PDA

View Full Version : BBL installer update: June 12, 2008

Blacky
June 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
The Black Box Logging beta software is now available as a fully self contained Windows installation. As well, we have made available the latest V7.5.4 EFILive Scan and Tune software as a fully self contained Windows installation.

Please read this entire thread before downloading and/or attempting to update any part of the EFILvie software or FlashScan hardware.

Although both packages are still designated as beta releases, they are stable and may be used in place of V7.5.3 and previous versions of V7.5.4. As with all beta software there may still be some slight teething problems with the installation, upgrade and reconfiguration of V7.4.x to V7.5.3. for that reason we do not recommend using this software in a production environment where failures cannot be tolerated.

Important pre-requisites that must be in place BEFORE you attempt to upgrade to the new software and/or firmware.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to use boot block V2.05.06 (released March 26, 2008).
See this link for more info on what is wrong with V2.05.06
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7804)

FlashScan MUST be running firmware V2.04.72 before you attempt to upgrade the boot block. If your FlashScan device is running V2.04.70 or V2.04.71 and you perform the boot block upgrade, FlashScan will be upgraded with the wrong boot block version. If you are in that situation, please see this thread: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8085

To upgrade your FlashScan device to V2.04.72, use this program: Start -> EFILive V7.5 -> Update FlashScan V2 Firmware.
The firmware file is available here: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\FSProg_V2_4_72.ffw.

After performing the boot block upgrade, the two orange LEDs will flash, indicating that the boot block upgrade process is complete even though the LCD screen will continue to dimly display the message:

BOOTBLOCK UPGRADE
IN PROGRESS
DO NOT
INTERRUPT

At this point you should uninstall V7.5.3 (or any earlier version of EFILive that is on your system). You can unplug FlashScan during the install if you want/need to.

The readme.pdf document says to backup your *.tun and *.efi files and to delete the two folders where EFILive was installed. Renaming them, as explained below is quicker and safer than backing them up and deleting them.

So, rename the following folders if they are still present on your system.

Version 7.4 and earlier folders:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7 to \My Documents\EFILive\V7_old
\Program Files\EFILive\V7 to \Program Files\EFILive\V7_oldVersion 7.5.x folders:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5 to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5 to \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5_oldThe purpose of renaming those folders is so that when V7.5.4 is installed it will not delete or overwrite any files that you have saved or modified in those folders.

Install V7.5.4 and V8.1.1

After the new software has been installed (reconnect FlashScan if necessary) and while the two orange LEDs are flashing, you must program the new FSProgV2_05_17(0612).efw firmware into the FlashScan device. To do that, use the program: Start->EFILive->V8.1->EFILive Explorer.
The Readme.pdf file attached to this post contains detailed instructions on how to successfully upgrade your FlashScan device's boot block and/or firmware.

EFILive recommends copying your previous setup and data files from the old V7 software (the folders you renamed earlier) to the new V7.5.4 software. To do that, copy the following folders (overwrite existing files):

From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\User Configuration to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration
From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\PIDs to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\MAPs to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps
From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\VDash to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\VDash
From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\Logged Data to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Logged Data
From: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_old\bins to \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\bins

(You may need to substitute V7_old for V7.5_old depending on which version of EFILive was previosuly installed).

Download here:
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.4.exe (59Mb)
http://download2.efilive.com/Software/V8.1/EFILiveV8.1.1.exe (7Mb)

Any questions, please post in a new thread in this forum.
Please read the three attached files for more information about the V7.5.4 and V8.1.1 updates.

Regards
Paul

dc_justin
June 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Install went well.

Still having a problem with the T42 upshift base pressure tables D8101 and D8201. D8301 is working properly. Both metric and imperial units show 90psi/620kPa.

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM
The pid selection hotkeys don't seem to work (nothnig happens).

V2 displays good log data and good FF data.

Lennart
June 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Switchable tunes for E38 ?!

Lennart
June 12th, 2008, 04:56 AM
The pid selection hotkeys don't seem to work (nothnig happens).

V2 displays good log data and good FF data.

Did you use the new options.ini ? It is needed for the hotkeys to work.....

