PDA

View Full Version : Installing the V7.5 Software

Blacky
June 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
To install the EFILive V7.5 software

Download the V7.5 software here:
(http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.5.42_Setup.exe)http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133
Your browser will prompt you to save the file. Select a folder such as:
\My Documents\Downloads
Wait for the download to complete.
Using Windows Explorer, locate the downloaded file and double click on it to start the installation.
Follow the on screen instructions.

What is included in the download:

EFILive Scan Tool: V7.5

EFILive Tuning Tool: V7.5

After Installing:

When the installation has finished, EFILive will check for updates. If EFILive does not automatically check for an update after the initial installation, please select the start menu option: Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check for New Update.

If you are reading this post more than a month after the software was first released in November 2010, then most likely an update will be available and should be installed to ensure you have the most up to date software. The update usually takes 1-2 minutes and will display a message to indicate when it has completed.

Known Installation Issues

When installing on Windows 98 the installer may display two errors during the installation:

You may be prompted to insert the FTDI FTD2XX Drivers disk. In that case, click OK and then select [Skip] to skip the file ftd2xx.cat.
A registry entry may not be able to be set due to inadequate permissions, please select [Ignore] so that the installation can continue.

When installing on Windows Vista or Windows 7 the installer may indicate that the install did not complete successfully and prompt you to confirm. Please select the option that confirms the installation was successful.

Important Information:
Some customers have reported that the EFILive V7.5 software will sometimes fail to detect the FlashScan V2 interface cable after it has been upgraded to V2.5 firmware or later. Usually retrying the operation will allow the software to detect FlashScan and continue. However, you can prevent the error and speed up the cable detection process by changing the cable type in the EFILive V7.5 Scan Tool software.
Change the setting: Edit->Properties->Connections->Preferred interface cable type to EFILive FlashScan V2.5 (HAPI).

Updating your FlashScan/AutoCal Firmware:
After installing the V8 software, open the EFILive Control Panel (aka EFILive Hapi) by starting EFILive Explorer (Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive Explorer).
Once EFILive Explorer is running, the EFILive Control Panel icon (a small image of FlashScan) will appear in the Windows system tray at the end of the Windows task bar.
Click on that icon and select the F6: Firmware option. Click on the [Refresh] button and follow the onscreen instructions to update the firmware.
If you have a FlashScan and an AutoCal connected simultaneously, you may select between them using the list at the top of the window.

trophy_colorado
October 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
i take it the program cannot be run on a mac??

Taz
October 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Pretty sure EFILive can be used on a Mac ... give the following threads a read.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14506-First-post-need-a-q-answered-thanks&highlight=mac

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?13177-running-efi-live-on-a-mac-laptop&highlight=mac

FYI ... this particular thread is a "sticky" ... may have been more appropriate to have posted your question as a new thread.

Regards,
Taz

trophy_colorado
October 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
thanks ill check it out

FUBAR
February 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Quick question. Both V7.5 and V8 should work on Windows XP Professional, right?

Blacky
February 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Quick question. Both V7.5 and V8 should work on Windows XP Professional, right?
Yes, and Win2000 as well.
Regards
Paul

marcoverrocchio
June 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
hello All,

i replaced the old version V7.5.157 with the newest one, 167, i noticed as soon a problem of compatibility of the PID selection i did with the previose on E37 and E78 module, it was able to show much less prameter even if they were not used added PID.
i'm loosing somehting or it's already known problem?

thank u

Blacky
June 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
There have been other similar reports, we are investigating...

To help with our investigation could you please send the *.pid PID selection files that do not show the entire PID list.
Those *.pid files can be found in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDS
Send the files to paul@efilive.com along with a link to this forum post so I know which post the email refers to, thanks.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
What happens when you select the E37 controller using the menu option: File->Select Controller, then select E37 (or any GM controller)?

The issue could be related to the newly added CMB (Cummins diesel) controller.
Once that controller is selected, all of the GM PIDs are no longer valid and only Cummins PIDs are available.
You need to select a GM controller to force EFILive to re-load the GM PIDs.

Regards
Paul

jrh
June 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Paul,

I am not at my desktop PC that was having this problem (and I fixed the problem on that PC by uninstalling and re-installing the software anyway).

Despite that I decided to test this at home on my laptop and I think you might be on to something. I tested this on my laptop by going the other direction. With a GM log file (2010 E38 Camaro SS ECM data) open and graphed, I went to the File->Select Controller option and picked the Cummins Controller. All but the calculated and SAE PIDs disappeared.

I don’t think that should be how the software is configured since if you are viewing a log file I can’t see why you would want to remove data or why selecting the controller type after the fact should impact already logged data.

To make matters worse, when I wanted to see the all the PIDs again, when I went to File->Select Controller and I selected E38 controller, the missing PIDs did not reappear. To get the missing PIDs to display again I had to re-open the same log file. This too does not seem to me to be how the software should be configured.

Jason

What happens when you select the E37 controller using the menu option: File->Select Controller, then select E37 (or any GM controller)?

The issue could be related to the newly added CMB (Cummins diesel) controller.
Once that controller is selected, all of the GM PIDs are no longer valid and only Cummins PIDs are available.
You need to select a GM controller to force EFILive to re-load the GM PIDs.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Paul,

I am not at my desktop PC that was having this problem (and I fixed the problem on that PC by uninstalling and re-installing the software anyway).

