PDA

View Full Version : Flashscan vs HPTuners? Upgrade from EFILive

Iv_z28
November 14th, 2004, 06:10 PM
So, with Flashscan released -looks to be a great product, BTW , I guess the very first q. I have is - why should I pay $350 to upgrade from my EFILive Pro if I can upgrade to HP Tuners for $250. I know it's a tough question, and sorry to bring this up, but, as the old man said, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks..
So far it appears that for extra $100 I get black-box logging capability and ability to more or less easily hook up a WB sensor (which I don't have, at least currently)...

I guess it would be worth explaining in details what are the reasons to go with Flashscan, and NOT HPtuners.. - I would guess a lot of people are trying to answer the same question right now.

Black02SS
November 14th, 2004, 06:34 PM
It is $350 if you choose to get the EIO (wideband) cable. Also, you are allowed to pick any TWO vehicle types, ie. 99 Fbody/02 Fbody... Sure does make the decision process that much harder IMO. I own Edit, so essiently I "could" trade in Edit for $450, keep my efilive and still be able to tune two different types.

Delco
November 14th, 2004, 07:26 PM
So, with Flashscan released -looks to be a great product, BTW , I guess the very first q. I have is - why should I pay $350 to upgrade from my EFILive Pro if I can upgrade to HP Tuners for $250. I know it's a tough question, and sorry to bring this up, but, as the old man said, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks..
So far it appears that for extra $100 I get black-box logging capability and ability to more or less easily hook up a WB sensor (which I don't have, at least currently)...

I guess it would be worth explaining in details what are the reasons to go with Flashscan, and NOT HPtuners.. - I would guess a lot of people are trying to answer the same question right now.

The short answer is HP tuners are running scared , price cutting to try and keep there market.

Superior products cost $$$

GMPX
November 14th, 2004, 07:49 PM

The reason we decided to release our demo was to highlight to people what we believe is a much better package to use and look at. There is nothing better than a try before you buy.

EFILive scantool is certainly considered amongst the LS1 crowd as the best scantool, from what I have seen the Scantools offered by the other tuning packages don't even come close, they are somewhat "Visually Basic" :wink:

I would suggest you get a demo version of HPT or LS1Edit to compare for yourself.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
November 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM
The short answer is HP tuners are running scared , price cutting to try and keep there market.

Superior products cost $$$

Delco, blunt as always......we will try not to turn this into a name calling thread, but it does appear VERY convenient that they drop their pricing dramatically once EFILive announced their prices....I wonder why there was never a price reduction when it was just HPT and LS1Edit??.

Blacky
November 14th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Interesting question for someone to follow up...
There is a claim being made that HPTuners will give a $100 trade in for an AutoTap dongle and a $250 trade in for an EFILive dongle.

There is no such thing as an EFILive dongle - EFILive software ONLY runs on AutoTap dongles. What's up with that?

Knee-jerk reaction, maybe????

Regards
Paul

Black02SS
November 14th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I'm a moron and edited this. :)

Blacky
November 14th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I am assuming that they are aware it uses a autotap dongle, but are taking into account the price difference from autotap to efilve.

The point is there is no way to tell from just the dongle that it was used for EFIlive. So *any* AutoTap user could claim it was an EFILive dongle and claim the $250 trade in. Heck, you can buy the AutoTap dongle new for $125.

They may try looking at the licenses but that won't work either - I know *many* people have fake licenses - they try to use them for upgrads all the time. Only EFILive has the tools to tell the difference between a fake and a real one.
I wonder too if they will give a trade in on the Multiplex-Engineering dongle. You can still use that with EFILive. Some of our customers are still using them.

I don't think they really did their homework on that one :shock: But that's not really a suprise, now is it?

Paul

Black02SS
November 14th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I am assuming that they are aware it uses a autotap dongle, but are taking into account the price difference from autotap to efilve.

The point is there is no way to tell from just the dongle that it was used for EFIlive. So *any* AutoTap user could claim it was an EFIlive dongle and claim the $250 trade in. Heck, you can buy the AutoTap dongle new for $125. I don't think they really did their homework on that one :shock: But that's not really a suprise.

Paul

OH.. :lol:

cured5.7
December 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Don't shoot me just a personal opinnion

Apart from the visual differences between the two and the sweeteners that Efi Live has like the black box recorder, HPTuners has its EIO interface.(not the same as each other)

For your everyday private tuner I'd say EFI Live is probably more favorable, but for your pro tuner that does a number of different vehicles and different models I'd probalbly say HPTuners is more cost effective because they are'nt locked to VIN numbers, Just model types.

GMPX
December 12th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Don't shoot me just a personal opinnion

Apart from the visual differences between the two and the sweeteners that Efi Live has like the black box recorder, HPTuners has its EIO interface.(not the same as each other)

For your everyday private tuner I'd say EFI Live is probably more favorable, but for your pro tuner that does a number of different vehicles and different models I'd probalbly say HPTuners is more cost effective because they are'nt locked to VIN numbers, Just model types.

Cured 5.7, we don't shoot people around here. :lol:

We are glad you noticed the visual differences, hopefully you also picked up on the massive difference in the most important part of tuning software, the scantool.

I would just like to comment on the EIO HPT has, yes guys, I know you are probably reading this. :o
We both have A/D inputs for WBO2, the output drivers with the HPT interface were in my opinion not thought about too hard before implementation. I can't see the how you could use the outputs for anything serious, like NOS, additional Fuel pump, shiftlight etc because you have to have the scanner running for it to work :roll:
That was one of the reasons we came up with the black box logging, to get that $3,000 laptop out of the car!!.

As for your EFILive Pro version observation, I think you must be misunderstood, if you buy the Workshop version there is no locking, you can tune ANY LS1/6 vehicle we support. It's the personal version that is locked to a PCM, but then that PCM can be from any vehicle as well.

We also have a Type K Thermocouple input as well as the 2 x A/D channels, so you can measure anything from your A/C's temp upto exhaust gas temps with the thermocouples you probably got with your dyno.

Hope that clears thing up a bit.

Cheers,
Ross