PDA

View Full Version : Weird VIN

rgullett83
August 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I read the 01 LB7 we bought tonight, and got a weird VIN number. ????i?B??C???0?&J is what is in the VIN box, I read it twice to make sure, and had the same results twice. I went on a test drive and logged it, I received the same vin message with the scan tool connected to the ECM. Any ideas?? My next day off, I am going to go to the dealer and make sure that the ECM has the latest OS from GM. 15188873 is the OS.

Riley

Blacky
August 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Can you send the *.tun file to me at paul@efilive.com?
Regards
Paul

rgullett83
August 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM
No problem it is on its way Paul

Sparky8370
August 16th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Isn't that an indicator of a fried ecm?

rcr1978
August 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
could a programmer have corrupt the ecm and erased the vin, I saw an 02 forget it's vin with a battery that crapped out and drained them both, dead truck had sat a while before it was relized

Blacky
August 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evidently, GM's TIS programmer will do that when things go wrong during a TIS reflash.

Once that section is damaged, the Duramax software has a hard time fixing it.
It may be difficult for EFILive to license the ECM once the VIN and serial numbers have been corrupted.

Ross, (aka GMPX) says it is best to remove the chip and reprogram it to clean up that type of mess.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
August 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
If you can license the ECM when you try to flash it then just run with it. It will save you some messing around trying to get the VIN fixed.
Unfortunately once that area of the ECM has been corrupted (TIS is known for doing it), there is no easy fix. You are actually lucky you can still read the ECM, normally when they are in this state they appear as being locked.

Cheers,
Ross

rgullett83
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Well I finally got back to the dealer, and reflashed the truck with no problems. I am curious if the ECM had been replaced, and not flashed when installed? I didn't think that was possible but who knows. Any ways all is good now.

rgullett83
September 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
I lied, as I try to reflash the ecm, I get a message that says the ecm's serial number is missing, and that a full reflash is needed. How do I accomplish that? I have tried several times to reflash it, and get the same message. I cant even get to the message to lisence the ecm. help please. here is the new file that I read after reflashing with TIS 2000.

Thanks,

Riley

GMPX
September 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
A full flash is done by pressing the reflash icon next to the normal calibration reflash icon.
FYI, the serial number of that ECM has been wiped clean by TIS.

Cheers,
Ross

rgullett83
September 2nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
That Icon is not available, just the read Icon, and the cal only flash buttons are available. Also I am just curious, as to why Tis wiped out the serial number.

rcr1978
September 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
x2 mine was minus its serial after the new ecm from the squeeler.

GMPX
September 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
That Icon is not available, just the read Icon, and the cal only flash buttons are available. Also I am just curious, as to why Tis wiped out the serial number.

That might be because your registration details are not entered correctly, try restarting the software with the V2 plugged in to the USB port before you run the software.

Cheers,
Ross

rgullett83
September 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Ok I will try that.

Thanks!