PDA

View Full Version : Unable to see GM PIDs

Babydeuce
May 22nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hello folks, obviously I am a newbee and could use a bit of help. My EFILIve V1 is not here yet, but in transit. In the mean time, I downloaded the most recent version of the software, and while trying to run through the custom dashboard tutorial, I realized that I am not seeing any GM PIDs, only calc and SAE. I did load my VIN and related info, still no dice. Drop down menu shows "all" PIDS, so I am just a tad lost. Anyone care to give me a quick insight? At this point, I am assuming that I must hookup and actually scan the PCM to determine the OS, then the PIDs will be available....sound correct?

Jack

joecar
May 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
BD, welcome... :cheers:

Also have to enter your OS ID (if you know it).

Ptherwise, yes, you might have to connect and Validate Pids...

In the meantime open one of the sample logs, that should show a few GM pids.

Cheers
Joe

Babydeuce
May 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the advise. I suspected that I would have to either identify the OS, or actually hookup and connect. I guess I am getting a bit ahead of myself with not having my actual interface yet, but I am just so anxious to get started!

Jack

Babydeuce
May 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ok, I can see the GM PIDs now, and I have created a custom dashboard with supported PIDs, but most wont work. Knock Retard will not display, neither will injector duty cycle. This is a little more difficult than I first thought.

Jack

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Jack,

What PCM and what OS are you using...?

Joe

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Jack,

Did you enter VIN and OS...?
Did you validate pids after connecting...?

For injector duty cycle, select these pids:
- IBPW1
- IBPW2
- INJDC1
- INJDC2

On the PIDs tab, if you click on the Caption or Parameter column title, the scantool sorts on that column making pids easier to find... click again to sort in reverse order.

Babydeuce
May 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Jack,

Did you enter VIN and OS...?
Did you validate pids after connecting...?

For injector duty cycle, select these pids:
- IBPW1
- IBPW2
- INJDC1
- INJDC2

On the PIDs tab, if you click on the Caption or Parameter column title, the scantool sorts on that column making pids easier to find... click again to sort in reverse order.

Joe,

OS is 12208322, cant think of the PCM off the top of my head, but it is a stock 2001 GMC truck pcm. I did scan and log today, so the scan tool pulled the VIN automatically.

I did connect, and validate the PIDS. I show INJDC1/2 being not supported, and I did actually have them selected. Do I also have to have the Injector pulse width selected to make this work?

Knock retard will not work no matter what I use....

Jack

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Jack,

INJDC1/2 are calculated pids...
right clicking on each of them shows the other pids that are required;
yes, the injector pulse widths have to be selected.

I pm'd Tech Support about KR.

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Questions:
- what knock retard pids do you see on the pids tab...?
- sort by the Caption column (click on it's title), does the knock pid show up now...?
- when you select it, does it get a red X thru it...?

Babydeuce
May 25th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Questions:
- what knock retard pids do you see on the pids tab...?
- sort by the Caption column (click on it's title), does the knock pid show up now...?
- when you select it, does it get a red X thru it...?

Joe,

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

I show:

KNCKCNT
KNKRET
KNKRET_B (Vortec)
KR

KR shows supported, and when selected does not get "X'd" out

Jack

joecar
May 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Jack,

When you log KR what value does it show...?

Babydeuce
May 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM
The first time, it just sat at zero, so I tried the "vortec" PID, and it would be in the 800 range. I am going to try and play with it tomorrow and see what happens.

Jack

joecar
May 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Jack,

Are you hearing knock...?
Are you getting any DTC's...?

Babydeuce
May 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
There is no way that I would be able to hear it knock. I have the "Sewing Machine" for an engine, and loud exhaust.

I do currently have a P0300 that is showing up at idle only. I did some logging today, and the spark timing is all over the place. the KR sat at zero the whole logging session.

Jack

joecar
May 27th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Jack,

P0300 means "random misfire" -> the total misfire threshold count was exceeded... but the individual misfire threshold count for each cylinder was not exceeded.

Misfire events are different than knock events.

If your KR is always zero then either:

-> you're not getting any knock:
is this consistent with the AFR and timing...?
if you increase timing and/or lean the AFR then it would start knocking;
if you tap on the head with a wrench, does KR indicate non-zero.

