PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ZR1 tune, a quick look.

GMPX
August 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hi All,

Just about done mapping the new 2009 ZR1, see what you think about the important tables.....

VE Table:
http://download2.efilive.com/Staff/GMPX/ZR1_VVE.png

High Octane Spark Table:
http://download2.efilive.com/Staff/GMPX/ZR1_Spark.png

Power Enrichment:
http://download2.efilive.com/Staff/GMPX/ZR1_PE.png

I'm just going to wait for the prices of them to drop to about $35K and I'll buy one :doh2:.
Of interest, these do use an E67 ECM and it looks like they have a 6600 RPM limiter.
It will be interesting to see how different the 2009 CTS-V tune is going to be.

Cheers,
Ross

mr.prick
August 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM
did you get to drive it?
:sleigh:

GMPX
August 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Ah no, but some lucky person did.

GMPX
August 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Well, thinking about it, I would be too nervous to drive a car worth that much and actually give it some stick.

Cheers,
Ross

mr.prick
August 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Ah no, but some lucky person did.

bummer :frown:
LOL
i forgot to ask if it was left-hand drive.:hihi:

nonnieselman
August 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Those are some funny lookin tables..
Especially the PE!
And i thought my VE and Spark table needed some help...

Nice find!

Bruce Melton
August 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM
I thought it was to be E-38 and the MAF table was :

There were 11 of them (GM Exec ZR1s) at the Corvette Museum Track day @ Road America the other day. Impressive but not out of reach of a prepared C5-C6 LS7. Note their quick reply to the BBV Jake C6R insignia.

GMPX
August 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I thought it was to be E-38 and the MAF table was :

They have to use the E67 because it is able to control the Supercharger/Intercooler functions and has provision for the 2nd IAT sensor, the E38 doesn't have enough inputs/outputs, yet has all the code in the ECM to do so!, but I guess if there is no spare pins then there is nothing that can be done but to swap ECM's.
It probably made sense to swap it to the E67 anyway given the CTS-V will be sharing (more or less) the same motor and it's always run the E67.

I also agree with what you are saying on the prepared Corvette comparison, I'm sure there is a number of cars (and trucks!) owned by people on this forum who will out run a new ZR1. I think it's more about the prestige of owning one.

The CTS-V's look nice, but what size wheels are they?, they look at most to be 18".

Cheers,
Ross

Scoota
August 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM
What were they thinking when they did the PE's. There must be some logic behind it.

Cheers Scotty.

Bruce Melton
August 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
They have to use the E67 because it is able to control the Supercharger/Intercooler functions and has provision for the 2nd IAT sensor, the E38 doesn't have enough inputs/outputs, yet has all the code in the ECM to do so!, but I guess if there is no spare pins then there is nothing that can be done but to swap ECM's.
It probably made sense to swap it to the E67 anyway given the CTS-V will be sharing (more or less) the same motor and it's always run the E67.

I also agree with what you are saying on the prepared Corvette comparison, I'm sure there is a number of cars (and trucks!) owned by people on this forum who will out run a new ZR1. I think it's more about the prestige of owning one.

The CTS-V's look nice, but what size wheels are they?, they look at most
to be 18".

Cheers,
Ross

Overview
Body style / driveline: rear-drive four-door high-performance luxury sedan
Construction: unitized welded steel body with direct-mounted front cradle and rubber-isolated, multilink independent rear suspension assembly body lowered 15mm overall as compared to standard CTS
Engine
Type: 6.2L supercharged V-8 (LSA)
Bore & stroke (in): 4.06 x 3.62
Block material: cast aluminum
Cylinder head material: cast aluminum
Valvetrain: overhead valve, 2 valves per cylinder
Supercharger: Gen. 6 R19 with single brick intercooler; 1.9L displacement w/4-lobe rotor design
Compression ratio: 9.0:1
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 550 @ 6200 (est)
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 550 @ 6200 (est)
Additional features: pan-mounted oil cooler; cast pistons; high-flow cylinder heads; block-mounted piston squirters; steel crankshaft w/ 8-bolt flange; close-mounted converters; acoustic engine cover; E67 engine controller
Transmissions
Type: Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual; fully synchronized with two overdrive gears
Gear ratios (:1)
First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.80 (Overdriven)
Sixth: 0.63 (Overdriven)
Reverse: 2.90
Final Drive Ratio: 3.73
Type Optional Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive with torque converter clutch
Gear ratios (:1)
First: 4.02
Second: 2.36
Third: 1.53
Fourth: 1.15
Fifth: 0.85 (Overdriven)
Sixth: 0.67 (Overdriven)
Reverse: 3.06
Final Drive Ratio: 3.23
Chassis & Suspension
Front suspension: independent SLA; 29 mm hollow stabilizer bar; elastomeric handling and ride bushings; 65-N/mm spring rate; Magnetic Ride Control with electro-magnetically controlled shocks
Rear suspension: independent multilink; 25 mm hollow stabilizer bar; elastomeric trailing arm bushing; 90-N/mm spring rate; Magnetic Ride Control with electromagnetically controlled shocks
Wheels: 19 x 9-inch; forged alloy, 5-lug (front)
19 x 9.5-inch, forged alloy, 5-lug (rear)
Tires: 255/40R19 Michelin PS2; summer Y-rated (front) 285/35R19 Michelin PS2; summer Y-rated (rear)
Brakes: four-wheel disc with four-channel ABS, hydraulic brake assist and dynamic rear brake proportioning
Front rotors: vented; co-cast; 14.57-in x 1.34-in
Rear rotors: vented; 14.37-in X 1.10-in
Front calipers: aluminum; six-piston
Rear calipers: aluminum; four-piston
Final Drive Ratio: 3.73
Additional features: standard: StabiliTrak (four-channel, four mode); traction control; engine drag control optional: Performance Traction Management
Dimensions
Exterior
Wheelbase (in): 113.4
Overall length (in): 191.6
Overall width (in): 72.5
Overall height (in): 58.0
Track (in): front: 61.8 rear: 62.0
Curb weight (lb): manual: 4200 (est) automatic: 4300 (est)
Interior
Headroom (in): front: 38.8 rear: 37.2
Leg room (in): front: 42.4 rear: 35.9
Shoulder room (in): front: 56.7 rear: 57.4
Hip room (in): front: 55.1 rear: 54.1
Note: Information shown is current at time of publication. Please visit our GM Media web site at http://media.gm.com for updates.

