PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed! Can't tune my RENTAL CAR!!!

Chuck CoW
April 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
BUMMER! This past year, I've been traveling and tuning all around the country. I've made it a habit (he he) of TUNING ALL MY RENTALS!

This past week I got to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky and rented a nice white 08 Chevy HHR.

I whipped out the laptop and was hoping to download the engine and trans cal to give the little bugger some needed Git-up-n-GO!

To my surprise, I couldn't even connect to the (I think it was E37?) engine controller and when I downloaded the T42 file, it came up as unrecognized!!!

OK PAUL AND ROSS! You've got some explaining to do!!!:rippedhand:

I drove around SLOW all week!:mad:

Chuck CoW

dfe1
April 28th, 2008, 10:33 AM
BUMMER! This past year, I've been traveling and tuning all around the country. I've made it a habit (he he) of TUNING ALL MY RENTALS!

This past week I got to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky and rented a nice white 08 Chevy HHR.

I whipped out the laptop and was hoping to download the engine and trans cal to give the little bugger some needed Git-up-n-GO!

To my surprise, I couldn't even connect to the (I think it was E37?) engine controller and when I downloaded the T42 file, it came up as unrecognized!!!

OK PAUL AND ROSS! You've got some explaining to do!!!:rippedhand:

Chuck CoW
Obviously, you didn't purchase the Rental Car Tuning Option.

GMPX
April 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Chuck CoW

Not sure a tune would have fixed it Chuck unless it was the turbo one!

You do need to choose your rentals more carefully, when booking them I suggest asking what ECM type they have, I'm sure the booking staff have access to CalID.

It probably was an E37, which to most people looks like an E38, but it's made by Hitachi!, bizarre.

Cheers,
Ross

TAQuickness
April 29th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Obviously, you didn't purchase the Rental Car Tuning Option.

RCTO - somebody ought to copywrite that now

SSpdDmon
April 29th, 2008, 04:27 AM
LOL @ this thread.

joecar
April 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
lol+1

ScarabEpic22
April 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
RCTO - somebody ought to copywrite that now

Hahaha, I like the abbreviation man!:laugh:

I was contemplating tuning my last rental car in FL last summer, but I kinda left EFILive at home so it was a short-lived dream.:bawl:

white01ss
April 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I guess that's a lot safer than tuning on your own vehicles! :devil_2:

Chuck -
Have you ever found rental car tuned different from stock? They could back off spark, lower the top speed, alter shift points, and so much other stuff. There probably even a secret forum where professional rental car detuners go to figure out how to make cars slower!

WHYTRYZ06
April 30th, 2008, 04:22 PM
this thread is messed up LOL

scdyne
May 1st, 2008, 09:23 AM
The E37 is found in a number of '08 model GM vehicles. I think the real question is when will EFILive support it?

Chuck CoW
May 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
Not sure a tune would have fixed it Chuck unless it was the turbo one!

You do need to choose your rentals more carefully, when booking them I suggest asking what ECM type they have, I'm sure the booking staff have access to CalID.

It probably was an E37, which to most people looks like an E38, but it's made by Hitachi!, bizarre.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross.... Yes, it was lookng like a wimpy version on E38.... I pulled it and it said E37.

This sucks! I couldn't even connect to it! Then I figure "YAY - I got a T42 to mess with!" and after downloading the T42 it comes up....

UNRECOGNIZED!!!!

So, I drove it STOCK all weekend! What's the deal? Do I have to rent VETTES to TUNE MY RENTALS!!!?!?!?!:bash:

:rippedhand::rippedhand::rippedhand:
Chuck CoW

emarkay
May 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Tuning a rental car...

I wonder what the liability on this is?

Somehow I think this is just asking for unnecessary attention/trouble and other poopoo that we really don't want to invite upon ourselves.

Paul, any comments?
MRK

macca_779
May 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
They have to prove it first.

white01ss
May 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Tuning the car is better than putting a nitrous kit on the rental vette like I saw on the scandalous racing video. :laugh:

Chuck CoW
May 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Not only did my EFI Live cable fail to read my last rental.....

But, I tried to rent a Chevy today in TEXAS and the girl on the phone said "yes, we rent chevys"

So, I made a reservation! When I got to the airport, All they had was a KIA!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Ross and Paul... HOW BOUT SOME EFFIN' KIA SUPPORT!!!?!?!?!?!

I just can't keep renting CARS THAT I CAN'T TUNE!!!:bad:

Chuck CoW

dfe1
May 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I just can't keep renting CARS THAT I CAN'T TUNE!!!:bad:

Chuck CoW
Well, it's about time you stepped up and purchased RCTO.

1998ws6
May 19th, 2008, 05:41 AM
a rental car will be a normal certified calibration.

