PDA

View Full Version : Chasing my "tail" on the MAF !!

ssvolvo
August 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
So My old Volvo just got a heads/cam upgrade. 01 Vette LS6 bottom end with Texas speed 5.3 stage 2.5 heads 220R cam, 11.5 compression ratio.
Has too much power for the vehicle with 225/50 tires. E40 returnless fuel system.
I've been trying to tune the top end of the MAF for several days. Seems to be almost maxing out at 10,400 HZ. Best fueling I can achieve there is high 12s A/F. I'd like around 12.5/1.
This morning I hooked fuel pressure guage and after warmup proceeded to do a top fuel burnout. At 6 in the morning, sorry neighbors! Guage hung right in there at 4 BAR until aroung 9000HZ then it dropped to 3.5 BAR:shock: or about 7 psi. loss.
My question is will a stock GTO fuel pump support 450ish HP? I'm running stock GTO injectors 33lbs/hr. I believe, and a stock Vette fuel filter that is mounted right next to the fuel tank, with a 3/8" steel fuel line running right next to the fuel rail. I have not checked the voltage to the pump running high load/rpm yet. The fuel pump wire to the rear of the vehicle is not that big, maybe 18 guage (not positive).
I realize this question is not really tuning related but with all of you highly experienced tuners/racers I thought it would be best served on this forum.

Thanks for your insight, John

TAQuickness
August 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Would probably be a good idea to upgrade your fuel pump and install a return line and regulator at the rail. Seems the stock fuel plumbing and regulator are not adequate to maintain a steady rail pressure on high HP applications.

ssvolvo
August 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did some searcing on LS1tech and found a post from what looks like a reputable source about the stock GTO pump supporting over 500 hp. Armed with that info I started second guessing my install as this is a conversion.
Yesterday for sh!ts and Giggles I ran a 10 guage (temporary) wire from the battery to the fuel pump connector with the engine idling. Gained 1.1 volts at the pump connector. Voltage was 13.2 @idle went to 14.3 with larger guage wire. I know 10 guage is overkill but since I ran a length of truck 5/16" airline as a conduit to the rear the #10 wire fit well so I left it in.
Took a good part of the day and installed thru a fusible link this 10 guage wire to the rear of the car, fused at the pump connector.
Fuel pressure never moved off 4 BAR during seat of the pants dyno pull in driveway. There goes more of my tires!:grin:

Thanks, John