PDA

View Full Version : new to tuning need a few answers

asbrgb
June 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
first of all glad to be part of this forum .
my first question is .... i know nothing about tunning but have a tuner that was given to me . is there general mpg tunes,hp tunes, or various tunes alltogether that i can use or download and install . second question is what are my options on learning how to use and set parameters ?
please help i hate to waste a 500.00 dollar tuner if i can use it
thanks !:help2:

Gelf VXR
June 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
first of all glad to be part of this forum .
my first question is .... i know nothing about tunning but have a tuner that was given to me . is there general mpg tunes,hp tunes, or various tunes alltogether that i can use or download and install . second question is what are my options on learning how to use and set parameters ?
please help i hate to waste a 500.00 dollar tuner if i can use it
thanks !:help2:

Efi Live is a quality piece of kit and I'm addicted, there are some tunes in the file depository but there mainly stock. One thing to note is that you need to invest in at least one Wide Band O2 meter.

If you have patience and are willing to stick at it, it may take 6 months to a year to get to grips with it, but the results are very rewarding:rockon:

:welcome:

odd boy
June 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM
:welcome::welcome: to the forum

See, most of file depository items were tuned for modified cars. My suggestion is, start reading through this forum and ask questions till you get clear idea about tuning.

Do you have a car that can be tuned with the lovely kit "EFILive"? If u have one, after getting a Wide Band as Gelf VXR said, start playing piano.

hquick
June 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Read, read, read, read and read some more.
When you think you're done...yep....read!
Then...ask questions.
You'll find the attitude here is mainly "I'm not going to 'give' you a tune but I'll teach you how to tune YOUR car".
If you put in the effort to read and search to answer your questions before asking..the amount of help you get will be astonishing.

joecar
June 26th, 2008, 02:34 AM
asbrgb, welcome...:cheers:

Here are some things to read:
- scantool/tunetool user manual .pdf's,
- AutoVE tutorial (http://store.efilive.com/download.aspx#downloads7)
- showthread.php?t=7867 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7867)

asbrgb
June 26th, 2008, 04:13 AM
ok so what if i just want to do general tunes on my vehicles ? basically i want to get better fuel mileage,bump up trans line pressures, basically a 89-93 tune ...........
i have 4 chevy vehicles
2005 2500hd 6.0
2005 pontiac grand prix
1999 1500 5.3
1999 suburban 5.7
is there general setting's to start out with to do basic mpg tunes .
for the most part i do not want to sit and tweak these vehicles for months .
thanks for the help ! i sure do appreciate it .
ron

i didnt want to have to buy a wide band . for example when jesse bubb does a tune on a pcm for somone does he use general settings and send them out ? obviously he doesnt tune every pcm and test it on the specific vehicle then send it to somone 800 miles away .

asbrgb
June 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM
my 2005 2500hd 6.0 was tuned by wait4me (jesse Bubb) can i use values from that tune if i up load them to my laptop ?

odd boy
June 26th, 2008, 04:21 PM
it's good if u compare the changes he made with the stock one, stock ones can be found in http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/

asbrgb
June 27th, 2008, 05:43 AM
who would like to SELL some tunes ?

NASABlue
June 27th, 2008, 06:37 AM
The "looking for a tuner" route won't get you real far here. See my post from earlier along those same lines.

Also, try to post where you are and what you got and what you’re trying to do.

Another good resource for a tuner is ls1 tech.com and post the same question and list location in the title.

The people here can be very helpful, unfortunately not everyone who gets efilive wants to be a super hard core tuner with usb ports in their fingers and logs coming out their umm…ears. They just want to get tuned and hit the track or road or strip. It seems there's a lot of I had to take 2 yrs to learn so should you. I don’t understand how it is acceptable to think that someone is going to take their car out of commission for months or years on end to learn tuning software.

Where I can appreciate being intimate with the program, there is the thought that if there's more help and it's easier to tune, it would propitiate the popularity of efi live its self thus making more knowledgeable people available for more people wanting to learn.

Sometimes people's skills, passions, and patience lie in different areas. I was in heaven fly cutting my pistons and checking my clearances, basically doing the mechanical build part of my car, basically one month on the weekends for a complete engine removal and head cam clutch and reinstall. The last 2 months of tuning have not quite been heaven. I was sold on a pitch of forum support and the software "tuning it's self" especially with the extra lc1 wideband and gauge.

Sort of like headers that "drop right in".:shock:

So, getting philosophical: there's two schools of thought:

Tuning for the sake of tuning and being a tuner :here
and
Tuning for the sake of being a part of the package of driving modding and enjoying the car for what you choose to do with it: not as much here

hquick
June 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I understand where you're coming from but I think the main issue with people saying "just change this or that" is that they don't want to give advice over the internet which may damage all of that hard work you've put into your pride and joy.
Very difficult to tune a vehicle you can't see.
Post a couple of decent logs (like an hour long) and then people may be able to have a better idea of how to help you out.
Best thing s to go through the AutoVE tutorial and follow the procedure...then do a RAFIG/RAFPN and that's be a pretty good start.

One other thing is...alot of the guys on here do this for a living...so you're getting advice you'd normally have to pay for.
If you just want the vehicle tuned and running well.....try someone like 'Blackbear performance'.

joecar
June 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
This forum and this "hobby" is mostly for DIY'ers... there is a steep learning curve involved, and some people cannot afford to spend the huge amount of time required...(many of us DIY'ers may not realize it, but people do have lives...)... in those cases the services of a professional tuner should be sought.

See here: showthread.php?p=73815#post73815 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=73815#post73815)

asbrgb
June 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
i understand where you all are comming from ! and i can deal with it . i needed to know where i stand and where i need to go from here . i do not have a problem learning as well . i just had it in my mind that if i was was willing to PAY for someones hard work that might work out for me . so anyway i will do as suggested and do some data logging . and see what happens
:cheers:

hquick
June 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Cool...post the log and tune when you're done....you'll deffinately get help.

odd boy
June 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Tell us what u want to do, we'll get u on the right track for free. Better deal hmmmm