PDA

View Full Version : BB Logging beta update: May 03, 2008

Blacky
May 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
IMPORTANT
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO,
YOU MUST UPDATE FLASHSCAN'S BOOT BLOCK TO V2.05.08(0426)
BEFORE
YOU ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE TO V2.05.16 OR LATER.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804

Download here: http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILive_Beta_Update_May_03_2008.zip (19Mb)
This download includes and supersedes all previous BBL beta downloads.

Please read the Readme_First.pdf file included in the zip file.
It has been revised for this release and contains important information about how to upgrade the boot block in your FlashScan and/or AutoCal devices.

Make sure you update your FlashScan (and/or AutoCal) firmware and boot block using the latest *.ffw files from the \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Hapi\ folder.

The Readme.txt file in the PID Descriptions folder has been updated. It contains new information about adding PID selections to the Options.ini file.

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
May 3rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
I thought I used to be able to run the readiness tests from the flashscan. Is there any plans to re-implement this feature, or am I just missing something?

ringram
May 3rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Wow, they are coming thick and fast these days :)

Ninety8C5
May 3rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
I updated to the latest firmware release and "DMA" PIDs still don't work for my car. :bawl: I reformated the 'Config Files' folder and copied the new files to it.

Am I doing something wrong or does it have anything to do with that I have a 6 speed which is a different OS (19980400) from the A4 ? :nixweiss:

Trippin
May 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
1) "Shift" key doesn't work for moving files from "Config folder" to "Config Tab".

2) First tried to connect to "LB7 Auto" and display data. Everything came up zeros for data. Tried to connect to "LB7 Manual" on the same truck and displayed actual data. Tired to connect to "LB7 Auto" 2nd time and displayed actual data.

3) Trying to record data "LB7 Auto" or "LB7 Manual" results in Error $0185 .

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I thought I used to be able to run the readiness tests from the flashscan. Is there any plans to re-implement this feature, or am I just missing something?

You can't "run the tests", the controller will automatically run the tests ONLY when the conditions are right. (See GM drive cycle in Scan Tool User Manual).
The pass/fail status of the tests are stored as trouble codes.
I think what you are asking for is the supported/not supported and/or ready/not ready status of the tests. In that case, monitor the PIDs:

MONDTC [4] Monitor Status Since DTCs Cleared
and/or
MONDRIVE [4] Monitor Status This Ignition Cycle

Those PIDs contain the readiness tests' status. I will add a specific option to display those status values without having to explicitly log/monitor those two PIDs.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 06:37 AM
I updated to the latest firmware release and "DMA" PIDs still don't work for my car. :bawl: I reformated the 'Config Files' folder and copied the new files to it.

Am I doing something wrong or does it have anything to do with that I have a 6 speed which is a different OS (19980400) from the A4 ? :nixweiss:

My mistake, the DMA PIDs are only working in OSs:

They are not working correctly for OSs:

Will get it fixed asap.

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
May 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
You are correct. I meant to say "display" the status of the readiness tests. I swear there used to be a menu in the flashscan that would say NA/Pass/Pending/Fail for each item, but maybe I was using my laptop.

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM

Hmm, the reason 19980300 and 19980400 do not support DMA PIDs is that those two Os's should not get reported by the Scan tool. They are only reported by the tuning tool to differentiate between some 1998 C5s. All 1998 C5's should all report 19980200 in the Scan Tool software and in FlashScan.

Are you sure your OS is displayed as 19980400 by FlashScan?
Try the menu option: F2 Scan Tool -> F2 Diagnostics -> F1 Display Vin/Info. What OS is displayed?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
You are correct. I meant to say "display" the status of the readiness tests. I swear there used to be a menu in the flashscan that would say NA/Pass/Pending/Fail for each item, but maybe I was using my laptop.

Yes there was in V2.04.xx firmware, I just have not re-implemented it in V2.05.xx yet. I will add it for the next update.
Paul

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
1) "Shift" key doesn't work for moving files from "Config folder" to "Config Tab".

Are you trying to use the shift key to select multiple items? That is supported and works on my test system here.
Or are you trying to use the shift key to change the drag process from copy to move? That is not supported.

2) First tried to connect to "LB7 Auto" and display data. Everything came up zeros for data. Tried to connect to "LB7 Manual" on the same truck and displayed actual data. Tired to connect to "LB7 Auto" 2nd time and displayed actual data.

If you ever get unexpected results, the most helpful thing to do is to save the trace file and email it to me. You can save a trace file using the FlashScan menu option: F2 Scan Tool -> F3 Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace File.

