PDA

View Full Version : LB7/LLY DSP5 V2 update

GMPX
August 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi All,

Well to think these DSP5 updates have been sitting around since early 2008 waiting for final completion. So, finally I pushed everything aside and got them ready for public pre-release.

The update to the DSP5 Operating systems is to allow users with the V2 hardware to switch their tunes directly from the V2 with no hardwire switch needed. It also has another feature where the user can enter in a password in the tune file. The only way the ECM will accept the commands to switch tunes is by entering in the same password in the V2.

Obviously the idea behind this is to set up one of the DSP tunes as a valet mode then it's as simple as switching the valet mode on and taking the V2 with you (it should look nice in your partners handbag). The only way the tune can be switched out of valet mode is by entering the correct password in to the V2. Even if you unplug the ECM from the truck it will still be in valet mode until the V2 switches the tune.

The .tun file Operating systems numbers remain the same as the previous ones. You can also still use any existing scripts on the new DSP5 operating systems. The default mode for the switch input is for Hardwired, not Serial Data switched from V2.

There is no system in place to patch existing DSP5 tunes in to the new OS's. We may tend to that in the future depending on feedback, though it won't happen ASAP. For those wanting to convert just a few trucks running the existing DSP5 tunes you would be best off to create some new scripts to do this for you.

This release is considered as 'pre-release'. If you are not 100% confident in working with DSP tunes then you might want to sit back and see how others go.

Below are the two links to the new files.

Edit: Links removed, the updated DSP files are now included with the current full install package of v7.5.5

There is a self extracting rar archive and a new tutorial to download.

The file archive needs to be copied in to the following directory -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations

You should save the pdf tutorial in to this directory -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc\Tutorials

When you run the .exe in the folder shown above it will place the .calz file in the correct folders.
Please read through the tutorial, it should explain clear enough what needs to be done to use the updated operating systems.

Please post any problems in here if possible rather than spread over the various other Diesel forums, or at least provide a link on here to a question asked elsewhere.

And before anyone asks, this is only for LB7 and LLY, not LBZ/LMM.

Cheers,
Ross

Sparky8370
September 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM
OK The os id displayed is v5, how do I get it to be v6.

If the file is the enhanced DSP5 with serial data switching ability then the OS ID
(circled in Green) should show as V6. The 2007 first release DSP5 will show V5.
Oh, and you should make this a sticky.

EDIT:nevermind, I guess I needed to type \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations as the destination file for the first download on the list, I thought it would do this automatically.

Sparky8370
September 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM
When I try to do this step

Configuring the V2 for DSP5 Tune Switching
To configure the V2 for tune switching you need to have the V2 connected to your PC’s
USB port. Run the program ‘EFILive Explorer’ which is in the V8.1 folder.
You now need to copy on to the V2 device the following files –
LB7.pmm
OR
LLY.pmm
AND
Options.ini
This is done by following the steps below:
• Click on to the ‘Config Files’ Tab. Maybe some verbage needs to be added here. Like if this is the first time, click format before the next step.
• Locate the folder ‘\Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\Config’ in the green window field.
• Highlight either LB7.pmm OR LLY.pmm depending on your vehicle type.
• Then drag your selection in to the area shown in the picture below.

I get error $0005

EDIT: I clicked the config files tab, then I clicked the format button then followed the instructions listed and it worked.

GMPX
September 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks, you tend to forget that format step when the last time you did it was err 2007!

Cheers,
Ross

Sparky8370
September 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Hey Ross, can you make this thread a sticky? I didn't even see it until the night before last, then I came back looking for it.

EDIT: I meant to ask, how will I change the tunes with the v2? I haven't tried it yet, will it just be obvious? Will I be able to change them driving down the road, or will there be a process that wouldn't allow that?

Blacky
September 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
The tunes can be switched by a menu option on FlashScan:
F3 Tuning Tool -> F3 Switchable Tunes.

You can customize the 5 tune names in the Options.ini file.
You must select the correct controller (as if you were going to log PIDs) before the switching option will work because FlashScan must be told what controller is going to be switched.

I'd recommend at least stopping your vehicle before changing tunes but there is nothing that prevents you from changing tunes while driving down the highway.

Regards
Paul

Sparky8370
September 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
The tunes can be switched by a menu option on FlashScan:
F3 Tuning Tool -> F3 Switchable Tunes.
I had tried it before reading this. I found those options.
You can customize the 5 tune names in the Options.ini file.
Thanks, I read that part in the tutorial and have renamed them
You must select the correct controller (as if you were going to log PIDs) before the switching option will work because FlashScan must be told what controller is going to be switched.
AHHHHH! So that's why it's not working! It says that this option is not available for the selected controller, or something like that. I could not find a way to change the selected controller, and assumed that maybe that's what the lb7.pmm file was that I dragged down into the box in efiexplorer

I'd recommend at least stopping your vehicle before changing tunes but there is nothing that prevents you from changing tunes while driving down the highway.

Regards
Paul
So how do you select the controller? I don't remember reading anything like that in the tutorial. I'll go back and re-read it and try searching here but I don't see any option for that.

Sparky8370
September 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Ok I went back and read the quick reference that comes with 8.1 It appears to show the first option to select is "select vehicle", yet mine doesn't do that. My first menu when you plug it in is
F1 Select PIDS
F2 Scan Tool
F3 Tuning Tool
F4 Options

In the quick reference guide, it shows the F1 option as being as select vehicle.
When I press F1 it says options.ini not found.

Edit: I think I got it, I'm gonna go give it a shot.
When I was configuring the v2 to work to switch my tunes as per the tutorial, I dragged \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\ Programs\Images\Options
instead of \Program Files\EFILive\V8.1\ Programs\Options into the box in efi explorer

Edit #2: It should be noted that in order to be able to select the LB7 auto, that the AL5.pmm needs to be dragged down. The LB7.pmm file that I dragged down is good for the LB7 manual selection

Edit#3: It now lets me select switchable tunes, and they are labeled as I changed them. I tried switching to one of them. It says:
Tune switching is not supported in this controllers calibration, or something close to that. I'm gonna try selecting the LB7 manual, maybe they are switched.

Sparky8370
September 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Well it works now. I start my truck, plug in V2. F1 Select PIDS>LB7 Manual
then F3 tuning tool>F3 Switchable tunes. I can now select which tune I want. But I have an LB7 auto, not an LB7 manual.

GMPX
September 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Should not be a problem if you just have the Manual selected, if you try the Auto it will also be looking for the Allison pmm file.
For switching tunes this won't cause a problem.

Cheers,
Ross

Sparky8370
September 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Should not be a problem if you just have the Manual selected, if you try the Auto it will also be looking for the Allison pmm file.
For switching tunes this won't cause a problem.

Cheers,
Ross
It was looking for the AL5.pmm (I'm assuming that's allison 5 speed), so I dragged that down in efi explorer and it didn't work.

chloeourdog
September 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM
DSP5 V2 works great - I just ported a couple of tunes to DSP5 and went for a drive. (Remember to make sure you choose the correct units for everything before running the LLY DSP script otherwise you will end up like I did yesterday with little boost and a very bad case of tranny defueling (among other things.)

This is the BEST release yet! Looking for standalone tune loading next .... I know - release 8 :)

Great job EFILive! I am smiling now with DSP5 V2!

GMPX
September 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
There is a couple of LB7 guys with some issues of random limp mode with these latest releases but otherwise things seem ok.
Please see here - http://forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=76828&postcount=1

Cheers,
Ross