PDA

View Full Version : Option to lock the g80 rear end?

Sparky8370
July 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have the g80 locker in mine, is it possible to lock it through efi live? It would be cool to have that in the dvt thing. I'm still working my way through all this, so maybe it's there somewhere.

Sparky8370
July 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
OH PS I'd also like to be able to adjust how this thing operates. I want to change it so that if it's activated, it stays activated for like 3 seconds or so. That way if I spin on ice or snow or something, I don't get the bambambam.

ScarabEpic22
July 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I know the G80 in my rear end is a mechanical locker so no way to change the settings via EFILive. I think some of the newer fullsize trucks have electronic locking ones though, but not sure how they're controlled.

nonnieselman
July 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The G-80 is all Mechanical... IIRC you can put it in reverse and ease on the throttle to spin the tires ever so slightly. I was told you can make it lock up like that? Never tried it, i replaced mine with a Eaton LSD before it Gernaded..

ScarabEpic22
July 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification man, wish I could replace my G80 with a Eaton. Dang oddball 8" rear end, not an 8.6" like the V8 models get.

nonnieselman
July 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
8"?? didn't know they made one of those. I know the TBSS has a 9.5" rear.

ScarabEpic22
July 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
8"?? didn't know they made one of those. I know the TBSS has a 9.5" rear.

No kidding, the TB platform has 3 different rear end sizes. 5 pass I6 models have an 8" rear, 7 pass I6/5.3 and 5 pass 5.3 have the 8.6, then the SS has the 12 bolt 9.5" LSD.

nonnieselman
July 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
No kidding, the TB platform has 3 different rear end sizes. 5 pass I6 models have an 8" rear, 7 pass I6/5.3 and 5 pass 5.3 have the 8.6, then the SS has the 12 bolt 9.5" LSD.

wow.. thats screwed up..

Sparky8370
July 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
It's mechanical? Huh, the first time it did that bambambam to me I asked about it on dieselplace and was told it had an electronic locker. I never actually checked for any wiring back there and just believed what I was told.

nonnieselman
July 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM
thats just it locking and unlocking... I dont know of any GM that has a electric Locker from the factory.

drmatt
July 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM
For some reason i thought the H2 had an electronic lock up rear end, but i could be wrong. On another note i notice that my G80 doesnt like to lock up ever, you guys have problems like that, i can rock the biggest 1 wheel peeler anyone has ever seen with my truck, i should get in there and take it apart see what the problem is maybe.

nonnieselman
July 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM
For some reason i thought the H2 had an electronic lock up rear end, but i could be wrong. On another note i notice that my G80 doesnt like to lock up ever, you guys have problems like that, i can rock the biggest 1 wheel peeler anyone has ever seen with my truck, i should get in there and take it apart see what the problem is maybe.

The problem is simply the G80... Replace it with a Eaton LSD or Detroit Trutrac.
Both these units are proven to handle some abuse, i have the Eaton LSD and love it. Hated the G80 Issues of not locking sometimes and locking when you dont want it to...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Locker/357/913A481/10002/-1/1032953%7C10151

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eaton/362/19559-010/10002/-1

Sparky8370
July 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Mine has never not locked. But what it does is if I'm on a slippery surface and it spins, it will lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock. It goes bam bam bam. It's only done it a couple times. I thought it was electric because that's what I was told and never confirmed it. If it was, I was hoping I could increase the time it stays locked so it would stop doing that.

nonnieselman
July 29th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Mine has never not locked. But what it does is if I'm on a slippery surface and it spins, it will lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock. It goes bam bam bam. It's only done it a couple times. I thought it was electric because that's what I was told and never confirmed it. If it was, I was hoping I could increase the time it stays locked so it would stop doing that.

Ive had mine not lock at all on wet asphalt, and sometimes in wet grass which is aggravating as crap.. Mine use to pop every now and again. I put a built 60E in with a 2800 stall and all it would do is spin one tire.. Sometimes i could do a small burnout just to get it to lock.. then hammer on it and it would unlock and turn into a one tire fire..

Eaton LSD and its always spinnin both.. Its alot more predictable too.

thunder550
July 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
G80 is definitely a mechanical LSD.

+1 on the Truetrac recommendation...night and day difference from the stock G80. My G80 would only lock when I was going in a straight line...I could never kick the rear end out.

drmatt
July 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
so do you guys change out the whole rear axle or do you just change out the guts inside? sorry bout the gypsy question but i havnt had much experience with axles

thunder550
July 31st, 2008, 02:17 AM
Just the guts ;)

Sparky8370
July 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Ive had mine not lock at all on wet asphalt, and sometimes in wet grass which is aggravating as crap.. Mine use to pop every now and again. I put a built 60E in with a 2800 stall and all it would do is spin one tire.. Sometimes i could do a small burnout just to get it to lock.. then hammer on it and it would unlock and turn into a one tire fire..

Eaton LSD and its always spinnin both.. Its alot more predictable too.
Does it stay locked, or will it do the same thing I was describing?

so do you guys change out the whole rear axle or do you just change out the guts inside? sorry bout the gypsy question but i havnt had much experience with axles
If this car drive into a group of gypsies, will there be any damage to the car?

nonnieselman
August 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM
http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Locker/357/913A481/10002/-1/1032953%7C10151

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eaton/362/19559-010/10002/-1

Check out those links above... the differential is all you got to change out.. put some new bearings on it and bolt it to your ring gear (ring gear bolts are Lefty threads :sly:) and make sure your backlash is right...

drmatt
August 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
If this car drive into a group of gypsies, will there be any damage to the car?

Haha.... I dont think a group of gypsies would phase the front of the old duramax much, G80 would probably go into one wheel peel mode and you might get hung up on them though. the egg of a jew on the other hand would probably leave a mark...

Sparky8370
August 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM
In my country we say to let a woman drive a car is like to let a monkey fly a plane, very dangerous yes.
(PS, I just cheated and searched)