PDA

View Full Version : Help please for a newbie-LS3 into 05 Maloo

MyM8V8
September 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hello there.

Just bought efilive and on the bottom of a steep learning curve.

I have an HSV 05 Maloo Ute Auto with, E40, LS2 (24x) and L65E. I have questions:

1. I want to install a GM LS3 480 HP motor which has 58x reluctor and have also been offered a new E38 with performance tune to suit it. Can I transpose/swap the ECM's, and what are the implications. Will it run my Guages (Car bought in NZ so in Km's) and co-exist with the trans.

2.Can I use efilive license on both ECM's to do the swap.

3. If the above is not practical what are the implications of changing the reluctor in the LS3 back to a 24X, and run on the original E40, I know about the cam wheels as well.

4. I have been reading joecars articles on L60E transmission tuning, very good indeed. I want to improve the trans tune so I can go to the drags on RWYB days (Looking into a stall ATM). His articles refer to cells that don't correlate to the ones in my L65E , and looking at my tune it seems as though HSV may well have improved on things to a certain extent. Where can I find L65E specific information or would anyone have the time to look at my trans tune and see how I can improve it for my purpose?

Bear in mind I am a newbie to Efilive, fuel injection and auto transmission, but have been studying hard. I raced stock cars many years ago but it was all big blocks, carbs and mags back then.

Many thanks if you have time to reply.

ringram
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hi mate, Id check out the L98 into LS1 thread in here too.
Similar applies I recon. Best to pop a 24x on there :)
Efilive will handle both ECM's no problem.

You can also try ls1tech.com converstions thread.

GMPX
September 10th, 2008, 10:01 AM
For the money you will spend on the conversion you could easily get that LS2 over 500Hp. It's actually harder to do late model engine swaps than say a LS3 in to something from the 60's. Generally if you install a different ECM type from a different year you will run in to all sorts of issues with the instrument cluster not working correctly, ABS issues.
Just my 02cents (2p) worth, seen it before, always ends up a nightmare.

Cheers,
Ross

ChipsByAl
September 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
If the deal on the LS3 is hard to pass up, go the 24X reluctor route. The wheel is under $25 US and Goodson has a tool to install it. Check out http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=4147 I would recommend making sure you can get a hold of the tools necessary to disassemble and reassemble the engine properly.

MyM8V8
September 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
If the deal on the LS3 is hard to pass up, go the 24X reluctor route. The wheel is under $25 US and Goodson has a tool to install it. Check out http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=4147 I would recommend making sure you can get a hold of the tools necessary to disassemble and reassemble the engine properly.

Hi Al, thanks for the info. How hard or easy is it to get the reluctor position wrong? I've heard that if you get it .001 out, the motor won't work.

Doing the swap is not a problem for me, but I would like to know that I have got the setup right before re-installing the crank.

Wonder if anyone else on here has actually done this mod'?

Cheers Gareth

ringram
September 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Yep, 24x FTW :)

MyM8V8
September 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Yep, 24x FTW :)

Hi Rich,

Did it work first time or were there problems.

Do you have to do a crank relearn procedure?

Cheers