BlackGMC
June 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Will this update allow me to do this:

The next update is due for release this week. It has the capability of logging the raw serial data to a trace file. Once you have the new firmware in FlashScan, hook up the AEM and allow FlashScan to read the data for about 5 seconds, then save a trace file using menu: F2 Scan Tool -> F3 Scan Options -> F1 Save Trace file. Then use EFILive_Explorer to copy the trace file to your PC and then send it to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
June 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I noticed the "Switch.ini" file info is now at the bottom of the "options.ini". Any word on when we'll be able to use the V2 to switch tunes? Any chance we'll be able to use the V2 to enable "valet" mode?

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Did you use the new options.ini ? It is needed for the hotkeys to work.....Yes I did...

V2 shows F1, F2, F3, F4 next to the pid list items.

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Paul, did the .mls feature ever work...?

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yes I did...

V2 shows F1, F2, F3, F4 next to the pid list items.

In the Options.ini file it the hotkeys should be 1, 2, 3 and 4 not F1, F2, F3 and F4.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Will this update allow me to do this:
Yes, this version saves the serial port data to the trace file.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Paul, did the .mls feature ever work...?
It should be working, is there a specific problem with it that I don't know about (or have forgotten about)?
Paul

Lennart
June 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
In the Options.ini file it the hotkeys should be 1, 2, 3 and 4 not F1, F2, F3 and F4.

Regards
Paul

The options.ini does show 1,2,3,4 but the V2 shows F1,F2...and it does not work for me either.

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
It should be working, is there a specific problem with it that I don't know about (or have forgotten about)?
PaulI'll test it.

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The options.ini does show 1,2,3,4 but the V2 shows F1,F2...and it does not work for me either.

Correct, make sure you're pressing Ctrl+F1,not just F1.
Also make sure that you can select those PIDs via the menu.

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Ahhh... Ctrl+F1 instead of F1... I get it...:doh::doh2::doh::doh2::doh::doh2:

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Also make sure you've got a comma in the Options.ini file before the hotkey designator,

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
It should be working, is there a specific problem with it that I don't know about (or have forgotten about)?Under the PIDs tab I open TEST-CAT.pid, and when I goto the MAP tab nothing has changed.

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Also make sure you've got a comma in the Options.ini file before the hotkey designator,

Regards
PaulOk, that seems to work everywhere except when viewing the Select PID List menu...

The Select PID List menu shows one of F1, F2, F3, F4 next to four menu items...
pressing ctrl+Fn or Fn doesn't seem to do anything while on this menu...
but, the usual method of highlighting a PID list and pressing OK works.

JR-CRUZN-C5
June 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Not wanting to "mess this up" I am running V2.05.08 (0426) & 2.05.17 (0519) which are not mentioned above. Should I be changing "back" to the ones mentioned above before installing V7.5.4 & V8.1.1? HELP!!!

JR

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, that seems to work everywhere except when viewing the Select PID List menu...

The Select PID List menu shows one of F1, F2, F3, F4 next to four menu items...
pressing ctrl+Fn or Fn doesn't seem to do anything while on this menu...
but, the usual method of highlighting a PID list and pressing OK works.

Oh I see, the hot keys only work while you are in a menu.

The point is to power up FlashScan, then press Ctrl+F1 (or 2 or 3 or 4), then press the start logging button (the zero key). So you can start logging in 2 keystrokes.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Not wanting to "mess this up" I am running V2.05.08 (0426) & 2.05.17 (0519) which are not mentioned above. Should I be changing "back" to the ones mentioned above before installing V7.5.4 & V8.1.1? HELP!!!

JR

No don't go backwards. I you have boot block V2.05.08 (i.e. the most up to date boot block release), then all you need to do is program in the latest V2.05.17(0612) firmware, using EFIlive_Explorer.

Regards
Paul

ahajr
June 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
No issues updating boot and installing new PC software. However Vista has issues with EFI Explorer and Hapi writing to the ini files they try to update stored under Program files\efilive. I had to give the folder write priviledges for the regular user group.

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Oh I see, the hot keys only work while you are in a menu.

The point is to power up FlashScan, then press Ctrl+F1 (or 2 or 3 or 4), then press the start logging button (the zero key). So you can start logging in 2 keystrokes.

Regards
PaulAh, ok, the original intent is power up, Ctrl+F1, Zero.

