PDA

View Full Version : Permant wiring OBD2 with Cat5

nonnieselman
August 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hey guys,
I'd like to permantly wire a Cat5 to the wires goin to the OBD2 connector so I won't have to keep unhookin my cable to tune someone elses ride..

Just wonderin if anybody could help me with a Pin Out of what goes where and the order of the wires on the RJ45 connector.

Thanks guys!
Jonathan

GMPX
August 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Best bet would be to contact of of our resellers and buy a spare cable, they aren't that expensive (maybe $20 - $30), for the price it will save you a lot of messing around. Remember, it only seems cheaper until you blow something up :shock:

Cheers,
Ross

Dale
August 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I have a cat5 plug in MY car so that I dont have to keep hooking the one cable up. I dont see how it would help when your tuning others cars though?

ahajr
August 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I built my own cable using a obdII pigtail. I needed to be able to switch between my DashHawk and EFILive V2. I now have a purpose built y-cord with the DashHawk side power switched, all routed under the dash and console. I didn't want to plug/unplug, and run the cables everytime I switch to tuning/logging mode, so now I can switch off the DH and plug up the V2.

The pigtail came from obd2cables.com, I already had a radio shack cat5 crimper and plugs. It took about 2 hours to build. I also used a cat5 panel jack in the console, so now I just use a regular 2Ft cat5 cord to connect to the car. Same setup for the lc-1 wideband using a rj-11 panel jack and a short 6 wire cord.

I used a ohm meter in continuity mode to make sure I got all the pins exactly right (check and triple check). I don't have the piece of paper I created the pinout on, but it's easy enough to map it out. Burying that harness in the car was the hard part.

Good luck.

nonnieselman
August 28th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have a cat5 plug in MY car so that I dont have to keep hooking the one cable up. I dont see how it would help when your tuning others cars though?

Well i want to put the Cat5 cable in my truck and tuck it under the dash out of the way. And leave the EFI Live Cable in my console so i wont have to keep routing it behind the dash everytime i have to tune or scan a vechicle.

Dale
August 29th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Ok, that makes much more sense. You made the comment with other peoples cars which made me wonder how it would help in OTHERS. With yours it makes alot of sense.

I wired my cat5 in to the back of the stock port. I just ohmed out which wire was which, and connected. Worked first time.

nonnieselman
August 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Ok, that makes much more sense. You made the comment with other peoples cars which made me wonder how it would help in OTHERS. With yours it makes alot of sense.

I wired my cat5 in to the back of the stock port. I just ohmed out which wire was which, and connected. Worked first time.

Ha, sorry bout that...
Well i unbolted my OBD port and its connected to the EFI Live wire and tucked under the dash so i wont kick it when gettin in..
And id like to connect the wires to the back of the Port and hide the wires..

Cat5 has 8 wires... Is there that many connections on the OBD port?

ahajr
August 29th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Yes they use all 8 wires.