PDA

View Full Version : Idle Tuning with new pids (calc pid file included

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Here is my calc pid file for idle tuning. with this file and a map you should be able to dial your idle in to a tea on the first try ;) from a cold start to operating temps.

The correction is directly applied to the Airflow idle table for both PN/in gear and ac on and off. To use these pids with a map set either a row/colum to rpm =8000 and use the respective ECT values to build your tables. Happy idle tuning

# ================================================== ============================
# File details
# ------------
#
# This section defines various details about the file format.

*FILE

#Parameter Value Description
#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------
VERSION 7.1.1 File version
DECSEP . Decimal separator used in this file

# ================================================== ============================
# Units
# -------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *UNITS section

*UNITS

#Code System Abbr Description
#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

*CLC-00-000
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTDAC_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STD_DMA}"
*CLC-00-001
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTD_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STDAC_DMA}"
*CLC-00-002
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTPNAC_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STPN_DMA}"
*CLC-00-003
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTPN_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STPNAC_DMA}"

# Add slot definitions here
# --------------------------------
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on "SLOT" formats
#
#Units Low High Fmt Expression
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------

*PRN - Parameter Reference Numbers
# See sae_generic.txt for more information on the *PRN section
#
#Code PRN SLOT Units System Description
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ----------------

------------------------------------------

CALC.RAFIG F600 CLC-00-000 "gps" CALC "Idle Airflow Correction AC off, in gear"
CALC.RAFACIG F601 CLC-00-001 "gps" CALC "Idle Airflow Correction AC on, in gear"
CALC.RAFACPN F602 CLC-00-002 "gps" CALC "Idle Airflow Correction AC on, P/N"
CALC.RAFPN F603 CLC-00-003 "gps" CALC "Idle Airflow Correction AC off, P/N"

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 02:26 AM
I'm going to show my ignorance here. Will this work if you have an ETC? I have an '04 Corvette.

GMPX
August 19th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that Mr Diggler :)
I might just have to try that one myself, Cold start idle P/N shift to D can be a pain to get right, you only get a few shots a day afterall.

Cheers,
Ross

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 02:45 AM
I'm going to show my ignorance here. Will this work if you have an ETC? I have an '04 Corvette.

I dont see why it wont. ETC cars dont have IAC motors and are DEPENDANT on the raf tables for airflow values (moreso than cable actauted cars). No thank you for adding the new PIDS ;)

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Thank you, another reason I asked is when I try to select the PID's listed above they all come up invalid. I think this is because I have an ETC car?

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Has the scanner validated the PIDS

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 03:10 AM
It should have. I plugged into car last night and all the new IAC PID's list as invalid. Again it could be operator error, but usually an invalid PID become valid once I plug into the car.

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Not sure what your problem is but next itme you ahve the scanner connected to the car hit shift + F2

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Good idea. I just hooked up to my '04 Chevy Truck, also ETC controlled. Performed shift + F2. Still no IAC PID's. Maybe it's not just me?

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Maybe i was wrong about the ETC cars. I guess Ross or Paul will have to chime in on this one

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Hey, no worries I appreciate your time. I've been trying to tune the idle on my '04 Vette for weeks. I was hopeing this was the golden answer. Thank you again for your time.

BLK02WS6
August 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Dirk - gotta try these out! Like said above, you only get a couple of chances on the cold ones!

Blacky
August 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Good idea. I just hooked up to my '04 Chevy Truck, also ETC controlled. Performed shift + F2. Still no IAC PID's. Maybe it's not just me?

The IAC PIDs for a few operating systems were not included in the first 7.3 release. They have now been added and will be available shortly. It has nothing to do with ETC or no-ETC - just we didn't get them all done in time for the 7.3 pre-release.

Regards
Paul

Z16DNA
August 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Paul, this is great news. I know your doing your best. Thank you for all your efforts.

Kevin

BowlingSS
August 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Here is my calc pid file for idle tuning. with this file and a map you should be able to dial your idle in to a tea on the first try ;) from a cold start to operating temps.

