PDA

View Full Version : BB Logging beta update: May 19, 2008

Blacky
May 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
IMPORTANT
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO,
YOU MUST UPDATE FLASHSCAN'S BOOT BLOCK TO V2.05.08(0426)
BEFORE
YOU ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE THE FIRMWARE TO V2.05.16 OR LATER.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804

Download here: http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILive_Beta_Update_May_19_2008.zip (20Mb)
This download includes and supersedes all previous BBL beta downloads.

ALL *.pmm files have been updated. you MUST delete ALL *.pmm files from FlashScan (before upgrading the firmware) and from the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8\config (before unzipping the downloaded zip file). Failure to do so will cause unpredictable results when you restart FlashScan after updating the firmware to 2.05.17(0519).

The Readme_First.pdf file included in the zip file has not been updated, except to update version numbers.

The FlashScan AutoCal V2.5 Release Notes _beta_.pdf file has some important "Known Issues" asnd updates. Please read them.

The FlashScan AutoCal V2.5 Quick Reference _beta_.pdf file has not been updated.

Make sure you update your FlashScan (and/or AutoCal) firmware and boot block using the latest *.efw files from the \Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware folder.

Regards
Paul

Lennart
May 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but even though I flashed the latest bootloader 2.05.08(0426) the Explorer and V2 show a date of Apr. 25, 2008.

Blacky
May 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
You also need to update FlashScan with the latest firmware file: FSProgV2.05.17(0519).efw (from the Firmware folder).

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM
VPW mode $06 still says "Mode $06 Data Not Retrieved".

Blacky
May 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
VPW mode $06 still says "Mode $06 Data Not Retrieved".

Still not implemented. :(

swingtan
May 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Excellent work! I'm now trying to get my head around the "Dynamic" section in the E38 Fuel group. It's early days yet but the excitement is growing.

It did prompt me to remember something that I worked out way back in January and may have forgotten to pass on.

In the PE tables, B0156 provides a TPS% level to enable PE. I found that measured TPS% was vastly different to the PE% displayed in the table. I had all sorts of troubles trying to work it out so I started remapping the measured TPS% vs TuneTool TPS%. The results showed that there was a logarithmic offset between the 2 values, as shown in the attached image.

While there are differing thoughts on weather PE should be controlled by TPS%, MAP or both, there is a question as to what other TPS% settings may be effected by this offset?

Simon.

joecar
May 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Still not implemented. :(
Paul,

That's ok, take your time... I was going by the quick reference guide...

I'm having some cat codes so I am playing around with mode 6.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

swingtan
May 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I did a couple of logs this afternoon. Replaying them in ScanTool has dropped a couple of the PIDs off. They exist in the log file but do not display. I copied the previous options.ini file back into the config filesystem as I didn't see any info in the readme to say there were changes and it was fine before.

The following PIDs no longer show up in the ScanTool...

ECM, INVLVTMP_M
ECM, OCTSCL_M
ECM, AFRATIO_M

Sample log file is attached.

hymey
May 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Has anyone tried pass thru logging yet?

Blacky
May 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I did a couple of logs this afternoon. Replaying them in ScanTool has dropped a couple of the PIDs off. They exist in the log file but do not display. I copied the previous options.ini file back into the config filesystem as I didn't see any info in the readme to say there were changes and it was fine before.

The following PIDs no longer show up in the ScanTool...

ECM, INVLVTMP_M
ECM, OCTSCL_M
ECM, AFRATIO_M
Sample log file is attached.

Is it possible you've exceeded the channel count?
24 for VPW, 42 for CAN?

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Has anyone tried pass thru logging yet?
Is there a problem, or are you just curious?
If you've found a problem or something that looks like a problem please let me know.
Regards
Paul

02Z06
May 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just got done trying VPW Inovate LM1 logging. Using Firmware 2.05.17 (0519) and the newest bootblock. I double checked FS2 for settings W02 com in + Out and inovate checked as WB and still shows (no controller found) I have the inovate and FS cable connected with null-modem M/M adapter? BTW I tried VPW with my truck and CAN with my Z06.

swingtan
May 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Is it possible you've exceeded the channel count?
24 for VPW, 42 for CAN?

Regards
Paul

I don't think so. I haven't changed the channel count from the previous version and it was fine there. I just did a recount and I have 26 channels, but eh E38 is a CAN BUS isn't it?

hymey
May 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Is there a problem, or are you just curious?
If you've found a problem or something that looks like a problem please let me know.
Regards
Paul

I have problems with this current bootblock with passthrough logging, I have tried all the firmware bar this version. I was just wondering as I have a drag meet on Friday and if there are any minor issues with logging WB02 I will hang out till after the meet.

I sent to an error report last week.

Cheers

Joel

hymey
May 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
but eh E38 is a CAN BUS isn't it?

Surely is:hihi:

Lennart
May 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
You also need to update FlashScan with the latest firmware file: FSProgV2.05.17(0519).efw (from the Firmware folder).

