PDA

View Full Version : Noob PCM Flash Question

drhendrix
November 17th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Is it necessary to have a laptop PC connected to the PCM interface cable to reprogram or flash the PCM, or, can the PCM be flashed from the data logger?

In other words, could I use my desktop PC to set up a flash file, transfer it to the data logger, hook up the data logger in the car, and transfer the new flash to the PCM?

Thanks
Dennis Roberts

AllCammedUp
November 17th, 2004, 06:01 AM
From what I understand, the black-box data logger is just that. It can accept a download of PID's from the scan software and that is what tells the data logger what to data log. However, having the flashscan interface actually store the calibration in an 'off-line' mode to later be flashed is not a current feature.

Drake
November 17th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Maybe you could buy/build a lower end PC to use in your garage for reflashing purposes.

Oh, and not to be a thread-stealer or anything, but what are the minimum requirements for the new version? I plan on building a PC for garage use only... Thanks.

AllCammedUp
November 17th, 2004, 06:26 AM
That's what I would do, as well. Just get a lower-end Laptop or a 'garage' PC and go from there.

The beta testers are running it on a pretty wide variety of configurations. Basically anything from Windows98+ works, but you want to make sure you've got good USB support if you are running Win95. Personally, I'd run it with Win2K or XP (if possible), as they are the currently-supported OS's (for the time being) and you shouldn't have any trouble with them as long as you have the hardware and the RAM to run them.

I'm not sure of the RAM requirements. but a quick look at task manager says that the scanner and tuner together take up about 32MB of RAM with no scan log or calibration loaded, so just make sure you have enough to run the OS + 48MB or so of additional RAM to make it so that the OS won't swap when you load a log file w/ the scanner or a calibration w/ the tuner.

Blacky
November 17th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Is it necessary to have a laptop PC connected to the PCM interface cable to reprogram or flash the PCM, or, can the PCM be flashed from the data logger?

In other words, could I use my desktop PC to set up a flash file, transfer it to the data logger, hook up the data logger in the car, and transfer the new flash to the PCM?

Thanks
Dennis Roberts

A PC/laptop is required for reflashing. But with FlashScan's onboard flash memory it could be altered (with a firmware upgrade) to perform reading and reflash duties as a standalone unit. It is something we have spent considerable time researching.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 17th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Maybe you could buy/build a lower end PC to use in your garage for reflashing purposes.

Oh, and not to be a thread-stealer or anything, but what are the minimum requirements for the new version? I plan on building a PC for garage use only... Thanks.

Our recommendations have not been finalised yet but they will be close to:

Recommended:
Windows 2K or XP
Pentium 800MHz or faster
64Mb of available RAM
32Mb of disk (not including tuner files or log files)
1280x1024 screen size for editing and offline scan analysis (i.e. desktop)
1024x768 screen size for reflashing/reading and/or scanning (i.e. in car laptop)
1 USB port
CD ROM drive

Minimum:
Windows 95, 98
Pentium 500MHz
32Mb of available RAM
1024x768 screen size for editing and offline scan analysis (i.e. desktop)
800x600 screen size for reflashing/reading and/or scanning (i.e. in car laptop)
1 USB port
CD ROM drive

Regards
Paul

drhendrix
November 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. Blacky, do you intend to add the stand alone firmware in the future? It would be very nice to do all of the software work on a desktop PC and not have to own a laptop as well.

Dennis

Black02SS
November 17th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks
Dennis Roberts

A PC/laptop is required for reflashing. But with FlashScan's onboard flash memory it could be altered (with a firmware upgrade) to perform reading and reflash duties as a standalone unit. It is something we have spent considerable time researching.

Regards
Paul

Man, wouldn't that sure be nice. :D

87gmc
November 17th, 2004, 11:48 AM

Our recommendations have not been finalised yet but they will be close to:

Recommended:
Windows 2K or XP
Pentium 800MHz or faster
64Mb of available RAM
1280x1024 screen size for editing and offline scan analysis (i.e. desktop)
1024x768 screen size for reflashing/reading and/or scanning (i.e. in car laptop)
1 USB port
CD ROM drive

Minimum:
Windows 95, 98
Pentium 500MHz
32Mb of available RAM
1024x768 screen size for editing and offline scan analysis (i.e. desktop)
800x600 screen size for reflashing/reading and/or scanning (i.e. in car laptop)
1 USB port
CD ROM drive

Regards
Paul

Paul is this for logging or can a pentium 333 be used to strickly flash? might be time to sell the laptop

Blacky
November 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
For reflashing it should be fine.
Data logging is also fine with low CPU speeds if you do not have any graphics (dashbaord or charts or maps) visible. Since redrawing them is CPU intensive.

I just tested a full PCM read and a calibration reflash on my lowest spec machine: a Toshiba 460CDT Stellite Pro 233MHz Win2K.
It works fine, the CPU/task meter showed EFILive using around 1% to 3% of the CPU (for both reading and writing), hardly what you would call a "load".
So for reflashing and reading you will be fine with 333MHz

However, we will not be officially recommending that you use something that slow. We need to keep a performance buffer up our sleeves when we publish specifications. And the specs need to cover all features of the software. The editor for example uses rotating 3D surface maps, they take a fair amount of CPU to redraw in full color in real time.

Regards
Paul

87gmc
November 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
I will just use the laptop strickly for reflashing. I have a desktop that runs at 1400 mhz with 512 ram. I will be doing all the editing there and just use the laptop to load the pcm.