The correction is directly applied to the Airflow idle table for both PN/in gear and ac on and off. To use these pids with a map set either a row/colum to rpm =8000 and use the respective ECT values to build your tables. Happy idle tuning

# File details
# ------------
#

*FILE

#---------- ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------

# Units
# -------------------

*UNITS

#-------- ---------- -------- -------------------------------------------------------------

*CLC-00-000
*CLC-00-001
*CLC-00-002
*CLC-00-003

#
#------------ ------------- ------------- ---- --------------------------------------------------------------

#

CALC.RAFACIG F601 CLC-00-001 "gps" CALC "Idle Airflow Correction AC on, in gear"

I copied this into my cal_pid.txt file and keep getting an error. It says it can not find the unit. Is part of this missing?
Thanks,
Bill

Dirk Diggler
August 19th, 2005, 01:09 PM
make sure you have gps everywhere it needs to be mine works fine

bink
August 19th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Dirk ! Thanks for the Calc PIDs.
Works very well with ETC. :D

BowlingSS- Go to -> My Documents -> EFIlive-> V7 -> User Configuration-> PIDS -> calc_pids. Then copy and paste this ->

*CLC-00-000
*CLC-00-001
*CLC-00-002
*CLC-00-003

below this section->
# Units
# -------------------

*UNITS

of YOUR Existing Calc pid file.

Then do the same copy and paste of this->
below this section ->
#

of the same calc pid file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
joel

BowlingSS
August 20th, 2005, 04:10 AM
I am not getting the error now. Operator error I guess.
Thanks everyone. Now to do some logging. It is sooo hot today.
Bill

joecar
August 20th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Can you please re-post the updated calc_pids.txt file...
Thanks and Cheers,
Joe

Dirk Diggler
August 20th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Can you please re-post the updated calc_pids.txt file...
Thanks and Cheers,
Joe

huh :?: First post page one is the file I used. If you are talking about the message i sent bink it being worked on

joecar
August 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
huh :?: First post page one is the file I used. If you are talking about the message i sent bink it being worked on
oh, I thought it was altered; please disregard, I misread, my assumption, sorry.
:oops: :)

Highlander
August 20th, 2005, 02:46 PM
i am still getting a slot not found... even after a few changes.. file seems to be correct... so dont know what is happening

Highlander
August 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
never mind i fixed it.. there is a section that has to be pasted under the slot part not the units parts... mine looks like this

================================================== ============================
# File details
# ------------
#

*FILE

# Units
# -------------------

*UNITS

#

*CLC-00-000
*CLC-00-001
*CLC-00-002
*CLC-00-003

#
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------

Blacky
August 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
never mind i fixed it.. there is a section that has to be pasted under the slot part not the units parts... mine looks like this

Trap for young players #1:
I was testing the "problem" (fixed now I see) and cut/pasted the pid details into my calc_pids.txt file. I did not have a new line after the last line of the file and EFILive dropped the last character of the description of the last line.

Solution:
Always make sure there is a blank line at the end of the file :?

Paul

jsttry
August 23rd, 2005, 01:15 AM
Dumb question but what is the table to modify in the tune once you have the MAPs setup (RPM vs ECT with each Idle PID as the data)

I am assuming these are like LTFT's?

bink
August 23rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
Dumb question but what is the table to modify in the tune once you have the MAPs setup (RPM vs ECT with each Idle PID as the data)

I am assuming these are like LTFT's?

Idle Airflow {B4307}.