Regards
Paul

Did that.

joecar
May 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but even though I flashed the latest bootloader 2.05.08(0426) the Explorer and V2 show a date of Apr. 25, 2008.I see the same thing... I think that's ok.

Blacky
May 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but even though I flashed the latest bootloader 2.05.08(0426) the Explorer and V2 show a date of Apr. 25, 2008.

Oh, you mean the date of the boot loader still shows as Apr 25. I thought you meant the date of the firmware.

Hmm, looks like I've got a mismatch between the filename (0426) and the date 25 Apr, 2008. What you are seeing is ok, I'll fix the date in the file name next release.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM
OK, I've found the issue.

It seems the PID names have changed in the latest firmware but don't get translated back to the correct PID in ScanTool. Here's a quick breakdown of the 3 PIDs I noticed.

PID Names for FW Versions

FW-(0512) FW-(0519)

E38.INVLVTMP_M GM.INVLVTMP_M
E38.APCYL_M GM.APCYL_M
E38.AFRATIO_M GM.AFRATIO_M

Using the previous trick of editing the log file and changing the "GM" to "E38" returns the data in ScanTool.

regards,

Simon

swingtan
May 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I've performed 2 logs today that are over 50,000 frames long. Both load in ScanTool after fixing the PIDs and both are truncated at 50,000 frames. The scroll bar allows you to scroll past the end of the data in ScanTool, but the lines just stop at the 50,000 frame mark. The Metadata indicates that there are a lot more than 50,000 frames....

FRAMECOUNT=00092371
FRAMECOUNT=00057076

I've attached a screen shot to show the screen.

By the way, is there any chance we can get the "Auto Replot" limit raised? It seems to have an internal limit of 30,000.

Simon.

Blacky
May 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
You can raise the 50,000 frame limit in the Properties window on the Logging tab page.
I'll change the auto re-plot to be x1000 (the same as the frame limit in the Logging tab page). i.e. that will turn the 30,000 limit into 30,000,000.

Regards
Paul

Hi Guys,

I've performed 2 logs today that are over 50,000 frames long. Both load in ScanTool after fixing the PIDs and both are truncated at 50,000 frames. The scroll bar allows you to scroll past the end of the data in ScanTool, but the lines just stop at the 50,000 frame mark. The Metadata indicates that there are a lot more than 50,000 frames....

FRAMECOUNT=00092371
FRAMECOUNT=00057076

I've attached a screen shot to show the screen.

By the way, is there any chance we can get the "Auto Replot" limit raised? It seems to have an internal limit of 30,000.

Simon.

swingtan
May 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Excellent! Sorry I missed that.

I take it that the reason was to prevent overly long "re-plot" times for large logs. In this case, it would be good to have a process where the re-plot is done in the background for the data outside the current window. Then as you scroll across, the additional data is plotted "on the fly".

I'll settle for a detailed explanation on the "dynamic fueling" options though.... :cheers:

Simon.

Blacky
May 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Excellent! Sorry I missed that.

I take it that the reason was to prevent overly long "re-plot" times for large logs. In this case, it would be good to have a process where the re-plot is done in the background for the data outside the current window. Then as you scroll across, the additional data is plotted "on the fly".

I'll settle for a detailed explanation on the "dynamic fueling" options though.... :cheers:

Simon.

Given the speed of today's PCs the replot times should only be a second or two at most for 100,000 frames. Unfortunately when the scan tool software was designed one of the goals was to keep the logged data on disk at all times - not in memory. That is what slows it down and why the auto-replot option (kludge) was added.

Version 8 has all new strip charts (with data purely in memory) and I have benchmarked them plotting 50,000 frames in less than a second on a 1.8GHz Pentium. So it should not be be an issue in version 8.

Can't help on the dynamic fueling right now :(

Regards
Paul

swingtan
May 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Version 8 is sounding great..... ;)

Blacky
May 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Version 8 is sounding great..... ;)

Unfortunately, sounding great and actually delivering it are two very different things :( But we'll get there as soon as we can.
Regards
Paul

hymey
May 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hi fellas, I still can't get pass-through to work..With BBL all the dma pids are recording and displaying in the scan tool but They are not showing up on the PC when I upload them. The coil temp and inlet valve temp have GM in front of them instead of E38(unsure where to change this). They show up with red crosses in the log. The rest of the dma pids do not show up at all. Only time the BBL has not worked for me.

Cheers

Joel

Bruce Melton
May 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
All hooked up and displaying on V2 for serial WB (LM-1) and External pids found in 7.5 but invalid and not supported when trying to pass through to 7.5 build 56?

Are there canned instructions for the BBL and pass through?

