PDA

View Full Version : Flashscan With Dashhawk?

ahajr
June 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Can two CAN devices use the OBDII connector at once? Lets say I find the connectors and create a Y cable. Could my Flashscan and my Dashhawk both work connected in parallel?

My Dashhawk is mounted in the dash, and I'd love not to have to find a place to keep the OBDII cable connector when the v2 is plugged in. I could then permanently route the Flashscan cable to the console where I keep it when I'm logging. I would then not have to connect anything but the Flashscan when I need it.

Is this possible?

Blacky
June 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
It is physically possible and allowable to connect multiple "Scan tool" type devices using a simple Y type cable.

At EFILive we use multiple FlashScan devices connected to the vehicle's CAN bus using a Y cable.

However, I don't think you would be successful if you tried to log/display PID data using both devices at the same time.

Regards
Paul

ahajr
June 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
That figures, I'll still have to reach under and unplug the DashHawk, or figure out a power switch.

By unsuccessful, are you thinking, "blow one of them up" or "inaccurate/unavailable readings"?

Thanks,
Allen

Blacky
June 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
You can have them both plugged in at the same time. You won't damage anything by having them both connected and powered at the same time.

Just don't expect FlashScan to report correct data if the DashHawk is currently scanning data and vice/versa. It may work - though I think it probably won't.

If you aren't doing anything with FlashScan it will just sit idly on the bus and it won't interfere with anything else (i.e. the DashHawk).

Regards
Paul

ahajr
June 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I Guess I'll hunt up a Y connector. If it doesn't work, then I'll add a power switch in the line for the dashhawk.

Flip the switch that kills the dashhawk, connect the v2 cable from in the glovebox, BBLog, pack the cables away, flip the switch, pull the V2 logs in the house.

Now when you get the Tune stuff ready, Well, the Dashhawk may go up for sale. Then I'll be looking for a good looking mounting system for the V2 in the middle of my dash.

Thanks for all the input.
Allen

kbracing96
June 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I have done it with my Interceptor scan gauge and EFIlive, the 2 devices shared the signal which slowed logging on both.

ahajr
June 16th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I have done it with my Interceptor scan gauge and EFIlive, the 2 devices shared the signal which slowed logging on both.

Power switch it is then. Thanks guys.