Cheers,
joel

Dirk Diggler
August 23rd, 2005, 02:44 AM
================================================== ============================
# File details
# ------------
#

*FILE

# Units
# -------------------

*UNITS

#

*CLC-00-000
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTD_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STD_DMA}"
*CLC-00-001
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTDAC_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STDAC_DMA}"
*CLC-00-002
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTPNAC_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STPNAC_DMA}"
*CLC-00-003
gps -32.0 32.0 2 "{GM.IAC_LTPN_DMA} + {GM.IAC_STPN_DMA}"

#
#------------------------- ---- ------------ ---------------- ---------------- ------------------------------------------

Updated calc pids file. There was an issue that was fixed in the latest release and the file changed a lillte. Happy Idle Tooning

Z16DNA
August 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Down loaded the update. I now have valid Idle PID's. Thank you Ross and Paul. Now I need to start exploring on how to set myself up for idle tuning. I've copied the newest Calc.pid file. Now setting up maps.

Thank you again.

jsttry
August 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM
OK, here is another dumb question.

The Airflow table is a single colum for P/N or In Gear with several rows for various ECT values. How do you get the MAP information into this table when the MAP has multiple rows AND columns? Are you not meant to set the various RPM rows and just enter "=8000" for the label?

http://www.mrjj.net/hosted/pics/iac.jpg

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Ok here is what you do to setup that map

Data

Calcuated Idle pid you are interested in

Column
?,8000

Row

Go to the editor and highlight the whole Idle airflow table(B4307). Right click and "copy with labels". Go back to the scanner under the row tab and click "paste Labels" and you are done making this map

In the picture above you have to many ect ranges and to many RPM ranges when you are done loging these pids you just want to go back and hit "paste add" for the range logged and have it do its thing

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Data

Column
?,8000

Row

Go to the editor and highlight the whole Idle airflow table(B4307). Right click and "copy with labels". Go back to the scanner under the row tab and click "paste Labels" and you are done making this map

In the picture above you have to many ect ranges and to many RPM ranges when you are done loging these pids you just want to go back and hit "paste add" for the range logged and have it do its thing

jsttry
August 24th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks Dirk :D

BowlingSS
August 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Data

Column
?,8000

Row

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about? A picture tells a thousand words.
When I try the above I get In Gear and Park/Netural as my col and ECT as the row but when I view the map only Parl/Netural show up but I am logging the In Gear PID. How do I get the In Gear PID to show up under the In Gear col?

Thanks,
Bill
:D

BowlingSS
August 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I have the four PIDS setup but I do not have a place for the PIDS with A/C on. The idle air flow (B4307) only has two columns. Do you average the two sets of numbers?

Also I assume that when your average is like .050 you add this to your IAC or -.050 you sub.

Bill

BowlingSS
September 2nd, 2005, 02:51 AM
I guess no one is using the new PIDS to correct IAC?

Bill

purrvert
September 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM
Straight addition, worked for me. First time in a year my Y body idled without hole inTB.

Dirk Diggler
September 2nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
I have the four PIDS setup but I do not have a place for the PIDS with A/C on. The idle air flow (B4307) only has two columns. Do you average the two sets of numbers?

Also I assume that when your average is like .050 you add this to your IAC or -.050 you sub.

Bill

use addition. if its -.50 it was say so in the scanner

BowlingSS
September 2nd, 2005, 07:22 AM

Bill

use addition. if its -.50 it was say so in the scanner

Which pid do you use the w a/c or without? Right now my LTD and LTDPN are reading zero. My LTPNAC is reading .050 and LTDAC is reading -.079 to -.119. What should I adjust for these? Do I adjust my Idle Learn B4331-4330 or B4329-4328?
Thanks,
Bill

Bill

Dirk Diggler
September 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
If I am not mistaken I have included descriptions of the new calc pids

BowlingSS
September 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM
If I am not mistaken I have included descriptions of the new calc pids

I have all four setup in FlashScan. I must be missing something. Can you please explain?

Bill

Dirk Diggler
September 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

This description is available on the PID selection page

Patches
September 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
I set these up (thanks Dirk :D ) and logged my M6 C5 idling from cold to operating temp. The two idle correction P/N maps registered .04 at 20* C and 0 in the rest of the cells. The In-gear maps registered nothing - not even zeroes. This was in MAF mode as I completed SD mode, reverted back to the MAF, rescaled that to get it dialed in and moved on to tune the idle.

