PDA

View Full Version : Using the pcm controlled shift light

Chris81
September 8th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, i'm not the greatest with electrical stuff, could someone help me with instructions on how to setup a shift light in my 2002 Z06?

I found a couple of threads on this, but i'm a little confused on what exactly to do as far as the wiring using the pcm pins and building a light (i'd like to do my own LEDs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GMPX
September 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
LED's don't work too well, you need to use real globes. The LED's will stay lit (dim) when not on.
If using a globe one side needs to go to +12V Ign, the other side to the PCM pin, but sorry, I don't recall the pin number.
FYI, on the Holden HSV they had a shift light from factory, they always false triggered, it's not the best system to use for a real shift light.

Cheers,
Ross

Garry
September 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
LEDs are pretty much fine - I've got some (6) ultra-bright yellow LEDs ... I hooked them up for starters to see how "bad" the glow during off-time is ... it's not too bad ... anyway, if it's too much for you, you can always add a bit of electronics to control the light with a transistor ...
Anyway, I got mine in the air duct of the center console ... nice and mostly invisible ... ;) if I don't want to see it at night, I can just close the vents ;)
Oh, and I've not had any problems with "wrong" triggering - they've not come on too early or outside the shift range, and according to my quartermile logs, it came on at the right time ;)

GMPX
September 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Nice one, I just remember riding in Paul's (ex) HSV GTS which had a shiftlight fitted from factory, it used to come on (with an annoying beep) when taking off from a stand still every now and then :shock:

Cheers,
Ross

jpalamar
December 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Nice one, I just remember riding in Paul's (ex) HSV GTS which had a shiftlight fitted from factory, it used to come on (with an annoying beep) when taking off from a stand still every now and then :shock:

Cheers,
Ross

My GTO has the shift light built in, but disabled from GM. Any idea how to enable it?