PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Fuel Gauge readings in VE Commodores

oztracktuning
May 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I have a VE Commodore that is reading almost 1/4 tank when it runs out of fuel BUT the tank takes 72L. How can i adjust the fuel gauge settings so that the guage will ready empty at the right time.

Any help will be appreciated.

ChipsByAl
May 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Do you have the factory fuel tank and level sensor in the car? If so you may have something wrong with the car that needs mechanical repairing. How difficult is it to remove the tank and check the sensor?
Al

oztracktuning
May 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Its difficult you have to take out the tailshaft, exhaust to remove the tanks.

It has new sensors and we are running a return line from a surge tank into the primary tank. The sensors may be different slightly in their outputs is what we think.

MICK
May 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Maybe F0501 is what your looking for.

Just a stab in the dark as I am not sure which operating system your using?

Sounds like you have made a few mods in this department.

I would also check to see how much fuel is left in the tank once it runs out to make sure you don't have an air lock drama when fuel level gets low.

On some return systems I see they plum the return into the in tank swirl pot to keep it primed for low fuel levels.

Mick

Delco
May 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have a VE Commodore that is reading almost 1/4 tank when it runs out of fuel BUT the tank takes 72L. How can i adjust the fuel gauge settings so that the guage will ready empty at the right time.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds like a tune out of a different car has been installed .

oztracktuning
May 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It is its original tune thats been modified. But the fuel senders have been changed during the fuel system upgrade to a twin walbro , surge and front mounted reg system.

However it is worth checking if the stock operating system in the latest VE has changed a few times with regard to the fuel system volume sender values.

oztracktuning
May 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
It is taking in the full amount still - ts just saying it has 1/4 tank left when its very close to empty.

MICK
May 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Does not look like there is parameters in the definition template "yet" to adjust for that.

Bugger!

Hummm, you would like to think that GM would not change senders mid model either.

Were the senders the same part #?

If you tampered with the wiring, maybe go back through it?

Defiantly bugger!

oztracktuning
May 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Yes same part number and exactly the same positioning.

MICK
May 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
If you have the original tune unmodified, try loading it back up just to check the fuel reading, to compare it to your current tune.

Somewhere along the line the current tune may have been corrupted, I have seen funny little things like this before.

That's another stab in the dark really.

hquick
May 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
A friend adjusted mine for me...it's now dead on. Full is full....empty IS empty.
Used to sit above full for 200+km's before moving. It'd hit 1/2 and then drop quickly.
Now...I checked it at different levels of filling and it couldn't be closer.
I can send you my two tunes if you like and you can compare them and work out what he did. May or may not be different to what you have to do.

MICK
May 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Different operating system Howard....great to have helpful people around though.

hquick
May 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Figured that Mick...but I couldn't work out how to do mine...and I thought he may be able to use mine as some sort of reference...just to see what changes Noel made in mine.