Blacky
May 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I will be working on the pass through problem today and over the weekend if necessary.
Regards
Paul

Bruce Melton
May 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Sure works swell at the V2 level, now if we can just stuff it up the wire to the MAPS/dash!

swingtan
May 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hi fellas, I still can't get pass-through to work..With BBL all the dma pids are recording and displaying in the scan tool but They are not showing up on the PC when I upload them. The coil temp and inlet valve temp have GM in front of them instead of E38(unsure where to change this). They show up with red crosses in the log. The rest of the dma pids do not show up at all. Only time the BBL has not worked for me.

Cheers

Joel

Joel, I mentioned this a couple of posts back and I think you may be confusing the issue a little bit. I don't think the Pass-through issue and the DMA PID issue are related.

The BBL issue where DMA PID's don't display is just that the Meta-Data in the log file is using the wrong PID names. You can get a copy of HEXEdit (http://www.catch22.net/software/zips/HexEdit121.zip) which is a free download to alter the log files and make the DMA PID's work again. After installing HEXEdit, open a log file and scroll down a little to find the meta-data. In the right hand side of the HEXEdit page, it will look like this... ( surplus removed data shown as | )

[FILE],2..VERSIO
N=7.1..DECSEP=..
.[VEHICLE],2..VI
N=6G1ZK54H26LXXX
XXX..OS=12607218
..[PID],23..SAE.
ECT=0..SAE.IAT=1
..GM.INVLVTMP_M=
2..SAE.MAP=4..GM
.APCYL_M=5..SAE.
RPM=7..SAE.SPARK
ADV=9..GM.ETCTP=
10..SAE.VSS=12..
GM.KR=13..GM.OCT
SCL_M=14..GM.AFR
ATIO_M=16..EXT.W
O2ST1=18..EXT.WO
|
|
|
TE=2454610..STAR
TTIME=18436..[En
d_Of_Meta_Data],

Find the PIDs that don't show up and note the "GM" prefix, highlighted in BLUE above. HEXEdit will be in "Over Write" mode by default, so press the <Insert> button on the keyboard to enter "Insert" mode ( check the bottom right hand corner of the screen ). Place the cursor just in front of the "GM" by clicking with the mouse, then press <DEL> twice to remove the "GM". Then type in "E38" to insert the "E38" prefix. Do this for each PID that is named incorrectly in the log file. When done, it should look like this...

[FILE],2..VERSIO
N=7.1..DECSEP=..
.[VEHICLE],2..VI
N=6G1ZK54H26LXXX
XXX..OS=12607218
..[PID],23..SAE.
ECT=0..SAE.IAT=1
..E38.INVLVTMP_M
=2..SAE.MAP=4..E
38.APCYL_M=5..SA
E.RPM=7..SAE.SPA
RKADV=9..GM.ETCT
P=10..SAE.VSS=12
..GM.KR=13..E38.
OCTSCL_M=14..E38
.AFRATIO_M=16..E
XT.WO2ST1=18..EX
|
|
|
.[End_Of_Meta_Da
ta],

Click <file>-<save as> and choose a new file name so you don't overwrite the original ( just in case something went wrong... ). Opening the file in ScanTool should now display the DMA PIDs correctly.

I'm not sure about the pass-through issue, I haven't tried it. I'll give it a go later and see if I can log in pass-through.

Simon.

hymey
May 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry Simon,

I miss informed you, the pass thru and the dma pids are seperate problems. I will have a go at the hex edit now.

Thanks mate.

Joel

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Keep getting this error when I try to read a guys 2004 GMC truck :
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/My-fotos/Efiliveerror.jpg
Can read the PCM with Tune Tool , just can't connect with Scan Tool .

joecar
May 23rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
You're connecting to FlashScan only... tell it to connect to the PCM.

joecar
May 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
May 19th update, testing on LS1B:
- scantool connects/logs ok in passthru mode (OBD-II stuff and DVT stuff works),
- BBL mode logs ok,
- Diagnostics displayed/saved ok.
- Clear DTC: V2 says "Error $0281" but it does clear the DTC.

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
You're connecting to FlashScan only... tell it to connect to the PCM.

? , I selected the correct PCM from the drop down list , like a thousand times before .
Was default set to "FlashScan/AutoCal only" this update ?

Blacky
May 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
? , I selected the correct PCM from the drop down list , like a thousand times before .
Was default set to "FlashScan/AutoCal only" this update ?

If FlashScan cannot communicate with the vehicle, it will report back to the EFILive software that only a connection to FlashScan was made. That has the same effect on the rest of the software as if you had selected "FlashScan only" from the list of controllers to connect to.

If you're not getting a connection to the vehicle, watch the [Console] tab page and note what is displayed when FlashScan is attempting to communicate with the ECM, PCM and TCM modules.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I just tried it again , and made for certain that the correct controller was selected , same error .
This is what happened , plugged to ODBII port , then Laptop opened Scan Tool , selected correct PCM controller , pressed the "green" button , Scan Tool appeared to load , hit "yellow" button and got the error reported .

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
If FlashScan cannot communicate with the vehicle, it will report back to the EFILive software that only a connection to FlashScan was made. That has the same effect on the rest of the software as if you had selected "FlashScan only" from the list of controllers to connect to.

