PDA

View Full Version : 2-bar and 3-bar support

Draco
November 15th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Hi guys,

Will you be supporting 2 or 3 bar map sensor tuning at some point? This is a prime feature I am looking for when considering your software vs. HPtuners. HPT has already discussed future support for boost pressure tuning (currently in Beta testing according to posts in their forum).

I am sure the answer to this question is on other people's minds as well.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I did a search and checked the website but nothing really came up.

Cheers,

Craig

Steve Bryant
November 15th, 2004, 01:00 PM
GMPX or Blacky could tell you more of the details, but I believe the answer is yes at least to 2 Bar. Take a look at this information on the World's fastest Monaro http://www.chipmaster.com.au/Project%20Monaro1.htm which was tuned using Flash/Scan.

You'll see that FlashScan was designed to enable folks to run at the head of the pack! :D

Steve

As an aside, I'm one of the Beta Testers and the Scan and Tune features and user friendliness are beyond compare!

GMPX
November 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hi guys,

Will you be supporting 2 or 3 bar map sensor tuning at some point? This is a prime feature I am looking for when considering your software vs. HPtuners. HPT has already discussed future support for boost pressure tuning (currently in Beta testing according to posts in their forum).

Hey Craig,

Internally to Starr Performance and Chipmaster we have been running our 2 bar programs for sometime, as well as many other enhanced features such as water injection control, valet mode, twin spark tables when mafless...however to add this functionality to a PCM the entire Flash needs to be reprogrammed.......that is where we are hesitant at this stage.
'If' something were to go wrong during the critical first 5 or 10% of a full reflash (lets say the power turns off or something drastic like that) then the PCM is only recoverable by removing the Flash chip off the PCB and reprogramming it in an EPROM programmer. Very similar to what happens with LS1 Edit now except they are not writing the entire Flash so the PCM 'should' be recoverable.

We have the technology so to speak we are just not sure if we will release it for general consumption yet.

Cheers,
Ross

XLR8NSS
November 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Sounds like some interesting items you guys have going on over there with these PCM's. :)

It would be nice if you added them and just made sure that people know the consequences if a write goes bad.

Question. Once the initial entire flash is done to add one of these features does the entire flash have to be done each time a new tune is uploaded?

In other words is "losing" the PCM a one time chance or something that you take a chance on with every tune if you have some of the features posted above.

Keep up the good work guys.

GMPX
November 15th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Question. Once the initial entire flash is done to add one of these features does the entire flash have to be done each time a new tune is uploaded?

It just needs to be done once, to add those kind of extras in requires changes to the operating system in the PCM, once that is done it does not need to be done again, you would only need to reflash the calibrations area for tuning after that.

Dirk Diggler
November 16th, 2004, 01:26 AM
heh I am all for it plenty of people bought Edit even though they knew there was a chance of a dead PCM. As long as customers are aware of such dangers i dont see a problem in releasing such goodies. Most of us have spares anyways because we were scared to death using EDIT

Brains
November 16th, 2004, 07:15 AM
I'm all about adding 2 or 3 bar map support... I have a forced induction project that is in dire need of at least 2 bar and extended MAF tables :D HELP !!!

Drake
November 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I'm with Dirk, offer it but make sure customers know the risks (huge flashing warning screen?).

It certainly is worth the risk for me, given that it's a rare thing to do and it won't take long to perform the operation. Maybe you could make a little money offering a PCM OS restore service as well (if that's possible).

Earl H
November 16th, 2004, 09:40 AM
One additional vote for 2/3 Bar capability

Draco
November 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the response! Here's another vote for offering the support, with a disclaimer regarding risk :)

Delco
November 16th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I'm all about adding 2 or 3 bar map support... I have a forced induction project that is in dire need of at least 2 bar and extended MAF tables :D HELP !!!

You throw the MAF away when you go 2 bar.

We may offer a service where you send your PCM in and we will custom modify the code to make it run in your PCM - a little down the track at this stage as it is still in intensive testing.

The other guys do it by just changing the reolution in the software and not really changing the maps in the code.

http://chipmaster.com.au/Project%20Monaro8.htm

Brains
November 17th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Makes sense to ditch the MAF -- in my application that'll mean some serious tweaking in the trans area, still running a 4L60e (till it pops). :D I'd be all for it, this would help me a LOT

Drake
November 17th, 2004, 05:07 AM
We may offer a service where you send your PCM in and we will custom modify the code to make it run in your PCM - a little down the track at this stage as it is still in intensive testing.

That will work, good thinking.