PDA

View Full Version : PCM Locked by a HP-Tuner

Spindoctor
May 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Howdie All! :wave:

I have a new customer vehicle on my dyno for tunning. It is a 2001 Camaro
5.7 Gen III with a charge cooled Vortech and a plethora of other toys.

My first issue to overcome is that the previous tuner used the HP Tuners
system and then LOCKED it. After contacting the previous tuner (a rival local) we were informed that they would not unlock it for us.
The car only runs o.k. when at WOT. Very rich anywhere else (your basic quarter miler tune). The transmission will not shift before red line and when it does it is soft. This is a daily driven (or it is supposed to be) and must pass OBDII emissions. I should be able to do that for him.

1) Can I send this PCM in somewhere and have it unlocked?
2) Can I get a good base map (once I provide more info) to move this
along?

Thanks in advance- Tim H

Hey! It's beer thirty on a Friday - what are you doin' reading this?:cheers:

TFZ_Z06
May 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Maybe expensive, but ELIMINATE the stock PCM and replace with a RoadRunner, then flash it with the correct file and vin.

Ask "Blacky" on this site. He is the authority I would think.

5.7ute
May 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You would probably be better off getting the original tuner to flash it back to stock & leave it unlocked. If he wont do that for you he is a lowlife.
If he used a custom HPT OS to tune it you wouldnt be able to read it locked or unlocked anyway.

Blacky
May 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
You would probably be better off getting the original tuner to flash it back to stock & leave it unlocked. If he wont do that for you he is a lowlife.
If he used a custom HPT OS to tune it you wouldnt be able to read it locked or unlocked anyway.

That is exactly what you should try first.

Failing that you can return the PCM to EFILive* and we can unlock it and return it to stock. You can then tune it the way you want.

Either return it to Ross at EFILive in Australia (if you are not in the US) or to Jesse at Wait4Me Performance in Indiana (if you are in the US).
There is usually a $50 charge to unlock the PCM and reset it to stock.
Note: It can take up to 4 days to unlock.

Regards
Paul

oztracktuning
May 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I think HPT is setup to lock by default whenever the car has a custom os of their in it. I saw a LS1 that was 'locked' without hpt saying to lock and the only way to access was reflash with HPT a stock tune and then it was unlocked.

TFZ_Z06
May 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think HPT is setup to lock by default whenever the car has a custom os of their in it. I saw a LS1 that was 'locked' without hpt saying to lock and the only way to access was reflash with HPT a stock tune and then it was unlocked.

When I used HP Tuners, I tried their custom OS. To get to EFI Live, I reflashed with my tune but in a standard HP Tuner file. This file was not stock. Then, was able to read w/EFI Live. I had never locked the tune though.

405HP_Z06
May 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM

HPT doesn't lock by default unless you configure it that way. I have both HPT and EFILive and I'm currently running an HPT Real-time custom OS. I haven't had any issues scanning the PCM with EFILive but have not tried writing because I just assumed it wouldn't work.

Edit: I tried to read the HPT unlocked custom OS with EFILive and it gave me an error stating the OS is locked. I suspect its the difference's in bootloaders that cause this issue.

405HP_Z06
May 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Howdie All! :wave:

I have a new customer vehicle on my dyno for tunning. It is a 2001 Camaro
5.7 Gen III with a charge cooled Vortech and a plethora of other toys.

My first issue to overcome is that the previous tuner used the HP Tuners
system and then LOCKED it. After contacting the previous tuner (a rival local) we were informed that they would not unlock it for us.
The car only runs o.k. when at WOT. Very rich anywhere else (your basic quarter miler tune). The transmission will not shift before red line and when it does it is soft. This is a daily driven (or it is supposed to be) and must pass OBDII emissions. I should be able to do that for him.

1) Can I send this PCM in somewhere and have it unlocked?
2) Can I get a good base map (once I provide more info) to move this
along?

Thanks in advance- Tim H

Hey! It's beer thirty on a Friday - what are you doin' reading this?:cheers:

Your best bet is Jes (Wait4Me). I know he can fix this issue.

5.7ute
May 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
HPT doesn't lock by default unless you configure it that way. I have both HPT and EFILive and I'm currently running an HPT Real-time custom OS. I haven't had any issues scanning the PCM with EFILive but have not tried writing because I just assumed it wouldn't work.

Edit: I tried to read the HPT unlocked custom OS with EFILive and it gave me an error stating the OS is locked. I suspect its the difference's in bootloaders that cause this issue.

I think it was macca779 who tried to scan a custom OS from HPT a while ago who found a few issues. If memory serves me correctly the MAP readings are modified on their custom OS that will cause some strange readings when trying to scan with efilive. Hopefully he can elaborate a bit more on what he found.

odd boy
May 31st, 2008, 04:14 AM
One day I selected the wrong PCM which made the EFIlive to say it's locked, try this. Another solution, try to find some one who holds tech2, it is too easy to return it stock with tech2.

Spindoctor
May 31st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I can Scan the PCM and see all the PID's just fine.
When I go to TUNE I get Bootlegger Blocked.

The other shop will unlock the PCM after removing their tune.
So it will be a drive over and a tow back do to the mods.

I have never had to adjust trans settings to fix shifting. Any tips would
be appreciated.

Thanks again- Tim H

405HP_Z06
May 31st, 2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I can Scan the PCM and see all the PID's just fine.
When I go to TUNE I get Bootlegger Blocked.

The other shop will unlock the PCM after removing their tune.
So it will be a drive over and a tow back do to the mods.

I have never had to adjust trans settings to fix shifting. Any tips would
be appreciated.

Thanks again- Tim H

Same here, I can scan all day just can't read or write.

For auto trans information, there is a long thread here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=1723
Joecar has some excellent recommendations that will get you going well in the right direction.

Spindoctor
June 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the info on Joecars trans tutorial. It looks like what I was looking for.

I called Wait4Me about getting the PCM unlocked- The hassle of working with the other tuner to get it unlocked was aggravating (they wanted it for 2 days- so that was two trips for two techs back and forth):wallbash: -anyways-
Hannah from Wait4Me informed me that they could unlock my PCM for $50 OR send me a PCM with the OE tune two days shipping for $85.00:wavetowel2: No exchange necessary.
So I recommend calling Hannah (don't bother asking for Jess- Hannah can handle it, very professional and nice to talk to) if you find the need for an unlock. My time is way more valuable then $85.

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/
547-267-3630
Hannahbubb@yahoo.com

One last question- This Camaro has the 9lb Vortech system with the air to water charge cooler and 38lb injectors.
Does anyone know of a good base map to start with. I did not see one on
Holdencrazy.

As always-

Perdieu
June 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
my 04 GTO had a custom HP os tune, when we went to retune it with EFIlive we couldn't read it but we COULD overwrite it with the new EFILive tune..

macca_779
June 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I think it was macca779 who tried to scan a custom OS from HPT a while ago who found a few issues. If memory serves me correctly the MAP readings are modified on their custom OS that will cause some strange readings when trying to scan with efilive. Hopefully he can elaborate a bit more on what he found.
Yeah mate it was me. Here is the scan file from that particular car. It's a Powerdyne Blown VX SS M6 so only about 7psi. Had me scratching my head when logging thats for sure.