-> your knock sensors are not working:
do you get any knock sensor DTC's (i.e. broken wiring)...?
do the knock sensor tables match the actual knock sensors...?
have the knock sensor tables been tweaked...?

To see where timing is coming from, log the pids whose names start with EST_ (electronic spark timing).

Joe

Babydeuce
May 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Jack,

P0300 means "random misfire" -> the total misfire threshold count was exceeded... but the individual misfire threshold count for each cylinder was not exceeded.

Misfire events are different than knock events.

If your KR is always zero then either:

-> you're not getting any knock:
is this consistent with the AFR and timing...?
if you increase timing and/or lean the AFR then it would start knocking;
if you tap on the head with a wrench, does KR indicate non-zero.

-> your knock sensors are not working:
do you get any knock sensor DTC's (i.e. broken wiring)...?
do the knock sensor tables match the actual knock sensors...?
have the knock sensor tables been tweaked...?

To see where timing is coming from, log the pids whose names start with EST_ (electronic spark timing).

Joe

Easy now Joe, you are talking way above my level :grin:

1. Misfire events are showing at idle with a count of 86 total over about 5 minutes

2. I am not getting any DTCs for the knock sensors, visual inspection of harness shows no issues, knock sensors were brand new when engine was installed.

3. As far as I know, knock sensor table was left "as-is", Justin a Blackbear did the initial tune to get me up and running, from what I have seen and read, he knows these 5.3's pretty well.

I have included a short driving log, you can see that KR stays at zero the whole log.

Jack

joecar
May 27th, 2008, 02:37 AM
The log looks good... the HO2Sx1 volatges and LTFT's indicate your not going lean, and timing is good... there is no reason for it to knock... I would trust the knock sensors; Justin did good...:cheers:

If you had a wiring problem (e.g. a break in the wire, or misconnected, the you would see a DTC), so you should be fine.

For the misires, check: plugs and wires, airleaks, PCV sucking oil.

Babydeuce
May 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
The log looks good... the HO2Sx1 volatges and LTFT's indicate your not going lean, and timing is good... there is no reason for it to knock... I would trust the knock sensors; Justin did good...:cheers:

If you had a wiring problem (e.g. a break in the wire, or misconnected, the you would see a DTC), so you should be fine.

For the misires, check: plugs and wires, airleaks, PCV sucking oil.

Well, I feel better now! Justin does good work!

I have brand new plugs in, gapped at .045, wires are new, and are seated on both ends. PCV looks clean, so maybe I have a leak...guess I will have to go out and take a look.

Thanks for all the help Joe!

Jack

joecar
May 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Oh, have you done a crank angle sensor error (CASE) relearn from the scantool...?

Babydeuce
May 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Joe,

I did not do the relearn, as Justin used my existing crank angle data. This computer is the original to the engine combo.

Jack

joecar
May 28th, 2008, 01:19 AM
So none of the rotating mass has changed... (including clutch or torque converter).

That should be ok then.

What plugs are you using...?

A couple of weeks ago I read a GM sevice bulletin saying that GM replacement plugs now come like this:
- gap is 0.040" instead of 0.060";
- iridium instead of platinum;

I have seen smaller gaps reduce the misfire counts.

Ignition System - New Spark Plugs/Gapping

Bulletin No.: 03-06-04-060A

Date: February 12, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject: Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping

Models:
2004 Buick Rainier
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer
1999-2004 GMC Sierra
2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali
2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL
1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
2004 Pontiac GTO
2003-2004 HUMMER H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, L56, LQ9, LQ4)

Attention: Please disregard the Set Gap Per Vehicle Specification statement on the side of an ACDelco(R) Iridium Spark Plug Box. The statement will be removed from the boxes in the future.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to bring attention to the Set Gap Per Vehicle Specification on the ACDelco(R) Iridium Spark Plug Boxes. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-060 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed.

The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01 mm (0.040 in) when the spark plug is made.

The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found to not be properly gapped should not be used.

<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- var HIGHNONE = ''; var LOWNONE = ''; // --> </script>

joecar
May 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Can you log MFTOTAL and post the log(s).

Babydeuce
May 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joe,

I started with the .060 when I first fired her up, and ended up coming down to the .045 that I am at now.

I am away from the house on business until Saturday, when I return, I will run the log for you.

Jack