PDA

View Full Version : tune help, very high idle

BROKE
August 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
i have no idea whats goin on here, its idleing at like 2400 and wont go down. IAC steps are at 0 at idle. The car has a 224 cam, headers/ypipe/catback, ls6 intake, slp lid/kn filter. Ive replaced the IAC already and no change.

Biggsy
August 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Vacuum leak? (would be a big one)
Throttle stop adjusted wrong?
Is it a std throttle body?

Sid447
August 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
i have no idea whats goin on here, its idleing at like 2400 and wont go down. IAC steps are at 0 at idle. The car has a 224 cam, headers/ypipe/catback, ls6 intake, slp lid/kn filter. Ive replaced the IAC already and no change.

Who did your tune.

There are parameters in there from an A4 car.

Also the Timing in B5932, 5933, 5913 and 5914 is abnormally high.
B4307,4308 are too high also.

If you are able, flash in a 2002 ZO6 tune and take it from there. GM spent a long time validating these factory tunes and the ZO6 tune should work sufficiently well enough for the mods you have on the car atm.

mr.prick
August 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM
{B4307} maybe set a little higher than needed.
have you checked for a vacuum leak?

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Who did your tune???

There are parameters in there from an A4 car.

Also the Timing in B5932, 5933, 5913 and 5914 is abnormally high.
B4307,4308 are too high also.

Holy $h!t!!! You weren't kidding.

Whoever did this tune....wow! http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/shake.gif

A little 224 cam doesn't need anywhere near 43* of timing to idle. Nor should it be running 32* at WOT unless maybe you're fighting some serious altitude.

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Whoever did this tune....wow! http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/shake.gif

A little 224 cam doesn't need anywhere near 43* of timing to idle. Nor should it be running 32* at WOT unless maybe you're fighting some serious altitude.

im not sure who did the tune, it came with the car. It seems to run balls rich and stutter at WOT.

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
i figured out the high idle was cause by pin 79 on the red plug being pulled out, it still runs shitty though.

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM

lol, no altitude issues in austin

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM
stick or auto?

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 06:34 AM
stick or auto?
stick

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Any idea what kind of injectors are in it?

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Try this one. It's a LOT different than what they did originally. Timing is at much safer levels. I didn't mess too much with fueling though. You need to check that with a WBO2. You'll also need to dial in the Desired Airflow table with the RAFIG procedure (search for it - it's on here somewhere).

This won't be perfect. But, it's a step in the right direction IMO.

**Disclaimer** I can't be held responsible for what happens after you use my tune. I can only give you my word that it's much safer than what was in there. Should anything go wrong in the process, please don't sue me. http://motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif That being said, I must state that the download and use of the tune I provided is for you to proceed at your own risk. :)

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Any idea what kind of injectors are in it?

stock injectors

BROKE
August 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Try this one. It's a LOT different than what they did originally. Timing is at much safer levels. I didn't mess too much with fueling though. You need to check that with a WBO2. You'll also need to dial in the Desired Airflow table with the RAFIG procedure (search for it - it's on here somewhere).

This won't be perfect. But, it's a step in the right direction IMO.

**Disclaimer** I can't be held responsible for what happens after you use my tune. I can only give you my word that it's much safer than what was in there. Should anything go wrong in the process, please don't sue me. http://motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif That being said, I must state that the download and use of the tune I provided is for you to proceed at your own risk. :)

thanks ill take a look at this.

Sid447
August 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
i figured out the high idle was cause by pin 79 on the red plug being pulled out, it still runs shitty though.

???

August 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
broke how did u go

Thanks

Nick--

BROKE
August 25th, 2008, 03:05 AM
???

pin 79 on the red plug is for the IAC

BROKE
August 25th, 2008, 03:06 AM
broke how did u go

Thanks

Nick--

gonna try it out when i get home today

BROKE
August 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
it idles fine now but detonates like crazy under WOT lots of popping and backfiring. should i increase the PE? Decrease the PE?more or less spark? until it smoothes out?

Sid447
August 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM
it idles fine now but detonates like crazy under WOT lots of popping and backfiring. should i increase the PE? Decrease the PE?more or less spark? until it smoothes out?

PM me with your email and I'll send you an alternative tune that should address the problems you describe.

SSpdDmon
August 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM
You need to get a WBO2. I don't know if you're dumping too much or too little fuel. The timing at WOT - I pulled about 5* to a conservative 27*. You were at 32*, which is dee-de-dee IMO. Also, check to make sure everything is snug & clean under the hood (MAF wires, MAF plug, spark plug wires, etc.). I'm wondering if this is more mechanically related now.

SSpdDmon
August 28th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Do you have access to or know someone with a WBO2?

