PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I log spark knock on 05 E40 VETTES????

Chuck CoW
May 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Why can't I log spark knock on 05 E40 VETTES????

Hey Guys..... I'm having a problem.... When using o/s #12613186 which is found in some 05 E40 vettes, I can not log Knock Retard. It just dosen't work and usually fills the screen with stupid numbers that are like in the teens and twenties.....

I've been having this problem for over a year now......

No matter what pids I select or what I chose to use as KR data, NOTHING WORKS....

The only solution I have found is to use o/s #02598983. All I do is change the o/s and it works perfectly just like all other ls1/ls2 pids normally do even using the exact same pid and map sets.

While this gets me by, it has caused me some problems and I'd just prefer to be able to log KR no matter what o/s I use......

Is anyone else having the same problem?????

Chuck CoW

joecar
May 24th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Chuck, I pm'd Tech Support to see if they're aware of this.

GMPX
May 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Can you please log all the KR PID's that show valid and send us the log file. GM.KNKRET is the one that should be valid on the E40

Cheers,
Ross

Redline Motorsports
May 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Chuck,

Didn't we go through this same issue a few months ago??

Howard

Chuck CoW
May 27th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Chuck,

Didn't we go through this same issue a few months ago??

Howard

Yes EXACTLY the same problem....:doh2:

For every car since then, I've had to upgrade to the (er- downgrade) to the earlier o/s......

Then it works like a charm....but, id like to be able to use the newer one....

Chuck

98 tigershark
June 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Chuck, The 05's Have some H/Balancer issues that can cause noise. Personally I think it could be the crank. but only that OS picks this up. Check the balancer and let me know. I have a friend and this was his problem. New Balancer no problem. Hope this helped.
98 tigershark

Chuck CoW
June 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Chuck, The 05's Have some H/Balancer issues that can cause noise. Personally I think it could be the crank. but only that OS picks this up. Check the balancer and let me know. I have a friend and this was his problem. New Balancer no problem. Hope this helped.
98 tigershark

WTF???? REALLY? I have found that EVERY time I use the NEWER os it happens and when I go backwards to the old one....it dosen't.....

One could be more sensitive I guess.....But I'm not thinking that EVERY 05 (many) that I've done with the 1 os have loose ballancers....

I'll check.

Chuck CoW

98 tigershark
June 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yes there were and are Balancer issues that affected knock on some 05 and 06 Vettes and cars. I was at the dealer and they had a black 05 vette that had the same problem and they replaced the balancer, My wifes car an 06 Monte Carlo SS also has the same exact issue and they are replacing the balancer next week because of weird spark knock. The customer service rep said that they are not seeing this as much lately. I find almost always it more likely that there are more parts that are problems than EFILive.
By the way I got my vette dialed in and at the drags on friday it ran an 10.61 @127mph and a 0-60' in 1.57 sec. It was only my third run and now I cant race any more and I am proudly banned, as it was to fast for Portland int raceway. Now it needs alot of expensive safety items, ie rollbar , fire system, ect..
Everytime I thought EFILive might have been wrong I was wrong. It was either the work or more often a bad part. On my vette GM used a different knock sensor half way through the year but the part numbers are the same. I think I jinxed my wifes car by mentioning this. I really like the guys at EFILive as they are very helpful and qualified but sometimes it is a part that has no dtc.
98 tigershark.

Chuck CoW
June 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yes there were and are Balancer issues that affected knock on some 05 and 06 Vettes and cars. I was at the dealer and they had a black 05 vette that had the same problem and they replaced the balancer, My wifes car an 06 Monte Carlo SS also has the same exact issue and they are replacing the balancer next week because of weird spark knock. The customer service rep said that they are not seeing this as much lately. I find almost always it more likely that there are more parts that are problems than EFILive.
By the way I got my vette dialed in and at the drags on friday it ran an 10.61 @127mph and a 0-60' in 1.57 sec. It was only my third run and now I cant race any more and I am proudly banned, as it was to fast for Portland int raceway. Now it needs alot of expensive safety items, ie rollbar , fire system, ect..
Everytime I thought EFILive might have been wrong I was wrong. It was either the work or more often a bad part. On my vette GM used a different knock sensor half way through the year but the part numbers are the same. I think I jinxed my wifes car by mentioning this. I really like the guys at EFILive as they are very helpful and qualified but sometimes it is a part that has no dtc.
98 tigershark.