If you're not getting a connection to the vehicle, watch the [Console] tab page and note what is displayed when FlashScan is attempting to communicate with the ECM, PCM and TCM modules.

Regards
Paul
O-k , will go try again and see .

Blacky
May 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
The ignition is on right?

Press Ctrl+Ok on FlashScan. Do you get the VPW or CAN message in the lower right corner of the FlashScan display?

Does the right hand side orange LED flash when you cycle the ignition off then on?

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Screen Shot :
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/My-fotos/EFILive_data.jpg
Help any ?

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Is the firmware wrong ?
Says May 12th, 2008 .
Just re-flashed and now says May 19th, 2008
Thanks , for the help that was it .

Blacky
May 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
The ignition is on right?

Press Ctrl+Ok on FlashScan. Do you get the VPW or CAN message in the lower right corner of the FlashScan display?

Does the right hand side orange LED flash when you cycle the ignition off then on?

Regards
Paul
Did you check these things?

May 19 is the latest firmware.
(My screen shot says May 22 because I am using the next update that has not been released yet.)

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
May 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Yes I figured the May 22 was next unreleased update date , see above .
Thanks
Don't know how I missed and selected the wrong update .
Man have to many things going at once !

joecar
May 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Is the firmware wrong ?
Says May 12th, 2008 .
Just re-flashed and now says May 19th, 2008
Thanks , for the help that was it .That's it... May 12th didn't connect to VPW. May 19th does. :cheers:

oztracktuning
May 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
When i try the latest update to BB log. i choose pids eg LS1B A and then go to start logging and it says no pids selected. I notice that after i select pids it changes whats displayed as VPW to ALDL.

Is there something wrong with the update or something i can do at my end.??

joecar
May 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
When i try the latest update to BB log. i choose pids eg LS1B A and then go to start logging and it says no pids selected. I notice that after i select pids it changes whats displayed as VPW to ALDL.

Is there something wrong with the update or something i can do at my end.??Steve, are you using the May 19th update...?

oztracktuning
May 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yes I am

MICK
May 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I was just wondering if logging serial wideband in pass through mode is up and running. I was keen to see how this operates with RTACS?

Is this something that is currently being worked on or tested?

Serial input and output for Dyno's, has anybody tested this yet, as I see it is selectable in flashscan next to the wideband?

I have a little testing to do on a Superflow Engine Dyno that I have been working on for the last couple of months and it's all starting to come together. Support for this Dyno and serial input and output, is there any chance?

Do you require Dyno information? Will this help any?

Hummm I do ask a little, but the time has come....:angel_innocent:

Cheers

Mick

ntae
May 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
last week i got a mainline dyno outputing serial in to my V2 cable , i have installed a second rs232 port on the dyno PC in ready for the update from Andrew . i have not had and news from Paul or Andrew in the last 3 weeks so i take it there still working on it

MICK
May 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
That sounds great Geoff!

Thanks for the update on the Dyno setup at your end.

Were you able to log data from the Dyno into flashscan in a usable sense were you could review the log file?

I would guess that Dyno protocol is much the same if not more complicated than wideband and support for various Dyno's will be something further in the future.

Good work!

Cheers

Mick

ntae
May 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
All i can do at this stage is use serial wideband data out of the wideband built in to the dyno

We just need craig to make a E38 Roadrunner ECM

MICK
May 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Maybe he already has and it's being tested, I see that there are RR lines under E38 in the cal link txt file on the beta software?

I asked the question but he did not answer me, so we can only imagine..:)

Cheers

Mick

ntae
May 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe he already has and it's being tested, I see that there are RR lines under E38 in the cal link txt file on the beta software?

I asked the question but he did not answer me, so we can only imagine..:)

Cheers

Mick

I asked a week ago and got not at this stage sorry , but if more people ask we may get one

Blacky
May 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Dyno integration is currently being worked on.
The first stage is done and if you select dyno output for the serial port on FlashScan then it will output ALL the PID data to the serial port.
I have not released the format of the data yet, but once it is released it will be readable by any device (i.e. dyno controller computers).

The second stage: reading dyno data and the third stage: providing dyno controllers with the ability to control FlashScan's DVT options will require working closely with dyno manufacturers.

RoadRunner for E38 is not trivial, it would be a *lot* of work to implement. Orders of magnitude more difficult than LS1.

Regards
Paul

dc_justin
May 24th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Most E38 DVTs don't seem to be working on any vehicle I've tested. CASE learn yields a no reply, try again message. The only thing that I've been able to confirm is working properly is the MIL on/off light.

hymey
May 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Regards
Paul

Thanks Blacky I will try that today.

cheers

ringram
May 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Most E38 DVTs don't seem to be working on any vehicle I've tested. CASE learn yields a no reply, try again message. The only thing that I've been able to confirm is working properly is the MIL on/off light.

