PDA

View Full Version : E38 Pid selection

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
The PID selection for the E38 seems somewhat limited compared to what was available for my C5.

Can someone post up a PID selection so I can compare? Perhaps I'm not using the right PCM serial #.

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM
No one out there willing to help out a brutha?

GMPX
July 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
How many do you have to select from? Off the top of my head I would have thought a couple of hundred would show. Certainly all the main PID's you would need for tuning are there.
Is there a specific thing you are after that your C5 had?

Cheers,
Ross

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I don't have the option to select any PIDs under "Air" or "O2". SO I can't log MAF, DYNAIR. Can't see if the O2s are switching.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I had a good understanding of how things worked with my C5 PCM and V1.

GMPX
July 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Change the 'System' drop down list to show all, currently it is only showing DMA PID's for the E38.

Cheers,
Ross

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Switched to "All" and the list is exatly the same.

The only PID categories which show anything available are "E38", "Performance", and "External".

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
When I select "Default Imperial PID" list, "All", you can see what PIDs are valid.

johnsZ06
July 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
And why does it say I have 22 PIDs selected when it clearly shows 4.

BTW, this is the rest of the above selection after I scrolled down.

GMPX
July 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Did you try to force a PID revalidation?
Connect scantool to ECM then Shift+F2.

Cheers,
Ross

johnsZ06
July 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
No, I'll try that tonight.

Thanks Ross.

joecar
July 8th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Uncheck "Supported".

johnsZ06
July 8th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Uncheck "Supported".

That seems counter intuitive but I'll give anything a try.

joecar
July 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM
That's where your other 18 selected pids are hiding.

johnsZ06
July 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I'm cooking with grease now. Thanks Ross and Joe.

I seem to have another problem though and that is, everytime I open the scan tool, I have to revalidate the PIDs. I saved my PID selection but that didn't help.

What am I doing wrong now? :nixweiss:

joecar
July 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Have you entered both of these:
- your PCM type (File->Select Controller),
- your VIN/OS (File->Enter VIN).

johnsZ06
July 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Have you entered both of these:
- your PCM type (File->Select Controller),
- your VIN/OS (File->Enter VIN).

Yes, that was one of the first things I had done.

johnsZ06
July 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Any ideas?

joecar
July 9th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I seem to have another problem though and that is, everytime I open the scan tool, I have to revalidate the PIDs. I saved my PID selection but that didn't help.John,

What do you see...? Post a screenshot.

johnsZ06
July 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
First screen shot is after I identify the PCM. Ignition on, V2 connected.

Second screen I validate PIDs.

Third screen is after I click supported.

joecar
July 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://forum.efilive.com/sendmessage.php)
I can't view your first pic... does it have red X's thru the pids...?

johnsZ06
July 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Yea, I got the order screwed up. Basically, you get the idea.

johnsZ06
July 9th, 2008, 11:57 AM
When I mfirst connect I get 4 PIDs and everything else is red Xs. Then I validate and I get about 20 more.

johnsZ06
July 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Another weird thing. I have Commanded AFR PID selected but it won't display when I scan. It shows supported so I'm at a loss. :nixweiss:

joecar
July 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Leave "Supported" unchecked.

johnsZ06
July 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
So, am I nuts or does there appear to be a problem?

joecar
July 10th, 2008, 03:32 AM
It seems the scantool should be remembering that the pids have been validated.

It seems that some supported pids are hidden when "Supported" is checked.

I pm'd tech support.

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I thought I was loosing my marbles. The last thing I wanted to do was sit down and read the manual. That's like asking for directions. Ain't gonna happen. :hihi:

Well, maybe as a last resort. :bangin:

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I performed self test of the V2 and everything passed.

joecar
July 10th, 2008, 04:21 AM
The last thing I wanted to do was sit down and read the manual. That's like asking for directions. Ain't gonna happen.

Well, maybe as a last resort.

Hi John,

I respectfully have to disagree with you there (LOL...based on the experience of being married for 17.5 years...)...:hihi:...

asking for directions means that your wife egged you on into admitting to a stranger in public that you don't know what you're doing...
and then you either don't understand his directions or they are simply wrong...:doh2:

Reading the manual is very unlike asking for directions in public... it's much more "private"
(keeps your dignity intact, and you are alone with your thoughts, a much saner environment...:hihi:...)... :cheers:

I prefer reading/googling a map and reading a manual... ;)

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I printed a manual back during the V1 days and it sat so long, the pages stuck together. :lol:

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
When you validate the PIDs (Shift+F2) the list of valid PIDs is saved in a file called \My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\PIDs\XXXXXXXXX_X_nn.vpl
where:
XXXXXXXXX_X is the first 11 digits of the VIN, excluding the 10th digit.
nn is either 10, 11 or 18 depending on if you validated PIDs from a PCM, ECM or TCM respectively.
the .vpl extension means Validate PID List.

So please check that file has been created and post it in this thread so I can check it.

When you restart EFILive, it looks for the most recently used VIN and loads the validated PIDs from the matching *.vpl file. That means if you open a log file from a different vehicle or even from a different controller in the same vehicle (i.e. the trans) then the list of valid PIDs will be changed to reflect the PIDs from the controller of the most recently loaded log file.