3) Trying to record data "LB7 Auto" or "LB7 Manual" results in Error $0185 .

Is "VPW xx" (where xx is 02 or higher) displayed in the lower right corner of FlashScan's screen? The 02 means FlashScan has found at least 2 modules - ECM and TCM.
If not, please press Ctrl+OK to re-detect the protocol and modules in the vehicle.

Also, please save and send a trace file after that error.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
May 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Are you sure your OS is displayed as 19980400 by FlashScan?
Try the menu option: F2 Scan Tool -> F2 Diagnostics -> F1 Display Vin/Info. What OS is displayed?

Regards
Paul

When I did that it displayed both Vin/OS as "Unknown".

ScarabEpic22
May 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
I just updated and was looking through the menus. On my V2 with latest everything (0503 FW, 0427 BB) the flash counters show up properly but in the tune tool the Full flash and Cal only are swapped. I know because Ive never done a full flash yet in the tune tool it says 57 full and 0 cal. Also on my V2 the VIN licenses do not display, just a blank screen with "----------" under both Engine and Trans.

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM

After displaying that screen, please save the trace file and email it to me. You can save a trace file using the FlashScan menu option: F2 Scan Tool -> F3 Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace File.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I just updated and was looking through the menus. On my V2 with latest everything (0503 FW, 0427 BB) the flash counters show up properly but in the tune tool the Full flash and Cal only are swapped. I know because Ive never done a full flash yet in the tune tool it says 57 full and 0 cal. Also on my V2 the VIN licenses do not display, just a blank screen with "----------" under both Engine and Trans.

Thanks, I'll look into why that is happening.
Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
May 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
After displaying that screen, please save the trace file and email it to me. You can save a trace file using the FlashScan menu option: F2 Scan Tool -> F3 Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace File.

Regards
Paul

Trace file on the way email titled "Beta Test 98 Vette (19980400) DMA PIDs".

Also seeing same results as ScarabEpic22 in Tune Tool Flash & Cal counter.

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM

No email received yet.
Paul

Ninety8C5
May 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I originally sent it to support@efilive.com. I just resent it to paul@efilive.com

405HP_Z06
May 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to log Air Mass Per Cylinder, CYLAIR, Parameter: CALC.CYLAIR for BBL. Looking in the LS1B_M_PIDS pid description file it seems the CYLAIR_M is the pid that I need to place in the options.ini file under PSL_LS1. When I do this I get an error stating this pid isn't supported.

I've installed the latest software and firmware. OS 1281016.

joecar
May 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to log Air Mass Per Cylinder, CYLAIR, Parameter: CALC.CYLAIR for BBL. Looking in the LS1B_M_PIDS pid description file it seems the CYLAIR_M is the pid that I need to place in the options.ini file under PSL_LS1. When I do this I get an error stating this pid isn't supported.

I've installed the latest software and firmware. OS 1281016.

V2 BBL does not provide calc pids [at the moment]...

Calc pids can be added in later when viewing the log in the scantool (you select the calc pids you want [PIDs tab], and then you save the file).

Pids ending in _M are _DMA pids (e.g. DYNCYLAIR_DMA [in the scantool] corresponds to DYNCYLAIR_M [in V2 BBL]...)

Blacky
May 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

I hope the problem is as simple as this...

I can reproduce the problem you are seeing if I connect FlashScan to the vehicle *before* the ignition is switched on.
You should always turn on the ignition first, then connect FlashScan to the vehicle, then to the laptop (if you want to use a laptop).

That is because as soon as FlashScan is powered up it attempts to detect the coms protocol and available modules in the vehicle. If the ignition is off the modules do not respond to FlashScan and so FlashScan does not know what modules are available.

However, once the ignition is switched on, FlashScan should re-analyze the protocols and modules. It is not doing that correctly. I will fix that problem. Meanwhile, try turning on the ignition before connecting (i.e. powering up) FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

405HP_Z06
May 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM

V2 BBL does not provide calc pids [at the moment]...

Calc pids can be added in later when viewing the log in the scantool (you select the calc pids you want [PIDs tab], and then you save the file).

Pids ending in _M are _DMA pids (e.g. DYNCYLAIR_DMA [in the scantool] corresponds to DYNCYLAIR_M [in V2 BBL]...)

Thanks Joecar! Trying to get used to EFILive after so many years of HPT. I know the BBL is still beta here, but it's much easier in HPT. I look forward to working with EFI, much nicer in many other respects.

