PDA

View Full Version : RR 'Guts KIt' installation???

hquick
June 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
No instructions so I'm assuming (we all know what that word means :hihi: ) it's pretty straightforward????
Anyone installed one before?

limited cv8r
June 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
RoadRunner LS1 Realtime Emulation PCM - $599.00
Roadrunner-DIY: "Guts" Kit $489.00
For $110 is it really worth the effort? For the extra $110 you get a complete and tested RR with backup and warranty.

hquick
June 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM
It's all done and I can connect to the RR.
The issue I have now is the message telling me it's not licenced to EFILive???

limited cv8r
June 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
To use your RR with EFIlive you also need to buy a RR EFILive realtime license at $199. You also need to enter the RR's serial number into you scan tool in the registration box as shown in the attached pics.

hquick
June 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Yep...bought the licence and have all the info installed
Says set to demo.

limited cv8r
June 9th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Have you installed it into a new license tab by itself, or did you modify your existing license tab and add the RR serial number and new license key?

hquick
June 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
installed it into the #1 position

limited cv8r
June 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM
try this
http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/livestart.htm

hquick
June 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Don't know what I did....but it's now working. :cheers:

turboberserker
June 10th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Did you have a hammer close to the PCM? Like within 2m? That works well for me most of the time :)

hquick
June 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Well....
At 2am I got it to work.
Flashed and read it a couple of times and no problem.
Plugged it into the truck this morning....no go. Laptop wouldn't recognise the USB device.
So...drove my wife's car to work and brought the PCM with me and plugged it into my laptop again.
Works!!!
We'll see what happens this afternoon when I get home.
I'm running XP and V7.5.4 so I should have the most upto date drivers :nixweiss:

5.7ute
June 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Have you registered the roadrunner on both computers Howard. Also make sure you have changed either to or from Virtual com port in the roadrunner settings. Cant remember off hand which way this is set(laptop is at home)

hquick
June 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yes Mick,
set it up the same on both PC's.
It was on my laptop I had it working at 2 this morning. When I put the PCM in the car....that's when I had issues.
Just says device not recognised.
Seems to be working OK on the bench at present.

5.7ute
June 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So basically it wont work when powered from the vehicle, but works fine when run on the USB power? Strange.

mr.prick
June 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
try uninstalling the driver with the ftclean utility in the
Program Files>EFILive>V7.5>Drivers folder.
then re-install the driver for the RR, restart PC,
then re-install the driver for your V2/V1, re-start PC.
this should give you a clean install of the drivers.

hquick
June 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Well...
I did as you suggested.
It worked...I was able to connect but it keeps dropping out and reverting to the "USB device not recognised" message.
I did manage to keep it running long enough to log and test it and it worked.
As soon as I disconnected the USB cable to install it correctly....again as above...not recognised.
It's like the driver keeps disappearing?

hquick
June 10th, 2008, 11:11 PM
It Lives!!!!!
Thanks to Jez for steering me in the direction of the RR install tutorial.
I didn't have the ports or latency set up correctly.
Tomorrow's drive to work will be the real tell tale......but I'm confident.
Thanks all for the suggestions. :thumb_yello:

hquick
June 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Ran the RR on the way into work today. Fully operational. :rockon:

97K15004WD
June 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Great job Howard!

hquick
June 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hmmm...still have issues.
Drove interstate (just got back) and if I leave the RR running for more than about 5 min's...it drops out/closes.
I then have to re-open it and restart the RR???
Sometimes the virtual com port disappears and I get the message "no Road Runner device detected".

limited cv8r
June 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM
check your soldering, doesnt take much too mess it up

JezzaB
June 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I reckon its a driver issue (COM port allocation etc). If the soldering was bad the truck would stall. You can connect to the RR daughter board without it plugged into the header (replacing the Intel 28F400 chip) so it must be between the software and the RR board.