I got all excited thinking that final spark for e38 might be there now.. I guess Ill need to wait longer :)

I found the same as you with the idle speed control.

Lennart
May 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I am currently getting an Error $0281 when deleting DTCs on VPW vehicles. The DTC will be reset, though.

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I am currently getting an Error $0281 when deleting DTCs on VPW vehicles. The DTC will be reset, though.

See this: showthread.php?t=8147&highlight=%240281 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8147&highlight=%240281)

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

oztracktuning
May 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
With this update my BBL logging is not working? I used the files in the zip and did the upgrade flashes??

Chevy366
May 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Tried the JAW wide-band and get "Controller Not Found" message .
Made sure cable is correct and that it was selected in V2 as well (LC-1 works and just changed controller to JAW) .

The serial on the JAW is working correctly (serial 2 , 3 , 5) , because I can use it's software and it registers correct data .

This is how I have the Serial to RJ25 (12) cable pins assigned :

DB9 RJ25 (12)
5 > 5
3 > 1 Switched rather than using Null Modem cable .
2 > 2

Blacky
May 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
FlashScan could be misinterpreting the JAW data.

In the next update I have added the serial data to the trace capture. After the next update is available (in a day or two), please retry connecting to the JAW and then save a trace file and send it to me. Then I can see what data is being sent/received on the serial connection.

Regards
Paul

Made sure cable is correct and that it was selected in V2 as well (LC-1 works and just changed controller to JAW) .

The serial on the JAW is working correctly (serial 2 , 3 , 5) , because I can use it's software and it registers correct data .

DB9 RJ25 (12)
5 > 5
2 > 2

Chevy366
May 26th, 2008, 02:46 AM
FlashScan could be misinterpreting the JAW data.

In the next update I have added the serial data to the trace capture. After the next update is available (in a day or two), please retry connecting to the JAW and then save a trace file and send it to me. Then I can see what data is being sent/received on the serial connection.

Regards
Paul

Thanks , will do .

02Z06
May 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM

DB9 RJ25 (12)
5 > 5
2 > 2
If the RJ25(12) is the FS2 cable, then the following worked for me:

DB9 RJ12

5>5
3>2
2>1

I made the switch using an old serial cable M/F so I did not need to tamper with the FS2 cable.

Chuck CoW
May 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Excellent work! I'm now trying to get my head around the "Dynamic" section in the E38 Fuel group. It's early days yet but the excitement is growing.

It did prompt me to remember something that I worked out way back in January and may have forgotten to pass on.

In the PE tables, B0156 provides a TPS% level to enable PE. I found that measured TPS% was vastly different to the PE% displayed in the table. I had all sorts of troubles trying to work it out so I started remapping the measured TPS% vs TuneTool TPS%. The results showed that there was a logarithmic offset between the 2 values, as shown in the attached image.

While there are differing thoughts on weather PE should be controlled by TPS%, MAP or both, there is a question as to what other TPS% settings may be effected by this offset?

Simon.

Hey Simon....Having seen what you're looking at, I'd say that the one that is smoother is "filtered" or smoothed because the pcm is quite quick in these vehicles and rather than have guy operating the throttle (whose had too much coffee and might be shaking and vibrating a bit) I could see the "coffee guy's" erratic throttle transitions resulting in unwanted throttle transitions which could be avoided by "filtering" the TPS measured voltages.

Follow?
Chuck CoW

swingtan
May 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure I follow Chuck.....

If you are referring to my image, the "smoother" ( yellow ) line is simply a logarithmic trend line of the data I had measured ( green Line ). Given this was back in Jan, when it took nearly 3 min to do a calibration flash on the car, I didn't do all the possible settings. But the trend line seemed to match up very closely. So a tune setting of 4% TPS is actually 27% TPS when measured by the PID ETCTP. If you want to control PE via MAP pressure with a low TPS% setting, then this table is very handy.

My original query was really regarding B2009 as it's another TPS% setting. Given the differences I found in the PE tables, I was wondering if this setting also would suffer from the offset. If it did, it would make fine tuning the wall wetting a bit "hit and miss".

I'm pretty sure that Dynamic fueling in the E38 is tightly coupled with the MAF though. I tried some tests with turning off wall wetting with the MAF disabled and there was no discernible difference measured AFR's. Once I turned wall wetting back on and re-enabled the MAF, there was a difference.

hymey
May 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have mine set at 6% simon which equates to 30% throttle, but when the car is idling Throttle is at 15% and WOT is 88%, but WOT is 100% when logging the alternate Throttle pid.

When will the update become available to repair the e38 pids.(to save going into hex edit each log)

Cheers

Joel

Chuck CoW
May 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure I follow Chuck.....

If you are referring to my image, the "smoother" ( yellow ) line is simply a logarithmic trend line of the data I had measured ( green Line ). Given this was back in Jan, when it took nearly 3 min to do a calibration flash on the car, I didn't do all the possible settings. But the trend line seemed to match up very closely. So a tune setting of 4% TPS is actually 27% TPS when measured by the PID ETCTP. If you want to control PE via MAP pressure with a low TPS% setting, then this table is very handy.