Try validating the PIDs, closing the EFILive software, check the *.vpl file, then restart the EFILive software and make sure the PIDs from the *.vpl file are valid.

Regards
Paul

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
When I try to upload it, it says "Invalid File"

I can see it in Explorer though.

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
When I click on the PID, I get this error. I looked at the path and the file is there. Although, I'm not sure if itr's the current version - 6-26-08 - 6:45.

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm getting smarter in my old age...:doh2:

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Looking at the two screen shots provided, looks like EFILive is confusing the V7 install and the V7.5 install.

I recommend deleting the EFILive V7 and V7.5 registry settings and allowing EFILive to recreate them correctly. To do that:

1. Exit from all EFILive software
2. Click Start->Run, enter regedit and click Ok.
3. Navigate to the registry key: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7 and delete it and all its subkeys.
4. Navigate to the registry key: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5 and delete it and all its subkeys.
5. Close regedit.
6. Restart the V7.5 Scan Tool.

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Will he have to go Edit->Properties->Folders and change all instances of V7 to V7.5...?

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 01:43 PM
OK...I did what you requested. I went out to the car, hooked it up, opened the scan tool, filled out the VIN info etc. Connected to the vehicle, verified the PIDs and none of the PIDs would come into focus. Nothing changed. I checked the PID file and it was saved but when I clicked on it, it said PCM not recognized and wanted me to select a VIN from the drop-down box, none of which were mine.

OK, what sayeth thee now Paul? :doh2::laugh:

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Will he have to go Edit->Properties->Folders and change all instances of V7 to V7.5...?

I checked and everything is referenced to 7.5.

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I know you guys like a challenge.

Sorry Paul to make you work overtime. :throw:

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Would this have anything to do with BBL? I downloaded V8.1 and installed it.

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM

No, deleting the registry settings will do that automatically.
Paul

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Would this have anything to do with BBL? I downloaded V8.1 and installed it.
No, V8 and V7.5 have no files/folders or settings in common.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
When I click on the PID, I get this error. I looked at the path and the file is there. Although, I'm not sure if itr's the current version - 6-26-08 - 6:45.

The screen shot shown in this post you made shows that it is looking for files in the V7 folder instead of the V7.5 folder.
To correct that, have you deleted the registry settings like I explained earlier?

Regards
Paul

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The screen shot shown in this post you made shows that it is looking for files in the V7 folder instead of the V7.5 folder.
To correct that, have you deleted the registry settings like I explained earlier?

Regards
Paul

Paul, I deleted everything in the V7 registry but when I went back and looked at it, it had the same files that are in 7.5.

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's getting late here and I need to go to bed. Maybe tomorrow I'll just delete both revs of Live and reload from scratch.

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Paul, I deleted everything in the V7 registry but when I went back and looked at it, it had the same files that are in 7.5.

Not sure by what you mean "it had the same files as 7.5". The registry only has data values in it not files.
You need to delete *everything* from V7 and V7.5, see screen shot.

Blacky
July 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
It's getting late here and I need to go to bed. Maybe tomorrow I'll just delete both revs of Live and reload from scratch.

One thing to remember when reinstalling from scratch is the registry settings may not be automatically deleted and may carry over from one install to the next. If you are looking for a 100% clean install, delete the registry keys after uninstalling.

If you are going to re-install, a new version of the software is being uploaded to the web site tonight, so it might be a good opportunity to install that version.

Regards
Paul

johnsZ06
July 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Last night, I did delete both keys. Both folders and their contents. When I restarted the scan tool and filled in the info, I went back and looked at registry and both folders V7 and V7.5 were there with what appeared to be identical contents.

I'll try the installing the new rev tonight.

Thanks for your support! :cheers:

johnsZ06
July 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Update...

I deleted everything and reloaded the latest version of V7.5 that was posted. Nothing has changed.

It looks like I have 18 pids to choose from. I guess it's a moot point since I will do most of my logging using BBL.

Another thing I noticed. I can log AFR in BBL mode but it doesn't show on the laptop.

Blacky
July 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Update...

I deleted everything and reloaded the latest version of V7.5 that was posted. Nothing has changed.

It looks like I have 18 pids to choose from. I guess it's a moot point since I will do most of my logging using BBL.

Another thing I noticed. I can log AFR in BBL mode but it doesn't show on the laptop.

Maybe you have misunderstood what a supported PID is and what a selected PID is.

An unsupported, unselected PID is displayed with a grey icon with a cross through it.
An unsupported, selected PID is displayed with a colored icon with a cross through it.
You are not interested in unsupported PIDs - i.e. those PIDs (colored or grey) that have a cross through them

A supported, unselected PID is displayed with a grey icon without a cross through it.
A supported, selected PID is displayed with a colored icon without a cross through it.
Basically you are interested in supported PIDs - i.e. those PIDs (colored or grey) that do not have a cross through them.

To select supported PID, double click on it and its icon will turn colored. To un-select a PID double click on it and its icon will turn grey.

Regards
Paul

johnsZ06
July 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the help. I guess I should have posted in the scan section. You have to forgive me but, I don't get out much.

Everything seems to be working pretty good at the moment and with BBL, I no longer have to worry about PID selection from the laptop.