PDA

View Full Version : Tuning my cars..

blackpala96
August 3rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
I have an 06 GTO and an 06 TBSS and they have very minimal mods and probably will never have anything major done to them. Now I guess my question is, is EFI Live Flashscan something that will benefit me? I see all the gains from tunes that some guys are getting and I am curious about it. I don't want to buy a laptop, I live too far away from any tuner and I dont want to put in a wideband so thats the reason I stumbled upon the Flashscan.

Cliffnotes version, is tuning software something that could benefit me and my limited tuning knowlege and limited vehicle mods?

thanks much
matt

GMPX
August 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Matt, sorry this post was missed, I would suggest you contact a tuning company to provide you with a tune (search the internet). Many will do a mail order tune where they send you a replacement PCM for your vehicle. Trying to tune without a laptop or a Wideband is not really something we could recommend to a newbie.

Cheers,
Ross

MyM8V8
September 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Matt, sorry this post was missed, I would suggest you contact a tuning company to provide you with a tune (search the internet). Many will do a mail order tune where they send you a replacement PCM for your vehicle. Trying to tune without a laptop or a Wideband is not really something we could recommend to a newbie.

Cheers,
Ross

What is a wideband and how is it used?

TAQuickness
September 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the forum MyM8V8. A wide band is a high resolution oxygen sensor. The AutoVE tutorial (located in the downloads section of the main site or from the help menu of the scan or tune tool) is a detailed process of using the WB to adjust the air mass tables.

MyM8V8
September 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the forum MyM8V8. A wide band is a high resolution oxygen sensor. The AutoVE tutorial (located in the downloads section of the main site or from the help menu of the scan or tune tool) is a detailed process of using the WB to adjust the air mass tables.

Hi there and thanks very much for that. What would happen if the headers leaked during the process?

joecar
September 11th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Hi there and thanks very much for that. What would happen if the headers leaked during the process?Welcome...:cheers:

If headers leaked during AutoVE...?
Then the wideband O2 sensor would detect the AFR leaner than it really is, and this would cause the paste/multiply to make the VE table richer than required.

What is a wideband and how is it used...?
Car comes from GM with narrowband O2 sensors: these indicate when the actual AFR is stoichiometric and when it is rich or lean, but cannot give an exact AFR when the actual AFR is not stoich... they function by responding to the PCM trimming the AFR on either side of stoich... the PCM looks at the NBO2 response and reverses the trim slightly and checks the response (closed loop) and repeats. When actual AFR is rich the NBO2 voltage pegs high, when lean it pegs low.

Wideband O2 sensor returns a signal which is directly proportional to AFR... but the PCM cannot use this, so we manully adjust the VE/MAF tables using the AutoVE/AutoMAF procedures... the scantool calculates the ratio of commanded AFR to wideband actual AFR and this is the correction factor (multiplier).

MyM8V8
September 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Welcome...:cheers:

If headers leaked during AutoVE...?
Then the wideband O2 sensor would detect the AFR leaner than it really is, and this would cause the paste/multiply to make the VE table richer than required.

What is a wideband and how is it used...?
Car comes from GM with narrowband O2 sensors: these indicate when the actual AFR is stoichiometric and when it is rich or lean, but cannot give an exact AFR when the actual AFR is not stoich... they function by responding to the PCM trimming the AFR on either side of stoich... the PCM looks at the NBO2 response and reverses the trim slightly and checks the response (closed loop) and repeats. When actual AFR is rich the NBO2 voltage pegs high, when lean it pegs low.

Wideband O2 sensor returns a signal which is directly proportional to AFR... but the PCM cannot use this, so we manully adjust the VE/MAF tables using the AutoVE/AutoMAF procedures... the scantool calculates the ratio of commanded AFR to wideband actual AFR and this is the correction factor (multiplier).

Hi Joe, and pleased to meet you. I have been reading your trans threads with great interest.

Right, I think I am getting the jist of this. I need to fit widebands to get the best out of the tuning system. I am right in thinking I have to get wide band sensors fitted to use only when scanning /tuning, but will stay on the car and hook up to the PCM for normal use, i.e feeding the PCM with the information the narrow bands normally do? Wher do I get widebands and whcih is the best contoller?
Sorry to have hi jacked this thread but while you are there this is a question I asked in my original posting:

4. I have been reading joecars articles on L60E transmission tuning, very good indeed. I want to improve the trans tune so I can go to the drags on RWYB days (Looking into a stall ATM). His articles refer to cells that don't correlate to the ones in my L65E , and looking at my tune it seems as though HSV may well have improved on things to a certain extent. Where can I find L65E specific information or would anyone have the time to look at my trans tune and see how I can improve it for my purpose?

Bear in mind I am a newbie to Efilive, fuel injection and auto transmission, but have been studying hard. I raced stock cars many years ago but it was all big blocks, carbs and mags back then.

ringram
September 11th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Gareth let me know if you are after some widebands mate I do the innovate products as well as efilive that you already know about :) LC1, LM2 etc.

Quite a few guys wire up their widebands to the stock narrowband inputs as well. They usually come with 2 outputs (narrow and wide)

Andy on here will sell you some nice serial cables which saves messing around with grounds and offsets for the wideband output to the v2 unit. Thats what Id do now. If you need a hand upgrading to the BBL firmware so you can log serial wideband and not require a laptop etc let me know I can talk you through it.