My original query was really regarding B2009 as it's another TPS% setting. Given the differences I found in the PE tables, I was wondering if this setting also would suffer from the offset. If it did, it would make fine tuning the wall wetting a bit "hit and miss".

I'm pretty sure that Dynamic fueling in the E38 is tightly coupled with the MAF though. I tried some tests with turning off wall wetting with the MAF disabled and there was no discernible difference measured AFR's. Once I turned wall wetting back on and re-enabled the MAF, there was a difference.

TPS is very important..... I've been playing with the throttle with Ross a while ago and if you mess with loging throttle enough, there are a number of things happening like you described....

What I was saying was that you should not just assume the throttle parameter you're logging is the one that the pcm is using....I'm quite sure the actual pedal TPS is filtered and when you studs the tps stuff, there seems to be more than necessary.... They're doing LOTS of stuff with the different TPS values....

Chuck CoW

hymey
June 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Will the dma e38 pids be a permanent fix(in hex edit) for the next update?

Cheers

Joel

Blacky
June 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Will the dma e38 pids be a permanent fix(in hex edit) for the next update?

Cheers

Joel

They should be ok in the next update.
Please let me know if they are not.

Regards
Paul

Aint Skeered
June 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
WHere do I find the latest update? my may 19th update is not allowing pass through or when Viewing my file on scantool, my wide band serial is not showing. I dont have serial Calc Ben 1 pids. and not able to look at my wideband on scantool while replaying logs from bbl.

I forwarded JoeCarr my log and he was able to see my air fuel ratio on his computer.

What am I missing?

joecar
June 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
At the moment you can do either of passthru or BBL but not both at the same time.

I can view your log just fine on my two laptops... I can see your serial AFR and BEN.

There must be something missing on your setup... I pm'd Tech Support.

Aint Skeered
June 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I will try it again in pass though. SHould it work with the wideband hooked up in serial to the v2 and show on the laptop in pass though?

Blacky
June 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I will try it again in pass though. SHould it work with the wideband hooked up in serial to the v2 and show on the laptop in pass though?

Don't have FlashScan displaying the wideband O2 screen or BBL logging when trying to log data in passthrough from the PC. Those three tasks are mutually exclusive. (I may need to force FlashScan to cancel BB logging and/or WO2 display when passthrough logging is started).

Just leave FlashScan displaying a menu (not logging or displaying any data) when you want to log passthrough data.

You can log serial wideband in passthrough mode simply by having the wide band serial plugged into FlashScan.

As long as the left orange LED is on or flashing, then serial data is being received by FlashScan. The PC will automatically retrieve that serial data from FlashScan when you have the EXT.WO2AFR1 and/or EXT.WO2AFR2 PIDs selected.

Regards
Paul

Duramax 6.6L
June 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
How stable is the BB Logging, I have been waiting to try

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
OK. So I followed the directions in the Read Me file and put the latest version of V7.5 on my computer. I downloaded the files and they were not unzipped into a folder named \Program Files, they were unloaded into a temporary IE file. I tried several times and it always opened in a temporary file. So I went ahead and upgraded boot block and now I'm in dead poll mode. So how do I get out of dead poll mode?

Duramax 6.6L
June 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
you must install the firmware now.

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I would, but you can't install the firmware in dead poll mode can you? I get a $0024 error or something like that which plasters across my screen and ad infinatum. What am I missing?

Duramax 6.6L
June 5th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I would, but you can't install the firmware in dead poll mode can you? I get a $0024 error or something like that which plasters across my screen and ad infinatum. What am I missing?

To update the firmware the unit must be in dead poll

For a step by step read this:

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/efilive_firmware_instructions.htm

Hope it helps.

Duramax 6.6L
June 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
FlashScan and AutoCal are designed to be field upgradeable and have been configured with two
distinct software modules:
1. The boot block.
2. The firmware.
The boot block is a small, simple program that only has enough power to communicate with the
host PC, to perform various “power on self tests” (POSTs) and to erase and reprogram the
firmware. The boot block cannot erase or reprogram itself.
The firmware is the main program that controls the keypad, the screen and performs various data
logging and diagnostic scan tool duties. The firmware cannot erase or reprogram itself.
How to tell which mode is executing:
• When FlashScan is in dead poll mode, i.e. under boot block control, the two orange LEDs
will flash alternately.
• When AutoCal is in dead poll mode, i.e. under boot block control, the LCD backlight will
flash.
• When FlashScan or AutoCal are operating normally, i.e. under firmware control, the LCD
screen will display the normal menu options.
To be able to program new firmware into FlashScan or AutoCal, it MUST be in dead poll mode.
When you click the [Program] button in EFILive_Explorer, dead poll mode will be requested prior
to beginning the firmware update.
You may select dead poll mode manually by holding down the Ctrl key on FlashScan’s keypad or
the Ok key on AutoCal’s keypad while connecting the USB cable from the PC to the FlashScan or
AutoCal device.
To be able to program a new boot block into FlashScan or AutoCal, it MUST be operating
normally under firmware control. When you click the [Program] button in EFILive_Explorer, the
boot block will be updated, and then the first sector of the firmware will be deliberately erased.
The deliberate erasure forces FlashScan or AutoCal into dead poll mode until new firmware is
programmed. So after a successful boot block upgrade, FlashScan or AutoCal will enter and stay
in dead poll mode until new firmware is programmed into it.
Attempting to program the boot block when in dead poll mode DOES NOT WORK. Even
though FlashScan or AutoCal may indicate that the boot block has been successfully
updated.

