PDA

View Full Version : E38 Custom OS Testing

GMPX
August 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hi All,

Just looking for a few volunteers to start testing some custom OS's for the E38. Because these are still in development the number of vehicles will be limited so any changes won't need to be applied over 20 vehicle types should there be any issues. Paul has been running one in he's Holden for over a month now with no side effects, so we are happy they are not going to cause any oddities.

Development on these custom OS's is also not a priority at this stage, they are a work in progress among all the other tasks we have going on. Main reason for this is the factory OS pretty much offers everything people need to tune any combo without the need for a custom OS.

All we ask is that you are running the latest software and V2 firmware releases and that you are able to test the custom OS's without needing a detailed walk-through on how things are done. Please don't put your hand up if you are just 'interested' to see what it's about or if you won't have full access to the vehicle that will be getting tested.
As I mentioned, these are not (in our minds) a priority to get completed, you might have to wait a day, a week (or longer) to get the custom OS sent to you, it depends on how we are traveling with other things at the time. However, we feel that it is time to at least get a few people to do some real world testing and provide some feedback.
There is zero documentation written about them too, so you will need to be up to speed on how applying and configuring custom OS's works.

Shoot me a PM for consideration. Don't be offended if we say no, remember we just need a small group to test some specific functions.
People running NOS will be most welcome :grin:

Cheers,
Ross

ringram
August 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
PM sent :)

Black02SS
August 26th, 2008, 05:20 AM
PM Sent.

swingtan
August 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yes.... PM sent

XLR8NSS
August 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Any of these custom OS' work with a MAF and 2 bar map sensor? :)

I ran into some issues with the stock OS and a 2 bar MAP sensor trying to keep the MAF.

Before anyone says ditch the MAF, I might in the future. The above is just an inquiry about the custom OS'. :)

GMPX
August 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
On an E38 / E67 there should be no issues running the MAF and 2bar, factory cars do it (XLR-V as an example).
When it comes to these controllers there is no need for a custom OS for boost, support is already in there from the factory.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
September 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
Just to make it a little clearer, these custom OS's aren't about big horsepower engines as these ECM's will happily run boosted engines without the need for a custom OS.
I've had a couple of PM's saying that they can be tested on a monster cam engine or twin turbo builds, again, nice engines, but the factory OS will run these fine as is.

Having said that I should at least make clear what the custom OS is all about.

Basically we've added NOS fueling/spark tables, a Valet mode and a Bad Fuel Mode. These options can be enabled via a spare pin on the ECM connector or switched via the V2 on the CAN bus (with optional password access).

Cheers,
Ross

XLR8NSS
September 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
I am not sure what the problem was but, the g/cyl was limited to .8 g/cyl until 4000rpm give or take at wot. Around 4000 rpm it would jump to 1.10 g/cyl which was very noticeable. This was with a 2 bar sensor(scaled properly), MAF, and using the 2 bar Virtual VE setup. It would also be dangerously lean until 4000 rpm

I went back to a 1 bar sensor/MAF tune using PE to fuel at wot and it works great. I see over 1 g/cyl from the hit now and AFR is good also.

I am not sure what the deal is. Maybe I should start a new thread on it?

GMPX
September 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, start a new thread so it doesn't get lost in here.

Cheers,
Ross

XLR8NSS
September 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
New thread started. :)

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8950

GMPX
October 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to give everyone an update on what is happening with these new custom OS's.

There hasn't been too much work on these over the last few weeks as we've been busy getting our 2009 support up to date for the next software update, however, behind the scenes there has been a bit of testing going on which so far has been pretty good.
I recently made another change to the operation of the custom OS's that will mean I will need to get our beta testers to go through everything again. This will be the last operational change made, so if all goes well we will start to roll these custom OS's out (for both E38 & E67).

