PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up the valet switch

seedyrom
August 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Hi, Quick question regarding the wiring of the valet switch.
Does the switch just splice into the red wire then run to earth? or do you cut the red wire and wire it to earth (via the switch)?

Thanks,
seedy

GMPX
August 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Hi, Quick question regarding the wiring of the valet switch.
Does the switch just splice into the red wire then run to earth? or do you cut the red wire and wire it to earth (via the switch)?

Thanks,
seedy

Seedy,

There should be no wire in the PCM connector already!!, it's an unused input, better check your pin numbers, or a I missing the point?.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
January 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Ok, Im going to have a play with pin 56 from the PCM for this valet mode. Going to kind of use it as another layer of security.

Anyway a few questions for those that have done this.

Do I need to run a wire from the PCM by the engine coolant reservoir?
Secondly is the PCM connector connections numbered?

I guess Ill take a look and jig up a little switch to test, then I can run it up somewhere out of the way when its working ok.

GMPX
January 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Ok, Im going to have a play with pin 56 from the PCM for this valet mode. Going to kind of use it as another layer of security.

Anyway a few questions for those that have done this.

Do I need to run a wire from the PCM by the engine coolant reservoir?
Secondly is the PCM connector connections numbered?

I guess Ill take a look and jig up a little switch to test, then I can run it up somewhere out of the way when its working ok.

If you look on the back of the plug under the cover you can see them.....or the PCM has '80' and '41' on it's connector, count up from 41 to find it.
I just taped the new wire to the main harness......well, no I didn't, my Auto Elec friend did, he could wire up a VT blindfolded.

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
January 15th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Ok, just spend ages trying to get the coolant tank off, but one star screw is obscuered by the coolant tank and I cant get it out.

So looking at the PCM, there is like a plastic case and lid on it. Looks like 2x 10mm bolts holding it to the engine bay.
Do I have to undo both bolts, or can I just take the plastic lid off?
The lid doesnt seem to want to budge, bloody thing! I started losening one of the bolts, but its cold and wet.

Came close to hacking the obscuered mounting tab off the tank so I could get it off, then thought Id check first :)

Any help appreciated, vehicle is Holden Commodore VTII thanks.

GMPX
January 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM
No need to take the screws out of the res tank.
Just lift up (with a bit of force) the end that sits above the PCM until it releases, then pull the res tank towards the engine. Everything is mounted on rubber grommets, nothing is screwed down. Once done you can rest it over on the belts/pullys.

Then the plastic cover just comes off the PCM, there is a tab on one side of it. Once that is done you will have access to the plugs.

Of course if you had LS1Edit you would be used to doing this ;)

Cheers,
Ross

SinisterSS
January 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Wiring diagram... :cheers:

bK
January 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Of course if you had LS1Edit you would be used to doing this ;)

I do remember. My hands are still recovering from being cut up everytime I was flashing with LS1 Edit.

Thanks to EFILIVE thats all over :cheers:

ringram
March 1st, 2006, 06:53 AM
Ok, I had another go at this today.
Thanks Ross, yes just pulling the header tank worked ok.
Found the PCM cover tab, off it came.
Found RED-56 had no wire at all, so cut a connector off my PC case :)
Pushed it in, all good, except now its snowing and like minus something horrible.
Fingers dead, put everything back together and discover that the switch location hole I made sits under the header tank!
**** Ok, well Ill have to redrill the hole and fit it to earth another time, maybe sometime next week..