JR-CRUZN-C5
May 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Paul -

Once "stable" BBL is out - Recommended Drag Strip BBL procedure would be to NOT plug the V2 into the OBDII cable UNTIL right before the car is pulled into the Burn Out Box because the ignition will be turned on and off numerous times while moving up in the staging lanes! Unless someone breaks or the starter shuts things down the ignition pretty much stays on from the Burn Out until the end of the race. On the V1 I would start BBL right before the burnout box and have it set to shutoff after 1 minute - this is on TEST runs only when the driver has control over the staging proceedure.

JR

Ninety8C5
May 4th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I hope the problem is as simple as this...

I can reproduce the problem you are seeing if I connect FlashScan to the vehicle *before* the ignition is switched on.
You should always turn on the ignition first, then connect FlashScan to the vehicle, then to the laptop (if you want to use a laptop).

Regards
Paul

With the ignition on the V2 gets the correct VIN, but the OS is still "Unknown". I sent you the trace files via email.

joecar
May 4th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks Joecar! Trying to get used to EFILive after so many years of HPT. I know the BBL is still beta here, but it's much easier in HPT. I look forward to working with EFI, much nicer in many other respects.405,

No worries.

I know, changing to different software/hardware can try one's patience...

V1 BBL was pretty easy... gui interface... but no controls on the V1 (only start/stop);

It seems to me that V2 BBL will be similar but with more controls on the V2...
I think the current manual process will get replaced by a gui [am I right Paul...?].

Hey, glad you could be here... I find there's always something new to learn...:book:

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers:

Blacky
May 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Paul -

Once "stable" BBL is out - Recommended Drag Strip BBL procedure would be to NOT plug the V2 into the OBDII cable UNTIL right before the car is pulled into the Burn Out Box because the ignition will be turned on and off numerous times while moving up in the staging lanes! Unless someone breaks or the starter shuts things down the ignition pretty much stays on from the Burn Out until the end of the race. On the V1 I would start BBL right before the burnout box and have it set to shutoff after 1 minute - this is on TEST runs only when the driver has control over the staging proceedure.

JR

For FlashScan V2, once the bugs are ironed out it won't matter if the ignition is turned on/off while logging, or before or after FlashScan is plugged in. But until then, your suggestion is a very good one.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think the current manual process will get replaced by a gui [am I right Paul...?].
Yes.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the trace file. It pinpointed the problem nicely.
I have reproduced the exact problem here and fixed it.

For your info...
The 97/98 PCMs did not have an operating system number so EFILive "fakes" one. The operating systems are faked based on information extracted from the VIN.
The 3 possible fake operating system numbers are:
19970200 1997 C5
19980100 1998 Camaro
19980200 1998 C5

When the tuning tool reads out the contents of the PCM, it can dig deeper into the operating system and extract information not available to the scan tool. The extra information allows the tuning tool to identify 2 extra variants of the 19980100 and 19980200 operating systems:

That is why in the tuning tool you may see 19980100 or 19980200 or 19980300 or 19980400, but in the scan tool you will only see 19980100 or 19980200.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
May 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the trace file. It pinpointed the problem nicely.
I have reproduced the exact problem here and fixed it.

I'm glad the trace files helped. Can't wait to check out the fix.

For your info...
The 97/98 PCMs did not have an operating system number so EFILive "fakes" one. The operating systems are faked based on information extracted from the VIN.
The 3 possible fake operating system numbers are:
19970200 1997 C5
19980100 1998 Camaro
19980200 1998 C5

When the tuning tool reads out the contents of the PCM, it can dig deeper into the operating system and extract information not available to the scan tool. The extra information allows the tuning tool to identify 2 extra variants of the 19980100 and 19980200 operating systems:

That is why in the tuning tool you may see 19980100 or 19980200 or 19980300 or 19980400, but in the scan tool you will only see 19980100 or 19980200.

Regards
Paul

The only cal files I've seen are the 19980100, 19980200 and 19980400. I had no ides that the other two existed as they did not show up in any of the downloads.

oztracktuning
May 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I used it successfully logging in our Nitro Champs meet in Sydney. With my 1290005 op system it didnt matter if i turned the key off etc. I have nice logs of all the runs and it made it very convenient to take the sd card to the laptop - tweak the tune and then flash using roadrunner.

Blacky
May 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM
The only cal files I've seen are the 19980100, 19980200 and 19980400. I had no ides that the other two existed as they did not show up in any of the downloads.

19970200 and 19980300 will probably never show up - we have not seen them "in the wild" either. If one does show up it will come up with the "Unsupported Controller" message because have not made a cal files for them - yet!

Regards
Paul