PDA

View Full Version : Will flashscan

mgarfias
November 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM
Scan a non-LS1 GM OBD1 car with the newer OBD2 connector?

Obviously it won't edit, but my dad has a '94 LT1 Corvette, and occasionally we need to ask the ECM whats up. I know Ease will do it, but I really don't want to buy two seperate things if I can help it.

Blacky
November 22nd, 2004, 07:28 AM
FlashScan is for OBDII only, specifically it uses the SAE J1850-VPW OBDII protocol.

EFILive also sells EFILive V4 for use on OBDI vehicles.

See here for more details:
http://www.efilive.com/scan_4.html

The current list of supported vehicles:
http://www.efilive.com/scan_4_vehicles.html

Regards
Paul

mgarfias
November 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM
Blacky -

I realize its not quite a fair question. But the reason I ask is that there are some variations in the '94 cars. Some definitely had OBDI setups with only two O2 sensors. Others, like my dad's, have the OBDII connector, and 3 O2 sensors and some other differences.

Would it hurt anything if I just hooked it up and tried it?

GMPX
November 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Blacky -

I realize its not quite a fair question. But the reason I ask is that there are some variations in the '94 cars. Some definitely had OBDI setups with only two O2 sensors. Others, like my dad's, have the OBDII connector, and 3 O2 sensors and some other differences.

It won't do anything, the OBD-I data stream is TOTALLY different to OBD-II, the Flashscan interface will not even 'see' the OBD-I data stream.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
November 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Blacky -

My GTS has both OBDI and OBDII (actually all LS1 Commodores do), I plug both scan tools in at different times to scan different things. Each scan tool uses a different interface cable. You won't damage anything, the power/ground pins are still the same. The data pins are different, so as GMPX said, you won't even be able to make a connection when the data protocols do not match.

Regards
Paul

Renford
November 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Paul
What do you scan on your Commodore thats OBD1?

Blacky
November 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Paul
What do you scan on your Commodore thats OBD1?

I only use the ALDL data stream for testing EFILive V4. I don't scan anything useful. Everything I need to scan (from the PCM) is available on the OBDII data bus.

Regards
Paul

Renford
November 30th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Paul
Does flashscan support CAN protocol? if not is it something you will be looking at later.

Richard

Blacky
November 30th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Paul
Does flashscan support CAN protocol? if not is it something you will be looking at later.

Richard

The current FlashScan interface does not support CAN.
The next update/upgrade will include CAN.

Regards
Paul

Highlander
December 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
EFILIVE V4 is simply awesome!!!!!

I like it... A LOT!!!!!!