My 2c

Jez

5.7ute
June 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I had a similar issue when using a mates laptop that wasnt evident when using mine. All I could put it down to was my mates laptop had wireless broadband while mine doesnt. Whenever the wireless signal was lost due to hills etc if in emulation mode the car would start misbehaving & I would have to reconnect to the RR to get going again. I cant remember for sure but I reckon I had to restart the computer to get it to recognise the RR when this happened.

hquick
June 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I just did as limited suggested.
Re-soldered the terminals/pins.
Now I can connect no problem...but haven't run the car yet because it won't start.
When I connect the scanner and attempt to connect to the PCM it says autocal only and doesn't recognise what PCM is there. My fuel pump is not priming either?????

hquick
June 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Basically....now it's like there's no PCM in the car????

hquick
June 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Fixed....again...Lol!
I had broken one of the little pads the header solders onto.
I knew about it the other day but thought I'd bridged the gap with solder.

hquick
June 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Lol! and back to my disappearing com port issues.
I really don't mind having to do all this work to get this happening because this is how we learn things.
What I am 'disappointed' in is there were no instructions whatsoever with this 'guts kit'.
And...it's not like it's a 50% saving....it's still $500!
Honestly, I would have bought a complete unit except I was under the impression Craig was having trouble getting LS1 PCM's.
Live and learn I guess.

JezzaB
June 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Your doing great Howard. You did the hardest bit of the install and got it all working but had a software problem. Solving the software problem and resoldering you caused a hardware problem and undid all of your good work.

Atleast your back on track now.

I had similar issues with mine and took me quite a while to get the RR working and connecting etc. Keep at it!

Bluetooth I gave up on but maybe I will have another go at it.

Perhaps a nice clean install of windows is in order and start from scratch. Wipe all of those drivers etc out?

Jez

hquick
June 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Don't really want to format this PC Jez....I have a spare 'old' laptop. I might try it on that just to see if that eliminates the issue.
Almost seems as if...as I stab the throttle...it seems to have a hard time changing cells quickly and trips out. Perhaps some sort of timing/delay issue with the software???
It worked for half the trip to work this morning.

MICK
June 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Howard, are you running Vista on the laptop?

hquick
June 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
XP Mick.

hquick
June 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ran the RR on AutoVE all the way into work this morning with no glitches.
Fingers crossed!!!!

hquick
June 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Damn it!!!!
Still dropping out at times.

hquick
June 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
After getting in touch with Craig Moates, he believes my issue is something to do with the EFILive drivers.
Is there some way I can check this?

Blacky
June 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Have you tested the native drivers option yet?
Regards
Paul

hquick
June 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Tried that a few minutes ago Paul....won't connect at all using the native USB.

hquick
June 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Got the RR to connect via the native USB but still does the same thing. I did notice that when it dropped out using the virtual com port if I clicked on the 'OK' to close the warning box the computer would freeze until I pull the plug on the RR.
With the Native USB it doesn't do that.
The warning box closes. Then I have to pull the RR USB plug and then I can reconnect.

Blacky
June 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
If it is doing the same/similar thing with the virtual com port drivers and the native USB drivers, then I don't think it is the drivers.

Try this: completely unplug the PCM from the vehicle, then connect the laptop via usb to the PCM. Don't have FlashScan connected to the PC or the vehicle.

Can you successfully use the roadrunner in that configuration? i.e. with the PC powering the PCM via the USB connection.

Regards
Paul

hquick
June 19th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it will work in that configuration Paul.
It only seems to drop out when I start it updating.
So...I can sit there with it connected with no problem.
Once I start it updating....it either drops out straight away or after a few minutes.
One time it lasted approx 20-30mins whilst updating.
I'll try what you suggested and report back just to confirm.

MICK
June 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Howard,

Back off on your update frequency, set it up to 10 or so and try it again.

You need a pretty hot processor to run fast updates from memory.

Post up some screen shots of your com port set up, please....:)

Cheers

Mick

tazinhawaii
June 20th, 2008, 01:39 AM
This exact same thing is happening to me (with the full roadrunner vice the guts only). I found that reducing the number of parameters I was logging seemed to fix the problem. I was logging 23 channels of data and it wouldn't work. Got it down around 14 and it's working. I also changed the update frequency before doing this and it didn't help. This is with my 966MHz laptop.