Is this correct? Does this mean only one idle cell needs adjusting?

Next step is to plug that blasted hole in the throttle plate and retune idle.

BowlingSS
September 13th, 2005, 02:45 AM

I still do not see a place to put the a/c numbers into. Maybe my 2001 is different. :cry:

Bill

lplott
September 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I assume this file will not work 100% with a MN6 car.
:shock:
Has anyone re-worked this calc-pid to work with a MN6 car?

Thanks
Lonnie

Dirk Diggler
September 13th, 2005, 06:42 AM
My car is a manual and it works, if you look at the tun file you will see the Idle airflow table ONLY has numbers for "in gear" and manual cars....

BowlingSS
September 13th, 2005, 06:57 AM
I am looking at the Idle Air Flow Table B4307. Two columns In Gear and Park?Netural. No In Gear with A/C or Park with A/C. I guess no one knows where to adjust the Idle Airflow with A/C on.

Bill

jfpilla
September 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM

I still do not see a place to put the a/c numbers into. Maybe my 2001 is different. :cry:

Bill

Maybe this table? Direct airflow Correction

BowlingSS
September 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Bill

Maybe this table? Direct airflow Correction

That table is not in ECT. How would you use that table?
Bill

jfpilla
September 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Why ECT? The PCM uses IAT and ECT to affect A/F.

I've never used the table, so I'm just guessing that you would add air when A/C causes stumble. Since it's a direct additive the temp. tables would provide the rest. :roll:

BowlingSS
September 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM

I've never used the table, so I'm just guessing that you would add air when A/C causes stumble. Since it's a direct additive the temp. tables would provide the rest. :roll:

I am using B4307 Idle Airflow Table.

Bill

jfpilla
September 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Bill

Bill,
It doesn't matter. The tables are all related in their affects. That's what makes getting it right so hard. See B4901, for example.
Joe

bink
September 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM
If you scan for A/C-On airflow with this pid->

IAC - A/C Airflow {GM.IAC_AC_DMA}
"Airflow required to compensate for the parsitic load of the air conditioner compressor."

You can then use this offset parameter to compensate-> {B4329} Idle Learn Drive A/C On Limit High.

It has worked for me. :)

Soon we will have an "A/C Clutch Ramp In/Ramp Out Airflow" parameter available . See here -> http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139.

:D Hey Joe!!!! :D

Cheers,
joel

bink
September 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Bill

The new A/C ramp tables (A/C idle ramp in/out airflow B4354 and B4355.) are available in V7.3_005 ->http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_730.html

Joe- Thanks for the reminder about the Charge Temperature table.
Interesting table - could play havoc with BEN tuning, if not careful :lol: .
Hope the weather is OK for you and yours.

Cheers,
joel

jfpilla
September 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I agree, Joel. You know I always fixate on IAT and ECT as a culprit in tunes appearing to change after driving. Shortly after getting my car back I drove 90 miles on the Freeway. When I slowed the car was racing. I thought I had a bad tune and learning had taken place. I put the scanner on and it hit me. The new engine was running a little hot and had moved into 104C range. I lowered IAF from 104C and it solved it. I decided a long time ago not to worry too much about idle transition below 80C. It's too hard to fine tune and balance IAP and IAF with so many temperature combinations.
The car is good, it feels strong and I can feel the torque but can't say it feels much different up top. Probably really can't feel 20hp. I should get to the track and dyno as soon as it cools. It's cool in the AM but still too hot in the day.
Regards,
Joe

johnv
October 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM
can anyone post some screen shots of the MAP's we need to create to log with these new calc PID's :?:
would save some of us alot of confusion :roll:

cheers
John

BowlingSS
October 4th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Here are a couple of the maps I have used.

Bill

BowlingSS
October 4th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Here is the PIDS logged.
Bill

johnv
October 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Bill :D