Redline Motorsports
August 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
What were they thinking when they did the PE's. There must be some logic behind it.

Cheers Scotty.

That just cracks me up! :doh2:

That's exactly what it looks like on a dyno graph when logging AFR. Saw tooth!

I wonder how many grams/cylinder that motor measures at full wick!

Highlander
August 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
That PE table is proof that they didn't do the VE and MAF correctly.

Bruce Melton
August 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
The PEs since 06 E38s are not pretty but the PCM is very fast so maybe some overshoot is inevitable?

Highlander
August 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
No, very much doubt it.. with more reason to be where they should be...

I mean.. they are 10.x AFR from factory when measured with the wideband.

My guess is that it was MUCH easier to tune the PE table for "accurate" readings on the tail than redoing the whole MAF/VE tables, since they probably use a "calibrated" MAF with its correct table. Add to that, that they want the car to be SUPER safe regarding piston temps and you get that 10.x afr on the PE.

Engines vary much in their tuning needs, even from the same production line. So the best "mean" tune is what they input there.

Bruce Melton
August 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
I agree as to the why the AFRs are intentionally rich, but what I was referring to is why the commanded graph is so jagged compared to lS1/6 controlled fueling. However, it also seems like LS7 power and to some degree torque respond less dramatically to leaner AFRs.
Tuning the PE AFR on the GEN 4 controlled cars seems to me to be much more "touchy". Smoothing the table seems to be counterproductive.
Bruce

No, very much doubt it.. with more reason to be where they should be...

I mean.. they are 10.x AFR from factory when measured with the wideband.

My guess is that it was MUCH easier to tune the PE table for "accurate" readings on the tail than redoing the whole MAF/VE tables, since they probably use a "calibrated" MAF with its correct table. Add to that, that they want the car to be SUPER safe regarding piston temps and you get that 10.x afr on the PE.

Engines vary much in their tuning needs, even from the same production line. So the best "mean" tune is what they input there.

TAQuickness
August 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM
Great work Ross...

They have to use the E67 because it is able to control the Supercharger/Intercooler functions and has provision for the 2nd IAT

I may consider upgrading my PCM for the TT build....

Overview...
Bore & stroke (in): 4.06 x 3.62
Block material: cast aluminum

I wonder what they're doing to keep the mains in place...

thunder550
August 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hardware wise, those cars should be ready to put down some very serious numbers with just a pulley change on the blower. Is the tune set up to accommodate that, or does it look like there will have to additional work done to make it work at higher boost numbers?

edit, just looked at the VE table...that MAP sensor values in the table go all the way to 255kPa? What is that, 2.5 bar or so? If so, that's sweet :)

TAQuickness
August 22nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
255 kPa - 100 kPa (sea level) = 155 kPa or 1.55 bars or 22.48 PSI of boost.

Chuck CoW
August 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well, I spent the last week at Corvettes @ Carlisle...As my guys were wrapping up my booth, I noticed one of the GM guys jumping (dead battery) the new ZR1.

So, who do you think wandered over to him and bribed him to let me pull the tune from the new blue ZR1??!!?!?:angel_innocent:

Well, a quick look at the vin number showed "EX" as the final 2 digits..EX means "EXPERIMENTAL"....

The dude was shitting....I was this (put fingers close together indicating thousands of an inch) close to cracking him, but...at the last second he caved in and declined....Some fairy nonsense about losing his job or something...:hihi:

This sucks...When I was in Kentucky a few months back...I tried and the GM engineers in the white shirts looked at me funny....and this time....I CAME SOOOO CLOSE....but just missed it....

