PDA

View Full Version : Look at my tune: surging/smoking idle

NASABlue
June 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
At first my 97 idles nicely before it warms up, then it will surge and start to smoke real bad interrupted by smooth running untill it surges more wildly again and repeats until the surge causes it to stall out.

the one other thing that seems pronounced is a fair amount of blueish smoke during the surging.

It also wants to die out when I press in the clutch when coming to a stop.

Hopefully I've attached my tune and I tried to add my mods in my sig for my 97 mn6

TFZ_Z06
June 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
At first my 97 idles nicely before it warms up, then it will surge and start to smoke real bad interrupted by smooth running untill it surges more wildly again and repeats until the surge causes it to stall out.

the one other thing that seems pronounced is a fair amount of blueish smoke during the surging.

It also wants to die out when I press in the clutch when coming to a stop.

Hopefully I've attached my tune and I tried to add my mods in my sig for my 97 mn6

I see you added injectors. Post your datalog that includes STFT and a WOT pull with at least 1- o2 sensor's reading or wideband value. EITHER will do.
Until you have the injectors dialed, you can not proceed to tuning.

Several problems I see I know are wrong:

-Desired Air Flow idle is too low. Use the actual MAF flow at given temp and cross check w/RAFIGs.
-VE table is probably scaled too high for your combo and needs smoothing.
Put the stock one back in.
-I didn't calc the inj fow rate, but that varies by injector. Use fuel trim and top end fuel mix to get a raw set point.

405HP_Z06
June 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
The IFR table doesn't look correct. Do you have the blue stripe Lucas here: http://www.racetronix.com/621031FM.html

If so, these flow 43.77 lb/hr (+/- 4%) with petrol. {B4001} is set too low if this is the correct flow rate.

Do you know your fuel pressure at the rail at idle?

Agree with TFZ_Z06, both VE tables are too high and not smooth.

{B4105} O2 Switch points have different values for each bank. These should be the same value for both banks.

{B5913} and {B5932} I would reduce timing in the idle areas to 22 degree's and make a smooth transition into the rest of the table's.

joecar
June 2nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
Blue smoke from exhaust = combustion of oil

This might be incidental to the surge... or it might be causing the surge.

NASABlue
June 2nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Thank you all for the initial comments

I have some logging to do

also joecar,

I was wondering about this. I have had a dickens of a time getting the .040 cometic head gaskets to seal on the passenger side. they kept leaking coolant. finally after the 5th retorque they stopped leaking. My thinking is just because there's an external leak in the head doesn't mean there isn't an internal.

I am going to check the coolant for oil as well as pull the plugs to see if I can find an obvious culprit of the blue smoke.

would you all agree I need to find out why it's smoking before I continue tuning?

NASABlue
June 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
I have the Racetronix fuel injectors, I think they are the Lucas/Delphi disc type

http://www.racetronix.com/621031.html