Despite that I decided to test this at home on my laptop and I think you might be on to something. I tested this on my laptop by going the other direction. With a GM log file (2010 E38 Camaro SS ECM data) open and graphed, I went to the File->Select Controller option and picked the Cummins Controller. All but the calculated and SAE PIDs disappeared.

I don’t think that should be how the software is configured since if you are viewing a log file I can’t see why you would want to remove data or why selecting the controller type after the fact should impact already logged data.

To make matters worse, when I wanted to see the all the PIDs again, when I went to File->Select Controller and I selected E38 controller, the missing PIDs did not reappear. To get the missing PIDs to display again I had to re-open the same log file. This too does not seem to me to be how the software should be configured.

Jason

Thanks for the info Jason, I didn't realize the PIDs did not come back after selecting a GM controller, working on a fix for it...

Regards
Paul

jrh
June 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Paul,

I just noticed that it also impacts your dashboard. When I changed controllers it removed PIDs I had selected to be in the graph view. Opening up the Dashboard page didn't fix it either until I had first fixed the log file (but changing controllers and re-opening the log file). Then I could select the dashboard page and get my display settings back.

BTW - I posted some of this info in the "sticky" regarding PIDs that is also in this section.

Thanks for the info Jason, I didn't realize the PIDs did not come back after selecting a GM controller, working on a fix for it...

Regards
Paul

wayneosan
July 16th, 2011, 05:59 AM
are these above mentioned issues fixed with 7.57?

joecar
July 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
With 7.5.6.170.

See the downloads page at www.efilive.com

hymey
August 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi guys,

I have sent a msg to support. Just would like to know if anyone else has the issue, I have the latest V.7.5 and then I had to update the bootblock and firmware in v2 so it would connect. Ever since I have done this it asks to relicence all the pcm's I have already tuned with the current cable. (This has happened sometime ago aswell with an old update).

BUT, if I pull the tune with v8 scan and tune and then reflash with v8 it will flash without asking for licence, then for some reason I can flash again with V7.5 with no issues atleast for a few flashes then the problem persists again. I might try using my other laptop with older version for the meantime as I have 5 customers heading to the track on Friday night. Would be great if someone could help BTW it is Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Seams as though I have fixed one problem but another has raised its head .

Regards

Joel

Blacky
August 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Hi guys,

I have sent a msg to support. Just would like to know if anyone else has the issue, I have the latest V.7.5 and then I had to update the bootblock and firmware in v2 so it would connect. Ever since I have done this it asks to relicence all the pcm's I have already tuned with the current cable. (This has happened sometime ago aswell with an old update).

BUT, if I pull the tune with v8 scan and tune and then reflash with v8 it will flash without asking for licence, then for some reason I can flash again with V7.5 with no issues atleast for a few flashes then the problem persists again. I might try using my other laptop with older version for the meantime as I have 5 customers heading to the track on Friday night. Would be great if someone could help BTW it is Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Seams as though I have fixed one problem but another has raised its head .

Regards

Joel

When you say you have the latest version do you have the version that is on the web site (V7.5.7.160) or the version that is available on the forum (7.5.7.168)?
The 168 fixes the problem that you described.

Regards
Paul

hymey
August 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I have version 170, trying 178 now blacky,

thanks

Joel

hymey
August 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Blacky 178 fixed the issues, absolutely flawless on my behalf best its ran in a while. Thanks again.

Joel

johnmaster
September 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I have 170 and selected programs>efilive>v7.5>check for updates, says none available even though 180 is on the website. missing a lot of pids. How do I install the update if it says one doesn't exist?

Blacky
September 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have 170 and selected programs>efilive>v7.5>check for updates, says none available even though 180 is on the website. missing a lot of pids. How do I install the update if it says one doesn't exist?

You need to download the V7.5 and V8 software installations from our web site here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Then you need to double click on the downloaded files to install them.
Make sure you install both V7.5 and V8 and that you use the V8 EFILive_HAPI software to update the firmware in your FlashScan device.

In the previous version release the auto-update caused problems with existing installations.
The auto-update has been switched off until we can fix it and verify that it works correctly.

Regards
Paul

johnmaster
September 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your quick reply, I will try that and let you know how it goes.

johnmaster
September 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I clicked on the website links to download v7.5.7 build 180 and V8.2.1 build 170. Ran V7.5 and it installed no problem over my existing copy. Ran v8.2 and it installed no problem. I plugged in my flashscan V2 and followed the knowledge base article on updating firmware using V8.2 (even though I only use v7.5 for tune/log/scan), successfully updated and now it has 2.07.03 bootblock and 2.07.22 firmware installed. I haven't plugged a vehicle in yet but I selected my controller and so far all is back to good again, PID list is chock full of PID goodness. Now I just have to do this on my other pc... Thank you!

joecar
September 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
PID list is chock full of PID goodness
...That is quotable :cheers:

BLK02WS6
November 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Question - I can download v7.5.7 build 180 and V8.2.1 build 170 from my home computer and transfer the files on a memory stick over to my tuning laptop (I don't have internet connection on it as it has been strickly for tuning) - but, how can I get the updates since they are done through the START menu and the internet now? Thanks!

Tordne
November 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
You can continue to download the full release version from the website and transfer via USB stick.

BLK02WS6
November 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
You can continue to download the full release version from the website and transfer via USB stick.

Okay, thanks - since the instructions tell you to go check for updates after downloading the full release versions, I thought there were seperate updates being applied via the internet...

Tordne
November 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM
There are incremental updates being made available through that mechanism (which is actually broken currently). But we will continue to provide full product versions as well for complete download.

RamAir
August 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
I just got your V2 tuning tool and tried to read my PCM ('02 Trans Am) using the version 7.5 software. The unit indicated that this version is not supported. I tried with the version 8 software and it worked. My question is the guy that tuned my car on his dyno used version 7.5. Can I get version 7.5 to work so there are no compatibility problems?

Blacky
August 1st, 2012, 10:16 AM
I just got your V2 tuning tool and tried to read my PCM ('02 Trans Am) using the version 7.5 software. The unit indicated that this version is not supported. I tried with the version 8 software and it worked. My question is the guy that tuned my car on his dyno used version 7.5. Can I get version 7.5 to work so there are no compatibility problems?

Close the V7 software and select the start menu option:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Check for Updates.

If you're not an on Internet connection, then you can download the updates using a computer that is connected to the Internet from here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Regards
Paul

RamAir
August 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Close the V7 software and select the start menu option:
Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Check for Updates.

If you're not an on Internet connection, then you can download the updates using a computer that is connected to the Internet from here:

Regards
Paul

I tried as you suggested and it indicated that I already had the most recent version installed on my system. Any other ideas?

Blacky
August 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
I tried as you suggested and it indicated that I already had the most recent version installed on my system. Any other ideas?

Make sure you also install the V8 software (and do the check for updates on the V8 software),then run the V8 ScanAndTune software and click on the [Check Firmware] button. That will verify your FlashScan device has the correct firmware and if not will allow you to update it.

Regards
Paul

jonnymoto
November 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Having some difficulty monitoring data (error $80) in the scan tool and was wondering if any of you folks would be able to point me in the right direction.

Was previously using EFI Live Scan/Tune V7.5.5 Build 88 and just installed Scan/Tune 7.5.7 Build 211 on a new computer. Also updated my FlashScan V2 tool firmware to 2.5. I can read DTC's in the scan tool and read the cals on the Duramax LB7 ECM in the tune tool - so I think upgraded version of EFI Live is registered correctly and talking to the ECM, but when I try to monitor data of the Duramax PID I'm getting error $80 (attached). Does this look familiar to anyone out here? Just want to make sure everything is working correctly before I perform a full flash the current stock cals to the DSP5 tunes.

Thx,
Jonathan

joecar
November 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
See post #1 here: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

RevGTO
November 7th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Since installing build 211, when I open the scantool, all PIDs show as unsupported except CALC pids. When I connect to the car, they change over to supported status. Then they log normally (except my LM-1 AFR pid). After I close the program and re-open, they show as unsupported again. I'm using Flashcan V1.

I've validated my PIDs more than once, and the VIN, Operating System, and auto trans show up correctly. What gives?

joecar
November 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Since installing build 211, when I open the scantool, all PIDs show as unsupported except CALC pids. When I connect to the car, they change over to supported status. Then they log normally (except my LM-1 AFR pid). After I close the program and re-open, they show as unsupported again. I'm using Flashcan V1.

I've validated my PIDs more than once, and the VIN, Operating System, and auto trans show up correctly. What gives?When the scantool is opened and not connected to vehicle, try entering the VIN (File->Enter VIN) and selecting the controller (File->Select Controller).

Blacky
November 7th, 2012, 08:12 AM
but when I try to monitor data of the Duramax PID I'm getting error $80
Thx,
Jonathan

It is most likely the same issue as reported/discussed here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20725-Scan-Tool-Error&p=178882#post178882

Regards
Paul

jonnymoto
November 7th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Tracked the issue to an [aftermarket] radio likely throwing noise out onto the CAN bus; pulled the fuse and can now reliably connect to the PCM and read PIDs. Should have ruled that one out before raising the red flag. Thanks for the help nonetheless!

Jonathan

RevGTO
November 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM
When the scantool is opened and not connected to vehicle, try entering the VIN (File->Enter VIN) and selecting the controller (File->Select Controller).I've done this and all non-calc pids continue to show up as unsupported. Every time I open Enter VIN, though, I notice that the operating system window is blank, no matter how many times I enter it. Operating system shows up correctly in the Tune Tool, though.

joecar
November 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I've done this and all non-calc pids continue to show up as unsupported. Every time I open Enter VIN, though, I notice that the operating system window is blank, no matter how many times I enter it. Operating system shows up correctly in the Tune Tool, though.You also have to enter the OS id.

RevGTO
November 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've done so many times over to no effect.

motoxdad
November 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I am having trouble updating my 7.5 & V8. After downloading the latest software, when I go to remove my current 7.5 & V8 I get an error code that says " script file not found" & "uninstall aborted", thanks john

Blacky
November 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
You don't need to uninstall the existing EFILive software. You can install the new software over the old installation.
However, if the old software is half removed and half remaining that could cause problems with the installation of the new software.

Do you know what version of the V7.5 and/or V8 software was that was trying to be uninstalled?

Regards
Paul

motoxdad
November 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
when I tried to install the latest software, a box came up that said the previous version must be removed, my current software is 7.57 build 167 & V8.2.1 build 158, thank you for your help, john

joecar
November 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM
John,

Ok, then do this:
- save the file My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\License.txt someplace,
- (do the same for any thing else you need to save: Bins, Logged Data, Maps, VDash),
- uninstall V7 and V8,
- install V7 build 211 and V8 build 203 ( from downloads page at www.efilive.com ),
- copy the saved License.txt file back to its location
- (copy anything else that you saved back to its correct location).

joecar
November 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Then, check the firmware version in your V2...

if your V2 firmware is earlier than 2.07.xx then see this first: Upgrading-from-older-bootblock-firmware (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20952-Upgrading-from-older-bootblock-firmware)

if your V2 firmware is 2.07.xx then see this: Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?20699-Setting-up-a-FSV2-from-scratch)

motoxdad
November 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
hello, just tried uninstalling & the same error came up, it says"script file not found, uninstall aborted", thanks john

joecar
November 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM
What Windows version are you installing EFILive on...?

motoxdad
November 26th, 2012, 03:24 PM
windows 7 home premium 64

joecar
November 26th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Are you logged in as admin (or otherwise have all admin privileges)...?

Are you installing to the stock install folder...?

You might have to delete the EFILive tree from the registry.

motoxdad
November 26th, 2012, 04:42 PM
it shows me as the admin, how do i delete the Efilive tree?

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Run the program regedit from Start->Run

then starting from the top of the registry search for EFILive, and delete it, then exit regedit

( be careful you don't delete anything else )

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 05:05 AM
going through the start->run, a search box is provided and it could not find Efilive, I also have revo uninstaller & Efilive is not there either?

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 05:07 AM
and going to the windows uninstall both efi & V8 are gone

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Ok, using regedit you have to remove any EFILive keys from the registry

( Start->Run and then enter regedit in the search box )

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM
the only thing I found was efi, no v8

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 05:19 AM
In the registry search for and delete any trees named "EFILive".

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 05:27 AM
thank you, I just had not gone down far enough. I got them all deleted now

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
just an update, I tried to install the new software and was turned down again., still says earlier version is not compatible & must be removed, but when i click ok to remove the same script error appears, thanks john

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
In the Program Files folder delete the folder EFILive.

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM
still have the same errors:wallbash:

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Post a screenshot.

motoxdad
November 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
never done that, what is the easiest way to do it, thanks

joecar
November 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
See post #10 here: Hosting-an-Image (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3064-Hosting-an-Image)

Blacky
November 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
The registry setting that the latest installer uses to figure out if an old version of the software exists is:
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cu rrentVersion\App Paths\EFILive_Tune.exe

It then looks at the version number of the exe that the registry key points to, which will usually be either:
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\EFILive_Tune.exe (on Windows 32 bit systems)
or
\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\EFILive_Tune.exe (on Windows 64 bit systems)

It then looks inside the *.exe file(s) and to determine their version numbers. And based on the version number it finds it may complain that an old version exists and should be uninstalled first.
It will only do that once, because after you've installed the latest version all future updates can be installed over the top of the existing install without uninstalling first.

Either way, if you delete the folder(s) referenced by the three registry keys, then the new installer should not complain that an old version of the software exists.
i.e.
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5
\Program Files\EFILive\V8
or
\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5
\Program Files(x86)\EFILive\V8

Regards
Paul

motoxdad
November 28th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I finally got it done, thanks for all the help, john

Rick Martin
July 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Guys, Any help at all?? I have read this whole forum. Tried uninstalling/ re installing on 2 laptops now. one windows 7 and a windows 8. I have deleted the regedit and still no luck. Same issue on both laptops. all updates done in V8 as well. Sorry if this is not in the right section.

Error report generated by EFILive at 20:23:33 on Jul 31, 2013

Error code: ERR_WIN 0/0
Cannot open file "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt". The system cannot find the file specified

EFILive Version: 7.5.7 (Build 235)

Platform: Windows NT
Version: 6.1 (build 7600)
Processor type: Pentium 1296MHz

Directories
Temporary Cache: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Temporary cache
Logged Data: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Logged data
Customers: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Customers
Configuration: C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration
Exported Data: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Exported data
Images: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Images
Sounds: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Sounds
Maps: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Maps
Pids: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
Virtual Dash: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\VDash
Print Reports: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Print reports
Bug Reports: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Bug reports

Connected: No

Auto connect: No
Scan OBDII info: No

Error retries: 1
Retry delay: 10
Message throttle: 0

Most recently used VIN: 1G1xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Note: 1)

PCM information
Unknown: Unknown
Stream-Slow scan mode: Unknown
Stream-Fast scan mode: Unknown
Maximum dynamic packets: Unknown

Most recent communication with vehicle:

Report ID: 175530 (Note: 2)

Notes:
(1) The VIN sequence number is not required for this report and for your privacy it is NOT included in this report.

(2)The report ID is a checksum of the report text and is used to verify the integrity of the report.

joecar
July 31st, 2013, 03:05 AM
Hi RM,

. . .
Cannot open file "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Document s\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt". The system cannot find the file specified
. . .

in the scantool do this:
Edit->Properties->Folders and look carefully at the field for User Configuration... it should be identical to the path preceding calc_pids.txt in that error message...
click Browse and browse to that same path and click Ok;

if the path is identical (you browsed to it and set it), then check that your Windows login account has privileges to access (read/write) files/directories located within system directories.

joecar
July 31st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Actually, look at the spelling of " \Document s\ " vs "\Documents \"

( see the position of the space before vs after the "s" )

. . .
Cannot open file "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Document s\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration\calc_pids.txt". The system cannot find the file specified

EFILive Version: 7.5.7 (Build 235)

Platform: Windows NT
Version: 6.1 (build 7600)
Processor type: Pentium 1296MHz

Directories
Temporary Cache: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Temporary cache
Logged Data: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Logged data
Customers: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Customers
Configuration: C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Configuration
Exported Data: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Exported data
Images: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Images
Sounds: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Sounds
Maps: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Maps
Pids: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\PIDs
Virtual Dash: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\VDash
Print Reports: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Print reports
Bug Reports: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Documents \EFILive\V7.5\Bug reports
. . .

Blacky
July 31st, 2013, 11:39 AM
Actually, look at the spelling of " \Document s\ " vs "\Documents \"

( see the position of the space before vs after the "s" )

I think those spaces are just an artifact of copy/paste between EFILive's error report screen and the forum. I'm not sure why it happens.

See image below for an example.

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
ah, ok... ( I thought I was onto something :) )

DWS6
September 26th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I am having a problem after upgrading to 7.5 from 7.3 using a V1. Car was tuned on 7.3 and after upgrading I read the PCM data into 7.5 with a different computer and the car ran poorly afterwards. poor idle ect. I did the same thing with reading the PCM again with 7.3 and the car ran flawless. To make things interesting I did the same thing with my cousins car and his did the same exact thing. Ran poorly after the reading with 7.5 and ran fine after reading with 7.3. Neither car was written to so why would this make the car run differently? My cousins car was originally tuned using HP tuners where mine was tuned using 7.3

Thoughts?

joecar
September 27th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I am having a problem after upgrading to 7.5 from 7.3 using a V1. Car was tuned on 7.3 and after upgrading I read the PCM data into 7.5 with a different computer and the car ran poorly afterwards. poor idle ect. I did the same thing with reading the PCM again with 7.3 and the car ran flawless. To make things interesting I did the same thing with my cousins car and his did the same exact thing. Ran poorly after the reading with 7.5 and ran fine after reading with 7.3. Neither car was written to so why would this make the car run differently? My cousins car was originally tuned using HP tuners where mine was tuned using 7.3

Thoughts?You only read the PCM...?

After reading, did you turn off ignition key and wait at least 20 seconds...?

DWS6
September 27th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Correct. Only read and yes both were rebooted

DWS6
September 27th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Both cars were effected by idle issues only from what we can tell

Blacky
September 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
After reading a controller, the RAM is erased and some values are reset to zero and some are reloaded from defaults stored in flash memory, exactly as would happen if/when the battery was disconnected and reconnected. I.e. the PCM is "rebooted". That can cause all sorts of learned values to be lost and require relearning. To verify if that is the case, wait until the values are learned again, maybe after 2-3 days of driving. Then remove battery power from the PCM , wait 1-2 minutes and reconnect the battery. If you experience the same results then that should explain what is happening.

Regards
Paul

Chevy366
September 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have noticed that since the .ctz file change that when I re-flash either with a full or cal only flash that the engine runs rough on idle for quite a while, several stop and start and idle events, not what is use to do with the older software, I could flash either full or cal and it would on start up, stumble for 2 or 3 seconds and then went right back to idling as before flash. Is there something that has changed in the software and what it erases now? In both events the SRT was reset and had to relearn its part but it seems that the newer software erases something different.
Just a observation. Oh and have done the battery cable off believe it or not and it would learn idle in a short while, not like the rough idle event described above. It does finally relearn idle but it takes a lot longer than the older flashes use to. I only have 54,000 miles so not a high mileage occurrence with worn out parts.

Blacky
September 29th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I have noticed that since the .ctz file change that when I re-flash either with a full or cal only flash that the engine runs rough on idle for quite a while, several stop and start and idle events, not what is use to do with the older software, I could flash either full or cal and it would on start up, stumble for 2 or 3 seconds and then went right back to idling as before flash. Is there something that has changed in the software and what it erases now? In both events the SRT was reset and had to relearn its part but it seems that the newer software erases something different.
Just a observation. Oh and have done the battery cable off believe it or not and it would learn idle in a short while, not like the rough idle event described above. It does finally relearn idle but it takes a lot longer than the older flashes use to. I only have 54,000 miles so not a high mileage occurrence with worn out parts.

Nothing about the reflash process has changed in V7.5 for years.
The V8 reflash process has been updated from time to time but as for what gets erased and what gets re-written, nothing has changed (that I know about) in that regard since day 1.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
September 29th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Thoughts?

Do you still have the *.blx trace files from when you read the vehicles? If so can you zip them up and send them to me at paul@efilive.com with a link to this thread so I know what they are about.
More info on finding the *.blx files here: http://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=8254-QOGC-9586 (towards the end of the page).