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Under the PIDs tab I open TEST-CAT.pid, and when I goto the MAP tab nothing has changed.

Using those two files, it all works as expected on my WinXP system here.

I put TEST-CAT.pid in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
I put TEST-CAT.mls in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\MAPs
I started the Scan Tool, selected the PIDs tab page and opened the TEST-CAT.pid file.
The four maps specified in the TEST-CAT.mls file loaded into maps A thru D correctly.

There must be some configuration difference.
Exit from all EFILive software, then delete the reg key:
\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5\Properti es\Map
Then restart the Scan software and load the TEST-CAT.PID file.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
No issues updating boot and installing new PC software. However Vista has issues with EFI Explorer and Hapi writing to the ini files they try to update stored under Program files\efilive. I had to give the folder write priviledges for the regular user group.

Yes that is the case. I am still figuring out the best way to try and avoid that issue. There are a number of options each with their own problems.

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM

I started the Scan Tool, selected the PIDs tab page and opened the TEST-CAT.pid file.
The four maps specified in the TEST-CAT.mls file loaded into maps A thru D correctly.

Regards
PaulOk, I did that and now it works, thanks. :cheers:

Ninety8C5
June 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Regards
Paul

I must be doing something really wrong because I did all of the above and it still does not work for me. I've never been able to get this to work.

GMPX
June 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Switchable tunes for E38 ?!
Yes, well, more like switchable options, more details soon. Paul's new car has been a test rig, even causing embarrassment on the freeway when he forgot he'd switched it to valet mode.

I noticed the "Switch.ini" file info is now at the bottom of the "options.ini". Any word on when we'll be able to use the V2 to switch tunes? Any chance we'll be able to use the V2 to enable "valet" mode?
Yes you could if you set up one of your tunes as a Valet mode. At this stage it will only switch your DSP tunes.

Install went well.

Still having a problem with the T42 upshift base pressure tables D8101 and D8201. D8301 is working properly. Both metric and imperial units show 90psi/620kPa.

What OS is that Justin?, or all of them?

Cheers,
Ross

dc_justin
June 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
What OS is that Justin?, or all of them?

Cheers,
Ross

Quickly found these three working improperly:
24239927 (Interesting, GM used this in both 07 and 08 vehicles)

mr.prick
June 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM
the imperial units in the scan.exe are inHg and
the tune.exe imperial units are PSI.
this has been for some time now.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4908&highlight=7.4+issue
i don`t know if this will cause a problem but i`d like to use
all imperial settings and not mix and match.
it may not be a big deal, but it is an annoyance.
is it just a matter of editing the sae.generic or is there more to it?

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I must be doing something really wrong because I did all of the above and it still does not work for me. I've never been able to get this to work.

In your Scan Tool software in the Properties window on the [Folders] tab page, make sure the PIDs and MAPs settings are pointing to these folders respectively:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
and
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps

I'm pretty sure the *.mls file must be located in whatever folder the "Maps" folder setting is set to.

As a last resort you can turn on startup logging by right clicking on the EFILiv eScan Tool shortcut icon on the desktop and selecting Properties. Then add /l (thats a space, then a slash then a lower case L for "logging") to the Target.
Re-start the scan tool and then close it.

Look for the file: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\StartupLog.txt

Open it and search for mls (near the end), you should see something like this:

15:56:53.252|1224|OpenPid C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs\TEST-CAT.pid
15:56:53.549|1224|Load MAPs...
15:56:53.549|1224|*.mls file: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\TEST-CAT.mls
15:56:53.549|1224|mls file exists
15:56:53.549|1224|MLS %d: %s
15:56:53.549|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\{B0101} Main VE - LC-1 WO2 AFR.map
15:56:53.564|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\{B0101} Main VE - LC-1 WO2 BEN.map
15:56:53.564|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\{B5001} MAF Calibration - LC-1 WO2 AFR.map
15:56:53.580|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\{B5001} MAF Calibration - LC-1 WO2 BEN.map
15:56:53.580|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
15:56:53.580|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
15:56:53.595|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
15:56:53.595|1224|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
15:56:53.595|1224|Active map set to A
15:56:53.627|1224|OpenPid done
Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Remember to turn off the /l logging option once you've created the log file.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM

The fix for this problem did not get done. I don't know why yet, but sorry about that. It is at the top of the list to get fixed asap.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM

You can edit sae_generic.txt and change the units to PSI if you're comfortable figuring out the conversion factor(s).

