PDA

View Full Version : EFILive 7/.5/8.1 question... where to ask?

Goldfinger911
August 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
UPDATE: Now, I cant install the latest 8.1. It says that is must install the previous version of 8.1 (which there is none) and then it errors with Error Code 2718. I have wiped every trace of EFILive and InstallAware from the PC and the 8.1 install still thinks there is a previous version of 8.1.

Where else does the install routine place files or settings?

I searched and found nothing. :(

=================================
ORIGINAL POST: I dont know if I should ask this here or where... but I have noticed several times on my PC with the latest BBL release... I will go to start the 8.1 Auto Update Config wizard.. and I get an error that EFILive8.1.xxx.exe cannot be found. Then I look in my 8.1 folder and there are duplicates of all of the folders. The second copies of the folder have a "(2)" at the end of the name?

Is this supposed to happen? I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, cleaned the registry and get the same thing. It only happens after a few days... maybe the auto update runs and messes things up? I have never seen this before.

The next time it happens, I will post a screenshot.

-

Goldfinger911
August 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
SOLVED IT.

Turns out, the EFILive auto update I had set to auto-download and auto-install. The Installation was frozen or hung. I suspect this was due to McAfee's System Guard (a feature in their AV Suite) but I could not tell for sure. I combed the registry and filesystem and found no traces of an 8.1x install. I had to use the following tool from Microsoft to fix the hung/corrupted install.

The Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

I ran it, it unstuck the hung install, then I got a list of installed or partially installed apps. At the top was the v8.1.xxx install. I selected it and clicked remove. WHam. Now I can install v8.1 and v7.5x with no errors or problems.