PDA

View Full Version : Intel Flash ab28f400b5-b80

dave.au
May 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi All,

I have an ECU here from a Holden gen 3 running the intel flash chip ab28f400b5
Today a friend of mine was updating to the custom OS and it failed at the boot loader update. We replaced the ECU and all is well with the car. After reading it is possible to remove and reburn the eprom. I have a eprom burner and the skills to do this but can anyone shed some advice before I jump in?
and more importantly a .bin i can use to blow in so i can put the correct tune on it?

Thanks

David.

JezzaB
May 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi All,

I have an ECU here from a Holden gen 3 running the intel flash chip ab28f400b5
Today a friend of mine was updating to the custom OS and it failed at the boot loader update. We replaced the ECU and all is well with the car. After reading it is possible to remove and reburn the eprom. I have a eprom burner and the skills to do this but can anyone shed some advice before I jump in?
and more importantly a .bin i can use to blow in so i can put the correct tune on it?

Thanks

David.

I have some bin files you can use.

dave.au
May 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks JezzaB, Ill be able to get this ECU up and running again.

David.

swingtan
May 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
David,

If you want some tips on removing and replacing the chip, send me a PM. If you've worked with SM devices before then you should be OK but it will depend on the equipment you have.

Simon.

Sikhabib
May 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
hey dave ive flashed a few intel eprom chips with my eprom writer heres a few tips:

The best way to remove it is with a heat gun, heat the pins on the chip with the heat gun and you should be able to lift the chip away after a few seconds. Put the flash chip into your eprom programmer and load a raw binary flash file into the chip. Then add a little bit of solder on each of the pads on the pcm board where the chip legs sit and solder the chip back on with a soldering iron.
The PCM should now be working again! if it doesnt you may have needed to select the "invert byte" option in you eprom programmer software before you wrote to the chip, if this is the case youll have to pull off the chip and rewrite it (i learned that the hard way :doh2:)