Regards
Paul

swingtan
June 12th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi All,
the upgrade went well, though the tune tool came up in demo mode. I used the opportunity to test the connecting of the V2 and checking the license retrieval, which went well. I then disconnected the the V2 and subsequently noticed the "Backup" option under Help - FlashScan V2 VIN Licensing... Clicking on this option with the flash scan disconnected, resulted in an absurdly wide error window popping up with the text " Licence details could not be backed up. No rely." I'd estimate the window is around 15400 pixels wide... I'll see how the rest goes tonight.

Simon.

Chuck CoW
June 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hey Guys.... I've got the serial wideband working great and have used it extensively on E38 and once on E67 with NO PROBLEMS.

However, I can't even connect to LS1's with serial wideband working..... Anyone have this same experience.....?

I had some connectivity problems and I'm thinking that some of it was not having an SD card installed to save settings.......Wacha think?

I'll test the LS1 stuff tomorrow first thing.

Anyone know how to use change the BEN factor of RTACS when using roadrunner with SERIAL WIDEBAND???? I'm hoping it's simple.:confused:

Chuck CoW

Ninety8C5
June 13th, 2008, 12:56 AM
In your Scan Tool software in the Properties window on the [Folders] tab page, make sure the PIDs and MAPs settings are pointing to these folders respectively:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
and
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps

I'm pretty sure the *.mls file must be located in whatever folder the "Maps" folder setting is set to.

As a last resort you can turn on startup logging by right clicking on the EFILiv eScan Tool shortcut icon on the desktop and selecting Properties. Then add /l (thats a space, then a slash then a lower case L for "logging") to the Target.
Re-start the scan tool and then close it.

Look for the file: \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\StartupLog.txt

Open it and search for mls (near the end), you should see something like this:
Regards
Paul

For some unknown reason, my Scan Tool cannot find the TEST-CAT.mls file. I've verified several times that it is in the correct folder, but the StartUpLog does not see it.

09:26:55.312|3900|Validate connection...
09:26:55.312|3900|Load customer details...
09:26:55.375|3900|Load MRU PID selection...
09:26:55.375|3900|OpenPid C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs\TEST-CAT.pid
09:26:56.046|3900|mls file does not exist
09:26:56.046|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.046|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.062|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.062|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.078|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.078|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.093|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.093|3900|Load map: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Maps\
09:26:56.109|3900|Active map set to A
09:26:56.109|3900|OpenPid done
09:26:56.109|3900|Load MRU dashboard...

Blacky
June 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Check the following two settings in the Scan Tool Properties window:

1. On the [Startup] tab page, make sure the "Always load dashboard file" checkbox is checked off.

2. On the [Options] tab page make sure the "Link PIDs and dashboards" checkbox is checked on.

The *.mls file is processed when the dashboard is loaded therefor it is only "linked" with the PID file name if the dashboard is linked to the PID file name.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
June 13th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Check the following two settings in the Scan Tool Properties window:

1. On the [Startup] tab page, make sure the "Always load dashboard file" checkbox is checked off.

2. On the [Options] tab page make sure the "Link PIDs and dashboards" checkbox is checked on.

The *.mls file is processed when the dashboard is loaded therefor it is only "linked" with the PID file name if the dashboard is linked to the PID file name.

Regards
Paul

It looks like unchecking the "Always load dashboard file" fixed it. It now finds the *.mls file and loads the MAPS. :thumb_yello: :fluffy:

Lennart
June 13th, 2008, 01:45 AM
At this stage it will only switch your DSP tunes.

Cheers,
Ross

Does this mean the latest OSs do support DSP5 V2 switchable tunes now?

GMPX
June 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Lennart, let me know what OS you are running if you want to test it, they are all done ready to go.

Cheers,
Ross

TFZ_Z06
June 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
How are the "Favorite Parameters" stored? I still have the old folder. Can I get my favorties back?

Ninety8C5
June 14th, 2008, 12:37 AM
How are the "Favorite Parameters" stored? I still have the old folder. Can I get my favorties back?

