PDA

View Full Version : How do you log WBO2 lambda instead of AFR?

waveoff
July 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I'm still learning how to do everything and have been reading and searching quite a bit. I have an LC-1 that I will be hooking up soon and was wondering if it's possible to log lambda instead of AFR in the scantool. Looking at the various PID's I only see the ability to log O2 sensor voltage except under the "Wide Band AFR 1 & 2 - LC-1" where you can log AFR. I plan on tuning for both 93 octane and E85 on my '98 Z28 STS setup. From everything I've read, lambda seems like it'd be easier to tune with than AFR when using different fuels. I'm lazy and don't feel like doing math which is why I'm interested in tuning with lambda.

TAQuickness
July 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken I think you are wanting the BEN factor PID.

waveoff
July 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Based on that info, I just searched for threads mentioning BEN and lambda. I downloaded a couple of log files that people posted to see if BEN_LC11 or BEN_LC12 displays numbers in lambda. It appears it does but only to the tenth decimal place. Is there any other PID that might show higher resolution lambda values?

joecar
July 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
When you view the pids, edit the dash chart/gauge properties to set the number of decimal places.

TAQuickness
July 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Might digging thru the Scan and Tune tool help files as well. Both tools are quite powerful and easily configured to your liking

waveoff
July 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I had a little trouble figuring out how to change the decimal places but eventually got it. All I did was right click on the dasboard then clicked on "Chart Properties". Selected the "Series" tab and in the "Format" field changed the value from %.1f to %.3f Now instead of showing lambda values like 1.0, .7, .8, etc. I now can see the values to the thousandth...i.e. 1.000, .765, .833, etc. Thanks guys!

waveoff
July 27th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Well I finally hooked up my LC-1 and it seems to be logging AFR just fine. However, lambda isn't displaying correctly. I have selected PID's CALC.AFR_LC12 and CALC.BEN_LC12 along with the other PID's required for AutoVE tuning. AFR_LC12 shows my current AFR but then BEN_LC12 is showing my current lambda "incorrectly". My displayed lambda values are showing up as "AFR / commanded AFR = λ" instead of "AFR / stoich = λ". For instance, at WOT commanded AFR is 11.7 and I'm showing an AFR of 11.76 and a lambda value of 1.005. In reality, the ACTUAL and CORRECT lambda should be 0.800. What do I need to do so that BEN_LC12 shows lambda correctly?

waveoff
July 27th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Ah, I was under the assumption since TAQuickness advised the use of the BEN factor PID to find what I was originally looking for that BEN_LC11 or BEN_LC12 values were lambda values.

I see what you mean by BEN being a correction multiplication factor.

When using Innovate's LogWorks I'm able to switch the displayed values between AFR or lambda but I'd rather have only one program running while logging (EFILive). I'll have to read up on how to create a calc PID that meets my needs.

TFZ_Z06
July 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Ah, I was under the assumption since TAQuickness advised the use of the BEN factor PID to find what I was originally looking for that BEN_LC11 or BEN_LC12 values were lambda values.

I see what you mean by BEN being a correction multiplication factor.

When using Innovate's LogWorks I'm able to switch the displayed values between AFR or lambda but I'd rather have only one program running while logging (EFILive). I'll have to read up on how to create a calc PID that meets my needs.

SERIAL STYLE:
BBL:(make sure WO2LAM1 is in your OPTIONS.INI)
-, WO2LAM1
-, WO2AFR1

For Pass Thru Logging using the laptop
EXT.WO2AFR1
EXT.WO2LAM1

ANALOG STYLE:
CALC_AFR_LC11
EXT.AD1
CALC.LAM_LC11

To use CALC.LAM_LC11, download http://home.comcast.net/~booth.p/calc_pids.txt
and store in My Documents/EFI Live/User Config

Restart both the scan and tuning tool. Go to PID tab in scanner software. Add the CALC.LAM_LC11 and save the log.

Note: 0v = 0.5LAM = 7.35 AFR
5v = 1.523LAM = 22.39 AFR

waveoff
July 27th, 2008, 12:25 PM
You're the man! Thanks a million! :)

Wasted Income
August 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am interested in doing the same thing (autove with lambda instead of AFR...using e85) and I cannot download the CALC.LAM_LC11 from above? Can anyone share, or explain a different way to autove with Lambda (LC-1)

Thanks!!

mr.prick
August 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM
If serial WBO2 is an option you can use that but beware it seems to be based
off 14.7AFR you may need to change your stoich AFR to match
unless you know how to change the expression for serial PIDs.

For an analog PID you can use the standard CALC.AFR_LC11 expression
{EXT.AD1}*3)+7.35/stoich AFR

Wasted Income
August 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Mr. Prick, thanks for the response.

Here is my setup: V2 Flashscan and LC1 connected via serial.

I am able to log the ACTUAL Lambda from the LC1, but is there a way to log the COMMANDED lambda from the vehicle? I see commanded AFR and maybe commanded EQ Ratio, but not lambda.
In addition, I would need a BEN pid to calculate.

Is there an easier way to do it? I kinda wanted to use lambda for the same reasons as the guy above, but I just want to get this thing dialed in on the corn-gas.

mr.prick
August 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
For commanded Lambda:
GM.AFR/stoich
As I said the serial Lambda PID has a preset reference value
that maybe different from your OS' stoich AFR.
I started a thread asking about changing the serial expressions for this reason.

Lambda BEN would be:
Lambda/Commanded Lambda

Isn't the point of using Lambda to use it as the multiplier or do I have that wrong?

Wasted Income
August 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
From my understanding, Lambda is Lambda. That is what the LC1 actually reads, and anything else is a calculation of Lambda. I think I may be able to get it figured out now. Gotta brush up on my calc pid skillz now, lol.

mr.prick
August 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I thought 1.00Lambda = 1.00EQ which can be user defined. {B3601}
I have seen Lambda advertised anywhere between 14.6AFR-14.7AFR, :confused:
therefore I thought it was a set value.
I was recently told otherwise.
Maybe I still don't understand, if not then disregard what I said. :doh2:

Wasted Income
August 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I changed my stoich AFR in the tune to 9.7:1 (E85)

However, the LC1 reads lambda and is programmed for whatever fuel you are using. No matter what it is programmed for, and no matter what fuel you're using, lambda will always read correctly.