Derrick

hquick
June 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info Derrick.
I'll try that. I already did....but maybe I still had too many PID's logging.

mr.prick
June 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
If it is doing the same/similar thing with the virtual com port drivers and the native USB drivers, then I don't think it is the drivers.

Try this: completely unplug the PCM from the vehicle, then connect the laptop via usb to the PCM. Don't have FlashScan connected to the PC or the vehicle.

Can you successfully use the roadrunner in that configuration? i.e. with the PC powering the PCM via the USB connection.

Regards
Paul

after this last update (7.5.4) i have had some trouble
connecting with the ignition off.
i never had a problem connecting to the RR like that before.

hquick
June 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hmm...tried dropping a few PID's off as per Derrick's suggestion..
I think I'm down to about 8 or 9 channels.
It ran fine on approx 10min trip.
I'll need to try it on a longer drive this arvo. But..it seems to be working.

JezzaB
June 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
after this last update (7.5.4) i have had some trouble
connecting with the ignition off.
i never had a problem connecting to the RR like that before.

Im running v7.5.4 and I dont have any problems reading or writing to the RR out of the car?

hquick
June 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM
What's the general consensus on the number of PID's people are logging whilst using the RR?

mr.prick
June 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
anything more than 24 channels and data transfer will slow down.

hquick
June 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM
anything more than 24 channels and data transfer will slow down.

I realise that....but I'm sure I've logged more channels whilst RR'ing before when Mick loaned me his RR. Like I said....I'm down to around 9

hquick
June 20th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Still no good.
I'm just about over this whole RR experience!

mr.prick
June 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
have you added EFILIve to your firewall?
it might help.

JezzaB
June 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
have you added EFILIve to your firewall?
it might help.

The Virtual COM port wont even connect if its not auth'd.

Then again the RR is pretty close to Howards firewall last time i saw it :hihi:

hquick
June 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Well...just for something different I tried loading 7.3....keeps telling me the RR isn't licenced even though I put the same details in it as per 7.5.
I ran 7.5 again and tried playing with my A0014 as I was just sitting idling. Sometimes I could change the figures in the table OK. Other times as soon as I hit enter..it dropped out.

hquick
June 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
This is the EXACT same issue!

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=6547

Doc
June 25th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Howard et al,

I've experienced similar problems with my shop's 3 RR's at various times under different operating configurations/situations.

This is a miscommunication for one or, more than one reason(s).

I know this can be as annoying as a poor cell phone service provider dropping important calls at the wrong time.

Some of the more popular reasons have already been said...

1) Driver installation
2) RR Software settings

Some of the more creepy, "What the hell?" reasons I have found...

1) RR main input cable (RR side) wires strained, making poor intermittant contact.

2) Spark plug wires breaking down causing all kinds of EMI.

3) Too many applications (WINDOWS) running for your PC to keep up.

Solutions for the shite...

1) Carefully remove the backshell of the RR side cable connector inspect the soldering on the wires to the pins for weak, broken connections.

2) Wait till nightfall, throw open the hood, look for the light show. Crack open a cold one, order some new wires tommorrow.

3) Review all processes running when the RR crash occurs. For example, Power mad hungry NORTON Anti-Virus and it's associated pushy products seem to hog up lot's of memory.

Your'e almost there Howard, don't give up now! I am really impressed that you tackled the RR upgrade / installation yourself. I have the skills to do the work -just not enough time! Stick with it and all of your hard work will really pay off in the end by what you will have learned about the GM hardware/software and, more importantly about yourself.

hquick
June 25th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Doc,
I reckon I could pull the RR apart and put it back together in my sleep by now. Lol!
I haven't checked the USB shell....but will do this arvo. I should know better than to assume 'brand new so must be OK'.
I've also inspected my soldering with a jewellers eyeglass a number of times and it looks fine to me. The fact that it works sometimes and not others says to me that my soldering/installation is fine.
I have new MSD leads on the truck...but seem to be getting alot of radio static...so not sure if that's the leads or something else.
I might setup a USB bullet camera under the bonnet and see if I can spot any lightning.
Thanks for the tips.

