PDA

View Full Version : OR...or...AND???? B5916/B5917

hquick
April 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I and Jezza B have been trying to solve my timing, audible pinging(but not showing in logs) problem for close on a year I guess.
Gotta admit...I've learned a heap along the way and HEAPS of people have helped me do that.
OK...now down to my question.
In browsing my tune tonight, Jezza discovered that my timing wasn't lining up with what it should be....ie commanded minus modifiers and what it should be via the high octane table compared to what the log is showing.
We think we've found an issue.
Perhaps I'm running on the 'base' timing table at the moment in the tune/log where I'm getting the audible ping (nothing shows on the logs...and I reckon...without exaggeration I've run 1000+ of them :laugh: :bawl: :laugh: ).
Here's some screen shots:
First one shows my log from this afternoon.
In frame 6704 logged spark is 20o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/6704screenshot.jpg

In the high octane table {B5913} it shows 22.41o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/highoctanescreenshot-frame6704.jpg

In the spark IAT table {B5911} it shows -3.9990

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hquick/sparkiat-frame6704.jpg

So...if using the high/low octane tables (set to same...for tuning purposes) I should have 22.4 - 4 = 18.4o...correct? Not the 20o logged???

However...the base spark in gear {B5932} table shows 24.4 at frame 6704...which when IAT spark is subtracted (or added rather) I end up with close enough to 20o (logged value).
Now...according to the description in B5916 and B5917 -
B5916 - If the throttle is below this value AND vehicle speed is below threshold, then it is considered closed and the base spark tables will be used.
B5917 - If the vehicle speed is below this value AND the throttle is below threshold, then the base spark tables will be used.

I should be using the high/low octane tables...
EXCEPT:
My B5916 is set at 1.56% and my B5917 is set at 40kph.
In the above log.....we can see that I'm above the B5916 limit (TPS 1.56%) 23.1% TPS but below the B5917 limit (40kph). 31km/h
The evidence seems to suggest I'm using the Base spark table rather than the high/low octane tables???
We believe the AND's should be OR's.

JezzaB
April 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I vote that it should be changed to OR instead of AND in the description. Ive crossed checked heaps of points 40km and below and it is definately using the Base Spark in Gear table even though the TPS is above the set 1.56

Jez

EDIT: Beat me to the last bit!

SSpdDmon
April 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I wonder if the issue is vehicle specific? The f-bodies that I tune all run off of the base spark when off the throttle. This is based on the TPS threshold alone since I set B5916 to 1.19% and I max out the MPH in B5917.

5.7ute
April 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Good find Howard & Jezzab. This may have been the cause of your bucking, surging issue as well as it was transitioning between the tables.

hquick
April 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
There seems to be so many different variations of the two settings. Some max out the speed setting and have low TPS setting.
Some have very low speed setting...ie less than 6kph and still have low TPS setting.
These two seem to be the norm....and there seems to be no consistency to the thinking/setting of these tables.
I did find a stock camaro tune on Holdencrazy which has the {B5917} speed set to 69. That's the only other one out of about 100 tunes I looked through.

Mick: I have my fingers crossed. Jez is a bit too eager with the jerry can and matches if this doesn't work. Lol!

5.7ute
April 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Mick: I have my fingers crossed. Jez is a bit too eager with the jerry can and matches if this doesn't work. Lol!

Make sure you get that whipple in the mail first.:mrgreen: