PDA

View Full Version : wrong firmware and boot block

t_dubble
May 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I screwed up already... Somehow I have my Firmware ver. is 2.05.17, while my Boot Block ver. is 2.05.04.... I don't know how I managed that (well I do, but don't know what I was thinking). Even after reading the readme..

So now I can only seem to connect to V2 with EFIlive_explorer while the V2 is in dead poll... so obviously am unable to update the boot block to the 2.05.08 which I'm not so sure would even be possible that way anyhow.... I think I done did it this time....

Can anyone lead me in the right direction as to what I should do now...

Thanks a bunch

TW

Blacky
May 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I screwed up already... Somehow I have my Firmware ver. is 2.05.17, while my Boot Block ver. is 2.05.04.... I don't know how I managed that (well I do, but don't know what I was thinking). Even after reading the readme..

So now I can only seem to connect to V2 with EFIlive_explorer while the V2 is in dead poll... so obviously am unable to update the boot block to the 2.05.08 which I'm not so sure would even be possible that way anyhow.... I think I done did it this time....

Can anyone lead me in the right direction as to what I should do now...

Thanks a bunch

TW

Flash in the firmware version FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw (that matches the V2.05.04 boot block).

Then upgrade the boot block to FSBootV2_05_08(0426).efw
Then flash in the firmware FSProgV2_05_17(0512).efw

All those files should be in the May 12, beta download.

Regards
Paul

t_dubble
May 18th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Worked Perfectly.... Thanks for the quick response...

Now that I have that part of it straightend out I'm gonna slow down a bit...

thanks again,
cheers
TW

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I think I need to do this but I can't find the FSProgV2_05_15(0326) file on my computer. Where can I get it to get my V2 straightened out?

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
That firmware should be in the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware.
If it is not, maybe you don't have the latest update from here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8103

I have attached it to this post in case anyone else needs it.

Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Thank You Very Much.

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I'm good now with Firmware V2.05.17 and boot block V2.05.07.

Looks like I'm working again.

Thank you Paul.

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm good now with Firmware V2.05.17 and boot block V2.05.07.

Looks like I'm working again.

Thank you Paul.

You should be on boot block V2.05.08
Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM
OK. I guess I need to find that.

SOMhaveit
June 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Done. Thanks.

WyoSS
June 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Man, am I glad I found this post. I did the exact same thing as t_dubble. I thought that I had bricked my FlashScan.

Is is safe to say that we will no longer be using the program EFILive_Firmware.exe (Update FlashScan V2 Firmware)?

Blacky
June 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Man, am I glad I found this post. I did the exact same thing as t_dubble. I thought that I had bricked my FlashScan.

Is is safe to say that we will no longer be using the program EFILive_Firmware.exe (Update FlashScan V2 Firmware)?

Correct, all firmware updating is done with EFILive_Explorer once you have upgraded to boot block V2.05.xx or later.

That is, until EFILive V8 is released and then firmware updating will be automatically handled by the EFILive software.

Regards
Paul

juddski88
June 16th, 2008, 11:49 PM
updated firmware to _72 and tried loading new bootblock _08 but control panel doesn't recognize flashscan at all. tried going back and loading firmware _15 but can't. what next?

juddski88
June 17th, 2008, 12:26 AM
oh ok I can do bootblock through Flashscan, I was trying to do it through explorer. we'll see how this works

juddski88
June 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
ok so I thought once the orange led's were flashing alternately the bootblock upgrade was finished? i unplugged flashscan from computer and plugged it back in and it's still in dead poll (led's still flashing alternately)? whats the deal?:help2:

Blacky
June 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM
ok so I thought once the orange led's were flashing alternately the bootblock upgrade was finished? i unplugged flashscan from computer and plugged it back in and it's still in dead poll (led's still flashing alternately)? whats the deal?:help2:

Please carefully read the Readme.rtf file that is installed as part of the V8.1 installation. After installing V8.1.1, you can find it here: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Documentation\Readme.rtf

It explains what you need to do once you have done the boot block upgrade (to V2.05.08) from FlashScan's menu.

Regards
Paul

juddski88
June 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM
ok so now flashscan is stuck on splash screen unless i put it in Dead Poll, explorer says it's loaded with Bootblock V2.05.08 but its not letting me load in new firmware now. HAPI and Explorer keep saying Flashscan is not connected.

juddski88
June 17th, 2008, 02:14 AM
ok, I was able to get explorer and HAPI to recognize flashscan in dead poll mode and got a firmware version2.05.17 (506) into it. it rebooted finally and gave me "update license" finally. what firmware should i set it at really....72 or .17(620)?

juddski88
June 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM
i figured it out...firmware2.05.17(612) is in new download....i need to get more sleep!

Kurtomac
August 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM
issue...the file you attached is a efw file i need a ffw file

FeetDry
September 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
I just tried to post a page worth of stuff,.... and none of it got posted. Ooh joy.

FeetDry
September 1st, 2008, 06:44 AM
The short story,......
I can read w/ my V2, but I can't write.
Blah blah blah,.... firmware blah blah blah,.. version blah blah blah,....

Thea attached device has previously been upgarded to boot block V2.05 or greater.
The EFIxxx V2 prog cna only be uyse to prog devices w/ boot block 2.04.xx or less.
Pleas use EFI explorer to program devices w/ boot block 2.5.xx or greater

I don't know what boot block, EFI explorer, or a V8 is.
It appears I need a file that I can't find. What file am I looking for? Where can I find it? How do I fix this?

Blacky
September 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM
Download and install the latest software, both V7.5.4 and V8.1.1 from here:
http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

Then after installing V8.1.1, read this document:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8.1-Documents->Upgrading FlashScan.

EFILive Explorer is part of the V8.1.1 software installation.

Regards
Paul

FeetDry
September 9th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I have the orange flashy-flashy. Do I FLASH both the AC & FS files? I'm thinking these are 2 different things, but unsure.

joecar
September 9th, 2008, 02:12 AM
If you have V2, flash the FS file only.

FeetDry
September 9th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I think I have loaded all the config/cals to the V2. That is, I think I have followed the instructions correctly. I formated tuner memory,.. formated scan memory (internal only). If I try to select a PID on the V2, I get "options.ini not found". I guess I need to write this to FLASH somewhere. Did I miss a step?

Blacky
September 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
The Options.ini file must be copied from here: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Config\Options.ini (or in later versions from here: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Programs\Options.ini) to the [Config] tab page of the EFILive Explorer program.

A graphical user friendly application will soon be available that allows you to configure the FlashScan V2 for black box logging without having to manually edit and copy the various files. But for now you just have to set up the files yourself.

Regards
Paul

xmadmax
September 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
The Options.ini file must be copied from here: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Config\Options.ini (or in later versions from here: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Programs\Options.ini) to the [Config] tab page of the EFILive Explorer program.

A graphical user friendly application will soon be available that allows you to configure the FlashScan V2 for black box logging without having to manually edit and copy the various files. But for now you just have to set up the files yourself.

Regards
Paul

Good Timing, I just got stuck on that too...thanks for reading my mind :grin:

got the rest of it figured out though, the instructions in the install file are good, you just have to read ALL of it

stigmundfreud
September 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
similar problem to original post, I skipped the bootloader and ended up with the .20 firmware installed. I can access v2 in deadpole mode but thats all. Tried to downgrade the firmware to then upload the new bootloader only I get error code $008E, a fault caused by trying to install an older version of the firmware....

could do with a little help thanks guys, my own fault just misread the instructions....

ringram
September 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
You can also try support@efilive.com Stig. You might get a faster response on this topic.

joecar
September 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I already pm'd Tech Support.

Blacky
September 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
similar problem to original post, I skipped the bootloader and ended up with the .20 firmware installed. I can access v2 in deadpole mode but thats all. Tried to downgrade the firmware to then upload the new bootloader only I get error code $008E, a fault caused by trying to install an older version of the firmware....

could do with a little help thanks guys, my own fault just misread the instructions....

Which bootloader version is in the device?

You should be able to find out using the "FLashScan Firmware Programmer" software and clicking on the [Status] button.

Regards
Paul

stigmundfreud
September 25th, 2008, 06:41 PM
its the 04 instead of 08 bootloader, I'd had the bb running on the earlier release, luckily not the 06 one!

stigmundfreud
September 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cheers rich and joe :)

joecar
September 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Mike, you got it working...? :cheers:

stigmundfreud
September 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
nope :( :D

It appears a check is now in place to ensure you dont try to flash your v2 with an older version of the flash than the one installed. A logic error perhaps as wouldnt it be better (to cater for us numpties ;)) by ensuring the correct bootloader is installed prior to writing the firmware?

My mistake was I saw the version of bootloader required but didn't recognise, in time, the difference. My fault 100%

What I now need is a means to override the firmware check in order to get the older compatible BBL firmware installed then I can update my bootblock then the firmware....

thankfully, all I need it for at present is to log stft

joecar
September 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Flash in the firmware version FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw (that matches the V2.05.04 boot block).

Then upgrade the boot block to FSBootV2_05_08(0426).efw
Then flash in the firmware FSProgV2_05_17(0512).efw

All those files should be in the May 12, beta download.

Regards
PaulMike,

So it won't let you flash in V2_05_15(0326)...?

More info:
showthread.php?t=8834 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8834)
showthread.php?t=7751 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7751)
showthread.php?t=7804 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804)
showthread.php?t=8085 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8085)

ringram
September 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Spoke to Mike today and I think Paul is going to send him a special version that allows overwrite. Though either of them can correct me if Im wrong.

stigmundfreud
September 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Mike,

So it won't let you flash in V2_05_15(0326)...?

More info:
showthread.php?t=8834 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8834)
showthread.php?t=7751 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7751)
showthread.php?t=7804 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804)
showthread.php?t=8085 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8085)

will take another look through the threads tomorrow, just got back from a shameful trip to the strip :( so off to drown my sorrows!

Basically thats correct, I tried to reflash with that an get $008E (iirc) which is "trying to flash with version older than the version currently installed", give it a try ;)

V2 is working it just wont talk thanks to the bootblock, own fault but really need to monitor timing as I'm sure I heard detonation on the strip, though further road tests might have revealed it to be an empty plastic bag rustling under the passenger seat :D

edit to add: Richard, not totally correct not had any conversation of that nature though it might have to be a future feature ;)

stigmundfreud
September 28th, 2008, 12:42 AM
One is rather embarrassed, I had read one of blackys posts on the matter but it was for an older version. Using the 015 version it flashed ok, updated the bootblock and now all up to date and working

Feel so stupid especially when I work in similar circles and constantly battling with users, just like me!

joecar
September 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Mike,

It's a complicated procedure, don't feel bad, it happens to all of us... :gossip:

So you got it all working now...? :cheers:

stigmundfreud
September 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
working great but noticed my o2's are suggesting rather rich running and stftavg showing 10% so going for a run in a bit

So its working and working really well!

edit to add, nothing so complicated as reading the instructions rather than skimming them ;)

ringram
September 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Nice one BBL is great when it works :)

stigmundfreud
September 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
if only I left the LC-1 in place :( ;)

joecar
September 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
if only I left the LC-1 in place :( ;)It gives you an excuse to get away from the Mrs for a few hours... "I have to install the fuel economy device I was telling you about..." :hihi::hihi: