PDA

View Full Version : Ecm in unknown state

HotRodSS
June 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hello,
I was attempting to do a full reflash on my 2003 LB7, about 125k in it stopped progressing, and was giving the attempting to remove block message about every 28 seconds. It appears my pc was having trouble communicating with the flashscan, because I was getting that error message some while retrying. The next time I got it to work it got about 312k in and stopped. So I started over again got connection, but this time it only got 3k in and stopped while the redlight was on...... I think that my connection issue was caused by using the lastest EFI release from the website, but using the usb drivers from the cd. That being said, when I try to do a full reflash now it ends up saying "the ecm is in an unknown state" and a box pops up and gives me a bootloader error message. If I have the high speed on the bootloader error message says it can't communicate with the ecm. If I have the high speed off it gives me the bootloader error; reason $12. I have tried putting in the ecm seed, and also the $FFFF and it still can't seem to unlock it. According to the led on my flashscan it is still communicating with the ecm just fine(4 flash/sec or so). I have not disconnected the batteries yet either, the ecm has had power the whole time. I have searched the forums here and dieselplace and haven't found exactly what I was looking for, perhaps I am missing something or someone has some more ideas, because I am out of them. Please :help2:

Thanks in advance

vortecfcar
June 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Matthew,

I will send a replacement ECM out today if the gurus agree the stocker is unrecoverable. I'm really curious to hear the programmer's take on what may have happened.

Nick

Blacky
June 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
If you are seeing 4 flashes per second that could be the ECM waiting for a program, or (in the worst case), it could be other modules searching for the now dead ECM.

If you have not already done so, update your software to the latest release V7.5.4 from here: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx

Then try full-flashing again. If that does not work then you are probably out of luck.

Regards
Paul

HotRodSS
June 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Can the ECM be "dead" and still show a good connection status and be able to display the seed key? What about those bootloader errors?

Blacky
June 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Can the ECM be "dead" and still show a good connection status and be able to display the seed key? What about those bootloader errors?

If you can get any response/data from the ECM then EFILive should be able to read or program it.

Try reading the calibrations from the ECM and if it fails, locate the file:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug Reports\Upload_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.blx
where:
YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day
and:
HHMMSS is the hour, minute and second
that you attempted to read the controller.

Please send that file to me at paul@efilive.com and
include a link to this message so that I can correlate
your file with this message.

That file will tell me exactly what state the ECM is in.

Regards
Paul

HotRodSS
July 1st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Files sent

Blacky
July 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Files sent
Sorry busy day, looking at them now...
Paul

Blacky
July 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately it is not good news. Your ECM is brain dead.
The only recovery for it now is to remove the flash chip, reprogram it and replace the flash chip.

Jesse at Wait4Me (www.wait4meperformance.com) can perform that for you. I think the charge is around $50. Contact Jesse and see what he can do.

Or you may be able to find a replacement PCM at a wreckers or on ebay. If you do replace the PCM let me know and I'll work something out so that you're not out of pocket on the FlashScan PCM license for the dead controller.

Regards
Paul