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
To update the firmware the unit must be in dead poll

For a step by step read this:

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/efilive_firmware_instructions.htm

Hope it helps.

Well, as is usually the case for me with these upgrades, I get screwed up.

I don't know exactly how, but I guess it is done. Thanks.

Blacky
June 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Well, as is usually the case for me with these upgrades, I get screwed up.

I don't know exactly how, but I guess it is done. Thanks.

When you say "I guess it is done" do you mean the upgrade completed and FlashScan is now working normally, or do you mean FlashScan is still in deadpoll?

Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
It isn't in dead poll anymore but it isn't working properly. I got the boot block and firmware upgraded but my software and computer are not communicating with flashscan now. When I try to pull up the firmware info it comes up with nothing and when I open my tuning software now I go to demo mode when the V2 is plugged in.

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I had a feeling it was a bad idea for me to do this.

Blacky
June 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
After the bootblock upgrade, you can no longer use the EFILive Firmware Programmer software. you must now use the EFILive_Explorer.exe program, found in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Explorer.

When you run EFILive_Explorer.exe and view the [Firmware] tab page, what values do you see for the boot block date and version, and the firmware date and version.

If EFILive_Explorer can't retrieve that info, can you please locate that info via the on screen options in FlashScan.

P.S. Have you read the ReadMe_First.pdf file that is in the zipped file that you downloaded? It explains the upgrade process in detail.

Regards
Paul

nevinsb
June 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I installed this release on my home Dell laptop (Inspiron 600m) which I am loaning to one of my friends who also has the EFI Live V2, and I am noticing a bit of an oddity with the license "add" button which is not happening on my other laptop (Dell Latitude D810) or my desktop PC.

When he added a new VIN license to his V2 and clicked the "Add" button, the first time, it didn't do anything, so he clicked on it again, and received two message boxes. For some reason it is eating the first mouse click. I tried using bogus values for the It is not doing this on either my 810 or my desktop. He tried installing debugging software on the laptop, but couldn't trace the problem any further because he didn't have the symbol definitions for one of the drivers, so said, screw them, they can fix their own software.

All 3 are running XP Pro SP2, and as far as I can tell, the mouse properties are the same, a fairly fresh install with no extra fancy mouse icons, and it is only the "Add" button that is doing this. Both other computers, when you click on the "Add" button, the cursor turns to the busy icon, then you get the ERROR, Can not add license message box. On this laptop, the cursor doesn't change at all after the first click, and after you click the second time, you get the busy icon, then two message boxes.

The only othe thing I am wondering, is I think that this laptop might have USB 1.1 instead of 2.0 like the othe computers I have.

Anyone else run into this, or something similar?

Blacky
June 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
When he added a new VIN license to his V2 and clicked the "Add" button, the first time, it didn't do anything, so he clicked on it again, and received two message boxes.

That sounds strange, I've not heard of that happening before.

There is a problem on some Windows configurations (mostly Vista, but it has happened on XP before), where a dialog box will open behind the main EFILive window. You can't see the dialog box so it looks like nothing happened. If you Alt-Tab at that point you may get it to re-appear. Try doing that after the first mouse click appears to do nothing.

Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
After the bootblock upgrade, you can no longer use the EFILive Firmware Programmer software. you must now use the EFILive_Explorer.exe program, found in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8\EFILive_Explorer.

When you run EFILive_Explorer.exe and view the [Firmware] tab page, what values do you see for the boot block date and version, and the firmware date and version.

If EFILive_Explorer can't retrieve that info, can you please locate that info via the on screen options in FlashScan.

P.S. Have you read the ReadMe_First.pdf file that is in the zipped file that you downloaded? It explains the upgrade process in detail.

Regards
Paul

Idid use EFILive_Explorer.exe.

EFILive_Explorer can no longer retrieve the boot block data and version or the firmware date and version.

I did download, print, and fully read and follow the ReadMe pdf.

The zipped files did not seem to load where they were intended. They went to a temporary IE file.

My flashscan now just fires up with a center blue light and EFILive Flashscan V2 on the screen - won't do anything else - no on screen options.