TAQuickness
June 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
There's a white Solstice on the Avis lot in Phoenix that needs some help Chuck. I have a hard time believing these cars come off the lot driving like this :bad:

scdyne
June 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
There's a white Solstice on the Avis lot in Phoenix that needs some help Chuck. I have a hard time believing these cars come off the lot driving like this :bad:

I have a hard time believing that. Was it an automatic and you left it in D the whole time? Put that thing into I and then drop the Hammer.

If it's the GXP then not much you can do since EFILive doesn't support it. You'd have to have the 'other tuner' products to mess with any settings - though not much is really supported by them. Same ECU as Turbo HHRs seen above

I have squeaked a few extra HP out of my sky, but nothing to go bragging about. Not having tuning control over the automatic transmission really limits the ability to get that power to the ground.

TAQuickness
June 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It was an auto and I couldn't tell the difference between D & I - they both sucked. That car needed some serious help!

SSpdDmon
June 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
It was an auto and I couldn't tell the difference between D & I - they both sucked. That car needed some serious help!
Sounds like it was NA to me...

TAQuickness
June 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
NA it was. Good looking car, but I've had to cross it off my list of potentials. Just thought I'd pass along the tuning opportunity to Chuck

Chuck CoW
October 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, while I've likely skipped one or two....Here's the latest RENTAL TUNE!

While in Arkansas recently, we rented a nice white 08 Trailblazer....

Kinda was a dog, so we jumped in the rental at 11:pm at the airport and we quickly had the engine and trans cals downloaded....

The best part was...I wasn't me.

My girlfriend Corina had watched me tune millions of cars and trucks...but the poor girl had never tried it before.....

SO, I handed here the laptop...had her do everything from cycle the key, read the files, save the files,.....and modify the files.....

I coached her a wee bit and she did GREAT. I let it be her choice for the shift firmness and feel...and with a little bit of input.....

It was off to Eureka Springs Corvette Weekend in the Ozark Mountains with a sporty white Trailblazer! I hour of pure fun in the windy mountain roads....

I think I'm gonna let her do more of this......:hihi:

Chuck CoW

ScarabEpic22
October 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Very nice man, I havent dealt with the E67s and T42s in the TBs yet but I know how much a good I6 tune makes driving one that much better. Actually having it shift on time vs whenever it wants makes a big difference.

Aloicious
October 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Ok, while I've likely skipped one or two....Here's the latest RENTAL TUNE!

While in Arkansas recently, we rented a nice white 08 Trailblazer....

Kinda was a dog, so we jumped in the rental at 11:pm at the airport and we quickly had the engine and trans cals downloaded....

The best part was...I wasn't me.

My girlfriend Corina had watched me tune millions of cars and trucks...but the poor girl had never tried it before.....

SO, I handed here the laptop...had her do everything from cycle the key, read the files, save the files,.....and modify the files.....

I coached her a wee bit and she did GREAT. I let it be her choice for the shift firmness and feel...and with a little bit of input.....

It was off to Eureka Springs Corvette Weekend in the Ozark Mountains with a sporty white Trailblazer! I hour of pure fun in the windy mountain roads....

I think I'm gonna let her do more of this......:hihi:

Chuck CoW

this thread makes me laugh, I'd totally do the same thing if I had the workshop version, but as it is, the licenses would end up costing me more than the rental sometimes... :grin:

Chuck CoW
November 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Just got back from Vegas/Phoenix/SEMA....

Not only did they lose my bags both directions at the airport, BUT...I HAD TO RENT A DODGE CHARGER!

That piece of crap misfired and broke up the whole way through the desert from Vegas to Phoenix!

Oh, Paul...I can't wait for EFI LIVE DODGE TUNING SUPPORT!!!:pokey:

Chuck CoW

ScarabEpic22
November 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hear that Chuck, not cool at all. Maybe use a different airline next time. :(

Im down for Dodge suupport, maybe SRT-4 support?

Chuck CoW
November 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ok, here's the latest....I ALWAYS ask for a GM PRODUCT when I rent cars...

This weekend I went on a tuning trip to Chicago....And I rented a......

PONTIAC VIBE

BUMMER! It had a controller that looked like an ALLISON TCM for the engine controller....and Live connected to it, but couldn't read it....even though it connected to the pcm....I got the BOOTLOADER REJECTED message.

BUMMER!

The thing was a slug and DEFINITELY needed some TQ management and shift point correction!@!@:bangin:

Come on ROSS, these rentals are expensive....I've only been able to tune a small fraction of the rentals I come across!:grin:

Chuck CoW

ls1vt209
November 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Chuck, you are a unique individual.

Love your work.

Thanks for a good laugh.

N0DIH
November 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have a 09 Impala 3500 this week for a rental, the heavy TM is awful, shift pattern is a nucance, I can't wait to get my L67 Park Ave Ultra back (got broke into, thankfully my EFILive cable was not taken, nor anything else!)..... There are a LOT of V6 Impala's that need tuning out there....

