PDA

View Full Version : How to modify commanded A/F @ WOT?

LS1-450
June 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Here is my first logged A/F run. There are 3 pulls; the first just before 6 min, the second shortly after, & a partial just before 13min. Commanded A/F is 12.5:1. What is changed to command 12.9:1 during WOT? Would also like to idle @ 850 RPM, of which is noted in the idle table. What is causing the car to idle higher? How does the LIFT MAP look? Thanks in advance.

Am working on the knock retard.

ChipsByAl
June 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
What is changed to command 12.9:1 during WOT?
I do not see the change to command 12.9 AFR. The only file that I have seen posted of yours is one from April 16th. Does the new file have changes in the PE vs RPM table? When you are at WOT 4k and below is set at 12.39 and above is 12.5 AFR. That is shown in the log. I would be more concerned about the adding of fuel from the LTFT's.
Al
PS. Can you post a current tun file.

LS1-450
June 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to change to command 12.9 AFR. The log file posted is as you have described. Would like to know how to get 12.9 commanded. OK, the LTFT's are a mystery to me, as I don't know how to interpret them. Here is the tune file as it was during those 3 runs. Please comment.

LS1_Dragster
June 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'll stab at this... You need to go to properties then change the "commanded fuel values" to display AFR then in table B3605 and B3618 etc. will show you AFR.

I've recently learned those tables dont mean squat until the VE tables are accurate.

ChipsByAl
June 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Since you now have a wide band connected, it is a good time to read up on the AutoVE tutorial. Once you get your VE tables under control you can move on to WOT. This will have your LTFT's close to or below zero.
The PE table {B3618} is part of the WOT mix. The value 1.13 (in EQ format) will command 12.94 AFR when table {B3617} is in a temperature zone with zero correction.
Your idle problem could be an IAC issue, vacuum leak (check the PCV hose at the throttle body), binding throttle body, minimum air rate adjustment or electronic problem. Scan your IAC and see if it goes to zero.
Al

LS1-450
June 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Thank-you, have just opened the auto VE tutorial & will start VE changes tomorrow.

TFZ_Z06
June 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Here is my first logged A/F run. There are 3 pulls; the first just before 6 min, the second shortly after, & a partial just before 13min. Commanded A/F is 12.5:1. What is changed to command 12.9:1 during WOT? Would also like to idle @ 850 RPM, of which is noted in the idle table. What is causing the car to idle higher? How does the LIFT MAP look? Thanks in advance.

Am working on the knock retard.

I filtered your log to > 99% TP and found 12.49:1 and 12.37:1 for just a second, at lower rpm. Your WOT, based on o2 sensors, looks real good for WOT. My stock Z06 ran those same voltage values, with a measured A/F of 12.7:1. Note, a few times, bank1 went lean below 890mv (my cutoff). Not sure thats cause for alarm yet.

The LTFT data indicates you are way too lean at idle, referenced by 25% adjustments. I'm guessing you have an airbox. Adjusting for this might help the idle when fixed. Enable your STFT and use them as an idle measuring tool. If you have changed injectors, adj until STFT are close to zero.
If airbox, you may need MAF adjustments, maybe VE. Don't know your car.

joecar
June 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
When I opened your tun file the Out of Range tab said this:

Out of Range calibration summary: 10:06:03 pm, Monday Jun 09, 2008

Transmission Calibration.Trans Pressures
{D0701} Base Pressure 1->2 Shift, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D0702} Base Pressure 2->3 Shift, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.
{D0703} Base Pressure 3->4 Shift, contained one or more out of range values when loaded.It may be a good idea to set those to some in-range values...

The tunetool displays an out-of-range value as the max or min, so those values appear to be in range but they are not...

do this:
- set them to some value (say 95 psi),
- save the file (you could call it done here, but if you want to continue...),
- exit the tunetool,
- open the tunetool,
- set those values to the max (which is what they appeared to be, 96 psi),
- save the file (now you're really done);

now they will be in range.

LS1-450
June 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
If airbox, you may need MAF adjustments, maybe VE. Don't know your car.

Thanks for the reply.

There is a cold air set up in the car. It's an 06 LS6 assembled block w/ after market heads, intake,...etc.. I didn't know enough to run an AutoVE in order to establish the VE table. Will look into the STFT @ idle, as soon as, the AutoVE MAP is completed.

How would a MAF adjustment help the idle; am curious? I thought that the MAF was only a measuring device & that making MAF table changes would alter its' calibration, no?

LS1-450
June 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
When I opened your tun file the Out of Range

Hi, joecar
The PCM is from a 98 Firebird w/ an automatic transmission. It's a donor PCM used to control the LS6/T56 set-up in the Miata. Is there a way to disable that part of the program?

