PDA

View Full Version : EFILive programmers' API

Blacky
August 14th, 2005, 11:48 PM
To facilitate third party add-on tools for EFILive, we are in the process of re-documenting the EFILive programmers' API.

The EFILive API documentation is available here:
http://www.efilive.com/doc/EFILive%20API%20Reference.pdf
(right click and select "Save link as ...")

One important add-on for EFILive is a program to merge multiple EFILive *.log files into one large log file for processing.

The API document is only about 5% complete, and many of the functions that will be needed to complete a merge program have not been fully documented yet. But interested programmers can start investigating the process of using the EFILive API with their development language of choice.

If you have any questions about the API, please post them in this thread.

Regards
Paul

BowlingSS
August 15th, 2005, 03:51 AM
One important add-on for EFILive is a program to merge multiple EFILive *.log files into one large log file for processing.

That is one feature I would love to have.

Bill
:D

Black LS1 T/A
September 21st, 2005, 02:10 AM
Can anyone lay out what uses they foresee for the API?

In the case of the log file, you actually mean you prefer one huge log file vs. separate log files? (Sorry if I'm being dense here.)

Regardless, it would be fun to play around with the API and see what she'll do...

Thanks!

ToplessTexan
September 21st, 2005, 02:41 AM
In the case of the log file, you actually mean you prefer one huge log file vs. separate log files? (Sorry if I'm being dense here.)

Think database. Personally I'd rather import logged data into a real database as I already have a bunch of data analysis tools I like to use, but I think the objective a self contained and integrated data collection, analysis, and tuning suite.

Black LS1 T/A
September 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM

Think database. Personally I'd rather import logged data into a real database as I already have a bunch of data analysis tools I like to use, but I think the objective a self contained and integrated data collection, analysis, and tuning suite.

:idea: OK... not a flat-file, but a relational-style database! That WOULD 8) be cool.

Logged runs in tables, various dated runs (even times) can be compared, various mod's and parameters diff'd.

I could get with that. :D

I've already done work for myself where I took an exported file after each run, just browsed to the EFILive Log and double-clicked it and my application created an excel workbook, generated color-coded customized columns, performed calcs (many of which EFILive now does, itself), marked areas of WOT, etc, etc.

I could easily take multiple files and parse the data to tables in, say, MS Access, where the user could create their own custom queries as well.

How would you want to approach the variation in data everyone would want to log? Allow certain popular parameters? Allow all? (Big database).

What about when they decide some other parameter is now important to them? Things to think about...

Blacky
September 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
I'll try and get some reasonable documentation for the API soon as V7.3 is on CD and "out the door".

Paul

Black LS1 T/A
September 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
The Tuning community could come up with several sets of "targeted" parameters to use...

PIDs for cruise tuning
PIDs for tuning WOT
PIDs for the track
PIDs for MAFLess tuning
PIDS for the Dyno
etc, etc...

You get the point. ;)

We could build these custom tuning configurations into the database. We could even develop a front-end to help with plots and data layout/presentation.

I'm willing to work on it. :)

Black LS1 T/A
October 2nd, 2005, 05:23 AM
What PID's would you say should have near-identical values for a valid comparison of Long Term Fuel Trims?

Might you want to compare STFT's and LTFT's between two logs where the car is in the same gear and approximately the same TPA/Load? (I haven't evaluated this... I'm just using arbitrary PID's as an example to ask this question). So, you who have an idea or have tried to judge such things by log comparison, what parameter/s would you use to compare LTFT's between two logs?

What other items might you want to compare between two logs, and what parameters would you consider needed approximate equivalency to make the rows worth comparing?

Thanks!

vph
April 24th, 2012, 03:49 AM

If you have any questions about the API, please post them in this thread.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,
is this API still available?
Thanks,

Blacky
April 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hi Paul,
is this API still available?
Thanks,

No, sorry. It turned out to be too difficult to provide a public facing API for V7.
However, what we learned while attempting to provide one has been incorporated into the V8 scan tool.

The V8 scan tool will have a 100% open/documented file format that will allow third party developers to access the logged data easily.
It will be identical in format to the serial protocol that is output by FlashScan as described in the doc:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Documents->EFILive FlashScan Serial Protocol
Only instead of describing the serial output format, think of it as describing the log file format that the V8 Scan Tool will use.

Regards
Paul