Go to your 'old folder' and copy the "cal_favorites.txt" file from the "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5_Old\User Configuration folder into the new "\User Configuration" folder.

Lennart
June 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Ross,

I am running a DSP2 OS right now: 05875801
The matching DSP5 would be: 05875805

Thanks,
Lennart

newguy2diesel
June 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
efilive explorer wont let me close it down keeps popping up a screen saying (cannot create file "c:program files\efilive\v8.1\programs\efilive_explorer.ini" . access is denied) any one have any clues?

XLR8NSS
June 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm gonna test this new firmware out tomorrow probably on a long trip to see if the E38 BBL issue pops up or not. :)

Blacky
June 14th, 2008, 02:29 PM
efilive explorer wont let me close it down keeps popping up a screen saying (cannot create file "c:program files\efilive\v8.1\programs\efilive_explorer.ini" . access is denied) any one have any clues?

Are you using vista?
http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=71173&postcount=88

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I'm gonna test this new firmware out tomorrow probably on a long trip to see if the E38 BBL issue pops up or not. :)

Should be good to go. I logged over 160,000 frames (just over an hour) on an E38/T43 combo with no problems.

Regards
Paul

swingtan
June 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
A quick update on connecting the V2 to a Holden VZ E38 ECM.

Any alerts / warnings: None so far
Protocol Detection with ignition on: Yes, detects CAN OK.
Connecting with Ignition off, then turning on ignition: All fine, reads VIN & OS with no need to replug.
DTC's and FF: None to read ATM.
SD Card: Working fine.

TFZ_Z06
June 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
A quick update on connecting the V2 to a Holden VZ E38 ECM.

Any alerts / warnings: None so far
Protocol Detection with ignition on: Yes, detects CAN OK.
Connecting with Ignition off, then turning on ignition: All fine, reads VIN & OS with no need to replug.
DTC's and FF: None to read ATM.
SD Card: Working fine.

I've got a couple DTCs I tried to look up but it said not found to all of them.

Blacky
June 14th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I've got a couple DTCs I tried to look up but it said not found to all of them.

Have you copied the p.dtc, c.dtc, b.dtc and u.dtc files into the [Scan] tab page of FlashScan using EFILive_Explorer? Those files contain the text that FlashScan uses to display DTC descriptions.

Those files are in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Scan

Regards
Paul

TFZ_Z06
June 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Have you copied the p.dtc, c.dtc, b.dtc and u.dtc files into the [Scan] tab page of FlashScan using EFILive_Explorer? Those files contain the text that FlashScan uses to display DTC descriptions.

Those files are in the folder: \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Scan

Regards
Paul

working now...thanks.

Lennart
June 15th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Running the latest bootblock and fw, these are the issues I am experiencing:

MAJOR: Losing data from SD card
Was at the track today, logged the first run. Then displayed data for about 45 mins. and just before the second run I got the $0185...so I did not log my second run either.
The same happened a few days ago, after logging a few files I left the V2 connected in the vehicle. After that all data was lost....
MAJOR: V8.1.1 does not detect my V2 !
Yesterday I had to repair the install and it worked just fine afterwards. At the track I was not able to connect!!

I was able to change memory to internal and log the 3rd run and save a trave file.

Later,
Lennart

ScarabEpic22
June 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Just another thing, Im so happy DTCs can be cleared on VPW cars/trucks now too! It was getting annoying not being able to when field testing things. :D

Blacky
June 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I checked the trace file, it does not show anything that would help diagnose the problem :(

Have you tried a different SD card?

If the same/similar problems exist with a different card, there may be a problem with the SD card holder in FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

Running the latest bootblock and fw, these are the issues I am experiencing:

MAJOR: Losing data from SD card
Was at the track today, logged the first run. Then displayed data for about 45 mins. and just before the second run I got the $0185...so I did not log my second run either.
The same happened a few days ago, after logging a few files I left the V2 connected in the vehicle. After that all data was lost....
MAJOR: V8.1.1 does not detect my V2 !
Yesterday I had to repair the install and it worked just fine afterwards. At the track I was not able to connect!!

I was able to change memory to internal and log the 3rd run and save a trave file.

Later,
Lennart

Cougar281
June 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Paul, is the V2 supposed to clear codes from all modules or can that option be added? I (supposedly*) have codes that originate in the EBCM, as well as codes from the radio that the V2 doesn't clear alone, but with the PC in passthrough, I can clear them all.