Regards
Paul

statesman
September 30th, 2013, 12:30 AM
After reading a controller, the RAM is erased and some values are reset to zero and some are reloaded from defaults stored in flash memory, exactly as would happen if/when the battery was disconnected and reconnected. I.e. the PCM is "rebooted". That can cause all sorts of learned values to be lost and require relearning. To verify if that is the case, wait until the values are learned again, maybe after 2-3 days of driving. Then remove battery power from the PCM , wait 1-2 minutes and reconnect the battery. If you experience the same results then that should explain what is happening.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul. I'm fairly new to the world of efilive. Having only had my flashscan V2 for a bit over a month, I don't really know how the flashscan worked on older versions of the software but I do know that I'm experiencing the same problem as the others have outlined.

Basically, when I flash my PCM the trims go to sleep... and don't want to wake up. I've driven the car around for hours after a flash and then hooked up the flashscan, gone into the scanning software and had a look at Calibration>Long term fuel trim cells and found all zeros.

I did find a workaround to this problem. What I found was that if you leave the flashscan and laptop hooked up to the car after flashing the PCM, and then go for a short drive logging the LTFTs in the scanning software, it forces the trims to wake up. A 2-3 minute drive is all it takes... the trims are then all working and the engine is noticeably happier.

EDIT: I should also mention that when I do this workaround, I turn the key to ignition, connect the scanning software, start the logging session and then start the car. I don't know if it makes any difference whether you start the car before or after you start logging... but it might, so I thought I'd post this additional information for anyone who has the same problem and wants to try this workaround.

BlackOut08
December 4th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Forum and EFI Live and I am having trouble getting V7.5 to open on my computer. I am running Windows 8 through Parallels on a Mac, and keep getting the below error after installing.

I have tried to uninstall and install several times but keep getting the same message. V8 installed and is working fine, but I cant open neither V7.5 program (tune nor scan). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

joecar
December 4th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The path is not correct...

Can you locate the folder EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration on your PC...?

When you located it, move it to the path you showed above.

Then start the V7 scantool, go Edit->Properties->Folders and set each folder's correct actual path.

joecar
December 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM
When you installed, were you logged in as admin, does admin have write privileges to the Documents folder...?

joecar
December 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Your Documents folder being buried under C:\Windows\system32 is not correct...

it should be somewhere under C:\Documents and Settings.

BlackOut08
December 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I should have been logging in as the admin as I carry the only profile on this computer, if that is what you are asking...

BlackOut08
December 4th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I am not sure why the file path was the way it was in the post above...The actual error message is

Cannot open file
“\\psf\home\documents\EFILive\V7.5\User
Configure\calc_pids.txt”. The system cannot find the file specified

any thoughts on this one...

BlackOut08
December 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
So I tracked down the file directory that it was saying it couldn't be found, along with another directory that was in "documents", and neither file had a calc_pids.txt in it, but rather a cal_favorites.txt

joecar
December 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
On my PC the path to calc_pids.txt is this:

My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

Are you installing on a network drive...?

Can you reinstall on your C: drive.

BlackOut08
December 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
On my PC the path to calc_pids.txt is this:

My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

Are you installing on a network drive...?

Can you reinstall on your C: drive.

It seems that when I installed the software it created both a file set in the my documents section of my Windows 8 virtual desktop and one in my "home, Z: drive. I am not sure if this happened because I am running a vital desktop on my mac or not. I have tested the connectivity of the files and it seems that they are mirrored. When I add a file on the "documents" directory within windows 8, it populates the same file in the mirrored directory on the "home Z drive". When I downloaded the software for the nth time, it still would not create the calc_pids.txt file that it was looking for; so I, not sure if it was the right decision or not, created the file calc_pids.txt in the mirror folders and I got the software to open. It seem to me the the network file is there to retain info between the mac and the virtual machine, but I am not a comp science major so I could be wrong. Long story made short, I create the blank calc_pids.txt file V7.5 was looking for to get the program open, but I am still learning the ropes of both the software and my newly acquired V2. What exactly is the calc_pids.txt file used for, and do I need to have someone send me a good file to use with cummins tuning?

lsxperformance
July 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
So I am stuck in demo in 7.5 it says I need to register the the cable and is not recognizing the v2. I need to register this stuff I know but don't have the box it came with please help!! The original computer crashed.. Tryin to get up and running again.

Blacky
July 8th, 2014, 03:05 PM
So I am stuck in demo in 7.5 it says I need to register the the cable and is not recognizing the v2. I need to register this stuff I know but don't have the box it came with please help!! The original computer crashed.. Tryin to get up and running again.

If you have your FlashScan connected before starting the V7.5 software it will not be in demo mode.

To get rid of demo mode when you don't have FlashScan connected you need to enter you registration details. If you don't know your registration details, send your FlashScan serial number and auth code as per these instructions (https://support.efilive.com/kb_article.php?ref=2143-YUOG-8049) to me (at paul@efilive.com) and I'll send you your registration details.

Regards
Paul

TimF818
September 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I'm having the same problem as BlackOut08. I've been trying to figure this out for a solid week now and I'm pretty frustrated. Can anyone dumb it down for me as I'm not very computer savvy but willing to learn. I'm running Windows XP on my Mac with Parallels. V8 build 286 runs fine, V7.5 build 293 gives me this error code. Any help is much appreciated.