There's always the third try!

Maybe Ross will just drop it in my e-mail without me even asking...????:angel_innocent:

Who knows?
Chuck CoW

Highlander
August 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Can a E67 ECM be installed on a ls1?

GMPX
August 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Highlander, I would doubt it as it pretty much shares the same code as the E38 which of course is all 58x based.

Chuck, Google and TIS2Web might be your friend too :angel_innocent:

Cheers,
Ross

Redline Motorsports
August 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, I spent the last week at Corvettes @ Carlisle...As my guys were wrapping up my booth, I noticed one of the GM guys jumping (dead battery) the new ZR1.

So, who do you think wandered over to him and bribed him to let me pull the tune from the new blue ZR1??!!?!?:angel_innocent:

Well, a quick look at the vin number showed "EX" as the final 2 digits..EX means "EXPERIMENTAL"....

The dude was shitting....I was this (put fingers close together indicating thousands of an inch) close to cracking him, but...at the last second he caved in and declined....Some fairy nonsense about losing his job or something...:hihi:

This sucks...When I was in Kentucky a few months back...I tried and the GM engineers in the white shirts looked at me funny....and this time....I CAME SOOOO CLOSE....but just missed it....

There's always the third try!

Maybe Ross will just drop it in my e-mail without me even asking...????:angel_innocent:

Who knows?
Chuck CoW

Like you'll l see one............:secret:

LOL!!!!!!!!

I should have one on my dyno by end of September when GM starts releasing them!

Howard

Chuck CoW
August 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM
VIN # anyone???

Let's try that way.....

Chuck CoW

Bruce Melton
August 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM
The ones @RA a few weeks ago were "Manufacturer" cars with paper label Vin# over the metal stamping.

Chuck CoW
August 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
The ones @RA a few weeks ago were "Manufacturer" cars with paper label Vin# over the metal stamping.

Mine said... "EX" for the last 2 digits of the vin on the metal tag....

Kinda neat....

Chuck CoW

ssvolvo
August 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
1G1YY26U575118830

Ya just gotta love EBAY!

GMPX
August 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Mmm, typical Ebay, that is not a ZR1 VIN according to www.carfax.com (http://www.carfax.com)

VIN1G1YY26U575118830
2007 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 6.0L V8 SFI

Cheers,
Ross

roy
August 28th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Try this 1GYY25R695700001
This checks out as a ZR1 Vin on carfax but errors out in TIS2WEB

1998ws6
August 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
google is your friend :)

Sid447
August 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
General question to both GMPX and EFI-Live Admin,

Is there some reason why the GM tunes are looking more rough (the PE table posted at the start of this thread for the LS9 is a good example)
Or if that isn't the right description then the more recent GM tunes don't appear to be as carefully formatted as some of the earlier tunes for example.

The '01 ZO6 tune comes to mind as one of the "nicest" tunes seen.
The basic tune didn't change that much for the '02 ZO6 either, and in turn the '02 ZO6 tune is identical to an '03 and '04 ZO6.

So one can only assume that the attention and time spent on the first ZO6 factory tune (2001) paid off in as much as they pretty much got it right first time?

Whereas most of the newer tunes look like they've been done in a hurry and seem to have poor attention to detail.

GMPX
August 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well, I can't explain why GM do any of what they do. I mean why would they 'really' need to have released over 25 operating systems for the E38 in a 2 year period!

I don't know why some tunes seem rougher than others, it does seem odd that they would go from 12.4:1 AFR to 11.02:1 AFR within the space of 1500RPM in the PE table on the LS2 Vette, yet the same year SUV's, trucks seem 'normal'.

I'm sure they have their reasons, I just don't know what they are, but I have a feeling they probably aren't looking at nice 2D/3D graphs like you guys get to.

Cheers,
Ross

Scoota
September 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
Well, I can't explain why GM do any of what they do. I mean why would they 'really' need to have released over 25 operating systems for the E38 in a 2 year period!

I don't know why some tunes seem rougher than others, it does seem odd that they would go from 12.4:1 AFR to 11.02:1 AFR within the space of 1500RPM in the PE table on the LS2 Vette, yet the same year SUV's, trucks seem 'normal'.

I'm sure they have their reasons, I just don't know what they are, but I have a feeling they probably aren't looking at nice 2D/3D graphs like you guys get to.

Cheers,
Ross

I think it's all about making it more work for guy's like you Ross. It's just that bureaucratic world we live in.

Cheers Scotty.

Highlander
October 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Sorry.. my question should have been.. Can an E67 PCM be installed in an ls2 E38 Car? just plug and play?

Thanks

GMPX
October 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Could be plug and play except one has 2 connectors the other has 3!

Cheers,
Ross

jamesbond2509
August 18th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Ross,

Im trying to tune my ls9 cam in my lq4 - Im wondering if I can use the same high octane table - it sure looks different but im intrigued by thinking that the high LSA may require more aggressive timing to optumized. Any thoughts?

Thanks

James Bond