* - My V2 reports C0035, C0040, and C0055, not current, Mil (supposed to be) active, but the tech2 reports no DTC's in the ECM, TCM and EBCM (current or history).

Blacky
June 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Paul, is the V2 supposed to clear codes from all modules or can that option be added? I (supposedly*) have codes that originate in the EBCM, as well as codes from the radio that the V2 doesn't clear alone, but with the PC in passthrough, I can clear them all.

* - My V2 reports C0035, C0040, and C0055, not current, Mil (supposed to be) active, but the tech2 reports no DTC's in the ECM, TCM and EBCM (current or history).

The "not current" status means the codes are pending.
The "MIL" status means when the DTC is current the MIL will be illuminated.

If you use the latest V2 firmware there are now two DTC options:
1. Get ALL DTCs (includes pending DTcs)
2. Get Current DTCs (only gets DTCs thast are current - like you're seeing on the tech2)

FlashScan should clear all DTCs from all modules. However, the DTC pending status can get set again in less than a second.

I take it you are seeing different results when clearing codes form the PC v's clearing them from FlashScan?

If so, after clearing them from the PC, please generate a user error report. And after clearing them from FlashScan, please save the trace file. Please send both files to me at paul@efilive.com, thanks.

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
June 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM
If I clear them with the PC, they don't come back right away... Not sure exactly *when* they come back, though. When I clear all codes standalone, they never go away. This is related to this (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8200) thread. Shouldn't the Tech2 show pending codes, either in current or history?

Oddly enough, when I was at a dead stop, the Tech 2 reported all three sensors as saying I was moving at 3MPh. When I was moving, the speeds seemed dead on. :nixweiss:

I should be able to make the files you requested tomorrow.

The "not current" status means the codes are pending.
The "MIL" status means when the DTC is current the MIL will be illuminated.

If you use the latest V2 firmware there are now two DTC options:
1. Get ALL DTCs (includes pending DTcs)
2. Get Current DTCs (only gets DTCs thast are current - like you're seeing on the tech2)

FlashScan should clear all DTCs from all modules. However, the DTC pending status can get set again in less than a second.

I take it you are seeing different results when clearing codes form the PC v's clearing them from FlashScan?

If so, after clearing them from the PC, please generate a user error report. And after clearing them from FlashScan, please save the trace file. Please send both files to me at paul@efilive.com, thanks.

Regards
Paul

XLR8NSS
June 16th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Should be good to go. I logged over 160,000 frames (just over an hour) on an E38/T43 combo with no problems.

Regards
Paul

Logged(BBL E38 auto) 106,000 frames on my way to work today, no hangups. :)

mr.prick
June 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
i can`t add some parameters to the favorites side.
i tried to add {B3308} but {B3307 was saved instead. (example)

Blacky
June 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
i can`t add some parameters to the favorites side.
i tried to add {B3308} but {B3307 was saved instead. (example)

When you add any parameter from a particular parameter window, only the first parameter is saved as a favorite. When you select that favorite, the entire parameter window opens and you can see/edit the others.

Regards
Paul

fire0021
June 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM
well I did the new download and now i can read dtc on the v2 only but not in the flash scan tool. I have clicked it 2or 3 times to no avail but works fine on the v2. also Logging on the v2 only works if i sleect the lbz controller yet i have a LMM it doesnt work if i selct lmm contoller says unsuported pids exsist ?

mr.prick
June 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
When you add any parameter from a particular parameter window, only the first parameter is saved as a favorite. When you select that favorite, the entire parameter window opens and you can see/edit the others.

Regards
Paul

this is not an improvement. IMO:grin:
when i select from my favorites i like to jump straight
to the box/table so it can be edited.(RTACS) :notacrook:
also i would like to mention the desc portion of the favorites tab,
when clicked it shuffles the list, extremely annoying.

Blacky
June 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
this is not an improvement. IMO:grin:
when i select from my favorites i like to jump straight
to the box/table so it can be edited.(RTACS) :notacrook:

I agree, I'd like i to go straight to the cal - I'll see what I can do.

also i would like to mention the desc portion of the favorites tab,
when clicked it shuffles the list, extremely annoying.