Blacky
September 30th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I'm having the same problem as BlackOut08. I've been trying to figure this out for a solid week now and I'm pretty frustrated. Can anyone dumb it down for me as I'm not very computer savvy but willing to learn. I'm running Windows XP on my Mac with Parallels. V8 build 286 runs fine, V7.5 build 293 gives me this error code. Any help is much appreciated.

Make sure no EFILive software is running.
Try deleting all the folders that are configured in V7's registry. To do that run regedit: click Start->Run..., type regedit into the box and click Ok.
Then navigate to and delete the key and everything it contains: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5\Properti es\Dir
Start EFILive V7 Scan Tool, it will recreate that registry entry based on your Windows user configuration.

If it still fails, chances are the files/folders that should be in the \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\ folder does not exist. In that case you could try manually copying all the default folders and their files
from here: \Program Files\EFIive\V7.5\Installation Defaults\
to here: \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\

Regards
Paul

TimF818
October 5th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Thank you Paul for your quick response. I deleted and uninstalled everything V7, reinstalled V7.5 in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\EFILive, For some reason it likes it there and just needed to copy files to Z:\EFILive\, that's the Parallels file. I also had to add a "s" to the cal_pids.txt file because it came up "pid" and not "pids" Must be miscommunication with Windows, Parallells & Mac. All good now, thank you again.

Blacky
October 5th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Just for reference the folders that V7 uses are determined from the registry keys:

\Program Files is determined by:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\ProgramFilesDir

\My Documents is determined by:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal

--------------------------------

Compare that with the V8 software (on Windows Vista and above) that uses the following method to determine the appropriate folders:

SHGetKnownFolderPath(FOLDERID_ProgramFiles,...)

SHGetKnownFolderPath(FOLDERID_Documents,...)

Windows FOLDERID definitions are listed here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378457%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

--------------------------------

And lastly, when installing V8 (on Windows XP) the following are used:

ShGetSpecialFolderPath(...,CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES,... )

ShGetSpecialFolderPath(...,CSIDL_PERSONAL,...)

Windows CSIDL definitions are listed here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762494%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Regards
Paul

joecar
October 5th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks, those are useful registry paths to know :cheers:

Mrbowtie26
October 8th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Sorry if this has been asked but what are the laptop requirements for running efi live ? I want to pick up a new cheap small laptop just for efi live. Is 4 gigs of memory and a dual core processor sufficient or should I get a faster processor and more memory like 8 gigs ? I believe I've read that Windows 10 is compatible so that shouldn't be an issue
Thanks

Blacky
October 8th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Dual core is fine.
4 Gigs is probably not enough - even for just running Windows. I recommend 8 Gigs.

Regards
Paul

Mrbowtie26
October 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Dual core is fine.
4 Gigs is probably not enough - even for just running Windows. I recommend 8 Gigs.

Regards
Paul

Thanks appreciate the info

Mrbowtie26
October 11th, 2016, 10:25 AM
So question...I ordered a laptop (asus x540sa) with Windows 10. It only has 4 gigs of ram but I figured ok np I'll upgrade it to 8. I got the laptop, set everything up and then went to the crucial site to see what type of ram I have to order and it said my memory is soldered on board and im not able to upgrade even though on amazon it said it was upgradable to 8.... any chance this laptop can be used for efi live and nothing else ? It has a 1.6 ghz quad core processor.

Blacky
October 11th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It will still work with EFILive no problem with 4GB. EFILive does not require anywhere near 4GB, it should never need more than about 200MB of memory.

The largest memory requirement of EFILive is when loading large log files, here's some numbers to help put it into perspective...
The EFILive software only uses about 200MB when displaying a 500,000 frame log file. A 500,000 frame log file is about 3.5 hours of continuous data logging.

I just recommended 8GB because Windows itself works better/smoother/faster with more memory.

Regards
Paul

Mrbowtie26
October 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
It will still work with EFILive no problem with 4GB. EFILive does not require anywhere near 4GB, it should never need more than about 200MB of memory.

The largest memory requirement of EFILive is when loading large log files, here's some numbers to help put it into perspective...
The EFILive software only uses about 200MB when displaying a 500,000 frame log file. A 500,000 frame log file is about 3.5 hours of continuous data logging.

I just recommended 8GB because Windows itself works better/smoother/faster with more memory.

Regards
Paul
Thanks again I appreciate it !

04jimc
February 14th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Having trouble installing v7.5 on a microsoft surface pro 2 using windows 8.1. Downloads the whole way, then comes up 'This App can't run on your PC' when you click the setup download. What are we doing wrong?

Blacky
February 14th, 2017, 02:30 PM
These are the system requirements for installing the V7.5 software:

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
February 14th, 2017, 03:37 PM
You have Windows SmartScreen enabled. Either reduce the level in the Windows OS or right click the setup file, at the very bottom you'll see a "Security" section. Check the "Unblock" checkbox, click OK, double click to run. It will work just fine. You will need to do this on any future updates (and for a bunch of other apps).

I find it's a headache, so I personally disable it. I would not recommend this unless you are an experienced user who knows how to deal with potential virus/malware issues.

Good to know those are the minimum requirements! :) 100MB of RAM, don't get too crazy here Paul!

Blacky
February 14th, 2017, 03:44 PM
:) 100MB of RAM, don't get too crazy here Paul!

