PDA

View Full Version : causes of p0102

Kurtomac
July 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
cars been acting up the last couple days....on startup after work friday....missed a few times...then as i was releasing the clutch it was like it lost power and jerked real good...put 10dollars in gas in it the day before thought it might be gas...stuck fuel system cleaner in it and put 55dollars worth of BP premium hoping it would go away...no go...put a new fuel filter/pressure regulator in it saturday morning....still does it....didnt do it all saturday morning until i left the dealer to go to the shop to put the filter in.....threw 2 p0102 codes friday and cleared them....was at a light saturday on the way home from the dealer...check engine light was on and started missing....as i pulled away from the light did the same jerky thing losing what seemed a lot of power not just missing (going down a cyl)...so that led me to think it was fuel cut...guys on the other forum think it may be ignition, I think it may be the pump....does fine at WOT....anyways that code it threw on saturday was again a p0102 and immediately after throwing the code it started messing up...got to the driving range and cleared it....threw another on on the way to the shop....so got home took the intake tract off....bought some maf cleaner today and sprayed it down real good.....cleaning my K&N as we speak (it was gross should have checked it sooner) and bought a PCV valve going to put it back together tonite...ill keep you guys updated....but waht are some of the reasons and symptoms of a p0102 code
thanks guys
Kurtomac

Kurtomac
July 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
also pulled a plug for shit....it looked fine....plugs and wires might have 2000 miles on them all appear to be tight

TAQuickness
July 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
P0102 sets when the MAF reports a frequency below C2904 more than C2906 (i.e. MAF reports a frequency below 1300 more than 6 times). If any MAF DTC is thrown, P0101, P0102, P0103, the PCM enters speed density mode. This is usually caused by a dirty MAF, a failing MAF, or if you are tuning for SD.

Two easy things you can do:
1 - Swap MAF's with a buddy to see if the problem follows the MAF. If the problem follows, you need to clean the MAF (which you are working on now) or replace it.

2 - While you are figuring out the problem with the MAF, from the Scan or Tune tool, click Help -> Tutorials -> AutoVE Tutorial. Use this to get your VE table dialed in so if your MAF fails again, your vehicle won't drive like crap while you're fixing the MAF. Or, you could just stay in SD mode and forget about the MAF.

Kurtomac
July 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
what are some of the symptoms when the maf is bad or dirty....ive had an engine light before and it didnt run like shit ie jerking and missing

TAQuickness
July 21st, 2008, 12:13 AM
The symtoms are very much like what you're describing. Once a DTC trips the MIL light, the PCM will need to perform a series of diagnostics (criteria is specific to the codes) to determin the condition is cleared and it's OK to turn off the light.

Kurtomac
July 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
hmm well put it together last night...drove it to work today did fine...drove it home it did fine and damn it was hot on the way home 107 degrees leaving work....prob should go drive a little more to see if its fixed or not hopefully cleaning the maf helped

TAQuickness
July 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Still wouldn't hurt to have your VE table lined out for those rare occasions your MAF fails.

Kurtomac
July 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
yea i waiting to install my HC in 2 weeks then im going to tune the VE and MAF table