PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting started

reaperSS
September 8th, 2008, 06:35 AM
so i am thinking about getting into tunning my car, and i was wondering what i need to get and how to get started.

DETAILS: i have a 2002 SS camaro, and will mainly be leaning towards tunning LS based motors. I have ported t/b, lid, headers, custom y, cam, short throw, and a tune from before the cam.

my questions are if i decide to do this what will i need?

i have on this forum the past few days reading as much as i can and believe that i am fully capable of this and it seems like the community here is very helpful. what program would be suited to my needs? what products do i need? basically im coming in green. all help is appreciated.

thanks, Reaper

TAQuickness
September 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forum reaperSS! You found the right place.

What you need will depend mainly on your goals. For what you've listed, the V1 hardware and a laptop should get you going. If there is any possibility you'll want to tune a Gen4 PCM, you may want to opt for V2. Also, if you want to minimize lugging a laptop to the car for tuning V2 will be your best bet.

Aside from that, read all you can and post your questions. There are lots of folks here more than willing to help out. I'm sure others will chime in soon with more advice.

reaperSS
September 8th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks! yes i will be tunning a genIV pcm as well. so i think im gonna opt for the V2 just b/c ive been reading and it just sounds like the better way to go. As far as the laptop goes, when i had it tunned the first time it was done this way with EFI and a laptop. But what i was wondering is if i go the V2 way do i have all the capabilites with the scan tool as i would with the laptop?