hquick
June 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Doc,
Did you ever work out why the 4th filter parameter disappears each time you open the RR?
Mine does the same thing.
On another note….I worked out why I had the static coming over the stereo. Popped the bonnet…started the Burb, wound the windows down and cranked the stereo up. Started moving some wiring around and noticed that when I played with the wiring near the inner guard…the static noise would vary. Then I noticed….the antenna had become unplugged. Must have done that by accident when I was working on the filter box/intake :doh2:

mr.prick
June 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM
i had the 3rd filter parameter keep disappearing on me
it stopped after i set it a couple of times and restarted the PC.

hquick
June 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
That's interesting.
My 4th is never there when I open the filters after starting the laptop. I always have to re-select it.

hquick
July 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well....finally the RR seems to be working properly...I think.
I plugged the RR USB cable into a USB extension cable which has a tighter connection at the laptop end. 4 trips and no dropouts....yet!

joecar
July 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Howard... your avatar is very funny... but sadly true.

;)

hquick
July 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
At almost $8 a gallon here...it is VERY true Joe. :shock:

mr.prick
July 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
At almost $8 a gallon here...it is VERY true Joe. :shock:

OMG! http://smiliesftw.com/x/bigeek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

hquick
July 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM
LOl!
Yeah....I just put $215 into a tank which had 1/4 tank already in it.
Tuesday nights is 'fill up night'.
I'll get 2 weeks out of that.
Well....another 2 runs with the RR and no dropouts :banana:
Not at all impressed with Moates 'lack of' support. :bad:

N0DIH
October 1st, 2008, 02:12 AM
Howard, on the drop out issue, I have found mine has been when I edit a cell the PCM is trying to read at the same time, and it gets sorta crabby about it. Mine drops into OL-Drive and timing typically drops way back to around 10 degrees and gradually comes back. As long as I avoid an active cell, I don't see it and it is as smooth as glass.

Is that possibly what is going on?

hquick
October 1st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Don't know Tom.
It hasn't given me trouble since removing the ribbon cable and using the internal mini USB port.

N0DIH
October 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM
Can you edit a live cell? One the PCM is active in at the moment? I can't, as long as the PCM isn't reading it at the moment, it is fine, but if it is reading it (like timing or a timing table, fuel injector flow, etc)

I have a cable to fix, just have to finish it up, sent the detail to Craig for review.

hquick
October 1st, 2008, 05:29 AM
Pretty sure you can edit a live cell...well...that's what RTACS does right?
That's one of the dangers of RTACS. Accidentally type in the wrong number and hit 'enter'....may be the last thing you do. Lol!

N0DIH
October 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Just wish EFILive supported my PCM so I could use RTACS!

Pretty sure you can edit a live cell...well...that's what RTACS does right?
That's one of the dangers of RTACS. Accidentally type in the wrong number and hit 'enter'....may be the last thing you do. Lol!

hquick
October 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ah yes....I keep forgetting you're blazing a new trail out there Tom. Lol!

N0DIH
October 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
Yup, trying! But my PCM is lower on the totem pole than other PCM's.... :( So not sure when it will get added....

hog
October 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Yup, trying! But my PCM is lower on the totem pole than other PCM's.... :( So not sure when it will get added....
If ever. I assume you are talking about the 96-97 blackbox PCM.

peace
Hog

N0DIH
October 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Not yet, but if I get it, will have one tomorrow.... maybe today....

Welcome, here I figured you were already on here all along!

hquick
October 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think it's safe to assume that the 96-97 PCM's will NEVER be supported.
Tom...why don't you swap to an 0411 LS1 PCM?

N0DIH
October 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I have a 99 K2500 Burb, so getting a 97 PCM means I have to find someone with one to see if it will work like I hope...

I will do an 0411 soon, just to do it....

Autotap said they are looking at getting going on supporting the 96-97's...

I think it's safe to assume that the 96-97 PCM's will NEVER be supported.
Tom...why don't you swap to an 0411 LS1 PCM?