ChipsByAl
June 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
In your application they don't really matter since you have a stick. It is annoying though. Joecar's suggestion will put the file in an acceptable condition for EFI_Live's recommendations. It will work better when loading the file in your PC.
Al

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
What about the VSS signal that the AutoVE PID asks for? Please tell me that it's not necessary for a manual transmission. My VSS routes through a pulse signal modified & then directly to the Miata speedo. There is currently no VSS signal to the PCM. It can be added, but, would rather not if it's not necessary.

Will do on the Joecar recommendation. Thanks

joecar
June 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hi, joecar
The PCM is from a 98 Firebird w/ an automatic transmission. It's a donor PCM used to control the LS6/T56 set-up in the Miata. Is there a way to disable that part of the program?
Find a 98 LS1 Manual tune file at www.holdencrazy.com and from it copy the transmission and transmission diagnostics segments.

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 03:31 AM
OK, I will.

Ran AutoVE log. Probably won't be as motivated to fill so many MAP boxes, in the future. Three times, the knock sensors pulled 8-15* degrees of timing because I was driving in order to fill MAP boxes. Guess I was a bit over zealous.

So, what should be done prior to transferring the MAP to the PCM tune file?

Edit: added AutoVE tune file

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm lost. Am showing -20 in all LTFT boxes & either 500 or 0 depending on the paste & multiply in the VE section.

joecar
June 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Don't worry about the cells that you never hit when driving...

Before you paste-multiply, make sure the map shows the average cell values, and then be sure to filter out throttle transients using one of the filters.

joecar
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 AM
If you're doing AutoVE, then the CL should be disabled... the LTFT's should be flat zero...

Retrace your steps thru the AutoVE tutorial for setting up the tun file.

TFZ_Z06
June 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the reply.

There is a cold air set up in the car. It's an 06 LS6 assembled block w/ after market heads, intake,...etc.. I didn't know enough to run an AutoVE in order to establish the VE table. Will look into the STFT @ idle, as soon as, the AutoVE MAP is completed.

How would a MAF adjustment help the idle; am curious? I thought that the MAF was only a measuring device & that making MAF table changes would alter its' calibration, no?

Once you complete your VE, you should be able to go in and clean up things.
Don't forget about barometric pressure. From one day to the next, the VE can change. LTFT can clean that up.

Regarding the MAF:

Before I modified my car, I datalogged it for reference. I found adding the airbox to a stock setup resulted in LTFTs like yours. The new airbox changes the way the air is measured by the MAF and thus may cause the MAF to report LESS airflow when in fact the airflow has not changed at all.
Your VE calibration will not fix this.

Diagnostics:

1. When datalogged at idle, you will show LESS airflow w/new airbox than stock. But, the airflow is the same. This = lean condition. A lean condition can cause a higher floating idle. This affect will happen proportionally across the frequency range for the maf from IDLE to WOT. I know this can cause a surging idle, but a constantly sustained higher rpm idle would take quite a lean condition.

2. Long term fuel trims will max out like yours have.

Correction:

Since we know the new airbox throws off the calibration, increase the MAF curve by a factor of whatever the STFTs are off. If STFT are 10%, increase the MAF by 10%, then datalog. STFT as close to zero as possible.

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
OK, let's try this again. This time, managed not to knock the hell out of my engine while filling MAP cells. The scan log & tune file both worked as described in the tutorial. Looks as though an AutoVE log can be done a few times, yes? Also, appears that the higher MAP/RPM cells are gonna want to grow......I hear engine knock in my future..J/K.

Plan to do another AutoVE & then add the manual transmission data & look into the TFZ Z06 MAF calibration. Thanks all & please comment.

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Made another run & averaged the un-logged cells based on logged information. Amazing how far off the VE tables were & there's a few SDAutoVE runs to go. Off to tackle the idle & WOT commanded fuel.

Thank-you all. :thankyou2:

TFZ_Z06
June 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Made another run & averaged the un-logged cells based on logged information. Amazing how far off the VE tables were & there's a few SDAutoVE runs to go. Off to tackle the idle & WOT commanded fuel.

Thank-you all. :thankyou2:

I look forward to tuning mine the "right" way too as soon as my wideband comes in on wed or thu. Lucky for me, RTACS/RoadRunner will be doing most of the work.

Whats up w/the wideband reading 14.4 and 14.3 vs 14.63 that you have commanded? Let us know how the tune comes out.

LS1-450
June 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Whats up w/the wideband reading 14.4 and 14.3 vs 14.63 that you have commanded? Let us know how the tune comes out.

It's on my list. It shows up on the newest log that's not posted, as well. We will see. May be the topic of my next thread. Am happy to have a better understaning of the software; still newbish, but, better.