Chuck CoW
November 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have a 09 Impala 3500 this week for a rental, the heavy TM is awful, shift pattern is a nucance, I can't wait to get my L67 Park Ave Ultra back (got broke into, thankfully my EFILive cable was not taken, nor anything else!)..... There are a LOT of V6 Impala's that need tuning out there....

Let me tell you a little story!

While in Chicago, a kid comes up to me and says...."I got an 08 Impala SS...Can you tune it????"

Well, this is a FWD 5.3 V8 4 door sedan.....

I didn't drive it before tuning it....But, EFI LIVE connected and pulled down some ridiculous TQ management nonsense from the controllers and when I was done....

PHEW did it spin those FWD TRIES!...Not sure how long the trans will last, but....

What a nice ride that was!
Chuck CoW

GMPX
November 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
PONTIAC VIBE

Listen to yourself man!!, a Pontiac Vibe for tuning, times are tough but really! Stop being a tight ass and rent a V8 Cadillac instead :hihi:

Cheers,
Ross

Chuck CoW
December 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Listen to yourself man!!, a Pontiac Vibe for tuning, times are tough but really! Stop being a tight ass and rent a V8 Cadillac instead :hihi:

Cheers,
Ross

It's not by choice..... I usually call up and say..."I would prefer to rent a GM product if you have one available.... or....I might say..."Do you have an Impala, or Trailblazer, whatever....

I DON'T say..."DO YOU HAVE ANY TUNABLE GM vehicles????:bangin::grin:

The Vibe was the closest thing to a GM friendly vehicle.:bad:

Chuck CoW

GMPX
December 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
II DON'T say..."DO YOU HAVE ANY TUNABLE GM vehicles????:bangin::grin:
I do recall standing in a rental car pickup with Jesse one year discussing which cars had which controller before we signed on the dotted line :grin:
But you are right, sometimes you get what you get and that is it. Like the Dodge thing we had at SEMA this year, at speed the accelerator pedal transformed itself in to a noise pedal, put it on the floor, the engine got louder, not much else happened. It needed more than a tune! It wasn't much fun trying to keep up with the tuned Duramax we were following.

Cheers,
Ross

Chuck CoW
December 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
I do recall standing in a rental car pickup with Jesse one year discussing which cars had which controller before we signed on the dotted line :grin:
But you are right, sometimes you get what you get and that is it. Like the Dodge thing we had at SEMA this year, at speed the accelerator pedal transformed itself in to a noise pedal, put it on the floor, the engine got louder, not much else happened. It needed more than a tune! It wasn't much fun trying to keep up with the tuned Duramax we were following.

Cheers,
Ross

Tel me about it....So far, the best of the rentals I've had was a 08' Trailblazer that I let my girlfriend (he he) tune a few months ago....and in all honesty....a CHRYSLER 300! No tune, but it sure was nice compared to the Vibe!:hihi:

Renting a Vette for me is silly....I drive 4 different Vettes every day of the week including SUNDAY!

Next time I'm gonna ask for an Impala....With the Extra coverage from the rental company in case the TRANNY FAILS!:angel_innocent:

Chuck CoW

tokymon
December 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
lol:jump:
:pokey:you should leave them tuned when you are done

Chuck CoW
December 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
lol:jump:
:pokey:you should leave them tuned when you are done

I usually do!:notacrook:

Chuck CoW

N0DIH
December 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just for fun leave them with some really bizzare settings..... Heck, make a deal for free rentals and tune the performance cars to keep them from being abused.....

Don't get a base Impala, they suck. Had one, hated it compared to my L67 Park Ave Ultra.....

I usually do!:notacrook:

Chuck CoW

Chuck CoW
December 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Just for fun leave them with some really bizzare settings..... Heck, make a deal for free rentals and tune the performance cars to keep them from being abused.....

Don't get a base Impala, they suck. Had one, hated it compared to my L67 Park Ave Ultra.....

I forgot about this one.....

Back in May of this year we went tuning in CANADA and I rented this GM product.:doh2:

BUMMER! It was an E37 and no luck. Another WASTED RENTAL!

For some reason I couldn't even do the T42 for this thing.

Here's the pics!

I'm gonna have to PLUG IN next time before I sign the papers!

Chuck CoW

Chuck CoW
December 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
On our latest trip to PRI in Florida.....We rented this 08 Cobalt.

SURVEY SAYS?!

X X X

That's right....WRONG ANSWER! another E37!:bs:

Come on Ross! I can't afford to rent VETTES....How bout some E37 coverage so these rentals will drive better!?!?

I can't keep blowing money on LAME rentals!

Obviously couldn't do the engine on this one....but, we did manage to tune the T42 after a few drinks one night!:cheers:

Attached is the original T42 cal....

What fun!
Chuck CoW

joeboston
February 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Hi Chuck,

I have an 08 Malibu, 4 cyl. I have the same issue not being able to read the E37, ugh. I do have the T42 however and would like to try out the tune you did for the HHR. Is it ok with you to share it?

Thanks
Joe