Here's some features of what the additional functions are in the custom OS -

Valet Mode MPH & RPM Limiters, activated from the V2 hardware (with the option of a password).
Bad Fuel Mode, forces low octane table, activated from the V2 hardware.
NOS Mode spark and fuel tables, activated from the V2 hardware or from a spare ECM input.
ECM spare output 1, switched on based on various parameters (RPM, MAP etc), good for water injection etc.
ECM spare output 2, same as above except this output can also be turned on above a knock threshold.

A couple of people have asked about a 2bar & SD OS for the E38, again, such a thing is not necessary for the E38 or E67 as they support 2 bar and SD operation from the factory.

Cheers,
Ross

swingtan
October 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the update Ross.

Are we any closer to getting DMA PID support for BBL in the E38 COS ?

Simon

ChipsByAl
October 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Any possibility of electric fan control for the E67 in one of these operating systems?
Al

GMPX
October 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the update Ross.

Are we any closer to getting DMA PID support for BBL in the E38 COS ?

Simon
Yes, it's done and will be in the next update.

Any possibility of electric fan control for the E67 in one of these operating systems?
Al

Do any factory vehicles currently do this on the E67?

Cheers,
Ross

ChipsByAl
October 9th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ross there are several vehicles with the E67 and e-fans. The 2006 CADILLAC STS-V, the 2007 and 2008 “LS4” 5.3L V8 ( LS4 ) & the 3.9Ls built for the Buick Terazza, Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac Montana SV6 and Saturn Relay are equipped with the high-line E67 ECM. The Cadillac is the only rear wheel drive vehicle. The 2007 & 2008 LS4 ECM is probably the closest match to the rear wheel drive LS2 in the Trailblazer SS/Saab 97X/GMC Envoy which has a mechanical only cooling fan.
Al

GMPX
October 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
In that case Al, it's not a custom OS thing, if we added the fan controls in to the normal OS's then the custom OS would get them too.

I do get hounded a lot for the fan controls, my head hurts whenever I look at it because there is about 100 calibrations alone on fan control.

Cheers,
Ross

Tre-Cool
May 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Guys, i have one of the custom os's in my car from Dan and im wanting to use the valet mode for security. When will the ability to turn on valet mode be available via the v2 hardware?

though i reakon i'm pretty safe, there have been quite a few hipo cars stolen in perth lately, so if being locked at 60kph and a 2000rpm limiter increases the chances they might dump the car close bye.

Cheers

swingtan
May 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
The ability is already there. You need to set up the V2 to be able to do it though.

In the "options.txt" file, you need the following section added to allow for the switching....

; __________________________________________________ _______________________
*SW_GAS
;
;Switchable tune list for E38 gas vehicles
;-----------------------------------------
;
;Description (not more than 16 characters)
;-----------------------------------------
Stock Tune
Valet Mode
Low Octane
Tow Mode
Not Used

Then when using the V2, you do the following...

From the home menu, enter F3, F3, then select the tune you want.

The selected tune will remain active through PCM resets, so resting the PCM will not turn off Valet mode etc. If you loose the V2, you'll be stuck in whatever mode you have set until you find another V2.

Simon.

thelsxguy
February 20th, 2016, 05:19 PM
back from the dead ! :) anyway I could get this os system for my ls7 e38 .been looking for a valet mode. would really appreciate it

GMPX
February 21st, 2016, 09:24 AM
Sorry, 7 years on we aren't going to resurrect this as there was very little interest in the beginning.

thelsxguy
February 21st, 2016, 05:20 PM
Sorry, 7 years on we aren't going to resurrect this as there was very little interest in the beginning.

Seems to be the latest rage here in the States, since everyone wants to have a 2 step in their car. I've been told people use the valet mode to do so with great results. Let me know would love to play around with it regardless. Could feature it in a tech article .

izaks
June 6th, 2016, 10:32 PM
What operating systems are supported

GMPX
June 7th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I don't recall the exact list but we stopped adding it after about 2010 models from memory.

izaks
June 7th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks,

Going through all the OS's for all MY, 2011 is the last one supported.

I needed one for a 2012 and it was not supported.