PDA

View Full Version : First timer trouble w. GENIV, read ECU (E38) and TCM what about the BCM?

harascho
August 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
Hi folks,

I am converting a '97 Tahoe to the latest GEN 5.3 (AFM and Flex fuel)
Today I built my bench harness to connect DLC connector, ECU (E38), TCM and the BCM to EFI live.
I could connect to ECU and TCM, could also read and store the .tun files (ECU is a 2007 Avalanche 2wd, LMG ). But the BCM is invisible. I think EFI live may not be able to read the BCM? Any ideas?

Also I wanted to go deeper into the E38's programming, for my conversion I need the speed sensor output enabled and programmed for the correct pulses /mile to use them for my '97 antilock system. But looking to the speedo section in EFI live only showd me the "normal" stuff as final drive, tires, ...

Thanks for your help

Harald

GMPX
August 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Nice conversion you have there.
EFILive does not do anything with the BCM but read and clear DTC's on it. There is no programming options for it.
I'm not sure the E38 has a physical speedo output, it might be just a message send over the CAN bus.

Cheers,
Ross

ChipsByAl
August 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
You might be able to run an additional vss wired to a DRAC from a pre OBD2 truck for your input to the ABS and cluster if necessary.

harascho
August 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
That's what I wanted to do first. Then I saw that VSS PIN on the E38 ECU.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn67/harascho_album/spedd_sensor_07_3.jpg

and someone told me this PIN could be programmed to the correct pulses/mile.

The DRAC is my backup plan if that ECU PIN is not what we think it is.

GMPX
August 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Interesting, I'll take a look Monday.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
August 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Looks like that is a real VSS output indeed.
Did you actually wire it up?
However, there is a parameter that appears to be a enabler for that output. If it is activated then something else might stop (I'm not sure).
I'll need to add the enabler in to the calibrations.

Cheers,
Ross

harascho
August 25th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks Ross for your help.

I didn't wire it up so far 'cause most of the wiring does exist only on paper, that means my schematics are almost up to 95% but I didn't start the wiring of the harness. In the moment it's just the work before the real work..

If you think it is worth a try I will wire the VSS output. Besides a way to enable it there should also be a parameter to set the correct pulses/mile??

Do you need anything from this ECU? ( It's a '07 Avalanche 2wd LMG). I will have to change the .tun file anyway to a suitable LMG 4wd application.
I thought about changing the VIN's both of the TCM and ECU to match the VIN of the BCM (1GKFK163X7R007000) 'cause so far I have no access to a TECH II or similar to reprogramm the BCM.

By the way you said EFIlive is able to read and clear DTC's of the BCM. I built a bench harness where the BCM is connected, has powersupply and with the IGN signal I switch the serial data enable to 12V, no other BCM connections are made... that should lead to a big number of DTC's, but nothing..no single DTC on the CAN bus from the BCM... any ideas on this Ross ?

And last is the .tun file interesting to post it on holden crazy? If yes I will do so..

harascho
August 25th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks Ross for your help.

I didn't wire it up so far 'cause most of the wiring does exist only on paper, that means my schematics are almost up to 95% but I didn't start the wiring of the harness. In the moment it's just the work before the real work..

If you think it is worth a try I will wire the VSS output. Besides a way to enable it there should also be a parameter to set the correct pulses/mile??

Do you need anything from this ECU? ( It's a '07 Avalanche 2wd LMG). I will have to change the .tun file anyway to a suitable LMG 4wd application.
I thought about changing the VIN's both of the TCM and ECU to match the VIN of the BCM (1GKFK163X7R007000) 'cause so far I have no access to a TECH II or similar to reprogramm the BCM.

By the way you said EFIlive is able to read and clear DTC's of the BCM. I built a bench harness where the BCM is connected, has powersupply and with the IGN signal I switch the serial data enable to 12V, no other BCM connections are made... that should lead to a big number of DTC's, but nothing..no single DTC on the CAN bus from the BCM... any ideas on this Ross ?

And last is the .tun file interesting to post it on holden crazy? If yes I will do so..

Forgot to say the VIN of the BCM is an RPO code LC9 ( aluminum block) so the question is, could I use this VIN as THE VIN for ECU, TCM and BCM and actually have an RPO Code LMG engine and .tun file in the ECU???

Harald

Has anybody a .tun file ( and correct operating system with it..) of a 4wd 5.3 LMG engine ?
if yes , it would be very welcome to haraldschoener@yahoo.de

Thx a lot

GMPX
August 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yes it's worth a try for sure. The pulses per mile will still be calculated from the normal H0xxx parameters, it won't be a specific thing for that output.

I'm not sure if the BCM's primary communications is CAN or VPW? (might be a mix of both). I don't think the V2 will read DTC's from all modules on all comms buses. It will see all CAN modules but not VPW or the other way around. I'll get Paul to confirm that.

What you probably need to do is fire up Google and search for the exact model that is using your engine / trans combo. Then use that VIN as the reference to getting the correct files.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
August 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think the V2 will read DTC's from all modules on all comms buses. It will see all CAN modules but not VPW or the other way around. I'll get Paul to confirm that.

FlashScan tries to communicate using CAN first, if that is successful then it only communicates in CAN from then on.
If CAN is not successful it tries VPW, if that is successful then it uses VPW from then on.

It will not communicate with multiple modules using multiple protocols.
It will only communicate with multiple module using the same protocol.

Regards
Paul

harascho
August 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM
However, there is a parameter that appears to be a enabler for that output. If it is activated then something else might stop (I'm not sure).

Cheers,
Ross

Ross, could you add this enable parameter into a '07 4wd LMG engine.tun file and mail it to me with the correct operation system?
My email was in a post of this thread.

Thank you for your help

Harald

GMPX
August 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM
You need to be a bit more specific, need an OS, not a year model (too many OS's per year).

Cheers,
Ross

harascho
August 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
12597121 86ynauk16194d88a

12605897 YNAU

These are the No on the ECU. originally it came out of an Avalanche: 3GNEC12047G152683 RPO LMG, but 2wd

I need an LMG .tun file for a '07 4wd.. is that all you need Ross??

Harald

GMPX
August 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
If you can find a VIN on the internet that is LMG 07 4WD I can get you the correct ECM file.

Cheers,
Ross

harascho
August 29th, 2008, 05:17 AM
This one is a '07 Tahoe 5,3 LMG:

1GNFK13027R336350

If you could email me .tun file and correct operating system to haraldschoener@yahoo.de that would be great.
If you have the correct .tun file for the 4L60E tranny for the above VIN you should send this too.

Thanks a lot in advance

Harald

harascho
September 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Did you find something suitable, Ross?

GMPX
September 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Eventually..........

harascho
September 4th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Thank you Ross for the tun files. Do I need a different OS to use these files? My OS in the ECU I have was posted somewhere in the beginning of this thread.

Harald

GMPX
September 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, those two OS's match for that year SUV and that engine combo. If you existing ECM and TCM don't have that they won't work.

Cheers,
Ross

harascho
September 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Ok Ross, that sounds good to me.... this is done.

Did you think about :

Are there any cal files avaiable which support that VSS output enabler..?

Harald