No, I wasn't talking about not seeing knock or anything.....EFI LIVE can not log knock retard with 1 of the 2 2005 C6 corvette os's....It just reads garbage and I can't tune with it.....

Chuck CoW

Biggsy
June 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
No, I wasn't talking about not seeing knock or anything.....EFI LIVE can not log knock retard with 1 of the 2 2005 C6 corvette os's....It just reads garbage and I can't tune with it.....

Chuck CoW

Log the "garbage" and send the log to Ross (GMPX) , he will fix it for you.

98 tigershark
June 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Chuck,
Maybe I should have explained. GM could have had 2 different frequencies for the Knock sensors for the two different OS's so I was told by GM, one of the OS might have a sensor frequency that doesnt show the balancer noise but true knock. GM has updated their tunes several times over a year or two on alot of models. The one that might need a new balancer the sensor frequency pics up garbage from the balancer and not knock, anyway its an easy check at the dealer.
I hope this works out for you as it sounds like you have a nice car.
Take care
98 tigershark

GMPX
June 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Chuck, the latest Beta I added in DMA knock PID's for the E40, if they still report wrong then I give up!

Cheers,
Ross

Chuck CoW
August 27th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Chuck, the latest Beta I added in DMA knock PID's for the E40, if they still report wrong then I give up!

Cheers,
Ross

Well, still no luck.....I'll play with it more tomorrow.....

Chuck CoW

GMPX
August 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
You mean they still log rubbish?

Chuck CoW
August 28th, 2008, 12:47 AM
You mean they still log rubbish?

Yeah....still going!

Chuck CoW

Chuck CoW
October 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Ok guys.... Here's the deal......

When using some E40 Corvette os's...But not all.... You need to be careful when modifying KRRR. Knock Retard Recovery Rate.

In just about all operating systems, across most platforms, I typically increase KRRR by a fixed amount and I have determined that this benefits me with regard to how I manipulate the various spark/knock tables.

Well......3 years later...and TONS of frustration later.....I've identified the problem.

I was installing a cam/head package in an 05 E40 vette and fired the car up and read out the existing tune (which was an OLD HPT tune of mine from back in 05)...On the initial startup, I took note that there was no KR and the entire table was all zeros.

Later that day, I upgraded the tune to the Latest EFI LIVE specs...and when I fired it up, there was tons of garbage in the KR table ranging from 2-40 degrees KR....AND IT WASN'T PINGING.:doh2:

After changing back every spark parameter one by one, it turned out that the KRRR parameter was causing the problem....

I left KRRR stock and put the entire rest of the new file back in and the car ran flawlessly with NO FAKE KR.

Again, for some reason, the same mod makes no difference in other E40 cars I've tuned...but, in one or two of the os's....Nothing but garbage and headaches.....

Just thought you'd like to know......How I suffered.:confused:

Chuck CoW

ssvolvo
October 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM
In just about all operating systems, across most platforms, I typically increase KRRR by a fixed amount and I have determined that this benefits me with regard to how I manipulate the various spark/knock tables.

Chuck, Could you elaborate on your changing of B1906 Knock recovery Rate and how it helps your tune? If this is a trade secret :cucumber: I'll understand.

Thanks, John

Chuck CoW
October 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM

Chuck, Could you elaborate on your changing of B1906 Knock recovery Rate and how it helps your tune? If this is a trade secret :cucumber: I'll understand.

Thanks, John

Hey John....The way I see it, the pcm removes timing too aggressively after a knock event and dosen't return the timing to normal as quick as I would like....

It's my belief that increasing that value "steps" the timing back up to commanded timing much quicker.....

or in other words....."RECOVERS" quicker after a KR event.....

Unless someone knows differently...:angel_innocent:

I use it in every tune I write.....except for 2 E40 corvette os's which it dosen't work with.....

Now I have to wonder if the parameter even does what I thought it did.:confused:

Chuck CoW