SOMhaveit
June 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM
OK. I went through the whole deal again, going into dead poll, etc. I still have boot block 2.05.04 dated Oct. 16, 2007 and I have Firmware 2.05.17 dated Apr. 25, 2008.

My bootblock is not updating even though EFILive_Explorer indicates that a successful update has occurred. Do I need to go back to V2.04.72 firmware to be able to upgrade boot block?

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 12:09 AM
"ALL *.pmm files have been updated. you MUST delete ALL *.pmm files from FlashScan (before upgrading the firmware) and from the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8\config (before unzipping the downloaded zip file). Failure to do so will cause unpredictable results when you restart FlashScan after updating the firmware to 2.05.17(0519)."

Is this part of the problem? Exactly how does one do this?

nevinsb
June 6th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I am assuming you are running the bootblock update from "C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Boot Block" in the explorer. Do not run the boot block upgrade from inside of the flashscan menu. The little checkbox in the explorer should be checked by default when you try to flash the bootloader. If it is not, you are probably trying to load firmware.

I thought the explorer automatically put mine into the correct mode to upload the new bootloader. The instructions also note not to put the flashscan into dead poll mode to updating the boot block.

I guess for a future version, would it be possible to make a more "User proof" upgrade procedure, like when you have the flash scan plugged in and the tuning tool running, have it prompt to update bootblock/firmware, so you just have to click "Yes"

The PPM files shouldn't affect your issue. This is on a much lower level. To resolve this issue, delete everything in the "config" directory, and re-extract the whole zip file again. Run EFILIVE, and there is a "format" button in the explorer under the config tab.

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
"ALL *.pmm files have been updated. you MUST delete ALL *.pmm files from FlashScan (before upgrading the firmware) and from the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8\config (before unzipping the downloaded zip file). Failure to do so will cause unpredictable results when you restart FlashScan after updating the firmware to 2.05.17(0519)."

Is this part of the problem? Exactly how does one do this?
No that's not part of the problem.
Paul

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM
OK. I went through the whole deal again, going into dead poll, etc. I still have boot block 2.05.04 dated Oct. 16, 2007 and I have Firmware 2.05.17 dated Apr. 25, 2008.

That is the problem. The boot block V2.05.04 and firmware V2.05.17 are not compatible.

You must use EFILive_Explorer to flash back in an older version of the firmware, specifically this one: FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw

Then upgrade your bootblock to this one: FSBootV2_05_08(0425).efw (that file may also be called FSBootV2_05_08(0426).efw in some downloads)

Then reflash the firmware: FSProgV2_05_17(0529).efw or later.

Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I saw that in a different thread.

I can't find FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw anywhere on my computer.

If you have that somewhere can you give a link to it or email it to me?

Blacky
June 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I saw that in a different thread.

I can't find FSProgV2_05_15(0326).efw anywhere on my computer.

If you have that somewhere can you give a link to it or email it to me?

Just in case anyone else is looking for it...
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=72335&postcount=5

Regards
Paul

SOMhaveit
June 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM
My V2 is working correctly now.

Thank You Paul and everyone else for your help and patience.

XLR8NSS
June 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Any word on the E38 BBL quitting early issue?

Blacky
June 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Any word on the E38 BBL quitting early issue?

I believe it is fixed in the next update.

The next update is a fully installable product. There are two distinct installations: V7.5.4 and V8.1.1. They are still considered beta but they are very close to being the released product. The documentation updates are not finished yet. It should be available for download this week.

Regards
Paul

macca_779
June 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM
V8 already Paul.. That's excellent news.

hymey
June 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Great stuff Blacky. I will post the pass thru logging issue up today(one I spoke of last week). I will have a look what it says in the console tab and post it up.

Maybe reinstalling the software and drivers in my notebook may fix the problem?

You quote "the next installation is a fully installable product" I take it you mean a full uninstall of 7.5.3 and full install of 7.5.4 rather than just updating calz files in C drive?

I been away the last week so I will try this stuff today and forward it to you before the next update.

cheers

Joel

Blacky
June 10th, 2008, 07:45 AM
V8 already Paul.. That's excellent news.
Probably not as excellent as you might think. The V8.1.1 install is only for the EFILive_Explorer program required for the Black Box Logging Beta testing.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
You quote "the next installation is a fully installable product" I take it you mean a full uninstall of 7.5.3 and full install of 7.5.4 rather than just updating calz files in C drive?

Yes.

Regards
Paul

XLR8NSS
June 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Probably not as excellent as you might think. The V8.1.1 install is only for the EFILive_Explorer program required for the Black Box Logging Beta testing.

Regards
Paul

That is still cool!!! :)

Duramax 6.6L
June 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Is there a way to get a copy of 8.1.1 now

ringram
June 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Yes, go to sleep for a week then when you wake you can download it "now" :)

Aint Skeered
June 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
this will be good, I am on the boat untill next thursday. Maybe then I will see all my pids