Its sorting by the column header you click on. Each time you click on a column header it reverses the sort order of the data in that column. Just click on the ID column to re-sort in ID order.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
well I did the new download and now i can read dtc on the v2 only but not in the flash scan tool. I have clicked it 2or 3 times to no avail but works fine on the v2.
Make sure you don't have the EFILive_Explorer or EFILive_Hapi programs running when you try to use the EFILive Scan and/or Tune tool software. They cannot both access FlashScan at the same time.

also Logging on the v2 only works if i sleect the lbz controller yet i have a LMM it doesnt work if i selct lmm contoller says unsuported pids exsist ?

New definitions for LMM are done and will be released this weekend in a software update.

Regards
Paul

fire0021
June 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Make sure you don't have the EFILive_Explorer or EFILive_Hapi programs running when you try to use the EFILive Scan and/or Tune tool software. They cannot both access FlashScan at the same time.

New definitions for LMM are done and will be released this weekend in a software update.

Regards
Paul

thanks you :)

no the hapi wasent running as i can log fine but cannot read dtcs ?

Blacky
June 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
thanks you :)

no the hapi wasent running as i can log fine but cannot read dtcs ?

We can see the fault happening here as well, I will get an update to correct the problem in the next update.

Regards
Paul

dmaxfireman
June 19th, 2008, 02:12 AM
My scan tool is acting up as well. DVT's work fine but when I try to log is says no response from vehicle. Is this the same problem? This is on an LBZ

fire0021
June 19th, 2008, 02:36 AM
We can see the fault happening here as well, I will get an update to correct the problem in the next update.

Regards
Paul

Thank YOU

turbo_bu
June 19th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I installed the newest beta update on my desktop and it installs find. I went and tried to put it on my old laptop and ran into an error of "... needs at least 128 Meg or Ram ... " to install. I realize that my old laptop is ancient (only 64 Meg or ram), but I have never had an issue with installing EFI Live.

Did something change with the install program? Can we change something with how it installs so it can work with something as low as 64 meg? I know I am in the minority here, but would like to keep my old laptop up to date for flashing purposes. ..... at least until with get standalone flashing ready :grin:

Blacky
June 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
My scan tool is acting up as well. DVT's work fine but when I try to log is says no response from vehicle. Is this the same problem? This is on an LBZ

Possibly, we're still working on the fix. The problem is affecting 06 LLY, LBZ and LMM Bosch controllers only.

Regards
Paul

dmaxfireman
June 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks Paul. Will reinstalling the previous beta version of efi fix this or will I have to wait for the update to come out.

Blacky
June 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
The current beta installer has been instructed (incorrectly) that 128Mb is a pre-requisite. The official EFILive recommended memory is actually 64Mb so It will be corrected to 64Mb in the next update (should be this weekend).
I don't think there is much you can do about it until then, sorry.

Regards
Paul

I installed the newest beta update on my desktop and it installs find. I went and tried to put it on my old laptop and ran into an error of "... needs at least 128 Meg or Ram ... " to install. I realize that my old laptop is ancient (only 64 Meg or ram), but I have never had an issue with installing EFI Live.

Did something change with the install program? Can we change something with how it installs so it can work with something as low as 64 meg? I know I am in the minority here, but would like to keep my old laptop up to date for flashing purposes. ..... at least until with get standalone flashing ready :grin:

Blacky
June 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Paul. Will reinstalling the previous beta version of efi fix this or will I have to wait for the update to come out.

I don't know. But I expect to have the next update released this weekend, so its probably not worth the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling.
Also, part of the fix requires an update to the FlashScan firmware.

Regards
Paul

dmaxfireman
June 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks Paul you guys are the best!

JGBLS1GTO
June 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hi,

I have been staying current with the latest BBL releases for awhile.

I’m having fun logging data every time I drive without the hassles of a laptop.

There are a couple issues that make logging awkward. I like to leave the V2 plugged in between drive cycles.

I have noticed the Date and Time are not updated when the V2 unit goes to sleep. Would it be possible to keep the clock up to date and have sleep mode? How much power is drawn from the battery if I choose to disable low power?