BROKE
August 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Do you have access to or know someone with a WBO2?

i have a wideband in the car, i had to send the display back to plx to get it fixed, one of the connections was loose.

SSpdDmon
August 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM
i have a wideband in the car, i had to send the display back to plx to get it fixed, one of the connections was loose.
Well, that'll let you know what you need to do with PE at WOT. Just make sure your fuel trims aren't too far out of whack with the tune I put together for you. With the way the last tuner did your timing, I woudln't be surprised if things were off fueling wise. I didn't really touch the fueling related tables.

BROKE
August 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Well, that'll let you know what you need to do with PE at WOT. Just make sure your fuel trims aren't too far out of whack with the tune I put together for you. With the way the last tuner did your timing, I woudln't be surprised if things were off fueling wise. I didn't really touch the fueling related tables.

ill have to ask the guy if he changed the injetors to the ls6 ones. My LTFT was at like -15

SSpdDmon
August 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
ill have to ask the guy if he changed the injetors to the ls6 ones. My LTFT was at like -15
That might be part of the problem. Stock injectors are 26lbers IIRC. LS6 and 98/01/02 f-body injectors are 28's. When you said you had stockers, I assumed you meant the 26-ers.

BROKE
September 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
ok, did some work on the car, retuned it but still getting some drivability issues, it bucks alot at parking lot speeds and for some reason when i come to a stop at a stop light the rpms just die.

mods:
224 cam
longtubes/ory/catback
60lb/hr injectors (for when the SC goes on)
lid/filter

BROKE
September 12th, 2008, 01:53 AM
i think the issues could be caused because im running in closed loop due to my maf being messed up, if i clear the codes and run in open loop it idles fine.

SSpdDmon
September 12th, 2008, 03:48 AM
MAF has to do with being in and out of speed density.

Open vs. closed loop has to do with commanded AFR, NBO2 sensors, and fuel trims.

The MAF being functional or non-functional has nothing to do with running in open or closed loop.

Haven't had time to look at your tune/log, but I'd be willing to bet you're hitting the min pulse width limits with those 60's and flooding the engine at idle. You'll probably need to play with the injector offset vs battery voltage and small pulse adder tables.

BROKE
September 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
MAF has to do with being in and out of speed density.

Open vs. closed loop has to do with commanded AFR, NBO2 sensors, and fuel trims.

The MAF being functional or non-functional has nothing to do with running in open or closed loop.

Haven't had time to look at your tune/log, but I'd be willing to bet you're hitting the min pulse width limits with those 60's and flooding the engine at idle. You'll probably need to play with the injector offset vs battery voltage and small pulse adder tables.

doesnt it default to closed loop if you get an SES light though?

SSpdDmon
September 12th, 2008, 04:36 AM
doesnt it default to closed loop if you get an SES light though?
If a code is thrown with the O2 sensors, you may be switched to an "open loop-fault" status. Closed loop operation is how the car comes from the factory. That is the default.

If the MAF fails, the PCM switches to a speed density air mass calculation status....but that still has nothing to do with open or closed loop.

Go here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=59137#post59137

BROKE
September 12th, 2008, 06:25 AM
If a code is thrown with the O2 sensors, you may be switched to an "open loop-fault" status. Closed loop operation is how the car comes from the factory. That is the default.

If the MAF fails, the PCM switches to a speed density air mass calculation status....but that still has nothing to do with open or closed loop.

Go here: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=59137#post59137

hmm ok, i think the issue may be i didnt scale the IFR right for the new injectors, and its running so rich at idle it just drowns

BROKE
September 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
ok, update.

i redid the IFR values and that got my idle to work perfect. Now the only issue i have is detonation under WOT from about 3k to redline. Im thinkin it has somethin to do with my PE table

Kurtomac
September 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM
just looked at the tune spddmn sent you...you have plenty of fuel 3000 and up in the PE table...try reducing timing...are you actually hearing the pinging or just seeing a timing reduction

SSpdDmon
September 15th, 2008, 04:20 AM
just looked at the tune spddmn sent you...you have plenty of fuel 3000 and up in the PE table...try reducing timing...are you actually hearing the pinging or just seeing a timing reduction
He's in a little different boat than you IIRC. I don't think his VE is tuned per the AutoVE tutorial. A shop did his tune...which means, his commanded AFR probably doesn't equal his actual. His fueling may be a touch on the lean side. Need the WBO2 to be hooked up to know for sure.

Trying 25* of timing instead of 27* as suggested may help.

BROKE
September 15th, 2008, 06:07 AM

its not really a pinging its a hesitation and a popping, almost like a backfire, it makes me think its running to rich at WOT. I have a WBO2 i just need to get some of the connectors to hook it up to efilive