No one should ever need more than 640KB on their PC :)

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 16th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Remember in the late 1970's when the TRS80 came with 4KB RAM, and Tandy/RS offered an upgrade to 16KB... everyone said "why do you need so much memory?"

:doh2:

comnrailpwr
November 12th, 2020, 11:59 AM
installed the latest version of efilive. now getting this error on v7.5 tune tool. all else seems to work correctly. any ideas? this is the first update i have done since upgrading my machine to windows 10. the pervious version worked correctly without issues after the windows update. i am an admin and only user on this PC. 23584

GMPX
November 12th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Although you are admin are you running the software as admin ?
Try right clicking on the EFILive V7 icon and select "Run as admin" to see if that cures it.

comnrailpwr
November 12th, 2020, 12:25 PM
Yes I am https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201112/c2ded015d4140d8ced64cba993f3398e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

comnrailpwr
November 12th, 2020, 12:28 PM
I tried uninstalling and re installing a few times. I deleted efilive from registry editor. And re installed software. Nothing seems to work. I'm stumped and usually pretty good at this stuff.

comnrailpwr
November 12th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Just installed on my windows tablet without issues so it must me my pc doing something screwy. What is the best way to completely wipe efilive off my pc and start fresh? Only thing I care to keep are my scripts which I can make a backup and move over to the fresh installed folder. That's about all I know to do unless you all got another option.

Blacky
November 12th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Try this..

https://service.efilive.com/kb/articles/cannot-create-file-c-program-files-x86-efilive-v7-5-configuration-access-is-denied

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 12th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Try this..

https://service.efilive.com/kb/articles/cannot-create-file-c-program-files-x86-efilive-v7-5-configuration-access-is-denied

Regards
Paul

But obviously for the folder that you are having security issues with - instead of the folder shown in that article.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 12th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Just installed on my windows tablet without issues so it must me my pc doing something screwy. What is the best way to completely wipe efilive off my pc and start fresh? Only thing I care to keep are my scripts which I can make a backup and move over to the fresh installed folder. That's about all I know to do unless you all got another option.

Uninstall V7
Then delete the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5
Then re-install V7

Regards
Paul

comnrailpwr
November 13th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Checked permissions. All hass full access. Deleted registry. Re installed and same issues. I can right click in the user config folder and creat new text documents so my account does have access to write to the folder. I checked and made sure their are no encryptions of any kind. Next step I guess is install software on my external hard drive and see if that works.

Blacky
November 13th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Can you right-click on the desktop shortcut for EFILive V7.5 Tune and add /l (space, forwards slash, lower case L) to the command line and click [OK]
Then start the V7 tune tool software via the short cut using the right-click->"Run as administrator" option), that should create a log file called: \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\StartupLog.txt
After you get the error, take a look in that file using Notepad and see if any additional information in that file helps to identify the cause.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 13th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Like this:

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 13th, 2020, 04:00 PM
One other thing to try, if you have virus checking software, try disabling it (temporarily) and see if that allows EFILive to create/save the files that it needs to.
We have had other customers report problems caused by antivirus software preventing files from being created/updated.
Regards
Paul

comnrailpwr
November 14th, 2020, 04:48 PM
Nailed it paul. Thank you. Something with my antivirus software (free version of avast) is causing the issues. what is weird is it's the same I have had for several years. it appears to be affecting the pc differently now that I upgraded my machine to windows 10. Any recommended antivirus software?

Blacky
November 14th, 2020, 11:57 PM
Nailed it paul. Thank you. Something with my antivirus software (free version of avast) is causing the issues. what is weird is it's the same I have had for several years. it appears to be affecting the pc differently now that I upgraded my machine to windows 10. Any recommended antivirus software?

It's not cheap, but...
https://www.eset.com/nz/home/antivirus/

(https://www.eset.com/nz/home/antivirus/)That's the New Zealand link, you'll probably want to go to the link for the US version - which I can't easily get, since it keeps redirecting me to NZ.

Doh!
https://www.eset.com/

comnrailpwr
November 15th, 2020, 01:46 AM
Tha ks. Signed up for 3 year. It's not bad when you only need to protect 1 device.

GMPX
November 15th, 2020, 09:28 AM
Something with my antivirus software (free version of avast)
Free software or free apps means you and your data become the product.:doh2:
ESET is very good, it has become a little bit bloated over the years as they add more gimmick functions but it only uses about 100Mb of RAM when running so very lightweight on a modern PC.

comnrailpwr
November 15th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Good to know. I got it up and running. $100 usd for 3 years imo is worth it if it prevents headaches.

carbsdate
November 29th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Thank you for the update. I think that the price is fair.

joecar
November 29th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Thank you for the update. I think that the price is fair.

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?

Your response makes no sense...!!!

_dieseltuner
February 9th, 2021, 04:59 AM
I am having an issue where the new v7.5 editor I cannot see the option for DTC codes. I can see them on a older version on another computer. Is there a way to fix this or something I am doing wrong?

Blacky
February 9th, 2021, 11:28 AM
I am having an issue where the new v7.5 editor I cannot see the option for DTC codes. I can see them on a older version on another computer. Is there a way to fix this or something I am doing wrong?

Which ECM type and which operating system?

It may be a USA locale based EPA restriction or it may be that you need to have your V2 connected prior to starting the V7 tune tool software.

Regards
Paul