PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Cobolt SS support

minytrker
July 12th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Will there be support for the 08 SS? I have one to play with if its supported.

GMPX
July 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know what ECM that uses sorry.

minytrker
July 14th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I will look and and see what the pcm has on it. They switched from supercharged in 07 to turbo in 08. All I know is I tried to read the tune and couldn't.

GMPX
July 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
If it's the Turbo one with Direct Injection then we don't support it and have no plans to, it's Bosch.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
July 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
It is Ross, all the 08+ Cobalt SS and the other cars that used the 2L I4 S/C motor are all using the DI turbo now. :(

350SS
October 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM
If it's the Turbo one with Direct Injection then we don't support it and have no plans to, it's Bosch.

Cheers,
Ross

Isn't the Cobalt SS / HHR SS / Solstice GXP / Saturn Sky Redline ecm basically the same as that used for the LBZ/LMM diesel trucks?

If that is true, is it easier to offer support for these vehicles in the future?

I have a feeling most if not all of the motors will be going direct injection in the future and will probably use a pcm that they already have developed.

GMPX
October 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Isn't the Cobalt SS / HHR SS / Solstice GXP / Saturn Sky Redline ecm basically the same as that used for the LBZ/LMM diesel trucks?

The Bosch sticker on the case is the same, that is about where the comparison ends.

350SS
October 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
http://stickandballguy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/homer-doh.jpg

Chuck CoW
January 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM

If that is true, is it easier to offer support for these vehicles in the future?

I have a feeling most if not all of the motors will be going direct injection in the future and will probably use a pcm that they already have developed.

Hmmmm... Tonight, I got an 09 Cobalt SS Turbo in for a tune.....

It does appear (by looking at it) to have the LBZ/LMM computer in it.

When attempting to connect to it, it acts like it's gonna work....till it says "BOOTLOADER REJECTED".:bad: But, you gotta give it credit for trying...Right Ross????

Just so we know, what's the difference between the Diesel controller and the gas turbo unit that makes it such a bear to work on???

Is it lack of profitability or is there some physical difference that makes it too difficult?

It's not like I'm gonna get rich with these...I'll stick with the Vettes, THANK YOU. But, they come in from time to time...

Chuck CoW

GTPprix
January 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
For the most part the appearance is where the similarities end :( I too want support for the E69 (MED961) as well as the E69-4 for the LLT which I think would make the most sense since the CTS, Camaro, G8, New Impala ECT will all be using a version of it. So, back to begging; this Bosch stuff is greek to me practically WAY different than the E series or Legacy controllers.

GMPX
January 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
We already have some well established markets that we pretty much spend 90% of our R&D time on with ongoing enhancements and keeping up with GM's update rate (look at the 2009 CTS-V, 3 new OS's already!!).

Not only that, to aid in getting the all new version 8 tuner/scanner to market we have stopped trying to add more to the V7 platform. Knowing the 'fun' we had getting the Bosch Diesel ECM to work in V7 I am sure the E69 ECM would suffer many of the same 'Boschisms' to make life hard. Actually, I was told the new E69's can't be read out!

Chuck, no harm in trying to read it, a man has to live in hope. Though doing so reminds me of those sci-fi movies where they hook a laptop up to the Alien space craft and upload a virus to the Alien space ship computer system, of course it's that easy to do :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
January 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM
That "virus uploading" Apple laptop originated from the 1947 Roswell crash remains (so compatibility was not an issue)... :D :D :D

Chuck CoW
January 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
OK then Ross...., But if the economy doesn't improve quickly.....

And all those new 17 year old customers with the punky hair doos and over sized pants start showing up to have their 09 Cobalt SS's tuned......AND EFI LIVE doesn't have coverage......

You can expect me not to be happy.:sly:

Next thing you know, GM's gonna find out EFI LIVE refused to offer coverage for the Cobalt SS and they're gonna put the COBALT SS COMPUTER in the 2010 CAMARO!!!:bangin:

What if?
Chuck CoW

GMPX
January 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
And all those new 17 year old customers with the punky hair doos and over sized pants start showing up to have their 09 Cobalt SS's tuned......AND EFI LIVE doesn't have coverage......
Then we've done you a favour :hihi:

GTPprix
January 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
then we've done you a favour :hihi:

rofl!!!

MSURacing
January 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Saying a computer looks the same as the other so it should work is like looking at a 5.3L and saying, oh yeah, those 7.0L pistons will fit, no problem. I mean, they look the same on the outside.

I have an insode source at GM that does the support for the LNF drift cars and he says good luck trying to find software. All of the stuff he has is in German, and he works for GM!!!!!

GTPprix
January 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Saying a computer looks the same as the other so it should work is like looking at a 5.3L and saying, oh yeah, those 7.0L pistons will fit, no problem. I mean, they look the same on the outside.

I have an insode source at GM that does the support for the LNF drift cars and he says good luck trying to find software. All of the stuff he has is in German, and he works for GM!!!!!

Thats correct, most of the calibration development was actually done by bosch with input from GM. It's not the normal scenario where GM does everything; its a PITA.

Highlander
January 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Well... at my shop there is a guy that gets in on most of bosch's pcm.. I have yet to have a customer with an 09 to check if he can read teh cal or not.

mistermike
February 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Then we've done you a favour :hihi:

Yes, but you'll still have to deal with the curmudgeons and their damn HHR's

GTPprix
February 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Yes, but you'll still have to deal with the curmudgeons and their damn HHR's

No whining at least you have a stage kit fool! :)

Highlander
December 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
has there been any change in this support? It's been a year... I have 4 coming pretty soon. Don't want to use the other option.

GMPX
December 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
No change, not happening.