PDA

View Full Version : Serial wideband.....CAN or RS232?

Redline Motorsports
September 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Can someone confirm if the serial output is either CAN or RS232? I am looking at purchasing an expensive WB and want to make sure it puts out the correct serial data.

Thanks

Howard

TFZ_Z06
September 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Can someone confirm if the serial output is either CAN or RS232? I am looking at purchasing an expensive WB and want to make sure it puts out the correct serial data.

Thanks

Howard

The RJ connector is an input for SERIAL data. You should be able to wire up a wideband device that is serial with +/- and transmit line. Using custom
calcs, you should be able to configure it.

Redline Motorsports
September 9th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I meant input not output......thanks....

The following is a air fuel meter I am looking to buy and BELIEVE it should work. Not sure about the outputs in serial are what V2 reads.

This is the unit; http://www.ecm-co.com/afr1200.asp

What is involved in calibrating the V2 to use another brand of wideband not listed in the current data base?

Howard

joecar
September 9th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Howard,

Is this what you mean: the LC-1 serial out and the V2 serial port are RS-232.

Redline Motorsports
September 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Joe,

To be honest, I got no idea on what I am trying to confirm! I simply asked the guys who make this wideband if it will put OUT a serial signal. They then asked if I was looking for CAN or RS232. I think it does both so theoretically this unit should work.

If I did proceed with this unit, what is involved with setting up a new pid for the new output? I assume that even though its serial that its still a 0-5 volt signal........just cleaner?

Thanks

Howard

TAQuickness
September 9th, 2008, 05:14 AM
There is a bit more to it than 0-5 vdc. CAN and RS232 are digital communication protocols that are not 1 in the same. I don't have access to my gear to dig around, but it might require a firmware update to support communication to that WB - I'm not sure how the guys are implementing protocol detection.

TFZ_Z06
September 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I meant input not output......thanks....

The following is a air fuel meter I am looking to buy and BELIEVE it should work. Not sure about the outputs in serial are what V2 reads.

This is the unit; http://www.ecm-co.com/afr1200.asp

What is involved in calibrating the V2 to use another brand of wideband not listed in the current data base?

Howard

The input RJ connector on North side of device is where the FlashScan receives serial data. The EFI Live guys WILL be required to program the flashscan firmware so that it recognizes the packets, format thrown at it by the new wideband device. Otherwise, it will fail.

I have personally written software that utilizes the LC1 and LM1 data packets so I have a pretty good idea of this.

Your new wideband did state bidirection RS232, so thats good news. At worse case, you could wire in analog outputs and write calc pids to cover you short term while the EFI LIVE guys update the firmware.

The other question is whether or not the new wideband mfg is willing to release the protocol to the public. It would only make sense, but if they have their own software, beware.

joecar
September 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Howard,

Show them this post: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8115

and explain that the LC-1 and LM-1 output the AFR in serial stream form using the protocol shown in the attached PDF...

Then explain that FlashScan V2 has been programmed to recognize the serial AFR streams for various different widebands...

They would have to communicate with Paul so that they and he can agree on a format.

Most likely, they already have such a protocol/format implemented, but show them the above anyway, that way they will be clear.

Cheers,
Joe
:)

TFZ_Z06
September 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Howard,

Show them this post: http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8115

and explain that the LC-1 and LM-1 output the AFR in serial stream form using the protocol shown in the attached PDF...

Then explain that FlashScan V2 has been programmed to recognize the serial AFR streams for various different widebands...

They would have to communicate with Paul so that they and he can agree on a format.

Most likely, they already have such a protocol/format implemented, but show them the above anyway, that way they will be clear.

Cheers,
Joe
:)

I guess you know that protocol wont' work w/LC1. The subpacket size is only 4 bytes vs 14 for the LM1. :cheers:

joecar
September 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I guess you know that protocol wont' work w/LC1. The subpacket size is only 4 bytes vs 14 for the LM1. :cheers:Yes, the title in the pdf says "LM-1 Serial Logger Specification #1"... is that what you mean...? :)