool
Scantool pgrm comes up and when trying to connect to monitor ( shows attached )

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
New problem when using laptop to monitor using scan tool
Scantool pgrm comes up and when trying to connect to monitor ( shows attached )

Counsol view

joecar
May 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I pm'd tech support.

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I pm'd tech support.

Thanks for the help

Blacky
May 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Counsol view

Can you please save the error log and send it to me at paul@efilive.com then I can (hopefully) tell you what happened, why and how to prevent it from happening.

Thanks.

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Can you please save the error log and send it to me at paul@efilive.com then I can (hopefully) tell you what happened, why and how to prevent it from happening.

Thanks.

Sent

Blacky
May 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Looks like you selected a transmission controller instead of the engine controller.
It got the error when it tried to log the MAF PID from the transmission controller. There is no MAF PID available from the transmission controller - hence the out of range error.

Regards
Paul

Toired Old Man
May 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Looks like you selected a transmission controller instead of the engine controller.
It got the error when it tried to log the MAF PID from the transmission controller. There is no MAF PID available from the transmission controller - hence the out of range error.

Regards
Paul
OOOP,s Sorry

rsicard
July 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Blacky: Is there a GM PCM which allows small advances or retards in individual cylinder spark timing? Same thing for individual fuel injector timing? Please advise. Thanks.

Blacky
July 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Blacky: Is there a GM PCM which allows small advances or retards in individual cylinder spark timing? Same thing for individual fuel injector timing? Please advise. Thanks.

I don't know, try PM'ing GMPX (Ross), he may know.
Regards
Paul