PDA

View Full Version : KILLED my NEW reman...

onewingman
August 2nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
4L60E:
In an atempt to follow reman instructions...I install w/ 1 qt in the TQ. After install, put 4 in and start engine and "fill as quickly as possible, shift thru the gears check for leaks and level"...here's the hitch, my Chilton says the 4L60E holds 22pts on overhaul...So, WTF...I got the flippin' thing idling and ...by my count I'm at 18 pts when the stick over flows. Now, I'm an old gear box guy, this is the first auto I've had, I'm 56...
I figure these guys know something about this...They say to slight;y elevate the idle and shift it though the gears... a couple of times. I'm thinking it needs to "load" ...well, it doesn't, instead it makes some nasty noises. I shut down, drain to the indicators and restart...in hopes I didn't kill it...No such FREAKIN" LUCK!!! I go through the geras again and it's makin bad noises...
So, Obviously the reman shop (Art Carr...) didn't bother to mention they put "some" fluid in before shipping. Or Chilton's got their head up their ass...which is coincidentally where I'm feelin like mine is ...
Anyways, does anyone have a clue as to what the damages are. I don't want to send it back to TX, I live in Oregon. If it's not totalled, I want to pull it and exercise my learning curve.
Any and all help, tips, clues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks onewingman :help2 !

joecar
August 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
The 4L60E takes 12 quarts (24 pints) dry... overfilling and starting won't hurt it (altho driving while overfull will)...

When you installed the TC, did you make sure it made 3 engagements:
- stator shaft splines,
- input shaft splines,
- pump drive notches;

Also you have to lube the o-ring on the end of the input shaft, this makes those 3 engagements easier.

Remove the cooler return line from the cooler and start the motor... if no ATF flows out of the cooler then the pump drive is not engaged (and most likely the pump is killed dead... if the pump drive is not engaged, the pump will be damaged when you bolt the trans to the motor).

joecar
August 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
If pump is dead, it will have to come out and be repaired... and any metal fragments have to be cleaned out of the trans.

charcold-bowtie
August 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
not only that but I think a new pump runs somewhere in the 300 dollar range. At least from what I was told.... When I blew up my third 60, it took right at 11 quarts to get it all filled. This is with a smaller 10 inch converter and the trans completely dry. Another thing, while trying to stab the trans to motor, the TC disengaged and we had bindage trying to do the flywheel bolts. So i bet yours is engaged properly.

onewingman
August 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Hey, Thanks for all the input everybody.
I did seat the TC all the way. It rotated easily when I bolted it to the flex plate. I did oil the snout...I don't get why it over flowed at 18 pts, unless it was sent out w/ ATF already in it...or maybe something was clogged up or something like that. I'll disconnnect the cooler line and see what happens...I'll get back a bit later on...
Thanks again