I also get an 'Unsupported PID message' after the unit has gone into low power mode and I need to power cycle the V2 to clear the message. Theses are the steps where I get the problem with an unsupported PID message. Plug in the V2 into my car, select Pids, turn on the ignition, log some data, save the log, V2 goes to sleep (ignition is still on), start to log data again and I get a message that a PID is invalid. I’m pretty sure the only time I get the unsupported PID message is after the unit goes to sleep.

One more guestion PID GM.STATE02 (Clutch Pedal Switch) never changes while I am driving but will say released or applied for the entire logging session. Is this expected or is there something else I can look at to monitor the clutch pedal switch? (OP System: 12587604)

Thanks

Blacky
June 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have been staying current with the latest BBL releases for awhile.

I’m having fun logging data every time I drive without the hassles of a laptop.

There are a couple issues that make logging awkward. I like to leave the V2 plugged in between drive cycles.

That should not be a problem.

I have noticed the Date and Time are not updated when the V2 unit goes to sleep. Would it be possible to keep the clock up to date and have sleep mode? How much power is drawn from the battery if I choose to disable low power?

Low power mode should not affect the clock as the power remains connected to FlashScan and the clock should keep running.

The clock loses its time when power is removed from FlashScan.
When power is re-applied the clock sets itself to the most recent time that was commanded from the PC using EFILive_Explorer.
Note: Low power mode does not count as removing power from FlashScan - it should not reset the date/time.

Normal mode about 300mA
Sleep mode about 120mA

I also get an 'Unsupported PID message' after the unit has gone into low power mode and I need to power cycle the V2 to clear the message. Theses are the steps where I get the problem with an unsupported PID message. Plug in the V2 into my car, select Pids, turn on the ignition, log some data, save the log, V2 goes to sleep (ignition is still on), start to log data again and I get a message that a PID is invalid. I’m pretty sure the only time I get the unsupported PID message is after the unit goes to sleep.

I can't reproduce that here, can you tell me what type of vehicle you are testing this on (from the OS below I presume an LS1) and can you send your Options.ini file and tell me which PID selection from that file you are using? (send to paul@efilive.com)

One more guestion PID GM.STATE02 (Clutch Pedal Switch) never changes while I am driving but will say released or applied for the entire logging session. Is this expected or is there something else I can look at to monitor the clutch pedal switch? (OP System: 12587604)

Thanks

Are you checking the clutch pedal status on FlashScan's screen during BB logging or on the PC during pass through logging?

Regards
Paul

dfe1
June 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
I don't specifically remember getting the unsupported PID message with FlashScan, but it pops up regularly with AutoCal after coming back from Low Power, or after the engine has been turned off and restarted. Both units are a bit flaky following an engine restart or a return from Low Power, but unplugging the connector from the vehicle and plugging it back in always solves the problem. I don't know if it's possible, but I think a hard reset following a return from Low Power and after an engine restart would be a good solution. This would necessitate a reselection of PIDs, but you have to do that anyhow after a disconnect/reconnect. On the other hand, if the units can retain their PID/link memories when returning from sleepy time, that would obviously be preferable and eliminate complaints from people with tender hands being required to unplug and re-plug the connector.

I did some more testing and FlashScan does not come back from Low Power or engine off either. Sometimes I get an invalid PID message. After unplugging the connector and reconnecting, life is good again.

dmaxfireman
June 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
Playing with the LBZ idle controls it will idle when stopped in drive but as soon as you start moving with goes back to the old settings in this case 680rpm then once you stop it takes a about 10-15 seconds before it drops back down to the desired idle. The DVT works well though. If i set the dvt to 550 it will work perfectly. Are we missing a table or am I missing something in a table we already have.

-Kyle

bballer182
June 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Playing with the LBZ idle controls it will idle when stopped in drive but as soon as you start moving with goes back to the old settings in this case 680rpm then once you stop it takes a about 10-15 seconds before it drops back down to the desired idle. The DVT works well though. If i set the dvt to 550 it will work perfectly. Are we missing a table or am I missing something in a table we already have.

-Kyle

Thats a good question. What are all of the new tables we have with the LBZ other than the idle control?

Lennart
June 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
When reading DTCs from the vehicle the Radio throws some codes. In passthrough they are detected as B1035/45/55 while in stand-alone they are detected as D1035/45/55.
So far no more lost data with the new SD card :)