PDA

View Full Version : TBSS (E67) some odd issues.

E.A.
July 15th, 2008, 03:16 AM
** Sorry I posted in the wrong section last time **

This is on a 2007 TBSS AWD.

Stock the truck dyno'ed 275awhp
After L92 heads, intake and cam dyno'ed 402awhp

Now I have made a custom bracket to hold a ProCharger D1SC on the passengers side cyl head. She makes right at 6psi of boost before a shift.
This combo is identical (even the boost level) to what i put on LS2 6.0L GTO's (E40) and make 650rwhp

This TBSS is running in 2bar SD mode, thanks to the EFI Live Virtual VE.

Now the odd isses:

1.) Can't get throttle to go past 39% unless truck is moving.
**update** I have this resolved, though I only changed one thing, that shouldn't have fix it, it did for whatever reason

- So basically, if your trying to race someone from a stoplight forget about it, because it will just launch from basically idle (29% throttle is parked). So it won't even get the truck up into the stall converter. Once you let off the brakes, and you get about 2 mph to show on the data log. INSTANT jump to 83% throttle, and the truck takes off. (quite strong for its weight) Where am I not finding the table to be able to take this feature off? I understand that its there to save the tranny, but in this trucks case it doesn't need to be saved. It will only do this randomly, with no real reasoning behind it. Yet if you are in Reverse, it will go WOT, everytime no matter if you have movement or not.

2.) The most rapid fluttering of timing I have ever seen in my tuning days.

- As power comes up from 1700-3600rpm the timing looks normal, and is following the curve that I command. Then out of the blue the timing will rapidly jump from 3 degrees to 10 degrees multiple times a second.....only to get worse as RPM goes up. So at redline the jump is from -3 degrees to 8 degrees. (the timing graph on the data log looks like a sign wave almost) **UPDATE** I have now logged the TQ values and retard due to TQ Managment. The issues start happening right at 500lbs of TQ, then once it gets to 640ft lbs of TQ it starts pulling 6 degrees off and on, with PID SEMRET (Retard due to TQ Managment) Which is where it was getting the worse. Once it pulls all the timing (13 degrees) the TQ amount drops below 500ft lbs, and it brings the timing back in, just to pull it all right back out again. Thus the rapid up and down swinging I was seeing the other night in logs, and well feeling in my seat of the pants driving.

3.) When "punching" the throttle to go WOT it drops to -6.5 degrees

- Anytime you mat the gas (once your rolling) it will drop the timing to -6.5 degrees, then ramp it back in. I assume this is also to save the tranny on a downshift, but all of the TQ management has been turned off. The best way to describe the feeling is like having a car with a big stall, then locking the TQ converter. (Yet this happens in gears that don't have the TQ locked at all)

Don't get me wrong, it runs really strong. But these small little issues have me scratching my head. If I could WOT it from a stop, and keep the timing in her though the full RPM band.... it would really scream for a SUV.

** July 15th Update ***

I took the final SD tune, and went back to a MAF tune. Same timing, same A/F ratios under drive and WOT. All issues are now resolved. For whatever reason, when it was in SD mode it did NOT like making that much TQ.

I am happy that the issues are gone. But not really because I want to fully understand what was causing the issues. It seems that in SD mode, the magic 640 ft lbs of TQ wasn't going to be bypassed. Yet now just by turning the MAF back on its fine with it. ?!?!?! Seems odd to me.

Any pointers in the correct direction will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Erik

joecar
July 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I read thru this, I'm still digesting and thinking about it...

You don't mention any DTC's, so I take it none were thrown.

E.A.
July 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I read thru this, I'm still digesting and thinking about it...

You don't mention any DTC's, so I take it none were thrown.

Correct, while in the SD mode no DTC;s are thrown or tripped.
I have the rear 02's turned off, as well as the MAF while in that mode.

When I swapped it to the MAF tune last night. All was well, but she did start tripping some random codes, for maxing out the MAF, and throttle position bla bla. But thats just because I had forgot to adjust the settings for max maf, and max map stuff for the electronic throttle.. (Should have known better, I knew it was gonna peg) Since I have done that, no DTC's have come back on the truck.

Does the computer use the MAF for part of the TQ calculation? When I was in the SD mode, I know I still had the MAF wires hooked up to the sensor, even though it was "turned off" I might try going back to the SD tune, and actually unplug the wires from the sensor.

I have had another car have an issue with that. I couldn't explain why, but for whatever reason it would do funky stuff with the electronic throttle in SD mode, while the MAF was turned off..... but still plugged in. I unplugged the wires from the sensor, changed nothing else, issues went away.

Maybe this truck is the same way.

To be honest, this is the 2nd truck in a month I have had that has a magical hang up with 640ft lbs of TQ.... its getting annoying.

EA

GMPX
July 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
For the timing issue in SD mode try this.
Open the Virtual VE table you need to work on. Select the entire table then add '1' to the entire lot. Regenerate the coefficients, save and flash the tune back in. In doing that EFILive will regenerate the coefficients to stop that odd timing issue happening. We have seen it many times before, GM have great coders, but this is a bug in the ECM.

B0532 should help the throttle issues off the line, set it to no.

With the Torque issues, it is probably related to the MAF missing and flagging invalid torque calculations, we have a fix for this on the E38 but I haven't done them yet for the E67. If you let me know the OS for the file you are working on it shouldn't take me more than a day to get that fixed for you too.

Cheers,
Ross

E.A.
July 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM
12611938 is the OS

B0523 has already been set to "no" as is every other tq function. :(

I will add the "1" to the Virt. VE table, and see what happens. Though I don't think there is a cell left in the table that is stock, since the truck is a heads, cam, blower, truck. I will give it a whirl here in a few min, I will let you know what I find.

Thanks a million for the pointers thus far.
EA

GMPX
July 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Erik,

If you download and extract the zip file below in to the folder -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\E67

Then when you reopen your tune file you should see a folder at the bottom of the engine segment called "Operating System Patches".
Apply both traction control patches then full flash the ECM, this 'might' help stop some of the odd behaviour, it usually fixes shifting issues with the trans when in SD as well.

Oh, this file is in the new .calz format, you need to be running V7.5.4 or later versions of the software to see the changes.

Good luck.
Ross

Chuck CoW
July 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Erik,

If you download and extract the zip file below in to the folder -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\E67

Then when you reopen your tune file you should see a folder at the bottom of the engine segment called "Operating System Patches".
Apply both traction control patches then full flash the ECM, this 'might' help stop some of the odd behaviour, it usually fixes shifting issues with the trans when in SD as well.

Oh, this file is in the new .calz format, you need to be running V7.5.4 or later versions of the software to see the changes.

Good luck.
Ross

Hey Ross... I don't see it.... I followed the directions and I don't see the OS PATCHES in my cal list.

Also , while we're on this subject...Can you elaborate a bit on Cal B2501 and B2502?

I've messed with B2501 a bunch on different platforms and every one I mess with gives different results/symptoms....

Can you explain it in english?

Chuck CoW

ScarabEpic22
July 18th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Your V2 must be plugged in prior to starting the tune tool to see the VVE table and OS Patches Chuck. I know you know about the VVE table, but the OS Patches are the same way. :D

E.A.
July 21st, 2008, 06:04 AM
The reason for the delay, is that while the customer was here, we decided to move to a bigger intercooler. Once I have it fabbed up and back in, I will be back out with the laptop tuning.

Just wanted to let you all know that its still here, and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Erik

TBMSport
August 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Any update on this?